Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

General Battuta posted:

The Traveler was never gonna be evil. Well at least not back then, in the olden times. gently caress me has it really been 10 years

really? I always thought that the end of the original story took place inside the traveler and revealed that the traveler is a bad dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

General Battuta posted:

The Traveler was never gonna be evil. Well at least not back then, in the olden times. gently caress me has it really been 10 years

Thanks for writing cool poo poo that kept me playing this game for longer than I would have, and then when I stopped you wrote more cool poo poo that made me say "wait this character did WHAT" and got me to reinstall it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What if the Traveler is not what we thought it was

I think Bungie wanted us to wonder if maybe the Traveler was a Bad Dude, and they certainly had a lot of NPCs/lore tabs wonder this as well. But they never actually put anything in the game to SUPPORT such musings, so it always smelled like red herring to me

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

dodgeblan posted:

really? I always thought that the end of the original story took place inside the traveler and revealed that the traveler is a bad dude

yeah, GB has been correcting people on this for like half a decade but the Traveler was never going to be evil in the original conception of the story.

I actually think they’ve done a pretty good job of making it understandably grayish? it has a very human mix of altruism and self-preservation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“the traveler is evil” would have been the laziest loving twist

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

yeah, GB has been correcting people on this for like half a decade but the Traveler was never going to be evil in the original conception of the story.

I actually think they’ve done a pretty good job of making it understandably grayish? it has a very human mix of altruism and self-preservation

well i appreciate the clarification!

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think Bungie wanted us to wonder if maybe the Traveler was a Bad Dude, and they certainly had a lot of NPCs/lore tabs wonder this as well. But they never actually put anything in the game to SUPPORT such musings, so it always smelled like red herring to me

I think one of the coolest twists in the original lore was the suggestion that Rasputin crippled the traveler to stop it from leaving

that they backed down from that is a CRIME

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MJeff posted:

If you play Destiny mainly for PvP, all I can tell you is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tG73JYRlg

They literally said, "we're making this PvP game and without [all of this stuff that doesn't exist in our other game's PvP mode], none of this matters."

They could not be making their opinion on Destiny 2 PvP more clear and frankly, they've been doing it for way, way, way, way longer than this season.

Yeah, this is incredibly frustrating because there isn’t another FPS that plays the same way as destiny. Also, Marathon being an extraction shooter is a non-starter. :smith:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

haveblue posted:

“the traveler is evil” would have been the laziest loving twist

I think the idea that the traveller is evil is not quite what people wanted from a twist that would make the traveller not boring boilerplate good but more the notion that the Traveller is hugely powerful but completely indifferent and maybe even unaware of the knock-on-effects of it's actions. That it wants to grow a garden but it doesn't really understand what happens to the little lives it affects and wouldn't care if it did understand.

There's still a little bit of that in the lore - the books of sorrow have a subtle implication that the Traveller's presence near Fundament caused the gravitational shifts that sparked the Syzygy that ultimately lead to the creation of the hive (although there is a matching implication that it's the worm gods doing it instead, which is something that WQ seems to state was the actual cause). There's the idea that the Traveller is totally cool turning Hive into guardians if that'll secure its own existence to keep growing poo poo. There's a dream sequence in the CE lore book for beyond light which can be read as the Traveller using metaphor to say, hey, massive natural disasters can happen and kill a lot of "insects" but the end result is richer growth afterwards. There's the potential dialogue in Prophecy where Drifter gets a vision of a Light filled world with suffering creatures that live forever in torment.

I mean all this is also, apparently, the argument for the Witness for why the Light is so bad and why they need the final shape in the first place. If they're treading old, boring ground in this story it's mostly that they're clearly going for an ultimate theme that pursuing either philosophy to it's extreme is bad and the truth is in the middle you need to strike a balance between Light and Darkness in order to flourish in the universe (just like the player guardians do! Wowee, what a coincidence).

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The tree in the Garden with silver wings. The air around it is oppressive and inspires violence in those who even breathe a little in. Shards of the disastrous bark peel from it and litter the ground, and nothing grows in its shadow. It scintillates faintly at dusk. It has achieved its entelechy with every body falling, every civilization laid to waste, every leaf forged into instruments of ruin.
The Gardener is hard to bother; she is constantly amidst her weeds, kneeling in the tangent dust, gloves covered in a mix of distant soils and metallic saps. She is listening to the music of the insects amidst the flowers, the unguent as it begins to drip from the ferns, the slight scratch of the Worm beneath, and not to you, and certainly not to your cries for help.

The Traveller isn't evil, the Traveller just has never cared about anything other than growing.

