Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Doomykins posted:

Fear and Hunger is an experience to be sure but it's pushed very far to the side of exploration, note keeping, preparation and cruel RNG. You can't level up to stat boost past power curves, for example. It's fascinating but also has giant pecker guards that rape you to death.
Yeah, discutible content aside, I don't think this is a game for someone who enjoyed old school Rogue or modern Diablo. It shares more DNA with misery simulators like Pathologic than those games, imo.

Super Eyepatch Wolf has a good video on it that goes over the entire game, including most of the secrets and story, if you want to get the good without suffering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIkWHo1SJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I honestly don't think you could make a game as easy as Diablo 1 again and get away with the same sort of atmosphere. I think basic game knowledge has increased too much in the 25+ years since its release that the same oppressive feeling would be somewhat lost without a difficulty increase. Or you'd have to invest heavily into the atmospheric elements that made it feel scary to play.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Im not really a fan of poe’s campaign. Its fine i guess but not exactly something i play the slightest attention to anymore.

The game lore is super interesting though. As a westerner who knows little to nothing about Australian Aboriginal religious beliefs its some wild stuff. Worth a look, imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Zero VGS posted:

Playing it possibly several times each league isn't so great, but the first time it's awesome.

the first time i wanted to stop playing the game and i did. like 4 times. its only bcos ppl i know said the end game is good that i ever pushed thru it and it makes me not really play more than one character a league. its lucky the end game systems are so good that they make it worth it bcos its easily the worst campaign in any arpg thats actually worth playing.

Zero VGS posted:

The person asking was presumably thinking of paying $70 just to play the D4 campaign, which, I'm not sure if I can think of a worse use of $70 in gaming.

yeah its worse than forspoken or the avatar video game or any of the other dogshit full price AAA tier games you can get. for sure. saying this absoltuely doesnt sound completely stupid.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm 55/56 locations visited in Hawezar but I can't see anywhere on the map I'm obviously missing. Hopefully I get it as I get the Lilith statues.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's a good campaign by the metrics of video games and it ain't so bad by other metrics. There are far worse ways to spend your money if you wanna meet some fun characters and watch some cool cinematics.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

unattended spaghetti posted:

Off topic I know but I'd really dig it if the Diablo I approach to arpg design would make a comeback. Feel like there's not a ton of stuff that is that close to the roguelike roots of the genre. Modern roguelike games have opted for arcade stylings with permadeath which is cool and all but a methodical dungeon dive that feels legit hostile would play well with modern sensibilities I think.

Unless this already exists and I don't know about it of course.
I wonder how difficult it would be for them to straight up recreate the Tristram cathedral randomized dungeon, from the top all the way down, within D4 as a sort of mini expansion. Include all of the original music too for maximum feels.

I realize that's a lot more effort for them than selling premium transmogs at $25 each, but it would rule.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think you could make a new Diablo 1, the issue is if it's any fun to play to people seeking that. Trying to market Diablo 1a to the modern arpg crowd and their dopamine addictions would immediately fail, but a cool new dungeon dive could be its own thing.

While we're here on a tangent Halls of Torment is a direct homage to Diablo 1 in the same graphical style, down to the ancient PS1 quality pre-renders and voice acting. It's also a better than average VS clone game featuring good design and gameplay and innovations like enemies with different attacks and behavior and bosses with patterns. Definitely a good time, though not that scary.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, discutible content aside, I don't think this is a game for someone who enjoyed old school Rogue or modern Diablo. It shares more DNA with misery simulators like Pathologic than those games, imo.

Super Eyepatch Wolf has a good video on it that goes over the entire game, including most of the secrets and story, if you want to get the good without suffering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIkWHo1SJY

Oh rad, thanks!

Ersatz posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be for them to straight up recreate the Tristram cathedral randomized dungeon, from the top all the way down, within D4 as a sort of mini expansion. Include all of the original music too for maximum feels.

I realize that's a lot more effort for them than selling premium transmogs at $25 each, but it would rule.

They did it for D3!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I bought the game a week ago, got a Necro already at level 34. I love the fast and easy early respec, I remember wasting my first D2 charachters pre expansion with useless builds , changing my mind and just restarting.
I changed from the starting smorgasbord of bone / darkness / minion mix to a Golem+blood nova build.
It was weak as hell and had huge problems taking down elites but it has come into life after I got the final skill that forces a vitality based damage spike every 15 seconds that I use as a starter to clear the chaff away and crafted that barrier passive that activates when hitting elites.
I know it's just babby's first build but it's been fun!
I still have problems taking down high hp meatwalls but I don't want to ditch decrepify... maybe I should axe bonestorm, it's a little bit redundant with blood surge...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Guillermus posted:

The closest to Diablo 1 I played but modernized was Torchlight 1. If you go to older games you can get Nox or the very first Divinity game (both on GOG.com btw).

It helps that Torchlight got the same composer, though I don't think he brought his A game.

