Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Have you ever seen how Yngwie stores his strats? Yeah it'll be just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fullroundaction posted:

Have you ever seen how Yngwie stores his strats? Yeah it'll be just fine.

lol just stacked like cords of wood.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

any (authentic) damage just makes it cooler

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

luchadornado posted:

Build a few pedals and hundreds of solders later you will be a master.

This but eurorack module kits

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also while we're doing a quick DIY thing, one piece of advice I want to impart on everyone is you want to own good solder flux and the best is:

Amtech NC-559-V2-TF Tacky Flux 10ml Syringe
https://www.amazon.com/Amtech-Solder-Flux-NC-559-V2-TF-16150/dp/B01DR62IYY

I am not paid by any of these people this stuff has just saved my rear end countless times. If you have a solder braid and some amtech you'll never need a solder sucker. It's much cleaner work and much less risk of raising a pad or trace.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

here's the first of a few new songs, "Dark Silent Room": https://voca.ro/1fuu3J0Jzqhs

i originally wrote it in E, but that was way too high, so i play it in drop C#. see, it's not just for 90s stuff! my guitar really hates this tuning

That was great. Quite the vocal performance!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Got my guitar in the overhead, we are so back

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

maybe i'll give it another try at some point and just try to like, replace my tele's input jack with one that doesn't lose its hex screw constantly, but idk. at the same time i'm a really scatterbrained individual, and have eternally shaky hands since i was a kid, so, maybe i'm not the soldering type.

Pick up an Electrosocket jack and never look back.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

nitsuga posted:

That was great. Quite the vocal performance!

thank you for listening :)

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
so like i'm new to electric guitars, but my first reaction to all this sketchy 50's soldering is like "yo just crimp some connectors you can like switch poo poo out and such". Is there like a scientific reason for these rat's nests?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

~*~ToNe!~*~

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

PlaneGuy posted:

so like i'm new to electric guitars, but my first reaction to all this sketchy 50's soldering is like "yo just crimp some connectors you can like switch poo poo out and such". Is there like a scientific reason for these rat's nests?

You know that comic about engineers looking at ten different standards and deciding we need an new international standard that inevitably ends up with eleven different standards? Basically that but guitar industry. Plus soldering is easy and replaceable with no proprietary parts required.

Worth noting that some companies do use connectors on cheaper guitars, particularly Epiphone, but ultimately there's no reason they would want to spend extra just to make replacing their parts easier. EMG have had quick connect stuff for years because their entire brand is about swapping your pickups out for theirs so it benefits them to make it hassle free.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 20, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

not to mention archaic poo poo like the telecaster standard solution to ground is still tucking a bit of wire below the damned bridgeplate

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i wrote a country song thinking it would be easy but playing a simple boom-chuck rhythm guitar pattern is incredibly hard, what the hell

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Whenever fender changes wiring people lose their poo poo. Throw a “S1 switch” on for example. It instantly becomes a “modern take on fender” and the whole consumer target changes. My custom shop has wax covered cloth wiring which looks ancient lol. Granted they did a nice job routing them much neater than my short lived vintera. Although can’t imagine ever changing pickups from something so unique and that also cost an arm and a leg, so besides taking a looksie at the craftsmanship I’ll likely never open that pick guard again.

There’s nothing stopping you from making hot swappable pickups or even swappable pickguards with some plugs or crimps and a little ingenuity. Fender actually has some swappable pick guard guitars they use to demo pickups if you visit their custom shop.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

i wrote a country song thinking it would be easy but playing a simple boom-chuck rhythm guitar pattern is incredibly hard, what the hell

Best way to get that alternating bass pattern down with flatpicking is just starting with something dead simple like a talking blues song
3 chords and you just play it forever until you can pick that pattern in your sleep

Here's a Dave Van Ronk example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RArU3StCg0
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/dave-van-ronk/talking-cancer-blues-chords-3708278

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a super entry level Gibson sg that has a wraparound bridge. The bridge is grounded with a wire soldered to the screw holding up the bridge (or I guess the bushing instead?) through a tiny hole that leads to the cavity and is also soldered to the ground for the rest of the electronics. The electronics are entirely mounted to the pickguard, and you can't lift the pickguard off without breaking that wire off where it's neatly impossible to replace.

