Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Randalor posted:

You're the type of person who reads a plot summary of a mystery movie before seeing it and wondering why everyone is surprised at the reveal of who actually committed the crime, aren't you?

Not that it matters, but I didn't use a walkthrough until the very end to verify that there wasn't any more to it. There wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah but it seems like you have a fundamental problem approaching it on it's own terms instead of comparing it to Unity games

I haven't played many haunted house unity games like you have though

But even if that's the case the medium is the message bruh. One of the beautiful things about something like stop-motion animation is that it's completely unnecessary and could be done in 3D much more easily, but the fact that it's stop-motion can't be hand-waved away unless you're a child who doesn't understand the differences between Pauly Shore Pinocchio and Guillermo del Toro Pinocchio. There's literally nothing but technical prowess on display for both mediums, this doom wad and stop-motion, and if you disregard that then you're kind of missing the point.

The whole reason videogame urban legends are so fascinating is because up until now we've had spooky stories and movies. Now (in the past like 15-20 years) it's being realized in a new medium, and videogames themselves are stratified, and developers are reaching into different engines entirely because they hold different reigns in our minds.

Polybius, Petscop, Pokemon, they're all different brushes to paint with and Doom has been neglected it seems up until this point, and someone drops a fairly well designed and scoped out creepypasta game and it's resonating, but not simply because it's doom but because it's just all around tastefully done

Being an incredibly novel doom map on a technical level doesn't phase you, that's fine, but your dismissal seems so antagonistic I wonder what the copious amount of unity spooky house games you alluded to are and if they're nearly as polished as myhouse.wad

If they're "unity devs first game" tests, current day myhouse.wads, then the amount of effort that went into it doesn't compare to myhouse.wad and the comparison you make is missing a lot

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

rivid posted:

How come the Power Pak guy shits his pants over the house having two floors in Doom 2 but John Romero does not?

Also holy poo poo I can't believe this thread is still alive over ten years later. :love:

Still the best. 2010

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
John Romero: Wow, this is a really cool and interesting mod of a game I made thirty years ago.

Dude on the Internet:                       MEH
                                       :goonsay:

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

forest spirit posted:

Polybius, Petscop, Pokemon, they're all different brushes to paint with and Doom has been neglected it seems up until this point

quote:

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them, now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY DEMONS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson," the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US," said the demons!
"I will shoot at him," said the Cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons," he shouted!
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons."
And then, John was a Zombie.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

forest spirit posted:

Yeah but it seems like you have a fundamental problem approaching it on it's own terms instead of comparing it to Unity games

I haven't played many haunted house unity games like you have though

But even if that's the case the medium is the message bruh. One of the beautiful things about something like stop-motion animation is that it's completely unnecessary and could be done in 3D much more easily, but the fact that it's stop-motion can't be hand-waved away unless you're a child who doesn't understand the differences between Pauly Shore Pinocchio and Guillermo del Toro Pinocchio. There's literally nothing but technical prowess on display for both mediums, this doom wad and stop-motion, and if you disregard that then you're kind of missing the point.

The whole reason videogame urban legends are so fascinating is because up until now we've had spooky stories and movies. Now (in the past like 15-20 years) it's being realized in a new medium, and videogames themselves are stratified, and developers are reaching into different engines entirely because they hold different reigns in our minds.

Polybius, Petscop, Pokemon, they're all different brushes to paint with and Doom has been neglected it seems up until this point, and someone drops a fairly well designed and scoped out creepypasta game and it's resonating, but not simply because it's doom but because it's just all around tastefully done

Being an incredibly novel doom map on a technical level doesn't phase you, that's fine, but your dismissal seems so antagonistic I wonder what the copious amount of unity spooky house games you alluded to are and if they're nearly as polished as myhouse.wad

If they're "unity devs first game" tests, current day myhouse.wads, then the amount of effort that went into it doesn't compare to myhouse.wad and the comparison you make is missing a lot

I mean I get it. I think my problem was coming to it after it was already hyped up as a terrifying piece of art, so I was looking for the secrets and spooks from the jump. If I were a 30-year doom wad enthusiast who had started the map not knowing anything and found the first couple of tricks organically, I can see how it would have hit a little harder. I mean if we're honest, a person who isn't a doom fan and who looks specifically for secrets the entire time isn't going to find much there.

I guess I am not the target audience and that's okay.

rivid posted:

John Romero: Wow, this is a really cool and interesting mod of a game I made thirty years ago.

