Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd be shocked if anything less than a vast majority of pandemic funding was flat out stolen. The system doesn't even know how to help people anymore even if it wanted to.

According to the initial audit, it looks like about 12% to 20% of it was stolen (primarily via unemployment and PPP loan fraud in the early days of the pandemic) mostly because there was no verification, means-testing, or auditing required to take PPP loans or get the expanded unemployment for the first two years.

The $400 billion that went to state and local governments was mostly used to just keep people on the payroll. They were also supposed to use some of it to improve remote learning and retrofit school buildings, but as they gave up on remote learning and moved people back into school many schools used it for other things because they thought investing it in remote learning stuff would be a waste. Not sure if that technically counts as "stolen," but some of it was definitely treated as a "bonus" for schools that they used for things they wanted, but didn't have the budget for previously.

Depending on whether you count the schools deciding not to use the remote learning/building retrofit money on those things, somewhere between 70% and 80% of the money made it where it was supposed to go.

https://apnews.com/article/pandemic-fraud-waste-billions-small-business-labor-fb1d9a9eb24857efbe4611344311ae78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is great. At the end of the day a kid having a reason they want to learn something makes it stick 100x better than just powering through it. I learned to read on Sonic comics.

This is true all the way through life. You can pick up a programming book and learn a programming language, but you'll get it a lot more (and retain it more) if you're actually doing it because you want to make something yourself. You can take language classes, but you'll do a lot better if you actually have an interest in speaking the language.

Active engagement always makes learning easier; it's just difficult to get a whole classroom actively engaged because they're all going to be coming from different places. Also, a lot of people conflate "engaging" with "fun". Sure, it's "fun" to be engaged, but it's also easy to accidentally eliminate all the actual learning when trying to be entertaining.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t a lot of Covid relief money to states/cities/municipalities end up getting given to cops

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t a lot of Covid relief money to states/cities/municipalities end up getting given to cops

A chunk of the CARES Act and the 2021 stimulus bill went to keeping local/city/municipal employees employed during the pandemic to prevent job cuts from lower revenue for those governments who couldn't deficit spend. For a lot of counties/local governments, the police are some of the largest groups of and highest paid county/local employees. So, a chunk of it would have gone to paying their salaries.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah; a lot of schools (as well as state governments & municipalities) pared back operations & never restored them, nor do they intend to. Entire government offices & services are never coming back, and many government workers are still WFH.

But I thought schools, in particular, were provided with supplemental funding under Biden to help stabilize them. I guess if the monies aren't earmarked or otherwise specifically allocated then they go into general funding for the schools and there's no accountability.

Not to mention that so many teachers have left the profession there are probably shortages for specifics like special ed.

Yeah it’s not a no money problem.

It’s a no people problem. It takes six figures and a very big nest egg to live here now. So they pay a lot for the positions, but it doesn’t matter because housing /cost of living is so high.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SpeedFreek posted:

The better way to do that is read 5 books, they must be at least x pages long. Then you get free movie tickets or something like that.

Yeah, when I was growing up (and probably a fair chunk of you as well already know), Pizza Hut had that BookIt program where you'd get a free personal pan for so much reading.
And Hills, a defunct local department store, had at least one contest I can remember that involved reading X number of pages for a chance to win a prize.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

the_steve posted:

Yeah, when I was growing up (and probably a fair chunk of you as well already know), Pizza Hut had that BookIt program where you'd get a free personal pan for so much reading.
And Hills, a defunct local department store, had at least one contest I can remember that involved reading X number of pages for a chance to win a prize.

Pizza Hut still does this! Ours does anyway. Over the summer anyone can register; during the school year the school itself has to.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

the_steve posted:

Same. I read like mad as a kid so I wasn't lacking for motivation in the first place, but getting free pizza for it was nice.

On the broader subject, I teach history at the university level and since beginning of the pandemic I've noticed a significant decline in formal writing abilities. I used to be able to assume a level of competency and knowledge about how to write in Chicago or MLA, and just provide a writing and style guide for those in need of additional assistance. These days I have to spend a non-trivial amount of time in class pointing out how and where to cite your sources, what sources are acceptable versus not, etc.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pizza Hut still does this! Ours does anyway. Over the summer anyone can register; during the school year the school itself has to.

tbh Dominos could prolly get more kids to read if this were the payoff:

I ate Dominos once, 40 years ago, and got food poisoning but I'd try it again if a rocket man delivered it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Judgy Fucker posted:

One aspect of how new pedagogical theories percolate into school systems across the U.S. is it takes time. By the time schools are implementing some new way to do things, that research literature is already 10-20 years old.

