Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hope they get rescued so they are forced to emerge from their harrowing experience to discover absolutely everyone in the world thinks they suck and is laughing at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Odonata posted:

It's gonna be neat if that washes up on some random beach in a few years and someone finds a capsule full of billionaire mummies.

Yeah if it's on the surface it's gonna become a ghost sub basically

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Grey Cat posted:

Referring to my timer from yesterday https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670
They supposedly have less than 14hrs of air left, so pretty unlikely, this kinda thing usually takes days from when it happens and they KNOW where they are. This is an unprecedented and they still don't even know where they are. So assuming they aren't on the surface they are dead.

How much air is left if there's only 4 people breathing though? One of the 5 has gotta be willing to kill to have a shot at life right? The billionaire for sure.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ThinkTank posted:

I hope they get rescued so they are forced to emerge from their harrowing experience to discover absolutely everyone in the world thinks they suck and is laughing at them.

They must be held accountable for their impact on the Logitech share price.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Let's send Bezos new $500 million yacht and it's support yacht down after the sub.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

This is that billionaires fetish.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Sydin posted:

"we want it to look sleek and futuristic"

100% it was this that made it not have a transponder, not have sharp edges, not be contrasting. Which makes it more funny that it has some rusty chain and S hooks under it to hold ballast

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ruddiger posted:

see you later, leather skin tanned white people

wtf that doesn’t even rhyme

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What do you say when someone says "See you later alligator"?

We stab them with a knife

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Currently hooting and/or hollering at the fact that this submarine has so many design flaws that we'll never know which one killed everyone.

Was it the carbon fiber hull failing, a material you're not supposed to use on subs?

Was it the porthole rated for only 1/4 of the depth they took it to?

The SMS + ship sonar navigation, that seems to repeatedly fail?

Was it the lack of GPS or beacon, so they floated to the surface and then died?

Did all the poo poo protruding from the sub get caught on the Titanic (FUN FACT: every protrusion from the Limiting Factor sub can be detached!)

Did the $25 Logitech controller get a stuck button?

We're never gonna know! Nerds are just going to speculate about this on the internet until the end of time.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 21, 2023

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait what happens when they have to go poop

It's quite a cool system, actually. Based on the information available, the pooper shits in a ziplock bag just a few feet away from everyone, behind a thin curtain, while they crank the Celine Dion tunes so nobody else is bothered by the sounds of their moaning and anal release.

An ingenious solution that I can't wait to see implemented elsewhere, as humanity moves forward into the future.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Wee posted:

From The Daily Mail

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Also Titan apparently doesn’t have any specifically designed strong point to hook a cable to lol.

They can use the ballast eye bolt

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sydin posted:

The Coast Guard's official statement is that they believe oxygen would run out by 7:08 AM EST tomorrow, apparently.

Honestly only being about 30min off isn't too shabby, I'll take it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah if it's on the surface it's gonna become a ghost sub basically

It may have already become a ghost sub

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Buce posted:

is there no bottom to this story?

there is but it's about four kilometers down

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean being an alligator you could just eat them

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Kunabomber posted:

They can use the ballast eye bolt

It probably fell off when they tried rocking the sub side to side.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This story is amazing and I love everything about it

smellmycheese posted:

Channel 5 UK rushing out an hour of airtime. Which is more than the billionaires will have at this point lol

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1671557971615023119?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

:lol:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

they're going to find the sub with everyone alive and well but there's an additional person in there

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bumhead posted:

They must be held accountable for their impact on the Logitech share price.

lol, logitech really did take a dip at the same time the sub went missing :tinfoil:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

smoobles posted:

Currently hooting and/or hollering at the fact that this submarine has so many design flaws that we'll never know which one killed everyone.

Was it the carbon fiber hull failing, a material you're not supposed to use on subs?

Was it the porthole rated for only 1/4 of the depth they took it to?

The SMS + ship sonar navigation, that seems to repeatedly fail?

Was it the lack of GPS or beacon, so they floated to the surface and then died?

Did all the poo poo protruding from the sub get caught on the Titanic (FUN FACT: every protrusion from the Limiting Factor sub can be detached!)

Did the $25 Logitech controller get a stuck button?

We're never gonna know! Nerds are just going to speculate about this on the internet until the end of time.

Rooting hard for “19 year old tested the ‘this controller is built to be thrown around by 16 year olds’ theory” and it just shattered into pieces.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buce posted:

is there no bottom to this story?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

smoobles posted:

quote:

Operational limits
The designed operational maximum dive depth of 11,000 m represents approximate full ocean depth. Test pressure of 14,000 msw provides a safety margin.[2] The vessel has been certified to a preliminary maximum diving depth of 10925 +-6.5 m by DNV, based on data from the deepest dive.[1] The vessel is commercially rated for repeated dives to full ocean depth.

