Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

God LeBrun saying the Devils are one of the teams Hellebuyck would extend with and that he wants 9.5 gently caress every bit of that

Ah now I see that report.

So Hellebuyck WANTS $9.5m. LeBrun's report says New Jersey and the other teams in the mix do not want to give him that much.

Fitz has been very smart with his assets and he's been getting his core players to take a hometown discount in order to maximize the window to win. I think he will be itching to sign Hellebuyck for $8-8.5m per, especially if he has the leverage of knowing Hellebuyck wants to play behind a team that's gonna be sicknasty for the next 5+ years. He wants a Cup.

I would RATHER the Devils keep their cap flexible and grow Schmid into the starter role. I won't be thrilled if they trade for Hellebuyck and sign him to a big deal. BUT I think if it does happen, it's going to be very hard not to be making GBS threads in my pants at the potential to win championships for like the next 3-4 years in a row.

What I would actually suspect is that Fitz might say, okay, we'll give you $9m but it needs to be a 4 year deal. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Schmid is fine and the Devils should be content with him as their 1-A for cheap and spend their cap space elsewhere. Goalies in the NHL are about the floor not the ceiling. Not as much marginal value in going from Schmidt to Hellebuyck as there is in spending that cap space for the next 5 years on a forward and a defenseman.

e:

fawning deference posted:

What I would actually suspect is that Fitz might say, okay, we'll give you $9m but it needs to be a 4 year deal. Something like that.

That's the opposite of what the Devils should want if they insist on chasing Hellebuyck, their window is right now. If anything they should prefer max term but lower AAV. But it doesn't matter because Hellebuyck is the hottest commodity on the market this summer and he will require both max term and huge AAV, plus a stack of picks/prospects. It's not worth it.

And as always the real killer is going to be the NMC he will require, if it all goes bad they're stuck.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 21, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Schmid is fine and the Devils should be content with him as their 1-A for cheap and spend their cap space elsewhere. Goalies in the NHL are about the floor not the ceiling. Not as much marginal value in going from Schmidt to Hellebuyck as there is in spending that cap space for the next 5 years on a forward and a defenseman.

e:

That's the opposite of what the Devils should want if they insist on chasing Hellebuyck, their window is right now. If anything they should prefer max term but lower AAV. But it doesn't matter because Hellebuyck is the hottest commodity on the market this summer and he will require both max term and huge AAV, plus a stack of picks/prospects. It's not worth it.

And as always the real killer is going to be the NMC he will require, if it all goes bad they're stuck.

Completely agree about keeping Schmid and the value of goalies being a floor and not a ceiling. It would be cool to have Hellebuyck for a bit but not if it hamstrings the rest of the team, which it would do after a couple of seasons. And they'd need to give up young assets. So again, I would rather it not happen, but I can't pretend I wouldn't be beaming going into next season if they had Hellebuyck in goal with the current core.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only kind of team that should be going for broke for Hellebuyck is a contender that's definitively near the end of its window and glaringly lacking a goalie. Which is really only two teams: Toronto and Carolina. Neither of which have the cap space.

There's also Pittsburgh, if they continue to deludedly think their window is still open at all. But they don't have jackshit in assets to trade for him so that's a no-go. And there's Edmonton, though their window will still be open a while, and they too don't have the cap space.

My guess is if New Jersey really wants him then that is where he will go. They're a contender, they have cap space right now (though giving him $8.5M+/year will horribly crunch their cap in the near future) and if they insist on believing they need a star goalie, badabing badaboom. Toronto can't fit him unless they're willing to let Matthews walk, and also can't outbid Jersey in a trade.

If he doesn't go to Jersey then my guess is the Jets will just keep him, at least until the deadline. You'll probably read about the Penguins trying to persuade Cheveldayoff to accept a bag of pucks and an autographed picture of Jurgen Klopp for him soon.

e: Carolina has like $20M of cap space right now but that's deceptive because almost literally their entire team is a free agent this summer or next. Their window is about to very abruptly close. If the Devils and Rangers aren't smoking the rest of the Metro in 2024-25 they messed up real bad.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 21, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno if I was the Devils I'd probably go for Hellebuyck even at that much. Between him and Meier that's like all their cap space but who cares? All their key guys are locked up until like 2030 and the cap is projected to go up another $10M just by 2025. Maybe Hellebuyck only has 5ish good years still in him, but it's hard to imagine a better group he could join that also has the cap space to sign him. If they can get him to sign for 5-6 years they should do it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I mean, it almost worked out with :cop:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
carolina's problem is not goaltending, they need to use whatever money they have to find goals