My solution was to put a screw into the wood inside the cavity near what's left of the wire, solder that wire to the screw, then solder another wire with a fair amount of slack from that screw to the ground for everything else. Now I can take the pickguard off and have enough room to flip it over next to the body without disconnecting anything.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Best way to get that alternating bass pattern down with flatpicking is just starting with something dead simple like a talking blues song
3 chords and you just play it forever until you can pick that pattern in your sleep

Here's a Dave Van Ronk example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RArU3StCg0
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/dave-van-ronk/talking-cancer-blues-chords-3708278

yup, that's the stuff. i've been playing Buck Owens Act Naturally to practice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

yup, that's the stuff. i've been playing Buck Owens Act Naturally to practice

oh gently caress yeah
people love to rag on country but the real old stuff was just as technically challenging as anything in the era and had rhythm sections you could set watches to and weird harmonizing and all kinds of fun stuff

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Folk and bluegrass is fun as poo poo to play too

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

not to mention archaic poo poo like the telecaster standard solution to ground is still tucking a bit of wire below the damned bridgeplate

this is what every electric guitar does. The thing touching the strings needs to touch a ground wire to put the strings at 0 potential/reduce noise. The bridge has a lot of tension/pressure on it so a smooshed wire is sure to make a solid contact without having to solder.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Yes, if secured properly the bridge ground is at least as solid as the crimp connector from up thread. Sometimes stuff isn't changed because it works fine.

I've actually used a spare length of B string tied around the bridge saddle and then crimped under the control plate when a telecaster lost a ground at a show - bit McGyver but as a bonus you can make all sorts of hosed up noises when you accidentally catch it!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
For a lot of Teles the ground to the bridge is accomplished through the bridge pickup screws if your pickup has the copper-plated steel plate on the bottom. And if your pickup doesn't have that plate, is it even a Tele?

Most Tune-o-Matic or other Gibson-style bridges have a wire smashed under one of the tailpiece threaded inserts.

On my Harmony Rocket I used to have a wire clipped to the strings, running under the wood bridge, and pinched under the pickup. Somehow don't have a pic if it that way.

So many knobs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not saying the ground doesn't work I'm just saying it as an example of goofy 50s stuff guitars still do

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

New guitar day! The one on the right. Yeah, I like slotted headstocks.

Local shop had this in. Shop said it's a Regal RD-3, though it doesn't have a model number on it, and that search turns up very few results online. Sticker on the back says Made in Korea, and serial number suggests it was built in 1998. Plywood top, heavy finish, one crack in the finish on the top, otherwise it's in pretty great shape, no dings to speak of or even very much fretboard wear.

Not quite sure what I'll do with it, probably play around with some bluegrass picking patterns and find some easy delta blues/slide guitar type stuff to try out and see what clicks. Suggestions welcome.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gorgeous, and oooh do tell about that B&G, how does it play
I really want a small body semi-hollow electric and that's one of the few I've seen that fits the bill

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trying to get used to classical position. I like to call it the manspread. Gonna need to find a footstool tho :goleft:

Changing course entirely, how exactly does alternate picking work? If I want to pick really fast, I just sort of lock my wrist and shoulder, then open and close my elbow as an up-down motion. Apparently that’s extremely not what you’re supposed to do :shobon: What am I supposed to do instead?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
rotate your wrist like you're turning a key in a lock. your elbow should not move

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
loose is fast slow is fast

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

watch the master Dick Dale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76fGo5I-rXM

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Who wants to see inside a resonator??

Took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning. I was surprised how light the cone is, feels very fragile. I like how you can see how much the wood has darkened. I quite like the binding around the edge, a nice black-white-black strip.

Unfortunately about half of holes for the screws holding the resonator cavity cover are more or less stripped. The rest grab well enough that it is firmly in place. Also note what looks like a factory bodge at the far-right screw hole, where they added a little more meat to correct a mis-aligned hole. I laughed when I saw that.

It's all back together with fresh strings on and it sounds great. It's definitely got a unique sound nothing like my acoustics. It's kind of hollow, you can really hear the cone thumping away in there. Maybe I'll try to record a little demo.

