Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I thought it was fiiine, I do hope it picks up a bit but I like the leads and Olivia Coleman was great. I do have concerns that the antagonists so far are incredibly 2d evil and stupid. Any attempt at justifying any of this is going to make like zero sense considering their level of technology and their apparent ability to just…live peacefully like most of their embedded civilian population is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

"Moscow" looked like absolute poo poo and will fool no-one.

Sam Jackson was spotted in my home town St Helens, UK filming this a few months back lol. I think the power plants are filmed at an abandoned factory here. The rest of the Moscow stuff looked like UK too, I don’t usually pay attention to that stuff but because it was filmed here I paid attention and it deffo looks like UK road signs visible.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

live with fruit posted:

An 11 year character died.

...is that bad? Because I feel nothing.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

...is that bad? Because I feel nothing.

It's something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Annabel Pee posted:

Sam Jackson was spotted in my home town St Helens, UK filming this a few months back lol. I think the power plants are filmed at an abandoned factory here. The rest of the Moscow stuff looked like UK too, I don’t usually pay attention to that stuff but because it was filmed here I paid attention and it deffo looks like UK road signs visible.

I forgot that they were in Moscow until Talos said something in Russian.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

An 11 year character died.

53 minutes of nothing happening followed by a very generic “shock twist” happening (and one that will no doubt be undone soon) doesn’t magically make the rest good. Like can anyone say they actually truly gave a poo poo about Emilia Clarke’s character and her tiff with her dad

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ross is probably still alive but Hill's clearly dead.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Annabel Pee posted:

I swear at one point they were in the exact same street from the scotland scene in infinity war with wanda and vision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uZiiD9pBo&t=56s

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zoobtro posted:

I swear at one point they were in the exact same street from the scotland scene in infinity war with wanda and vision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2uZiiD9pBo&t=56s

They actually shot those scenes in Infinity War in Edinburgh, so they weren't the same place.

The cafe where Scarlet Witch first gets attacked actually completely remodeled itself with an Avenger's theme shortly after the movie came out.

For the TV shows, they are almost always filmed in either Liverpool in the U.K., Atlanta in the U.S., or Sydney in Australia.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

live with fruit posted:

The problem, and part of my "I feel nothing" is that Maria Hill isn't much of a character. Colbie Smulders is great, and as a kickass SHIELD agent Hill does the part well in scenes that need a kickass SHIELD agent. But what are her character traits outside of "badass operative"? In those 11 years we've learned nothing about her. Nothing. She's just Nick Fury's PA who is good with a gun and knows karate. Her death feels like a cynical endpoint where the need for a recurring agent has ended, the actress wants to move on, and might as well just ice her to imply some kind of stakes exist in the story.

The problem with Maria Hill's death, is that they didn't let her live first. And now she dies, in a cheap replica of Moscow, failing to follow a bag through a crowd. RIP in peace.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem, and part of my "I feel nothing" is that Maria Hill isn't much of a character. Colbie Smulders is great, and as a kickass SHIELD agent Hill does the part well in scenes that need a kickass SHIELD agent. But what are her character traits outside of "badass operative"? In those 11 years we've learned nothing about her. Nothing. She's just Nick Fury's PA who is good with a gun and knows karate. Her death feels like a cynical endpoint where the need for a recurring agent has ended, the actress wants to move on, and might as well just ice her to imply some kind of stakes exist in the story.

The problem with Maria Hill's death, is that they didn't let her live first. And now she dies, in a cheap replica of Moscow, failing to follow a bag through a crowd. RIP in peace.

I'm not saying they didn't fridge her.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

live with fruit posted:

yeah I can't rule out Hill's death being a fakeout after only one episode, but it definitely didn't feel like it was meant to be a fakeout

I don't disagree with anything parkingtigers said above, though, it didn't have much of the intended weight for those reasons

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 21, 2023

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wow that ending really was a sour point. So many missed opportunities over the years and just when it seems they’re going to give the character an opportunity they end it, poorly.

The highlight for me was Olivia Coleman.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just wait until the credits scene in the finale where she shows up at Valhalla and parties with everyone else.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mutata posted:

Just wait until the credits scene in the finale where she shows up at Valhalla and parties with everyone else.

People love to make comments like this but what characters have the MCU brought back from the dead?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

People love to make comments like this but what characters have the MCU brought back from the dead?

Doctor Strange literally rises from the grave at the climax of MoM!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

live with fruit posted:

I think you need to reread my comment.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Secret Invasion? More like public embarrassment, that loving sucked, the AI art opening is the clearest signpost yet that the MCU is now creatively bankrupt

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm not sure how much of it is just Twitter being Twitter, or kneejerk anti-MCU sentiment, but the AI art thing has seriously pissed off a ton of people online. Seeing more angry discussion about that than discussion of the show itself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm not sure how much of it is just Twitter being Twitter, or kneejerk anti-MCU sentiment, but the AI art thing has seriously pissed off a ton of people online. Seeing more angry discussion about that than discussion of the show itself.