I tried turning off the D4 music and playing the D2 music instead but it doesn't match. D4 is too polished, when you kill enemies there's not chunks of giblets on the ground, it's nice this game runs at 120hz but yeah it all makes the music not work for me, but you can try it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4pcODdma8

Stux posted:

yeah its worse than forspoken or the avatar video game or any of the other dogshit full price AAA tier games you can get. for sure. saying this absoltuely doesnt sound completely stupid.

Whatever bud, I gave a quick list of things that are better campaigns for the $ spent.

I had no idea Forspoken is $70 too lol. I've been playing too many F2P and :filez: to realize all the AAA are $70 now.

wemgo posted:

The game lore is super interesting though. As a westerner who knows little to nothing about Australian Aboriginal religious beliefs its some wild stuff. Worth a look, imo

The Karui in the game are based on the Maori, indigenous Polynesians of New Zealand, as the devs are from NZ. Honest mistake to make though, I still confuse the NZ/Aus accents.

There's also at least five canon LGBT characters in the game, it gets some diversity points for sure.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SettingSun posted:

I'm 55/56 locations visited in Hawezar but I can't see anywhere on the map I'm obviously missing. Hopefully I get it as I get the Lilith statues.

If you mouse over the map enough eventually youll reach a part labeled “Undiscovered”, you should find it pretty quick if you just do a quick scan over.

In all likelihood it’s the world boss arena, most of them are in pretty out of the way spots so people don’t just stumble onto them

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I dont play diablo for the campaign (its okay if you do) but i do appreciate the fact the campaign isnt offensively bad like d3’s.

Also, i would probably pay $20 for an mtx that causes asmodan’s floating head to appear at random and remind me how unstoppable he is

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Doomykins posted:

I think you could make a new Diablo 1, the issue is if it's any fun to play to people seeking that. Trying to market Diablo 1a to the modern arpg crowd and their dopamine addictions would immediately fail, but a cool new dungeon dive could be its own thing.

While we're here on a tangent Halls of Torment is a direct homage to Diablo 1 in the same graphical style, down to the ancient PS1 quality pre-renders and voice acting. It's also a better than average VS clone game featuring good design and gameplay and innovations like enemies with different attacks and behavior and bosses with patterns. Definitely a good time, though not that scary.

Oh rad, thanks!

They did it for D3!
Lol - I somehow blanked that, despite having put serious hours into all three earlier Diablos. But did the D3 recreation actually have the same scale/randomization?

I think that what I personally miss most from D1 is the ~atmosphere~. It's hard to gauge the extent to which the feeling I had playing it was related to simply being a kid at that time, compared against what they managed to accomplish artistically, but it felt actually scary in a way that none of the other entries have. Appropriately so given that the goal was to march into hell to confront the Lord of Terror.

D4 isn't rainbows and unicorns, and I do enjoy what they've done with the scenery and music, but it's just not comparable to D1 in terms of emotional impact.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I was just thinking about the Andariel and Duriel fights and realized

Hey, we fight them. They were reformed. Does this mean Belial and Azmodan are already back? I guess Lesser Evils have a shorter recharge. Maybe they'll be the preludes to the Prime Evils showing back up in the expacs. They're goofy fuckers but not inherently bad designs, I'd love if they got the D4 treatment.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I want Azmo the dunkmaster from HotS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andariel and Duriel were last killed ~70 years ago, Azmodan and Belial only 50. So maybe they need more time chillaxing in the Evil Kool-Aid bubble.

It is kind of funny that they made a big deal out of Elias resurrecting Andy only for Duriel to just pop up like "oh hey, I'm here too." Seems like his entire piece was cut out of Act 4.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Incoherence posted:

story thing: Is it just me, or is this the first time in the series that the story feels incomplete without the eventual expansion? The previous games' expansions are all side stories involving villains other than Diablo; it seems fairly clear that in the D4 expansion, the lords of Hell will invade Sanctuary and probably Neyrelle will come back and go "whoops I failed to hide the soulstone properly" and then we'll fight Diablo, since Lilith spends half her on-screen time telling us this is going to happen and even Mephisto says "yeah that's definitely happening but we can work together for now".

D1 had the MC shoving diablo's soulstone in his head which the first game made pretty clear wasn't going to work out well for him, D2 was almost literally baal shouting "see you in the expansion!" I was originally going to say that D3 was the only one without a hook for an expansion or sequel, but actually even D3 had the black soulstone with all seven evils stuck in it just kind of falling from heaven. It's a series staple. It's the first time Diablo himself isn't the antagonist, but the open-ended storytelling is the same across all four games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

D1 is dark, claustrophobic, and focused. As grimdark as D4 is I don’t think the atmosphere is that similar.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Boys wtf is going on here, why did my damage fall off a cliff as I level beyond 80??? I even did a few renown here and got eight paragon points but my ice shards are doing like 25k when they were hitting the same nm tier dungeon (38) for 100k at 79? This makes no sense

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Andariel and Duriel were last killed ~70 years ago, Azmodan and Belial only 50. So maybe they need more time chillaxing in the Evil Kool-Aid bubble.