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Speaking of the Devils, Travis Green is Andrew Brunette's replacement.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

carolina's problem is not goaltending, they need to use whatever money they have to find goals

Tarasenko's gotta get paid by someone I guess

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno if I was the Devils I'd probably go for Hellebuyck even at that much. Between him and Meier that's like all their cap space but who cares? All their key guys are locked up until like 2030 and the cap is projected to go up another $10M just by 2025. Maybe Hellebuyck only has 5ish good years still in him, but it's hard to imagine a better group he could join that also has the cap space to sign him. If they can get him to sign for 5-6 years they should do it.

It's also quite possible he has no good years left in him. Extremely rare is the 30+ goalie who can go at a high level for another five years, not saying he'll be trash but it's doubtful he'll be worth anything close to what he wants. I'd much rather bet on Saros if they're going to bet on someone and lose assets (although certainly he would cost more).

I'd rather the Devils use that money to improve their bottom six and bet on Schmid.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

It's also quite possible he has no good years left in him. Extremely rare is the 30+ goalie who can go at a high level for another five years, not saying he'll be trash but it's doubtful he'll be worth anything close to what he wants. I'd much rather bet on Saros if they're going to bet on someone and lose assets (although certainly he would cost more).

I'd rather the Devils use that money to improve their bottom six and bet on Schmid.

I appreciate this line of thinking but Hellebuyck seems like a pretty sure bet to have a couple of good years left in him. He's as durable as they come. Dude never gets injured and just came off seasons of 66 and 64 games played. In a game that's gotten younger and faster over his career he's still a top 3-5 goalie right now. He'just turned 30 last month, so really, he's entering his age 30 season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Speaking of the Devils, Travis Green is Andrew Brunette's replacement.

He is a solidly meh coach but given he's replacing Brunette on pk duty probably I'd be worried. The Canucks PK went to "historically terrible" under Green and has never recovered.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

He is a solidly meh coach but given he's replacing Brunette on pk duty probably I'd be worried. The Canucks PK went to "historically terrible" under Green and has never recovered.

Sounds unsurprising but turns out not to be true, at all.

In Green's four full seasons the Canucks PK ranked 21st, 11th, 16th, and 17th. They collapsed to 30th in 2021-22, when Green was fired after 25 games--but the PK was worse under Boudreau than Green. The Canucks PK went to "worst in the league" under Boudreau, not Green, and the only individual year in which it can be described as historically terrible was this past year, under Boudreau/Tocchet--the 2022-23 Canucks posted the worst single season PK% of the entire cap era. (But maybe a bit misleading since AFAICT the entire cap era bottom five are the bottom five of 2022-23, it was the best year for PP% since the crazy early 90s)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1671254067497271298

he's not as good as he was a few years ago but he's still very serviceable in his role. salary is maybe a little high but it doesn't matter, buffalo is gonna be 12 million under the cap this year anyway. it'll be well worth it if we get to see zemgod in the playoffs this year

I’m a big Zemgus fan (I have an old Girgensens shirsey) and I am glad they brought him back. He’s the longest-tenured Sabre and brings a lot to the room. They can’t afford to lose any big, defensive forwards.

Edit: he went to the All-Star Games that one year!!!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Braden Holtby living the good life in DC.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/06/20/braden-holtby-honored-at-washington-nationals-game/#more-455001

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1671321864809873408?s=20

Looks like he’s gonna raise his family in the DC area, just a solid good dude. Does a lot for the LGBTQ family as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Braden Holtby living the good life in DC.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/06/20/braden-holtby-honored-at-washington-nationals-game/#more-455001

https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1671321864809873408?s=20

Looks like he’s gonna raise his family in the DC area, just a solid good dude. Does a lot for the LGBTQ family as well.

Holtby loving rules good for him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's an IT guy at my employer that looks exactly like Braden Holtby. It kind of freaks me out every time I see him.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was about to say. Green was pretty decent the first couple of years and then clearly ran out of ideas with a crappy roster.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I think Green was a pretty good coach at making a team with a heap of flaws able to win games. A big part of his only playoff run was Demko being awesome, but some credit also goes to the coach there as well, with a bend not break approach.