Dude on the Internet:                       MEH
                                       :goonsay:

Yeah, a cool mod. Not the ridiculous pants-making GBS threads hyperbole in this thread and around the internet

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 21, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cleretic posted:

I don't know what other community could possibly produce a MyHouse.wad that catches on to that level. I immediately think of Pokemon, but not only is Pokemon something already more capable of telling a story (so 'oh poo poo there's an actual complex puzzle and narrative here' wouldn't be such a big surprise), but also Pokemon's been sort of a tentpole of the creepypasta 'genre' anyway, so we're already well aware of the notion that someone could tell something like that.

I honestly wonder if Pokemon actually could. It definitely has the cultural cache and the universality, but the problem is that there's already an entire extremely established subgenre of dark and/or spooky and/or edgy and/or horror-themed Pokemon things and fangames. The hardest part of this kind of thing is the bait and switch, if people know or really have a reason to expect they're walking into an ARGy spooky story it's much harder to have an impact as many are going to be pre-jaded. It's not that it's full on impossible to catch people off guard, but given "Dark and Spooky Pokemon stuff" is such a universally considered idea that official first-party Pokemon releases have actually incorporated spooky things and scenarios... Basically it's that much harder thread the needle, you'd need a genuinely novel take both in terms of story and in terms of the medium you're intending on using. Again, not impossible, but given that the idea already has an endless legion of stale imitators it would take a real bolt from the blue.

I think Myhouse being in the form of a Doom map is an advantage in that regard because people don't really expect it to be what it is. You hear about a spooky Doom WAD, and you probably don't expect this kind of experience. Doom is a bloody violent game about shooting invading hell demons and zombies with blood and guts and explosions meaning that it's already firmly built off of one particular set of horror trappings. Heck, the game opens with and includes a lot of shooting demons in standard Doom-style gameplay before it gets weird. The neat trick of Myhouse was to take Doom and spin it around into a totally different kind of horror. There's nothing really new in Myhouse, but it's a very talented telling of this particular kind of story using a particular medium exceptionally well that was able to surprise people and catch them off guard. That may be some part of why it became (for a given value of the word) a hit.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 21, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not really scary at all, it's much more melancholic except for a couple spots

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rivid posted:

How come the Power Pak guy shits his pants over the house having two floors in Doom 2 but John Romero does not?

Also holy poo poo I can't believe this thread is still alive over ten years later. :love:

Remember how the meta text is that the one friend found myhouse.wad in his friend’s stuff after he died and decided to finish it as a tribute to the friend, which is when it becomes myhouse.pk3?

It also says the myhouse.wad version is from the early 2000s, which is after the Doom engine was open-sourced and the Boom source port introduced the silent teleporter that’s used for the door to the basement. So using a silent teleporter to pretend an area is below or above another one like that has been a thing in Doom mapping for over 20 years. Romero’s definitely aware of this.

(The power pak guy is also completely wrong by the way, GZDoom can do true room over room in a couple of ways, but myhouse.pk3 doesn’t do any of them. Still if you’re playing a GZDoom wad and you experience some room over room stuff, it’s nothing unusual.)

That door to the basement is very special in the text of the WAD as a storytelling technique, actually. It’s the only one that’s in myhouse.wad, and it’s the only one that uses a Boom silent teleporter (which is also why it’s a bit janky compared to other ones). The other silent teleporter doors use the later GZDoom portal connection setups, which mean they’re directly the “infection” of the .wad into the .pk3.

In other words, it’s completely normal and sane to have room over room in the normal house, and the creator of the WAD intended it to be that way. It’s when it starts metastasizing that you should be getting scared.

e: historically and for accuracy’s sake there was a way to fudge room over room in the vanilla Doom executable, it’s called a 3d bridge, but it’s not used anywhere in myhouse and there’s not really anywhere in the WAD it would make sense to use one anyway (they’re very limited and pretty buggy).

e2: looking at some editing stuff I’m technically wrong! Myhouse.pk3 does use a 3d floor, for the swimming pool water (and possibly the other end in the sky garage although I can’t be bothered to check). So there, there’s technically a true room over room effect in myhouse.pk3, but nothing you’d normally think of except when looking at it in an editor.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 21, 2023

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Very cool, thank you for the explanation.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not that it matters, but I didn't use a walkthrough until the very end to verify that there wasn't any more to it. There wasn't.

Not just that, but also all the other stuff.

Whether you are trolling or not, you are coming across as one of those "not very fun at parties" people. Feel free to explain to us with anecdotal evidence how you are, in fact, fun at parties though.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Ooooooh my god shut up. The wad speaks most sincerely and earnestly to those with a deep knowledge of doom, its community, and modding. Lacking that, one may find it interesting, but it won’t hit the same way. It’s almost like our personal experiences define our ways of thinking and seeing.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Twenty Four posted:

Not just that, but also all the other stuff.