I think it's worth pointing out that schools almost never implement the actual methods that academics turned advocates actually argued in favour.

Like, I have experienced two of those waves now and each time it has been the person developing the new way explaining how things work and how each of several different bits are important, and then the schools admins decide none of that sounds remotely cost effective and it's all too hard anyway so we'll just jettison all the important bits in place of something that superficially resembles the cool new thing that will definitely help, it that doesn't have any of the bits actually supported by research.

It's very frustrating to watch, and although similar things happen in most industries, I have never seen it happen to be extent it does in education where stuff is just thrown out willy nilly without any understanding of why it was there in the first place

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Willa Rogers posted:

I ate Dominos once, 40 years ago, and got food poisoning but I'd try it again if a rocket man delivered it.

I would comment that no domino deliveries poisoned me, but I remember like 8yr old me avoiding Applebees for years after I spent a night of a vacation throwing up from a bad chicken sandwich. So yeah I can understand the impulse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Mitt Romney fixed it in the late 2000's by making the ingredients slightly higher quality and then drenching the dough in garlic butter. It remains his greatest success in life outside of the 2002 Olympics.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People say that Dominoes is better now but I have tried it twice since then and I think it's still garbage. Luckily I live in place with lots of local options because I think the major chains have only gotten worse over the years.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
When Dominos came to town I stole $2 off my brother to chip in with my friends for "30 minutes or it's free" delivery. The pizza was small and cardboardy, unlike any pizza we'd ever had in a bustling city full of family-run pizzerias. What a rip.

Also, those two bucks were silver certificates and I've never heard the end of it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Professor Beetus posted:

People say that Dominoes is better now but I have tried it twice since then and I think it's still garbage. Luckily I live in place with lots of local options because I think the major chains have only gotten worse over the years.

Dominos is better now, but better than it used to be isn't a huge achievement. The only chain pizza I actually enjoy is Jets.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

Dominos had a CEO or some poo poo who came in and was like hey I know VC is usually used to dissolve and eat brands for money but what if we made this not suck? Really wanted to throw down on quality standards and reputation

In a lot of parts of the US the idea worked and its by far your best budget chain option

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that schools almost never implement the actual methods that academics turned advocates actually argued in favour.

Like, I have experienced two of those waves now and each time it has been the person developing the new way explaining how things work and how each of several different bits are important, and then the schools admins decide none of that sounds remotely cost effective and it's all too hard anyway so we'll just jettison all the important bits in place of something that superficially resembles the cool new thing that will definitely help, it that doesn't have any of the bits actually supported by research.

It's very frustrating to watch, and although similar things happen in most industries, I have never seen it happen to be extent it does in education where stuff is just thrown out willy nilly without any understanding of why it was there in the first place
School administrators are some of the most useless motherfuckers in America and actively make everything they touch worse. However, it looks like education departments also do a poor job of educating teachers on science-based, phonics-heavy reading methodologies ("science of reading"), with dyslexic students suffering some of the worst effects of this stupidity.

Here's a report on the matter:
https://www.nctq.org/dmsView/Teacher_Prep_Review_Strengthening_Elementary_Reading_Instruction

quote:

The status quo is far from inevitable. In fact, we know the solution to this reading crisis,
but we are not using the solution at scale. More than 50 years of research compiled by the
National Institutes of Health, and continued through further research, provides a clear
picture of how skilled reading develops and of effective literacy instruction. These strategies
and methods—collectively called scientifically based reading instruction, which is grounded
in the science of reading—could dramatically reduce the rate of reading failure. Past estimates
have found that while 3 in 10 children struggle to read (and that rate has grown higher since
the pandemic), research indicates that more than 90% of all students could learn to read if
they had access to teachers who employed scientifically based reading instruction.

quote:

Unfortunately, too many teachers are not trained in scientifically based reading instruction
during their teacher preparation programs, so they unknowingly enter the classroom
well intentioned but inadequately prepared to teach kids to read. In fact, a recent survey
conducted by Education Week found most elementary special education and K-2 teachers
(72%) say they use literacy instructional methods that incorporate practices debunked by
cognitive scientists decades ago.10 Researchers have discovered that these strategies that are
contrary to research-based practices—like teaching kids to look at the picture to help guess
a word, or skipping words they do not know—not only are unhelpful,11 but also take up
valuable instructional time that should be dedicated to research-based reading instruction.12

quote:

Research is clear on how skilled reading develops and on the practices most likely to
result in all children becoming skilled readers, as well as the instructional methods their
teachers should not be using—methods that run counter to the research. Forty percent of
programs are still teaching multiple practices contrary to long-standing research, which
can undermine the effect of scientifically based reading instruction. This report refers to
these practices as content contrary to research-based practices, or “contrary practices.”

