Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

"We noticed you from across the tube and really dig your vibes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

zedprime posted:

sitting criss cross apple sauce

This is like the 10th time I've seen this phrase in the last few days (across threads but mostly referring to how people sit in the sub) and it rankles me in a way I can't define. Is this some loving regionalism where kids from x area of the country all learned it like this? It just comes across as childish language and is very jarring when reading a post clearly written by an adult. Why would you not use "cross-legged"?

I'm not saying this dislike is rational or anything but presumed-adults using this phrase is just really weird to me since there's a defined (shorter) term for it that doesn't rely on silly rhymes for children.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This is like the 10th time I've seen this phrase in the last few days (across threads but mostly referring to how people sit in the sub) and it rankles me in a way I can't define. Is this some loving regionalism where kids from x area of the country all learned it like this? It just comes across as childish language and is very jarring when reading a post clearly written by an adult. Why would you not use "cross-legged"?

I'm not saying this dislike is rational or anything but presumed-adults using this phrase is just really weird to me since there's a defined (shorter) term for it that doesn't rely on silly rhymes for children.

I don't remember it being used when I was a kid but I guess it's a thing teachers would tell the kids when they'd sit in a circle on the floor.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It’s making fun of how these insanely wealthy people have to sit in their sub coffin. The joke is the juxtaposition of the childish phrasing and the insane horror of their demise. I hope this helps fellow goon

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I grew up in the South and we learned it in preschool as a way to sit down on the carpet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

smoobles posted:

I'm not an engineer, but building a submarine with a failsafe ballast that lets you float to the surface if you lose power, but a door that only opens from the outside, seems like an oversight
Good news, the ballast only lets you float to the surface if everybody gets on one side to unhook a bunch of pipes from Home Depot.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Getting a lot of credit here I probably don't need.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's the thing they teach kids now because the wokes won't let you call it injun style anymore :rolleyes:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don't know guys it seems legit

quote:

Sources close to the rescue say two British deep water salvage companies - Ocean Infinity and Magellan - were three to four days away from sending equipment but it is believed the US coast guard decided not to fund the export.

It is thought that US President Joe Biden is now involved and the two British salvage companies have been told to stand down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/heymatey_/status/1671467406819053569

lmao

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

folding the submersible hot dog style

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yes, it's an extremely common phrase used in kindergartens across the United States. It has a doubly dark meaning in this context as well, as they were sitting criss-cross and are now likely crushed into apple sauce.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Because as I grew up the other popular phrase was "sit indian-style"

Motherfucker, any way I sit is that style.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

stealie72 posted:

Rich fucks become rich fucks by socializing risk and privatizing profit. This is nothing new.

Personally not sure why they are spending tax dollars trying to rescue people who deliberately operated outside the law and regulation to the point it's in their goddamn FAQ. They can feel free to Free Market Solution their way out of this pickle.

A-fuckin' men

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I bet they crashed into the Titanic's hull and let the cursed mummy that cause it to sink in the first place escape because that is exactly what some moron billionaires would do.

The mummy did nothing wrong!!!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

The silly nonsense isn't so bad when you consider a huge portion of the population is still saying "Indian style"

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

The Bananana posted:

A-fuckin' men

There has been a lot of online sentiment against the people on this submersible and people like them, which is honestly kind of surprising.

But I am LOVING it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Closest to a non-detestable billionaire is the RIM founder who was a legit engineer that cashed out right when Apple released the iPhone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Fregin
I watched the blackberry biopic and he was portrayed as some "no work, all play" supernerd, then I read that the filmmakers went with this portrayal because the biography the movie was based on didn't have much detail on what he was actually like

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

We were denied the joy of watching Bezos' rear end getting blown up in his dildo-shaped rocket a few years back, so now we're watching another couple of rich douches gently caress around and find out. Nothing wrong with that.
a privatized space disaster is much like the avatar sequels: delayed but inevitable

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Rich fucks become rich fucks by socializing risk and privatizing profit. This is nothing new.

