Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

serious rage issues and ability to go from calm to screaming at 30+ junior troops with dissapointed dad anger in a split second.

Smdh you could have made a great Chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Nobody that knows anything thinks that there's any way to rescue the submersible dudes, but it'd be a bad look for the Navy to be like "those dudes are hosed; we're not going to waste resources pinging around for a few days."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cerekk posted:

Nobody that knows anything thinks that there's any way to rescue the submersible dudes, but it'd be a bad look for the Navy to be like "those dudes are hosed; we're not going to waste resources pinging around for a few days."

Plus finding anything at all is good practice for an emergency where they might be able to do something constructive.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

US Berder Patrol posted:

Smdh you could have made a great Chief

I was told in A-school I could be a seven or eight year Chief. scared me right out of the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

I was told in A-school I could be a seven or eight year Chief. scared me right out of the Navy

I flubbed my test focusing on my civilian job and messed up the 8 year plan.
Oh well at least I’m a GS11 now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Oh well at least I’m a GS11 now.

That's like a full bird captain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MarcusSA posted:

That's like a full bird captain.

More like an O-2, but still, :unsmith:. GS-15 is O-6 equivalent, and Flag-equivalent is SES.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More like an O-2, but still, :unsmith:. GS-15 is O-6 equivalent, and Flag-equivalent is SES.

gonna be here in fifteen years talking about how im a vice admiral equivalent at my GS job and you should all suck my dick from the back

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheWeedNumber posted:

gonna be here in fifteen years talking about how im a vice admiral equivalent at my GS job and you should all suck my dick from the back

There are actually people who unironically do this. :smith:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

I think the hope is the tourist sub might be fouled in the wreckage on the bottom, we don't have manned rescue vehicles that can dive that deep, but we do have salvage ROVs that are operated from a mothership that could help cut away wreckage and free the sub.

I agree they're probably hosed though.

Given the time it takes that trashcan sub to reach the seafloor and when contact was lost, it's extremely unlikely they even made it to the bottom.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Given the time it takes that trashcan sub to reach the seafloor and when contact was lost, it's extremely unlikely they even made it to the bottom.

Oh they made it to the bottom all right

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I only do it to the retired chiefs that sign their loving emails with NAVY CHIEF (RET) HOOYAH and start conversations with "When I was in the Navy"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Reminds me of the past couple of months in noble land at the squadron.

First, we had a big ole flag panel come to the training squadron to talk about the maritime patrol community, but it quickly turned into the admirals complaining about/ asking us why no one was wanting to stay in for DH; it's so bad that apparently, even the NFOs aren't staying onboard in the numbers they need. When folks brought up the usual things such as: quality of life, admin responsibilities, and the fact that manning is still stuck in a mentality of families being a sailor dude with a stay-at-home wife instead of spouses with their careers, the admirals mostly just complained that our generation has different values and vaguely insinuated we didn't value service to the country over our own self-interest. :rolleyes: It didn't help too that they were convinced that since the Navy's structure worked out so well for them, it couldn't be so bad for us (the phrase, "I was going to get out, but then"... was uttered so many times it lost all meaning).

The other was a couple of weeks ago at an all-khaki meeting. XO wanted to address concerns that the command was undermanned, so he broke down the manning/billeting difference and showed that for the temporary influx of reservists, transitions, and foreign students, we were undermanned, and that, technically, per the manning construct of the Navy, we are only planned to have something like 70ish to 80% of our actual manning, and since we were at that, we were exceeding the Navy's expectations for us. This was after a particularly rough week where folks were getting double and triple tapped for stuff, and we'd just lost a sailor to suicide, so his message about how things aren't so bad for us compared to other places went over about as well as you can expect.

Taking the pulse of the Wardroom between those panels and XO's talk, I'm at about five folks now who've now decided that: surprise, surprise, they're going to get out of the Navy rather than try and stick it out for a career.

Again though, this is just officer cringing, I can only imagine how much more it sucks for the sailors. Based on my late-night watch talks with LPOs stuck on duty, our sailors are working their dammed hardest and are getting ground down to the nub on their freaking shore tours and we're supposed to be the """"good""" community.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Controller Chat

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Apparently the step son of the rich dude that died in that submarine went to a Blink 182 show and I hope they dedicated Man Overboard to him

I know they aren't officially dead yet but come on.

I also know that he didn't go overboard, but I'm pretty sure that if the band had a heads up about it, Tom would have absolutely dedicated it to him.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You will address me by my fake-equivalent-pretend rank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

You will address me by my fake-equivalent-pretend rank.

LTJG Crab Dad, EsqUIV.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Somebody post that West Wing clip.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Flyinglemur posted:

Apparently the step son of the rich dude that died in that submarine went to a Blink 182 show and I hope they dedicated Man Overboard to him

I know they aren't officially dead yet but come on.

I also know that he didn't go overboard, but I'm pretty sure that if the band had a heads up about it, Tom would have absolutely dedicated it to him.

Funny story about that.

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1671347131624611840

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Somebody post that West Wing clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKQHCjC3wUI

To be fair, in the context it's used, it's borderline forgivable, but it should've been "I'm Josh Lyman, I'm the White House Deputy Chief of Staff, tell me where my secretary is."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is a loving Archer episode turned real I swear to God.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

I had a long post typed up, but deleted it. Instead I will say that things are way worse than even this article makes it seem.