Gorgeous, and oooh do tell about that B&G, how does it play
I really want a small body semi-hollow electric and that's one of the few I've seen that fits the bill

It's the humbucker version of their MIC line. I have three electrics, and it's my number one favorite. It's got a warm sound to it, and somehow sounds to me like it's naturally overdriven and breaks up a little bit, maybe that's a thing semi-hollows do. Compared to other modern guitars, it has a thick neck and relatively slim frets, definitely a "retro" feel to it. That may or may not be what you're looking for, but I like it a lot.

I did upgrade the tuning machines to the "pro" ones they sell from their Israel-built line. The machines that came on mine from the factory were really pretty bad with a lot of slop. It's a bit annoying because it's already an expensive guitar, but the upgraded machines are perfect. I haven't seen others mention that in reviews, so maybe I got unlucky. Other than that, zero complaints, I love the thing.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Changing course entirely, how exactly does alternate picking work? If I want to pick really fast, I just sort of lock my wrist and shoulder, then open and close my elbow as an up-down motion. Apparently that’s extremely not what you’re supposed to do :shobon: What am I supposed to do instead?

i just took some workshops with chris eldridge, we talked a lot about alternate picking. i'll try to sum it up:

humans have a mechanism to keep a constant tempo. you can see this in a group of people clapping: each person will be clapping in time with themselves. alternate picking, or pick stroke theory, takes advantage of this by keeping your body moving at a constant rhythm. so even when you aren't playing notes, your arm still kind of "bounces" with the tempo. this is why you always up-pick on upbeats: you don't want to interrupt that flow.

ergonomically, the movement required for full chord strumming and single note playing shouldn't be much different. you don't want to tighten up your wrist, or arm. the big muscles in the back of your shoulder and armpit are what makes picking easiest. think of your whole arm as a really big finger. start with strumming chords, then move to single notes, trying to keep the same style of loose motion.

this probably works best with a big acoustic where you can rest your forearm on the guitar's bout. electric may be different - not sure. also everybody is different, so just try different stuff and don't force yourself into one way of playing!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ive had to fix stripped screw holes on a resonator. Titebond and toothpicks worked a treat.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, you probably dont want to alternate pick by moving your whole forearm. Its pretty inefficient. Seat your forearm on the guitar body above and behind the bridge a bit and concentrate on a relaxed movement of the wrist, brushing across the string with the tip of the pick. Start by practicing slow, maybe by running pentatonic scales or something, and gradually speed up as it becomes more comfortable. The most important thing is to keep it relaxed and try to avoid tensing up. Practice with a metronome if you can. It will become natural pretty quickly.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, you probably dont want to alternate pick by moving your whole forearm. Its pretty inefficient. Seat your forearm on the guitar body above and behind the bridge a bit and concentrate on a relaxed movement of the wrist, brushing across the string with the tip of the pick. Start by practicing slow, maybe by running pentatonic scales or something, and gradually speed up as it becomes more comfortable. The most important thing is to keep it relaxed and try to avoid tensing up. Practice with a metronome if you can. It will become natural pretty quickly.

I just want to add to this that I usually run chromatic scales if you want to sit in front of the tv and not pay attention as much or listen to podcasts while you work.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey thread, I just found a really nice bass amp at the thrift store and it powers up but I don't have a bass. Should I just test it with my guitar?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just want to add to this that I usually run chromatic scales if you want to sit in front of the tv and not pay attention as much or listen to podcasts while you work.

Just imagine I put a gif of Skwisgaart practicing his scales in his sleep

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

petit choux posted:

Hey thread, I just found a really nice bass amp at the thrift store and it powers up but I don't have a bass. Should I just test it with my guitar?

Sure, not a problem.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Krustic posted:

Sure, not a problem.

Cool, Imma probably try to sell it on SA, it's real pretty, I was kinda sad to see it was for a bass. I'll put a pic up in a bit.

Okay, here's a couple:

Going to test it in a little bit here. Imma put this up at SA Mart probably and I'll entertain any offers immediately.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Shut the gently caress up. That looks like a portaflex, B15n. 30w all tube. Can you find what year it is? Those look like they're $1600-2500 on reverb.

How much were they asking?

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 21, 2023