Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Cid 16 is my favorite Final Fantasy Cid

That is extremely high praise. I can't pick a favorite Cid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just testing in the demo, and VRR definitely helps some with the jerkiness when rotating the camera (though my eyes still start to hurt if I focus too much on anything other than Clive while rotating the camera, though that's partly due to the motion blur - hopefully it isn't long until they add the option to turn that off).

I'll probably just resort to my general "low resolution and/or frame-rate" fix - sitting further from the TV. I normally don't prefer this because 1. I'd rather sit in my chair (whereas sitting further requires laying in bed) and 2. if stuff actually is running at a high resolution and framerate it looks better up close.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oyjldkh5kE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Have any of the reviews said much about the hunt system? I'm curious how involved it is (both in terms of the number of fights and how fun/interesting they are). I'm hoping it has a similar amount of content to FF12's hunts.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Am I going crazy or are the violins in the battle theme starting at around 1:10 borrowing very heavily from the 90's song "Crucified" by "Army of Lovers"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPuSHq-Sl0M

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ytlaya posted:

Have any of the reviews said much about the hunt system? I'm curious how involved it is (both in terms of the number of fights and how fun/interesting they are). I'm hoping it has a similar amount of content to FF12's hunts.

You have about 12-15 in total, in ranks (meaning the hunt targets' levels). You get some lore which also kind of tells you how to find the hunt target. Then you go out, find them, and have a boss fight against them. They were quite nice, and many of them are kinda like remixes. Here's this mini boss you already fought, but instead of doing X, they do Y and Z, how do you deal?

I did all of them because they were fun, and also because I'm a sucker for Moogles telling me to go hunt things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

There are ~20 or so ranked from C-S.

They're basically souped up versions of enemies with a gimmick or special moves not present in previous fights. The highest S-Rank stuff can have some pretty ridiculous moves while lower ranked stuff is just like "you fight a pack of them" or slightly higher stats. There are a couple that are more involved than that. Like the Dread Comet which exists to make FFXIV players have bad flashbacks.

Instead of being given a marker you're told a rough area you need to search in. The higher the rank the more obscure the hint, with S Ranks not even telling you the general area but rather you need to figure it out from the hunt's lore. (This isn't really too complex mind you.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 21, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder how much effort it will take to get the platinum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder how much effort it will take to get the platinum.

The only really time consuming ones are going to be Masterclass (Two full playthroughs with all hunts/sidequests done did not get me enough points so you'd need to grind regular fights) and Finally, Fantasy (which just requires a second playthrough.)

I almost Platinum'd it but wasn't in the mood for grinding out Masterclass.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The big thing for me is Square didn't cut any corners this time. FF15 was filled with cut corners and the production quality was just really low in a lot of places. That isn't the case at all for FF16.

Honestly I'd say "cut corners" doesn't work as a metaphor for FFXV as much as it works for, say, FFXIII: XIII was made under some pretty ridiculous time constraints, while FFXV had a lot more time poured into it. I think "holes patched" fits more for FFXV, since there seem to be a bunch of things that were really extensively developed without a lot of consideration for how they'd fit together in the end.

Anyhow, God, only 10 hours!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I know FF Mode remixes enemy placement but does it change anything about the boss fights?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I know FF Mode remixes enemy placement but does it change anything about the boss fights?

They seemed a bit more aggressive/higher stats but I didn't notice any "this is like a completely different fight" stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

thebardyspoon posted:

When you say basic is it like the FF7 Remake a bit where the sidequests generally consist of walking around the environment, getting a bit of dialogue, sometimes killing some stuff? Cause I think I'm fine with that, it's just good to get general expectations set.

I suppose that is describing sidequests in most games ultimately, I guess I mean, they won't take you to bespoke new content or sections of the game you otherwise wouldn't see, for example?

I mean, CDPR has done pretty interesting things with their sidequests in Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. Initial things that seem like simple fetch quests flipping over and revealing a whole chain of other stuff, things that feature NPCs with a lot of their own story and and which interlink with other side characters' stories, things that make use of minigames in interesting ways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Alright. Cid is my best friend and nothing better happen to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Alright. Cid is my best friend and nothing better happen to him.

Poor Torgal. Big wolf replaced by silver fox

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished the first post-demo dungeon, didn't really notice any performance issues on graphics mode but then again I don't have much of an eye for that, I'm easily impressed.

So far game rules, time to sleep before work, then I'll get back to it in the evening.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Agents are GO! posted:

Just judging by trailers and the demo, I'd pat to hear Ralph Ineson read a phone book.

If you haven't seen it, he's great in The Witch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know the devs gave their own estimates but have we had any reports on how long a normal playthrough (eg not beelining the plot, not doing every piece of optional content) will take?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

35~ hours ish?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
From what I’ve seen around online from anecdotes on Reddit and reviewers, about 35-40 hours beelining then main story, up to 70-80 hours if you do all the side quests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My first playthrough was 55 hours for an "All marks and sidequests" playthrough.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How much control does the game allow you for graphics tweaks? I was watching a stream and the effect they chose for cinematic clashes makes my eyeballs throb, but all I can find online is articles about "quality mode vs performance mode".

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Just a heads up, I don’t recommend watching the Digital Foundary review. I would not say it’s spoiler heavy, but there are definitely at least minor spoilers, maybe one somewhat significant one, and several things that provide enough information that might be spoilers if you played the demo or watched ta bunch of trailers and can put two and two together.