It is kind of funny that they made a big deal out of Elias resurrecting Andy only for Duriel to just pop up like "oh hey, I'm here too." Seems like his entire piece was cut out of Act 4.

Depends if the black soulstone was the starting point or when they originally got smacked up.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

In D3 you don't loot yellows at all, in the last season your pet automatically salvages them as soon as they drop for you even lol. What game were you playing?

I played D3 for the first five months of release and then never went back. So D4 has a system that is akin to D3's worst days in its release.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
it is finally done

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1671620371445960706

and no one cares

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks, now i cant get michael jackson’s “bad” out of my head

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

He got you good man

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

he certainly super spread that wrong opinion about diablo 4

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Yall crying about affix variety and loot sorting when all I want is for the Exit button to not be highlighted by default when loading the game.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Did this really happen? Lmao

SettingSun posted:

There’s an off coast spot northeast of the waypoint in the southeastern part of the zone. You go there for the story, but there’s no reason to go there otherwise.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
what game is him going to spend 18 hours a day obsessively playing next

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

unattended spaghetti posted:

Off topic I know but I'd really dig it if the Diablo I approach to arpg design would make a comeback. Feel like there's not a ton of stuff that is that close to the roguelike roots of the genre. Modern roguelike games have opted for arcade stylings with permadeath which is cool and all but a methodical dungeon dive that feels legit hostile would play well with modern sensibilities I think.

Unless this already exists and I don't know about it of course.

dude, you should go post this in the roguelike thread if you're not already familiar with it.

what a loving weirdo

i do think d4 isn't a very good game in its current state but imagine pming someone that likes the game to tell them they're wrong. games posters are deranged

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Final Fantasy 16.

People like to dogpile, but I didn't say the game was absolutely trash. I said I put the time into the game, it's a 6/10 but the end-game falls apart. It's absolutely true, and the game needed 6-12 more months in the oven. Spending 10h a day over launch week was something many many people did, I'm not an outlier on that front.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have a question regarding the "Seething" glyph. It says "While wielding a sword, you gain 3 fury when killing an enemy." Does anyone know if this effect works for both 1H and 2H swords? It doesn't specify either but I would like to know before I start spending XP on it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Zotix is right. Do you guys realize how many people put hundreds of hours into poo poo like New World despite it being garbage and having a weak endgame? It took months for those people to eventually quit and move on.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lister posted:

Zotix is right. Do you guys realize how many people put hundreds of hours into poo poo like New World despite it being garbage and having a weak endgame? It took months for those people to eventually quit and move on.

I know you're memeing, but many people will play a bad or mediocre game far longer with a group of friends than they would solo, just because of the social aspect. Most Goons aren't social people so I get that it's a hard concept for some to understand.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Zotix posted:

Final Fantasy 16.

People like to dogpile, but I didn't say the game was absolutely trash. I said I put the time into the game, it's a 6/10 but the end-game falls apart. It's absolutely true, and the game needed 6-12 more months in the oven. Spending 10h a day over launch week was something many many people did, I'm not an outlier on that front.

You came back in the thread after that?? Incredible. You keep posting the same poo poo without acknowledging anyone else.

You don’t have to put time into a game to decide it isn’t for you. It’s ok to stop playing without literally spending a week of your life on something. There’s actually not a minimum time requirement.

Edit: oh I see the new argument is a well adjusted person with a great life spends literally half their time for several weeks playing WITH FRIENDS. Just take the L you posted some dumb poo poo and got laughed at about it on the internet.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jaytan posted:

You came back in the thread after that?? Incredible. You keep posting the same poo poo without acknowledging anyone else.

You don’t have to put time into a game to decide it isn’t for you. It’s ok to stop playing without literally spending a week of your life on something. There’s actually not a minimum time requirement.

Thank you for your valuable input. I do appreciate Mr. level 45's take on how others should play a game, or spend their time. I do apologize I'm not a fulltime SA poster. I had 200 hours in 3 weeks playing a game, not posting on an internet forum.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Zotix posted:

I know you're memeing, but many people will play a bad or mediocre game far longer with a group of friends than they would solo, just because of the social aspect. Most Goons aren't social people so I get that it's a hard concept for some to understand.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Jaytan posted:

Did this really happen? Lmao

There’s an off coast spot northeast of the waypoint in the southeastern part of the zone. You go there for the story, but there’s no reason to go there otherwise.

my mans popping off in there lol

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The amount of confusion over seasons for 'average' gamers right now is very, very nonsensical and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Zotix posted:

Thank you for your valuable input. I do appreciate Mr. level 45's take on how others should play a game, or spend their time.

You seem to be struggling with borderline compulsive behavior, and are melting down on an Internet forum. Keep posting how your life is great and your social life is amazing because your post history in this thread sends a clear message otherwise. I sincerely hope things turn around you.