Personally not sure why they are spending tax dollars trying to rescue people who deliberately operated outside the law and regulation to the point it's in their goddamn FAQ. They can feel free to Free Market Solution their way out of this pickle.

Just gonna quote this one more time. Amen.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Droogie posted:

Because as I grew up the other popular phrase was "sit indian-style"

Motherfucker, any way I sit is that style.

I think most places are trying to go away from phrases like that and "lets pow wow" to be more culturally sensitive

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SalTheBard posted:

I think most places are trying to go away from phrases like that and "lets pow wow" to be more culturally sensitive

I've always had reservations about that phrase myself.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

"criss cross apple sauce" works because they look like a bunch of elderly children sitting proudly in their pillow fort.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i call it "sitting like a dead billionaire"

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

criss cross apple sauce chad
vs
rankled virgin

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

He isn't wrong. We will remember him because he broke laws like "humans can't survive in high pressure environments" and "humans need oxygen to live".

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Pookah posted:

"criss cross apple sauce" works because they look like a bunch of elderly children sitting proudly in their pillow fart.

FTFY

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He isn't wrong. We will remember him because he broke laws like "humans can't survive in high pressure environments" and "humans need oxygen to live".

Just like chester A Arthur

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nooner posted:

It's the thing they teach kids now because the wokes won't let you call it injun style anymore :rolleyes:

Yeh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LordoftheScheisse posted:

There has been a lot of online sentiment against the people on this submersible and people like them, which is honestly kind of surprising.

They shouted their hubris like a man standing before Zeus and begging for a lightning bolt up the rear end. Even by the standards of rich rear end in a top hat adventurers, these folks were a cut above. It's like when someone goes out to hunt an endangered animal and gets their face bitten off.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

So, lets say they weren't insta-killed by an implosion and they're down there running out of air.

when they die, will they they decompose or will the sealed ice cold container keep them fresh?

Then that toilet window will be something for future billionaires to look through

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pookah posted:

"criss cross apple sauce" works because they look like a bunch of elderly children sitting proudly in their pillow fort.

It's this.

If someone is sitting like that being a normal person, they're just sitting crosse-legged.

If they're sitting like that doing something stupid, or a literal child, then it's criss-cross apple sauce.

Context matters.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ratjaculation posted:

So, lets say they weren't insta-killed by an implosion and they're down there running out of air.

when they die, will they they decompose or will the sealed ice cold container keep them fresh?

They would die from CO2 poisoning. There would still be plenty of oxygen in the ship so yes they will rot.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
If the conditions become anoxic enough the aerobic bacteria will also not survive and the corpses will just stay there preserved and desiccated until the Earth is swallowed by a dying Sun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some guy who went before said they have CO2 scrubbers and also I read they heard what they thought was banging on the hull with the underwater mics

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i thought they were calling it ocean gate to try and scandalize it, I didn't realize that's actually the name of their death sub company, lmfao

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Holy gently caress, do you guys know how many successful dives Titan has actually made to the Titanic?

Plus an undisclosed number of test dives - according to a company filing, they say they carried out "over 50" test dives, including some to the same depth as the Titanic.
These tests were done in the Bahamas.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

I'm curious why SEA PATROL has been so quiet through all this. They have the technology to make this a quick rescue.......or recover the human goo, depending on which is needed.

SEA PATROL would be down there holding the sub on the bottom to make sure those scooby doos paid for their crimes.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Nooner posted:

lol yep. was always called "indian style" at my kindergarten/preschool/whatever

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

T3hRen3gade posted:

Yes, it's an extremely common phrase used in kindergartens across the United States. It has a doubly dark meaning in this context as well, as they were sitting criss-cross and are now likely crushed into apple sauce.

:drat:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pookah posted:

Holy gently caress, do you guys know how many successful dives Titan has actually made to the Titanic?

Plus an undisclosed number of test dives - according to a company filing, they say they carried out "over 50" test dives, including some to the same depth as the Titanic.
These tests were done in the Bahamas.

the Notoriously DEEP Bahamas!?!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i wonder if the Titanic was named after this lovely submarine? if so, very cool tribute.