Whether you are trolling or not, you are coming across as one of those "not very fun at parties" people. Feel free to explain to us with anecdotal evidence how you are, in fact, fun at parties though.

Usually I just regale guests with my knowledge of what is possible in the doom engine thus proving I am fun and cool

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Manager Hoyden posted:

Usually I just regale guests with my knowledge of what is possible in the doom engine thus proving I am fun and cool

Have you ever considered that sometimes there can come a point where it's wise to just cut your losses and walk away? Just curious.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That probably does gangbusters at the right parties tbf

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Omnicrom posted:

Have you ever considered that sometimes there can come a point where it's wise to just cut your losses and walk away? Just curious.
I've enjoyed this discussion. I dont think there have to be winners and losers.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 21, 2023

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Omnicrom posted:

Hell no

I'm not gonna rest until the whole world admits myhouse.wad sucks. It sucks!!!

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Bruh, it's a video game hoaxes and urban legends thread. People are going to have an interest in talking about a creepy Doom map here.

Have you considered posting in the professional wrestling threads and letting the users know that it's fake while you're at it? I'm sure they would all benefit from your very impressive ideas and insights.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
*EXTREMELY LOUD, IRRITABLE SIGH*

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hell no

myhouse.wad is pretty mid you're right, but myhouse.pk3 is pretty drat cool

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

:emptyquote:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

rivid posted:

So, here's the thing a out Doom: it doesn't naturally do real 3D.

If you open up the map in Doom, you're not seeing an abstraction. That's the actual level: a two dimensional plane divided into areas called sectors. Each sector has its own assigned values like floor- and ceiling height, textures and a whole bunch of potential triggers. The 3d environment reads this and does some clever math to translate these values into something that looks 3D - but you can't do things like rooms actually being above other rooms. Even something simple like a table is impossible, because it would require the table to be a surface between the floor and the ceiling. Doom can't do that.

Of course, it was only a matter of time until designers started to come up with clever hacks to get around this. You can't actually put two surfaces on top of each other, but what you can do is use portals and viewlines to make a separate area appear to be beneath or above another area. Fun fact: this is how basically every game before Quake worked, although there are weird exceptions and hacks that games like System Shock used. But that's a whole other story.

Making room-over-room in Doom is a lot easier these days thanks to better editing software, but a surprise application of it like in my house.wad can still surprise old school veterans.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hell no

To derail this conversation I'm gonna propose a new haunted N64 cartridge creepypasta but I think I'll need to kill a few people first to make the story feel plausible.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To derail this conversation I'm gonna propose a new haunted N64 cartridge creepypasta but I think I'll need to kill a few people first to make the story feel plausible.

The ghost of Ted kaczynski is haunting my cell phone and killing anything electronic it touches!

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

For some actual content, I went through and looked at some of my old posts in this thread:

rivid posted:

Wrestlemania the Arcade game didn't have any secrets, but apparently there WAS another character coded into the game, however the person who admitted it wont admit how to get him. What an rear end in a top hat.

Similarly I remember reading this article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3668922
Apparently there really are NBA Jam machines with Michael Jordan as a playable character. Also the game was made so that in close games between the Bulls and Pistons, the Bulls shooting average would plummet.

The first article I linked to I had misread, it was about a dev hyping up some other Xbox wrestling game. Taking a look at Wrestlemania The Arcade Game on The Cutting Room Floor shows assets for the Wrestler Adam Bomb who was cut. But there's not enough there for him to be actually playable. So like most rumors, this one was a half-truth. Fatalities were basically cut from the game too with there being some left ove graphics on that webpage. Would be interesting to see what assets were left on the PS1 disk.

The Michael Jordan version of NBA JAM was confirmed. Mark Turmell said in 2018 that he had some of the boards in his basement with the roms of the special versions they made for players who had licensing deals that would not allow them in the game. A talk he gave about NBA Jam is here and I found it interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3Os2kk6V4

Finally, I have this fan theory I've wanted to write about more in depth for a while which is that you can draw a straight line from Stephen King through Earthbound to Pokemon. Japanese people love coming of age stories (Tomato had/has a Legends of Localization article on this) and there are direct references to Stand By Me in Mother and right at the beginning of Pokemon.