Thought this might have changed recently based on a lore blurb I can't find about the Traveller being tired of running.

Also: Traveller =/= Light just as Witness =/= Darkness

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

dodgeblan posted:

A hoax made up by a random Reddit poster which everyone believed and repeated credulously. Just like each species having its own unique starting area or whatever.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

haveblue posted:

I... don't think so? The video (which full disclosure I have not rewatched after the first time) presented the Clarity statue as something the witness race discovered and came to understand rather than built. The pyramid ships are a product of the witness race but they carry darkness artifacts that predated them. It's really unclear because there are a lot of "we always believed X did this but actually it was Y pretending to be X" retcons flying around by now, alongside parsing apart the forces of darkness into factions and ranks that did not exist for the earliest lore elements

:science: I generally agree with the same interpretation about the broader retcon with a caveat: I had interpreted the robed figures - like Clarity or the GoS statue - as Witness species stand-ins primarily because the cutscene shows lots of robed/hooded Witness species people. Feels like Witness species seeding darkness vibes is intentional - for instance to the hive and the worm gods - to willing participants, which we heroes also have obviously taken the bait about also.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

yeah, that was my thinking—I haven’t had a chance to play, for example, and only watched the cutscene so some clickbait YouTubesman couldn’t beat me to the punch with a spoiler lol

and theysayheygreg, I’m inclined to agree with you on this, but it is what it is, so now they gotta untangle the web in a way that satisfies both people who have been paying attention and people who have not. not sure if they stick the landing here! but that’s I guess what happens when a story is being actively written rather than elucidated post ho

Agree on this as well. It's inevitable for such a long running game to have to run into historical writing and make accommodations for new stories to be woven in the overall setting. I certainly don't think everything needs to/should be connected with a card some other writer made 9 years ago. They're doing a remarkable job compared to a lot of other games! That said the tone does seem to be shifting and that's a bummer as a person invested in the setting more than the gameplay. :corsair:

I think my primary critique at this point is that Destiny has always been mysterious but it hasn't been particularly ambiguous and this currently running thread seems like the latter.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Meiteron posted:

I think the idea that the traveller is evil is not quite what people wanted from a twist that would make the traveller not boring boilerplate good but more the notion that the Traveller is hugely powerful but completely indifferent and maybe even unaware of the knock-on-effects of it's actions. That it wants to grow a garden but it doesn't really understand what happens to the little lives it affects and wouldn't care if it did understand.

There's still a little bit of that in the lore - the books of sorrow have a subtle implication that the Traveller's presence near Fundament caused the gravitational shifts that sparked the Syzygy that ultimately lead to the creation of the hive (although there is a matching implication that it's the worm gods doing it instead, which is something that WQ seems to state was the actual cause). There's the idea that the Traveller is totally cool turning Hive into guardians if that'll secure its own existence to keep growing poo poo. There's a dream sequence in the CE lore book for beyond light which can be read as the Traveller using metaphor to say, hey, massive natural disasters can happen and kill a lot of "insects" but the end result is richer growth afterwards. There's the potential dialogue in Prophecy where Drifter gets a vision of a Light filled world with suffering creatures that live forever in torment.

I mean all this is also, apparently, the argument for the Witness for why the Light is so bad and why they need the final shape in the first place. If they're treading old, boring ground in this story it's mostly that they're clearly going for an ultimate theme that pursuing either philosophy to it's extreme is bad and the truth is in the middle you need to strike a balance between Light and Darkness in order to flourish in the universe (just like the player guardians do! Wowee, what a coincidence).

totally agree! the line in the new cutscene around the traveler being a source of great power but also great destruction would have been way more effective if we'd actually seen the traveler be a source of great destruction. All it's done is been non-committal

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

life_source posted:

Also: Traveller =/= Light just as Witness =/= Darkness

Is this distinction actually relevant in any way to the game lore? I can't think of a way

Also, the Traveler has been an inanimate object for the game's entire life, and the Witness only just became a character on Tuesday. Introducing your major characters in the final act of a story is always a bad decision, so I don't see them giving us a satisfying conclusion if Traveler & Witness are the major players

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am glad at least that the Witness's visual design makes perfect sense now

Meiteron posted:

There's still a little bit of that in the lore - the books of sorrow have a subtle implication that the Traveller's presence near Fundament caused the gravitational shifts that sparked the Syzygy that ultimately lead to the creation of the hive (although there is a matching implication that it's the worm gods doing it instead, which is something that WQ seems to state was the actual cause).