The TL;DR is:
- No control over motion blur currently. Developers said they would patch it in eventually.
- DF recommends playing on graphics mode (30 fps) for now
- Frame rate mode is generally too much of a compromise in terms of resolution, shadow quality, etc. and still struggles to reach 60 even then
- The day one patch didn’t seem to help much for performance, but they also showed it as version 1.02 and I thought there was actually a 1.03 so who knows.
- Frame rate mode actually can hit 60fps during combat and has lower frame rates when out of combat. So basically that thing Maximillian Dood mentioned about 60 fps only in combat seems to be true. It seems the game achieves this in combat by dropping internal res to 720p and lowering rendering detail. Even then it doesn’t always hit 60fps but generally is close (high 50s) most of the time.
- Upscaling to 4K is AMD’s FSR1. They said it isn’t the best and there are noticeable artifacts, but it was one of those things where the zoomed in and I still couldn’t tell what they were talking about.
- Game overall looks, sounds, and plays amazing.
- However it can be a bit jarring seeing the high res character and facial models and dramatic lighting in major story cutscenes, and then talking to NPCs uses much lower quality models, animations, and lighting. Basically like FF7R handled major cutscenes vs talking to NPCs.
- Spoiler: Best looking grapes in a video game. Far surpassing even what was achieved in FF14.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Digital Foundry though can be kinda harsh sometimes. A 1fps dip will cause them to completely dismiss a game. This doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as Jedi Survivor, based on the demo.

Uhhhh it is not a 1 fps dip dude. Game struggles to hit 60 normally, they did also release a small day 1 patch that addresses this. The solution was 60 fps in battles with some dips, but the resolution drops to 720p. And when you leave a battle it’ll go back to 30-45 fps range in exploration.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
@ImpAtom Did you find the game too easy? It's my biggest fear as someone who's used to character action games.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Spermando posted:

@ImpAtom Did you find the game too easy? It's my biggest fear as someone who's used to character action games.

My biggest fear is one of those aneurysms that leaves you conscious but completely paralyzed, but you do you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Unfortunately I can only really say that yeah, it's going to feel easy most of the time if you're a CA vet. I didn't actually die once in my first playthrough and died only once in FF mode because I wasn't paying close attention. That said part of that is because the game gives you an *absolute shitton* of healing items. If you're willing to minimize use of healing items you'll probably be a bit more engaged. Arcade Mode has extra bite to it, especially on Ultimaniac, but at least part of that is that on Ultimaniac you get way fewer healing items.

Like genuinely my honest feeling is that if you're worried about it being too easy then try to finish it without healing items or minimize your healing item use. It probably still won't be punishingly hard but it'll add extra tension.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Why can’t I play this drat game yet

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I always save my potions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately I can only really say that yeah, it's going to feel easy most of the time if you're a CA vet. I didn't actually die once in my first playthrough and died only once in FF mode because I wasn't paying close attention. That said part of that is because the game gives you an *absolute shitton* of healing items. If you're willing to minimize use of healing items you'll probably be a bit more engaged. Arcade Mode has extra bite to it, especially on Ultimaniac, but at least part of that is that on Ultimaniac you get way fewer healing items.

Like genuinely my honest feeling is that if you're worried about it being too easy then try to finish it without healing items or minimize your healing item use. It probably still won't be punishingly hard but it'll add extra tension.

Yeah, when I played the demo my biggest challenge is that I didn't want to just beat things - I wanted to beat them with a bunch of perfect dodges (and with the actual game and that practice mode I'll try to get more parries as well). When I died or came close to dying, it was mainly because I was constantly trying to pull of perfect dodges or parries (and would eat poo poo when I failed), but in most of those situations I could have avoided the attacks by simply running around (but that feels lame). I get the impression that it's pretty easy to survive if you just play it safe.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, when I played the demo my biggest challenge is that I didn't want to just beat things - I wanted to beat them with a bunch of perfect dodges (and with the actual game and that practice mode I'll try to get more parries as well). When I died or came close to dying, it was mainly because I was constantly trying to pull of perfect dodges or parries (and would eat poo poo when I failed), but in most of those situations I could have avoided the attacks by simply running around (but that feels lame). I get the impression that it's pretty easy to survive if you just play it safe.

Yeah even though there isn't a rating after each battle I still feel like there is and I want all Ss.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

so, uhh, have ps5 games been emulated on pc yet

no reason

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I died to Benedikta’s last form as my first death but then you respawn at her last phase with full potions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yeah even though there isn't a rating after each battle I still feel like there is and I want all Ss.

Arcade Mode actually ranks you after battles!

That said it seems very forgiving.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I always save my potions.

you cannot trust anyone who has ever (EVER) used a megalixer.

this rule has never failed me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Uhhhh it is not a 1 fps dip dude. Game struggles to hit 60 normally, they did also release a small day 1 patch that addresses this. The solution was 60 fps in battles with some dips, but the resolution drops to 720p. And when you leave a battle it’ll go back to 30-45 fps range in exploration.

I wasnt specifically talking about FF16.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fuligin posted:

so, uhh, have ps5 games been emulated on pc yet

no reason

Yeah but you gotta buy a $600 adapter to do it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That reminds me that I can't do remote play since my PS5 is on wifi and my PC is wired, even though it's all the same Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PS4 still hasn't really been emulated. The furthest along a single emulator has gotten, is that it can kinda barely play a few multi port indie games that already have PC ports, and it only works on Linux.