Ergonomics, safety, and life support
The forward and downward view through the three ultra-wide angle acrylic viewports is unobstructed by structure or appendages, and illuminated by ten externally mounted high output LED lighting panels of 20,000 lumens each. The limited direct field of view through the ports is augmented by an array of four full ocean depth capable low-light cameras. Four high definition cameras are also provided to record missions.[2]

Maneuvering is by control joystick, touch screen and manual override.[9]

The cabin is temperature and humidity controlled, and the life support system uses carbon dioxide scrubbers and oxygen replenishment. Emergency life support is rated for 96 hours[2] All routine maintenance can be done using standard tools[2] Emergency release systems are provided for the batteries, so they can be jettisoned if they fail dangerously, and for the thrusters and manipulator arm, in case they get snagged on an obstacle which could prevent the vessel from surfacing.[2]

The differences between the Gaben sub and OceanGate's "innovative" heap of poo poo are absolutely insane.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zwabu posted:

Yeah the US Navy has recovered larger objects from greater depths (fighter jet and helicopter) but without any time pressure for rescue.

Also Titan apparently doesn’t have any specifically designed strong point to hook a cable to lol.

I'm getting a little dizzy from being repeatedly extremely shocked and also totally unsurprised by the same single piece of information.

edit: I mean the lack of an anchor point.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 21, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

CLAM DOWN posted:

they're going to find the sub with everyone alive and well but there's an additional person in there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Someone on the BBC says that if reports of hearing noises in a 30 minute interval are true then it echoes advice that the old French navy diver dude on board would know about alerting rescuers.

Which is frankly loving horrifying, I genuinely wish they're all dead and died days ago because the alternatives aren't worth contemplating no matter how much those on board suck.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

lol, logitech really did take a dip at the same time the sub went missing :tinfoil:

This seems really unfair to Logitech, it doesn’t say anywhere on the controller box that you can control a deep sea improvised sub with it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

That👏 doesn’t👏 even👏 rhyme👏

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

That👏 doesn’t👏 even👏 rhyme👏

We say toodleoo crumpets and stew

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Someone posted Leslie Nielsen from creep show already right? Right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7wbszhKnU&pp=ygUwQ3JlZXAgc2hvdyBpIGNhbiBob2xkIG15IGJyZWF0aCBmb3IgYSBsb25nIHRpbWUg

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Someone on the BBC says that if reports of hearing noises in a 30 minute interval are true then it echoes advice that the old French navy diver dude on board would know about alerting rescuers.

Which is frankly loving horrifying, I genuinely wish they're all dead and died days ago because the alternatives aren't worth contemplating no matter how much those on board suck.

They’re probably on the sea floor then, right? What a way to go.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i hope the intact sub washes ashore in a few years with the mummies in just to drive home how stupid it is to have it being bolted from the outside

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Probably trading bots scraping for bad news

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah, I really hope they died in that sub 100ms implosion that was discussed earlier. Barring a successful rescue, that's 1000% the least worst outcome here. I'm not going to bat for the criminally negligent CEO, or the billionaires, but I don't want anyone involved here to die in the slow ways that are possible :(

(Ok, maybe the CEO, since it is 90% his fault, but that can't happen without the extreme suffering of the others)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Zwabu posted:

Yeah the US Navy has recovered larger objects from greater depths (fighter jet and helicopter) but without any time pressure for rescue.

“Where we’re going we don’t need tow hooks!!”

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I’d have to think they’d be knocking in an SOS pattern if it were them and they were in control of it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LMAO I just realized it looks like a suction vibrator

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

LMAO I just realized it looks like a suction vibrator

it also looks like a fleshlight

coincidence???

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’d have to think they’d be knocking in an SOS pattern if it were them and they were in control of it.

Agreed, 30 minute intervals is just lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I remember when I was a kid and me and my family were sailing from the Isle of Man down to Wales, and the weather got really poo poo.
My dad got so seasick he basically went blind and couldn't read charts anymore, and my little brother was so seasick, he went grey and stopped speaking.
We called out the lifeboat, and they came and got us, towed us to safety by attaching a line to our boat's Sampson post - towed us so fast my folks were worried they'd yank our bow under. Took me and my sibs onto the lifeboat and fed us toast and tomato soup and let my little brother sit up at a deactivated console to press buttons while they brought us all to safety.
They were all lovely people, and turned a very frightening experience into a warm and happy one.

The sea is beautiful and glorious, but it is not our friend and it does not loving care.

edit: the lack of a tow hook on the lovely sub made me think of this