There's also the implication that it wasn't actually going to happen at all and the entire ascent of the Hive was built on lies from day 1 (or so I recall from the dialog in the WQ final mission). Certainly characterizing it as "the traveler did this to destroy us!" the way the worms did doesn't match with how it behaves at other times

Also note that Oryx wrote that he considered checking up on what became of Fundament but decided against it, so its presence in the lore ends before the god-wave actually hit and that's a loose end :tinfoil:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this distinction actually relevant in any way to the game lore? I can't think of a way

There's a nonzero chance that the Witness or Traveler or both are not going to survive the events of TFS, and this would let the Light and Darkness remain in the aftermath so they can still be the core of the premise and gameplay

More thematically, it reflects the idea that it's not what the power is, it's how you use it and for what purpose

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the witness = piccolo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just don't give a poo poo about Megamind at all, sorry Bungie

Should've stuck with the idea that the Vex always win each iteration of Everything and the light/dark stuff is an "attempt" to screw with that/not screw with that or whatever with the end being to tell the Traveler and the Darkness itself or whatever to gently caress off and win anyway by shooting Atheon 2.0 out of the universe with the Tractor Cannon

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The Traveller is just the gods' giant space roomba that got stuck in a corner (Earth) and is being batted around by the cat (The Witness).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also, lmao

quote:

We used to get writing like this: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-mysteries. So...is Rasputin now talking about the Witness Spaceship Fleet? The Witness themselves? Is Rasputin afraid of the Veil somehow even though we've never seen the Veil say, do, or affect anything?

quote:

I am made to win and now I see the way.

Bad news about that one Rasputin you literally never win

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ponzicar posted:

The Traveller is just the gods' giant space roomba that got stuck in a corner (Earth) and is being batted around by the cat (The Witness).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

cant wait to use Cayde’s dick to blast the Witness back into one guy who can be solo one phased in the raid

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No one was really wondering if the Traveler was bad they were wondering why it wasn’t doing anything.

What if the Traveler is not a benevolent God that cares about my individual life and is going to swoop down and save the day? That is what those characters are asking after centuries of thinking the Traveler was their personal savior.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ponzicar posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Bad news about that one Rasputin you literally never win

Blowing up the Almighty was pretty sweet, even if it did take 100x as long as we all expected

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

sunday at work posted:

What if the Traveler is not a benevolent God that cares about my individual life and is going to swoop down and save the day? That is what those characters are asking after centuries of thinking the Traveler was their personal savior.

Was anyone supposed to think this? I remember day 1 of destiny learning that the Traveler had abandoned the Fallen and that it was born 2 run

The reason why 'rasputin shot the traveler' stuck with people was that it had a reputation for abandoning those in need

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the initial mystery even before D1 came out was, why did the Traveler stand and fight at Earth when it had opted not to do that at least once before that we knew of and probably a lot more than that. Someone forcing it to seemed very plausible before more backstory was revealed

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Travler just wants to make a garden and be left alone, I can relate to that :colbert:.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Travler just wants to make a garden and be left alone, I can relate to that :colbert:.

a tale as old as time

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if they give us a destiny expansion that pivots into now, vex!!!!!1!

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

^burtle posted:

cant wait to use Cayde’s dick to blast the Witness back into one guy who can be solo one phased in the raid

Hate to break it to you but they won’t put an important story beat like that in a raid. We’ll kill the witness in a cheeseable solo mission and the raid will be to fight some fallen who are trying to do… some stuff.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The raid will be us being like omg no he had a Deadman switch! Quick go to this place and do the things so the thing doesn't happen!

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Waroduce posted:

The raid will be us being like omg no he had a Deadman switch! Quick go to this place and do the things so the thing doesn't happen!

both campaign and raid boss will be witness, i'd bet my hat on it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

dodgeblan posted:

both campaign and raid boss will be witness, i'd bet my hat on it

Like some kind of backup as part of a Witness Protection Plan

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

i think the raid boss is going to be xivu arath.

campaign is going to be the witness.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Like some kind of backup as part of a Witness Protection Plan

Lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no, I'm not the witness, I'm... the shmitness, and I'm the new hunter vanguard

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You say red herring, I say chekhov's guns. The story of destiny lore is basically setting up a million things for the first 5 years and then gradually explaining why none of them were going to pay off in the last 5 years.

The darkness entities that drifter tangled with
What is going on with the physical body of calus
Why was osiris such a bad dude that the tower had to exile him
Did rasputin shoot first
The last wish
What happened to the planets that got taken

the answer to all these things basically ended up being 'it doesn't matter actually'

PS i know there are lore answers to those questions, but from a narrative perspective they don't really matter

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the last wish is literally the raid named "the last wish"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

muike posted:

the last wish is literally the raid named "the last wish"

thankyou sir that clears everything up