This is a very frustrating situation - many people in education departments are apparently shockingly bad at their jobs. You'd think that classes taught by education researchers would already be doing that, but lol. On the plus side, Indiana will be mandating education departments teach science of reading to maintain accreditation, and there's similar moves in other states with bipartisan support.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/why-more-u-s-schools-are-embracing-a-new-science-of-reading
https://www.kcur.org/education/2023-06-15/missouri-wants-teachers-trained-in-the-science-of-reading-but-many-programs-dont-teach-it
https://in.chalkbeat.org/2023/6/21/23768637/science-reading-curriculum-teachers-colleges-preparation-programs-lilly-grant-nctq-report

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Suburban dipshit chud parents screaming and farting about "OPEN THE SCHOOLS" so they could stay home and work in peace definitely considered schools a "free babysitting" service, duh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Dominos thin crust is actually pretty good. Anything else there is not.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m going to use my own math skills, which I would estimate as a 500 out of 500 on that middle school test, to point out that the post pandemic drops in scores that started the conversation are about 1.5% for reading and about 3% for math. So maybe not really things we need to be drawing the biggest conclusions from. Compared to what was feared as a potential result of remote learning, it seems… not bad?

Of course the baseline scores are still bad, and their gradual improvement halting is a problem. And it’s a really big fuckin’ problem that losing 2% represents the undoing of 35 years of “progress.” If only we could apply literally any solution to education besides “have economically comfortable and educated parents.” “Throw money at it” can solve way more problems than Americans think but schooling doesn’t seem to be one of them. (Maybe they should try throwing money at the parents.)

Velocity Raptor posted:

Thanks for this. I find analyses like this fascinating.

I used to love reading as a kid, but honestly what killed it for me was mandatory reading in middle- and high-school, complete with summer reading assignments where I had to read 5 books from a list of nothing that interested me.
I read an insane amount when I was 6-12 or so - I stopped reading for pleasure at pretty much the exact second school started assigning me books to read. (gently caress you, Shiloh.) It’s been 27 years now and I still haven’t fully recovered.

Willa Rogers posted:

I grew up when most women stayed home to take care of their kids but that's no longer economically nor socially feasible for most families. As it was, the pandemic led a lot of women with children to drop out of the workforce; do you think that was a net positive?
The idea that gender should dictate which parent does it is obviously dead wrong, but I think having a parent at home is legitimately very good for kids.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 21, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Suburban dipshit chud parents screaming and farting about "OPEN THE SCHOOLS" so they could stay home and work in peace definitely considered schools a "free babysitting" service, duh.

Could you elaborate, please?

Do you think it was only "dipshit chud parents" who needed childcare during the pandemic? What should lower-income parents of color have done for childcare when they needed to work?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

Could you elaborate, please?

Do you think it was only "dipshit chud parents" who needed childcare during the pandemic? What should lower-income parents of color have done for childcare when they needed to work?

Could you elaborate please on why you think I am referring to "lower-income parents of color" when referring to the plethora of incidents involving screaming and farting suburban dipshit chud parents?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dominos making slightly better pizza also led to a review of major retirement tax law in the U.S.

Mitt Romney was able to get an IRA with a balance of around $500 million (despite annual contribution limits of $5,000) because of Dominos pizza.

Bain Capital and other VC groups basically do two things:

1) Buy a failing company for pennies on the dollar because nobody wants it, turn it around, then sell it to someone else once you have a successful business.

or

2) Buy a failing company and put a metaphorical bullet in its head by selling off all of its assets while they are still worth something (because they will soon be worth $0 if the business totally fails).

Dominos was strategy #1 and was basically worthless in 1998 when they bought it. Romney put a bunch of this worthless stock into his IRA (which had a contribution limit of a few thousand dollars per year, but the stock was worth so little that he could put a huge amount of shares into it) for several years and then turned around and sold the company. The stock was previously trading for a few cents per share in 1998 eventually ended up trading for around $15 per share. Since the stock was worthless he was able to put a huge amount of shares into his IRA and they exploded in value.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

My experience has never been ordering Dominos for quality. It's because you're half drunk and want wings and cheesy bread so you order with a coupon that gets you enough stuff that it lets you have cold pizza for hangover breakfast.