Vancouver clearly has problems from top to bottom, from the ‘room’ to management to the local media climate - I wouldn’t hold it against green to much for it all falling apart, odds are he will have lasted longer than Tocchet will..

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

In Green's four full seasons the Canucks PK ranked 21st, 11th, 16th, and 17th. They collapsed to 30th in 2021-22, when Green was fired after 25 games--but the PK was worse under Boudreau than Green. The Canucks PK went to "worst in the league" under Boudreau, not Green, and the only individual year in which it can be described as historically terrible was this past year, under Boudreau/Tocchet--the 2022-23 Canucks posted the worst single season PK% of the entire cap era. (But maybe a bit misleading since AFAICT the entire cap era bottom five are the bottom five of 2022-23, it was the best year for PP% since the crazy early 90s)

The Canucks penalty kill his final season was 64.6% the day he was fired. It was 60.3% a couple weeks before having gone 2 for 5 against the Avs. It actually improved somewhat when Boudreau was brought in (the first year only). Green was wildly throwing out pk ideas that didn't work. It was one of the main reasons he and Benning were fired. They couldn't stop the puck going in the net when shorthanded. He is not a PK coach and I wouldn't begin to trust him doing anything like that. He waited until like a month before he was fired to try Hughes and Pettersson shorthanded and it turned out they're the team's two best penalty killers. The team's confidence in it's penalty kill collapsed under Green and I'd argue they've never recovered.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Salary cap going up by 1M for next year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They're making the Hall of Fame announcements now.

Ken Hitchcock, Pierre Lacroix, Tom Barrasso, Henrik Lundqvist, Caroline Ouellette, Pierre Turgeon, Mike Vernon

If you didn't think there were enough goalies than this was the year for you. Mike Vernon is as exceptionally poor choice.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
no Mogilny AGAIN is just brutal

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmfao at loving Mike Vernon and Tom Barrasso over Elias and Mogilny

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ken Hitchcock, Pierre Lacroix, Tom Barrasso, Henrik Lundqvist, Caroline Ouellette, Pierre Turgeon, Mike Vernon

If you didn't think there were enough goalies than this was the year for you. Mike Vernon is as exceptionally poor choice.

Mike Vernon isn't even the best HOF case on his own team, and Barrasso has less of a case than Vernon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did someone sneak a bunch of goalies onto the HHOF committee?

Only voting in one woman per year is still dumb as loving poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I wondered about Hitch, given I hadn't heard much about him potentially getting into the HOF despite a stellar career. Good on him. I felt like he got a raw deal at the end in Columbus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
8.5MM seems pretty nuts to pay a goalie?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hell yeah Pierre Turgeon getting in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Barrasso should be in but lmao Mike Vernon.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Turgeon and Vernon over Mogilny. What

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Jeremy Roenick is now the top HHOF-eligible scorer all-time.

Vernon is a really bad choice.

Glad Barrasso is finally in. He does deserve it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hitch getting in reminds me that, in spite of their mediocre history to this point, Columbus will likely have three HOF coaches in someday, with Torts and (shudders) Babcock joining Hitch.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1671597979633868806

Get that money, punchy-man who also scores some.

mcmagic posted:

8.5MM seems pretty nuts to pay a goalie?

That's a bargain compared to Stanley Cup Finalist Sergei Bobrovsky!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Maybe it was the "never getting even top five votes for the All-Star Team" or the "never considered one of the top 20 players in the league at any point in time" or maybe, just maybe it was "one of the softest most one-dimensional players of the modern era" that got him in.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A couple of Flyers reporters are hinting at some major move happening in the next 48-72 hours

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Twin Cinema posted:

Jeremy Roenick is now the top HHOF-eligible scorer all-time.

Vernon is a really bad choice.

Barrasso just had to pay the rear end in a top hat tax

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Maybe it was the "never getting even top five votes for the All-Star Team" or the "never considered one of the top 20 players in the league at any point in time" or maybe, just maybe it was "one of the softest most one-dimensional players of the modern era" that got him in.

The guy who sat on the bench during the Punch up at Piestany got into the hall before Mogilny who fought a buncha dudes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

He is one of the most gigantic assholes that ever played hockey and deserves nothing

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Can anyone explain what the argument is against Mogilny? Seems personal at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There is none, it's malpractice at this point