I think a lot of the PSI stuff in the mother series came from books like The Shining. It was brought up on page 88 of this thread but the final boss of Mother, Giegue was a boiler-plate for Mewtwo. Like Mewtwo, Giegue was psychic. The background is that Giegue was alien raised from infancy by the main character's grandparents. The grandfather stole the secrets of PSI, the two parents were returned to Earth, and Giegue returns to destroy earth as the big bad guy at the end of the game. The only big difference made was that Mewtwo was made in a lab from Mew's DNA. But I'm willing to bet somewhere there was early concept art of Giegue as a baby that probably looks a lot like what eventually became Mew. The plot to Mother 2 is basically the same as the first game but one of the changes made is that the big bad guy goes by the same name (the change to Giygas in the English version is likely due to different localizers) but this time is instead just the generalized embodiment of evil that you have to go back in time to destroy. Mother 2 / Earthbound came out a year or two before the first Pokemon games so it would have been know that the Giegue idea and design could be repurposed for something else.

Every once in a while I google to see if the series creator mentions Stephen King at all. Coming back to the thread today meant that I thought to do that. Sure enough:
https://twitter.com/MotherForever_/status/1629542152442085376
"In a new interview, Itoi says that Peter Straub and Stephen King's "The Talisman" was a big influence on the first MOTHER.
The Flying Men were even inspired by the character Wolf from the book!"

But it looks like the article itself is currently throwing a 403 when I try to access it.

I also am now thinking that Ness' neighbor at the beginning of the game who is compelled to tunnel under his house for the Mani statue is a lot like The Tommyknockers.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

on a similar note, you guys might have discussed this and I missed it—did anyone see the other day where after decades of rumors and speculation Mark Frost offhand mentioned he met with the Link’s Awakening staff and gave them some ideas?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I fuckin' knew it all along, after I finished Earthbound and Mother I ate up the Talisman like bitter candy

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

on a similar note, you guys might have discussed this and I missed it—did anyone see the other day where after decades of rumors and speculation Mark Frost offhand mentioned he met with the Link’s Awakening staff and gave them some ideas?

Holy poo poo, the guy who co-wrote Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer?

it all makes so much sense now

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah I guess they saw his uncredited rewrite on No Man’s Land (1987, dir. Dick Wolf) and were like Holy poo poo. We need to talk to this fucker.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
MyHouse.wad looks like a girl

now SM64 Internal Plexus / B3313, there's a haircut you can set your watch to

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

I honestly wonder if Pokemon actually could. It definitely has the cultural cache and the universality, but the problem is that there's already an entire extremely established subgenre of dark and/or spooky and/or edgy and/or horror-themed Pokemon things and fangames. The hardest part of this kind of thing is the bait and switch, if people know or really have a reason to expect they're walking into an ARGy spooky story it's much harder to have an impact as many are going to be pre-jaded. It's not that it's full on impossible to catch people off guard, but given "Dark and Spooky Pokemon stuff" is such a universally considered idea that official first-party Pokemon releases have actually incorporated spooky things and scenarios... Basically it's that much harder thread the needle, you'd need a genuinely novel take both in terms of story and in terms of the medium you're intending on using. Again, not impossible, but given that the idea already has an endless legion of stale imitators it would take a real bolt from the blue

I feel like the way to go about it with Pokemon would be less SCARY SPOOKY DARK and more subtle and unsettling. Things like the type chart changing, or moves having unexpected effects, resetting EVs or minimising IVs, it's all stuff that can play with the medium, between "was this always this way" and "is this a balance change?"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
missingno was pretty spooky even long after the game came out, that'd also be a good starting point to think about

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbMfRGQ534

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, if you were trying to find a 'voice' for an effective bit of Pokemon 'screw with the game fiction', I think the right angle isn't to go haunted, since that's been done, but rather to go glitchy. Not only because Pokemon is known to be glitchy so there's already some shared vocabulary and imagery, but also because as an RPG with a lot of both visible and invisible stats and numbers, there's a lot of dials to turn.

...actually, I feel like that'd make it work best as sort of an 'alien corruption' horror, like the Southern Reach books. Everything starts normal, but over time things start changing and becoming more and more unnatural. Not only fits what Pokemon would be capable of doing mechanically, but also narratively; a failing point of a lot of Pokemon creepypasta or horror fangames I've seen are them veering too hard into themes that just feel completely out of place in the world Pokemon's set up, but I could see Pokemon working well in that sort of vibe, the kind of horror that Doctor Who plays in every so often.

And damnit, now I've started thinking this'd be fun to actually do.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Pokemon drags at times so unless it was a truncated experience a lot could be mined from the repetition. Everyone has a fast forward button as well so that could factor in

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

deranged gamer entitlement is no urban legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It's sad cause he's just dead to the art, it doesn't resonate artistically with him at all, so that frustrates him and he's taking it out on the thread.