Though the cheesy bread kinda sucks now. Garlic Parm bites rule though.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Could you elaborate please on why you think I am referring to "lower-income parents of color" when referring to the plethora of incidents involving screaming and farting suburban dipshit chud parents?

I don't think that you're referring to them; I think you're inaccurately framing parents who needed schools to be open as a chud stereotype without any supporting evidence.

Do you have evidence that this was the case? Beyond appending the literary "DUH"?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think you're referring to "parents, in general", but tacking on a bunch of extra adjectives you don't like so you can brand them as representative of the larger group and justify being dismissive of their concerns.

I think it's fair to say that most families where all the adults work needs childcare of some kind for younger children, regardless of whether they live in the suburbs, how flatulent they are, or which president they voted for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean schools providing free childcare is one of the positive social benefits of a school system. We should, in fact, as a society, be providing free childcare to all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Labor Department just successfully prosecuted a Taqueria owner for bringing in a fake priest to hear confessions from his employees. The priest attempted to pressure employees into admitting they stole from the owner or came to work late and instructed them to lie to investigators by saying they only worked 40 hours per week.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1671095547543822336

quote:

Restaurant used fake priest to hear workers’ confessions, feds say

A restaurant chain in California enlisted a fake priest to take confession from workers, with the supposed father urging them to "get the sins out" by telling him if they'd been late for work or had stolen from their employer, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

The restaurant owner, Che Garibaldi, operates two Taqueria Garibaldi restaurants in Sacramento and one in Roseville, according to a statement from the Labor Department. Attorneys for the restaurant company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The alleged priest also asked workers if they harbored "bad intentions" toward their employer or if they'd done anything to harm the company, said the agency, which called it one of the "most shameless" scams that labor regulator had ever seen. The Diocese of Sacramento also investigated the issue and said it "found no evidence of connection" between the alleged priest and its jurisdiction, according to the Catholic News Agency.

"While we don't know who the person in question was, we are completely confident he was not a priest of the Diocese of Sacramento," Bryan J. Visitacion, director of media and communications for the Diocese of Sacramento, told the news agency.

"Unlike normal confessions"

Hiring an allegedly fake priest to solicit confessions wasn't the restaurant chain's only wrongdoing, according to government officials. A court last month ordered Che Garibaldi's owners to pay $140,000 in back wages and damages to 35 employees.

The restaurant chain's owner allegedly brought in the fake priest after the Labor Department started investigating workplace issues. According to the Labor Department, its investigation found that the company had denied overtime pay to workers, paid managers from money customers had left as employee tips, and threatened workers with retaliation and "adverse immigration consequences" for working with the agency, according to the agency.

The Labor Department said an investigator learned from some workers that the restaurant owner brought in the priest, who said he was a friend of the owner's and asked questions about whether they had harmed the chain or its owner.

In court documents, a server at the restaurant, Maria Parra, testified that she found her conversation with the alleged priest "unlike normal confessions," where she would talk about what she wanted to confess, according to a court document reviewed by CBS MoneyWatch. Instead, the priest told her that he would ask questions "to get the sins out of me."

"He asked if I had ever got pulled over for speeding, if I drank alcohol or if I had stolen anything," she said. "The priest asked if I had stolen anything at work, if I was late to my employment, if I did anything to harm my employer and if I had any bad intentions toward my employment."

The Labor Department also alleged that the employer sought to retaliate against workers and silence them, as well as obstruct an investigation and prevent the employees from receiving unpaid wages.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean schools providing free childcare is one of the positive social benefits of a school system. We should, in fact, as a society, be providing free childcare to all.

Agreed. But "schools are a form of free childcare" is a qualitatively different statement than "schools should be nothing more than free childcare," and for some reason those two sentiments are getting twisted in this thread.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Agreed. But "schools are a form of free childcare" is a qualitatively different statement than "schools should be nothing more than free childcare," and for some reason those two sentiments are getting twisted in this thread.

I don't think "schools should be nothing more than free childcare" is a remotely popular or impactful idea in American politics.

Parents of every political movement and cultural identity, as a rule, want their kids to go to a school where they learn a lot. The difference is what they want their kids to learn and how they want the kids to learn it.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 21, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think that more than 1000 Americans have ever said or believed "schools should be nothing more than free childcare."