As an aside, they also did a senior SWO survey like this for O5s and O6s. They've been a lot more quiet about it because it didn't go well either.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I don't have any real expertise here, but I always figured it wasn't healthy for the SWO community that washouts from every other community get sent to be SWOs to do a job that they didn't sign up for and that isn't actually substantially easier than the job they washed out of.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I mention this every time SWOs come up but it’s wild to me that y’all expected to do jobs that in the civilian world are two completely different four year diplomas / degrees, and we don’t have weapons or the amount of admin bullshit y’all do.

And no we’re no expected to move across departments. You’re a deck officer, you stay a deck officer. You might change ship types at some point, but that’s as far as is goes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I had a long post typed up, but deleted it. Instead I will say that things are way worse than even this article makes it seem.

As an aside, they also did a senior SWO survey like this for O5s and O6s. They've been a lot more quiet about it because it didn't go well either.

Well that’s depressing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Any time you have to have someone address the little people about how things aren't as bad as they think it is, that's only because it's gotten so bad that the Nobs' malign indifference can't ignore the situation, but they'd really like you to just accept the dehumanizing experience and let them get back to ignoring you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FrozenVent posted:

I mention this every time SWOs come up but it’s wild to me that y’all expected to do jobs that in the civilian world are two completely different four year diplomas / degrees, and we don’t have weapons or the amount of admin bullshit y’all do.

And no we’re no expected to move across departments. You’re a deck officer, you stay a deck officer. You might change ship types at some point, but that’s as far as is goes.

If they actually offered pipelines like that, you’d have better SWO retention. I know some people who would have been wonderful to keep in the pilothouse but should never be anywhere near an engine room and vice versa.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Well that’s depressing.

You just summed up SWO life.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You just summed up SWO life.

The only happy SWOs I met were those that lat transferred to IW communities

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

The only happy SWOs I met were those that lat transferred to IW communities

I tried but SWO wouldn't let me :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One thing being a SWO taught me was how to develop a unique signature that I can sign hundreds of times every monday morning as i review maintenance logs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It doesn't help that at the O-5+ level, everything becomes a hosed up test of how loyal you are to your job over your family and how much you impress the frat, sorry, the *board* who decides if you advance or not.

I know I've said it before but my father got passed over for O-6 three times before finally retiring in Feb 2001. He blamed us for years, and more specifically, my mother, because he turned down his bonus command tour at the RAG on the west coast. My mother, ever the consummate Navy wife, said she'd do it, but HE decided that *I* didn't deserve to be pinballed from Norfolk to Sigonella to North Island to ??? inside of five years' time, especially when I was about to start middle and high school.

But because he turned down the bonus command, they hosed him because obviously he wasn't "serious enough" about his career, even though he'd selected early for O-5 after getting through the NWC, and had a blemish-free command tour in Sigonella.

(Of course it also didn't help that he was an HC weenie and even in today's Naval Aviation community I've heard the helo guys have to bite, claw, and scratch their way into O-6 and Flag rank)

In the end, their loving him over probably saved his life and worked out way better for him. He made tons of connections at the Annex which he parlayed into a contractor job, and when that folded he had a new job in the same field within two weeks. Also, if he'd made O-6 he'd probably be dead right now because he had an aneurysm in 2007 that he only survived because he was in the right place at the right time with the right medical care and circumstances instead of being off being an attache somewhere.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Listening to the LeBatard show today and they had a former sub captain on for two segments, because they've been obsessed with the story.

Was a good interview, and at the end Dan asked him what he and other submariners are saying about this behind closed doors.

"Yeah they're dead." Everyone's reaction was pretty funny

Here's the whole interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K531SrFDGTg

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 21, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FrozenVent posted:

From my time drinking with British RN sailors, the Brits have a much more reasonable approach to this, officers stay in their own "track" until they reach command level.

Senior Elnlisted also go through multiple follow-on schools, and bear a much larger portion of admin and watchstanding duties than their US counterparts. They're also viewed a lot more as competent, valued professionals, instead of the permanent underclass the US Navy has.

That's for their Submarine O's, and most of that info I got after drinking half a bottle of Scotch, but I'd imagine it holds true for their surface fleet too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Listening to the LeBatard show today and they had a former sub captain on for two segments, because they've been obsessed with the story.

Was a good interview, and at the end Dan asked him what he and other submariners are saying about this behind closed doors.

"Yeah they're dead." Everyone's reaction was pretty funny

Here's the whole interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K531SrFDGTg

They're either crushed or tangled in wreckage and either way they're dead as gently caress. It didn't surface on its own so they're dead, doesn't really matter whether they became gelatinous cubes under 6000PSI of water or if they suffocated and will be mummified in their weird fleshlight submarine.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

orange juche posted:

They're either crushed or tangled in wreckage and either way they're dead as gently caress. It didn't surface on its own so they're dead, doesn't really matter whether they became gelatinous cubes under 6000PSI of water or if they suffocated and will be mummified in their weird fleshlight submarine.

Right, but a lot of the media,, including this show, has treated the "crew" as if they were still alive. And for most of the interview this guy was doing the same. But then it was like, "no they're dead" and I don't think a lot of civilians understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
News needs to have a story and everyone gets to play with their sonar toys while there is still (lol) hope