People get very very angry about AI. Which can be justified or otherwise, depending on the context (in this case it seems valid). But definitely the bigger travesty to me is how this is shaping up to be yet another mid-rear end MCU show except potentially less entertaining

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Considering how many starving artists there are especially in CGI workhouses I dont blame them. An entire creative industry is a couple years away from being obsolete, no doubt the ideal production company for disney is some lone executive farting ideas out to an AI production suite and recreating an entire cinematic universe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Paracausal posted:

Secret Invasion? More like public embarrassment, that loving sucked, the AI art opening is the clearest signpost yet that the MCU is now creatively bankrupt

I...guess. I noticed that the opening credits seemed a bit odd, but honestly, unless the credits are something really special like those of Peacemaker I'll usually skip or fast-forward through them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I loving hate "who's the secret Skrull impostor" nonsense we're about to go through. Just a way for writers to lazily retcon stuff to try and fart out an ending.

The one and only time a "Spot the Secret alien" narratively worked for me was BSG's Cylons.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i enjoyed the tv episode. i look forward to more episodes of television

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If nothing else, it's funny that people think this is the first step towards Marvel and everyone else using AI to write movies and replace actors when it objectively looks like poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kumba posted:

i enjoyed the tv episode. i look forward to more episodes of television
How DARE you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Loki.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I recognised bits of London here and there, and the big square at the end was Halifax Piece Hall, a Georgian cloth market.

As always, Olivia Colman was the most interesting person on screen.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wow that ending really was a sour point. So many missed opportunities over the years and just when it seems they’re going to give the character an opportunity they end it, poorly.

The highlight for me was Olivia Coleman.

Totally agree, that ending was a wet fart. Coleman and Jackson bantering was great and I hope the show does more of that. Opening titles were gross and bad, but I understand what they were going for with that.

Also, hey if you don't like the show you can just not watch, you know? The whole "oh i just did something else and stopped paying attention, but I'm gonna keep posting about why this sucks" is so loving exhausting.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
But then we won't understand what's going on in The Marvels.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Also, hey if you don't like the show you can just not watch, you know? The whole "oh i just did something else and stopped paying attention, but I'm gonna keep posting about why this sucks" is so loving exhausting.

Nowhere near as exhausting as those who can’t handle any criticism of something they enjoyed and throw a fit about it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

live with fruit posted:

literally half of the entire universe

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Nowhere near as exhausting as those who can’t handle any criticism of something they enjoyed and throw a fit about it

why should i listen to criticism from someone who straight up said they stopped paying attention?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking of people who've died, was Hill's "Is that who this is really about?" or whatever comment about Stark? And why did everyone hate him? Do they think that Fury hosed up, or are they just regular ol' racists?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Firebert posted:

I thought it was fiiine, I do hope it picks up a bit but I like the leads and Olivia Coleman was great. I do have concerns that the antagonists so far are incredibly 2d evil and stupid. Any attempt at justifying any of this is going to make like zero sense considering their level of technology and their apparent ability to just…live peacefully like most of their embedded civilian population is doing.

I'm still not through the first episode, but is it really hard to buy the set-up for the Skrulls here? You know what "passing" is, right? Right now the Skrulls have been passing as humans for 30+ years. Is it really that hard to believe that they want to live in their own skins on their own world?

Granted that I do not have much faith in the MCU being able to tell that story with any kind of subtlety or nuance, but it is a story to be told.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I'm still not through the first episode, but is it really hard to buy the set-up for the Skrulls here? You know what "passing" is, right? Right now the Skrulls have been passing as humans for 30+ years. Is it really that hard to believe that they want to live in their own skins on their own world?

Granted that I do not have much faith in the MCU being able to tell that story with any kind of subtlety or nuance, but it is a story to be told.

Especially since that's their pass phrase. I really thought we would have a few more episodes before they did the Flagsmasher "They have point but look how evil they are", but nope. Right to explosions and collateral damage.

I dig Talos and Fury and their dynamic, I'm hoping Coleman's character has a bigger role, but I don't really know where this is going.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Honestly how does it take 30+ years to find a planet when you know plenty of aliens and humans that can fly around space?

And there's already aliens living openly on Earth!

And Wakanda still exists!

Fury really does seem to suck at his job is all I'm sayin'

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

koolkal posted:

Honestly how does it take 30+ years to find a planet when you know plenty of aliens and humans that can fly around space?

And there's already aliens living openly on Earth!

And Wakanda still exists!

Fury really does seem to suck at his job is all I'm sayin'

Hell what about Thanos's retirement planet? There's already a farm with a Thanos-armor scarecrow, plus tasty weird fruits.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I dig Talos and Fury and their dynamic, I'm hoping Coleman's character has a bigger role, but I don't really know where this is going.

It's pretty suspicious that spy master Colman didn't realize that Fury put a camera in her office. And that the bad guy in little girl form was there when her men scooped Fury up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of people who've died, was Hill's "Is that who this is really about?" or whatever comment about Stark? And why did everyone hate him? Do they think that Fury hosed up, or are they just regular ol' racists?

According to the wiki, Maria Hill worked for Stark Industries after the scandal resulting from Captain America: winter soldier.

If you look at the history of Fury and SHIELD since the Avengers, he won the battles and lost the war. His organization got infiltrated, the avengers dissolved in a huge public airport fight, and aliens stomped the hell out of earth.