My lived experience tells me it's a much, much, much, much higher number than that, including teaching in public schools for several years.

Functional belief, anyway. Not that that is something they have consciously said to themselves or anyone else, but the sum total of their thoughts and actions toward schools amounts to "the place that keeps my kids for free while I work and they better not bother me with any bullshit, I don't care."

But of course I don't have statistical data to back that up so I can't present a more compelling case than "nuh uh."

Parents of every political movement and cultural identity, as a rule, want their kids to go to a school where they learn a lot. The difference is what they want their kids to learn and how they want the kids to learn it.

My ninja edit covers this, but like with a lot of political opinions and beliefs, there's a massive gulf between what these people think and how they behave.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

My lived experience tells me it's a much, much, much, much higher number than that, including teaching in public schools for several years.

But of course I don't have statistical data to back that up so I can't present a more compelling case than "nuh uh."

I believe there are plenty of parents who prioritize the childcare over basically everything else, or who would rather their kids learn nothing at all than learn evolution/critical thinking/history of white supremacy, but did you ever encounter a parent who actually said "the kids shouldn't be learning anything at all, schools should be nothing more than free childcare"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I believe there are plenty of parents who prioritize the childcare over basically everything else, or who would rather their kids learn nothing at all than learn evolution/critical thinking/history of white supremacy, but did you ever encounter a parent who actually said "the kids shouldn't be learning anything at all, schools should be nothing more than free childcare"

No, I encountered many parents who when I called them for any reason, positive or negative, made it clear in explicit terms I was bothering them and wasting their time.

Not ninja: and this isn't about partisan politics or teaching evolution or anything. I'm not dogwhistling for "chud parents" or whatever. (lol guess that was a ninja)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

What does it do to children to lose basically the entirety of their community for nearly a year and a half?

Socialization is a need not a want, particularly to elementary aged kids. When needs are not met that causes massive problems.

My sister is a teacher in Florida. They basically did nothing. That was intensely stupid too.

Prior to omicron masking was extremely effective. I tracked in school spread in our district and posted about in the CSPAM covid thread for almost a year when they went back masked. It worked and was exceptionally effective (until omicron, and they gave up after that).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

There are a ton of “edutainment” games now, especially on tablets and phones.

I actually thought the Hooked on Phonics app did a good job. It was less game and more “hooked on phonics with mini games.” But I’ve also seen a ton of lovely ones.

The "golden age" for educational games was the 1980's/1990's. A good read on what happened to the educational game business:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/where-in-the-world-did-blockbuster-educational-games-go-

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

No, I encountered many parents who when I called them for any reason, positive or negative, made it clear in explicit terms I was bothering them and wasting their time.

So did I, but I wouldn't call that an objection to learning, just apathy to whether learning happens or not.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Functional belief, anyway. Not that that is something they have consciously said to themselves or anyone else, but the sum total of their thoughts and actions toward schools amounts to "the place that keeps my kids for free while I work and they better not bother me with any bullshit, I don't care."

This I absolutely agree with, when I read "schools should be nothing more than free childcare" I was imagining someone who consciously believes that and that's pretty rare. But agreed many parents are totally apathetic to schooling beyond the childcare dimension

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Labor Department just successfully prosecuted a Taqueria owner for bringing in a fake priest to hear confessions from his employees. The priest attempted to pressure employees into admitting they stole from the owner or came to work late and instructed them to lie to investigators by saying they only worked 40 hours per week.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1671095547543822336

This is honestly so ridiculous it's slightly humorous.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I wonder if the Diocese has any grounds to sue the fake priest over infringement of trademark.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I gave up an executive level job at one of the larger game companies to work on curriculum based games in the 1990's. Worked with a good number of educators and researchers.

My conclusion is that US School Philosophy is basically "the beatings will continue until morale improves." My current wife was a teacher in the California system and saw the effects of Prop. 13 and seriously over crowded classrooms. Switched careers because of it.

My favorite video on education comes from Michael Moore's documentary on Europe "Who to invade next."

https://youtu.be/XQ_agxK6fLs

Finland schools. Top rated, little or no homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So did I, but I wouldn't call that an objection to learning, just apathy to whether learning happens or not.

This I absolutely agree with, when I read "schools should be nothing more than free childcare" I was imagining someone who consciously believes that and that's pretty rare. But agreed many parents are totally apathetic to schooling beyond the childcare dimension

Yeah cool, sounds like we're on the same page. I suppose my original wording was a bit flippant.