Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I believe it was said before they now think the noise are thought to be unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

LMAO I just realized it looks like a suction vibrator

This is very disturbing.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Sydin posted:

The differences between the Gaben sub and OceanGate's "innovative" heap of poo poo are absolutely insane.

ILL SAY

"Uses an official Sony DS4"

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Buce posted:

is there no bottom to this story?

No, unlike the ocean

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

As you finish releasing your anxiety poop and post crescendo Celine Dion fades to a gentle melody. You take a moment to stare at the endless abyss beyond the portal in front of you. Your last moment of consciousness is a light "tink" from the window.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Gullous posted:

Agreed, 30 minute intervals is just lazy

It would probably be deafening inside

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zedprime posted:

There's a pretty good chance the Navy will jump on doing investigation and recovery because there is some middle ranked Dr Robotnik who is all "finally my gizmos!" and gets the green light because this is a good simulation of stealing a Chinese submarine wreck.

honestly "this is a unique training opportunity" has swung me around to being fine with the Snr resources, even if the main reason is the King of Britain and a semi-randomized selection of the biggest assholes in Pakistan and the Emirates all telephoning Joe Biden (and, presumably, Justin Trudeau)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean yeah it's at the point I hope they're dead bc otherwise, imagining them stuck down there this long is loving harrowing. I hope it was painless and swift for them, however they went.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kiimo posted:

they're talking about inheritance

There is no inheritance, UK citizens don't operate private jet and luxury London real estate brokerages in the U.E.A. when they are doing things by the books, whatever money there was is going to evaporate among complex business deals with shady associates.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

LMAO I just realized it looks like a suction vibrator

It's not enough for this sub to destroy 5 people's lives; it's also gotta destroy my wife's clitoris?!

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I’m sure it’s been mentioned already but I have to say it was a very forward thinking decision to name their company a portmanteau typically reserved for disastrous scandals.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

vibrators don't destroy clitorises, people do

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

William Bear posted:

It's not enough for this sub to destroy 5 people's lives; it's also gotta destroy my wife's clitoris?!

That’s why she should take a dolphin over an orca

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are the rich people dead yet

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

honestly "this is a unique training opportunity" has swung me around to being fine with the Snr resources, even if the main reason is the King of Britain and a semi-randomized selection of the biggest assholes in Pakistan and the Emirates all telephoning Joe Biden (and, presumably, Justin Trudeau)

Eh, there's a pretty long tradition of oceanic search and rescue efforts well out of scale with the number of people missing - nobody wants to be the person to put a dollar value on a life, at least while there's still some hope. This is the first time it's been tested for something as stupid as a half-assed minisub, but it's not that out of line with things like MH370 search, or even searches for missing boats and so on.

Edit: Also, sorry, I'm out of cool and relevant matsci pics. I actually went looking, but Shukla's group hasn't uploaded any of the videos that they've shown at conferences.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

drunkb posted:

I missed so much since yesterday morning. Why didn’t that goon that built a submarine try this instead of murdering a journalist lady?

Oh yeah…goon

For like the millionth time submarine murderer wasn’t a goon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If the pilot killed the rest of them how much longer would the air supply hold out for

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Do y'all think they're munching on each other's flesh if they're not dead?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Bah gawd, that’s the CIA’s music!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Real talk: has anyone actually confirmed that this guy is really Harding's stepson? Could this guy just be some loser chasing clout?

Based on what I can find he's not the son of his current wife. He's 42 years old putting Harding at 16 when he was born. His biological Dad is an FBI agent so I'm assuming his mother is American too.

I can't find anything about him prior to 2019 but something about this doesn't smell right.

Edit: never mind it's been confirmed he's the son of the current wife.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 21, 2023

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My guess, given how this thing was cobbled together, is they had total electrical failure, sunk like a stone, and have either suffocated or frozen to death. Or went pop.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Further Reading posted:

but something about this doesn't smell right.

Neither does the inside of the sub

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
i love my Blink 182 submarine stepson

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Are there no sonar devices that give a 3D image of what's down there? Or does that equipment exist but wouldn't be able to reach down that far?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are there no sonar devices that give a 3D image of what's down there? Or does that equipment exist but wouldn't be able to reach down that far?

Do you know how big the ocean floor is?

Edit to be slightly less facetious: like yes of course we can 3D map the ocean floor, and have done for various useful/scientifically interesting sections, but what relevance is that to this situation? Also imagine what resolution those images would need to be for a small submersible to even resolve as anything man-made as opposed to just another lump of whatever, and that's assuming it isn't flotsam by now

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 21, 2023

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Bad Purchase posted:

vibrators don't destroy clitorises, people do

I refuse to let a machine make my job obsolete

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Real talk: has anyone actually confirmed that this guy is really Harding's stepson? Could this guy just be some loser chasing clout?

Based on what I can find he's not the son of his current wife. He's 42 years old putting Harding at 16 when he was born. His biological Dad is an FBI agent so I'm assuming his mother is American too.

I can't find anything snout him prior to 2019 but something about this doesn't smell right.

It's been reported by reputable news sources.

Here is some digging the Sun did on the current wife, Brian's mum.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Droogie posted:

I refuse to let a machine make my job obsolete

What if the machine is indistinguishable from human? Is it okay then?

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

the ocean is big op

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

some company did this and released the 3d scan of the wreck area like two months ago actually lol

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Grey Cat posted:

What if the machine is indistinguishable from human? Is it okay then?

Only after regular business hours

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Probably dead days ago when they all immediately resorted to their billionaire instincts and tried to breathe up all the air so no one else could have any.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Ah drat, being a weirdo clout chaser would have been hilarious.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Dying in a clearly-very-safe-no-problems-could-possibly-happen submersible, trying to gawk at the skeletons in an 'unsinkable' vessel.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like how the internet seems to be divided between thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers. Oh god bless, and then most people like us just laughing.

Clearly if there were less regulations, this would be a thing of the past! Who's next to try and scour not only the wreckage of the Titanic, but to rescue this fine and not at all flattened out carbon fiber donut? Is it okay to call it a long John? A cream filled long John.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to the next five billionaires going down in a tin can to look at the wreck of the last five billionaires who went down in a tin can.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm just saying that if they can get a detailed 3D sonar image of approximately where the submersible is/was, then they'd really be able to tell, generally, what happened, and whether or not they even need to bother rushing to try and get it.

Though I guess after tomorrow at 7am, it won't matter at all.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Earth is literally the water planet sci-fi trope.

IIRC Our planet's surface is 74% water