Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Strange updates in the Oceangate submarine debacle coming out of a CINCLANT briefing this morning. Apparently due to the high level nature of one of the passengers on board, a SEAL team has been dispatched to assist US Search and Rescue with the efforts. The closest nearby vessel with capability to search that depth of ~4,000m was a privately owned experimental underwater drilling platform, which the SEALS had, as of yesterday, been ferried to. Their update today was that during the initial search of the Titanic resting site using underwater single-person subs and underwater drones they experienced what they could only describe as, “an abrupt loss of all power and electrical function.” They reported what appeared to be several unexpected, fast moving, small “craft or unidentified objects” within the Titanic hull. Unclear if these are possibly Russian drones, or something else entirely. Following one of these drones led to the team nearly losing the entire drilling platform off the edge of a nearby deepwater trench. They were confident the missing sub might lie at the bottom. However, sonar and electro-optical imagery of this has uncovered what they can only describe as a “brightly lit massive underwater structure.” This object lies at a depth far beyond their submersible capabilities and they now report plans to utilize a liquid based oxygen-carrying rebreather system(?) to send one man down the trench to search further and possibly make contact with the missing crew. Efforts continue and CINCLANT is confident they should have more updates tomorrow…
:five:

Oh no what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blind Rasputin posted:

Strange updates in the Oceangate submarine debacle coming out of a CINCLANT briefing this morning. Apparently due to the high level nature of one of the passengers on board, a SEAL team has been dispatched to assist US Search and Rescue with the efforts. The closest nearby vessel with capability to search that depth of ~4,000m was a privately owned experimental underwater drilling platform, which the SEALS had, as of yesterday, been ferried to. Their update today was that during the initial search of the Titanic resting site using underwater single-person subs and underwater drones they experienced what they could only describe as, “an abrupt loss of all power and electrical function.” They reported what appeared to be several unexpected, fast moving, small “craft or unidentified objects” within the Titanic hull. Unclear if these are possibly Russian drones, or something else entirely. Following one of these drones led to the team nearly losing the entire drilling platform off the edge of a nearby deepwater trench. They were confident the missing sub might lie at the bottom. However, sonar and electro-optical imagery of this has uncovered what they can only describe as a “brightly lit massive underwater structure.” This object lies at a depth far beyond their submersible capabilities and they now report plans to utilize a liquid based oxygen-carrying rebreather system(?) to send one man down the trench to search further and possibly make contact with the missing crew. Efforts continue and CINCLANT is confident they should have more updates tomorrow…

Watch out for UFOs.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://twitter.com/JackMurphyRGR/status/1671307852420349954?t=Hlt9bMNqoRgbcD8xch23Bg&s=19

Checks out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

facialimpediment posted:

Here's an alternative: https://www.promarket.org/2022/05/23/delaware-the-state-where-companies-can-vote/

It's restricted to municipal elections - I think this is a warped version of how some big cities/localities let illegal immigrants / undocumented / etc vote in local elections, though they can't vote for statewide/federal offices.

So anyone can buy as many votes as they want at $89 a pop?

https://corpfiles.delaware.gov/Augustfee2020.pdf

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'd post the full quote, but the tweet covers it, and this was the dude that stungunned Fanone

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/1671607786151505924?t=1PRxwZHSDwSwg0dc6P8vSQ&s=19

TRUMP WON I yell as I get hauled off back to prison by US Marshals

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

I'd post the full quote, but the tweet covers it, and this was the dude that stungunned Fanone

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/1671607786151505924?t=1PRxwZHSDwSwg0dc6P8vSQ&s=19

TRUMP WON I yell as I get hauled off back to prison by US Marshals

"Welp, nothing left to lose at this point, might as well look good for mein fuhrer for a potential pardon!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't care if a whole cruise ship goes dark, I am not going to breach and clear each one of those cabins.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

I don't care if a whole cruise ship goes dark, I am not going to breach and clear each one of those cabins.

Do you want an infinite number of lobstermen? Because that's how you get an infinite number of lobstermen.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Do you want an infinite number of lobstermen? Because that's how you get an infinite number of lobstermen.

That's what anti-ship missiles are for.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Rasputin posted:

:golfclap:

The term you're looking for is "fluid breathing apparatus" or Total Liquid Ventilator (TLV) system btw

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
So have they scrambled XCOM yet or what

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

armpit_enjoyer posted:

So have they scrambled XCOM yet or what

XCOM doesn't exist.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kesper North posted:

:golfclap:

The term you're looking for is "fluid breathing apparatus" or Total Liquid Ventilator (TLV) system btw

A “hyperbaricly oxygenated saline solution”

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I go to bed and the story is "wealthy assholes likely dead while rubbernecking mass grave in extremely sketchy homebrew sub". I wake up and the story is "X-Files plot twist".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

XCOM doesn't exist.

:nsa:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If I got this kind of headline approved I'd just knock off early for the day and go out for beers.

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/spare-relationship-causes-awkward-split/article_fb8f6ae4-0fbc-11ee-8ecf-ff57d9685d28.html

quote:

Spare relationship causes awkward split

SFA assistant bowling coach out after affair with athlete

By NATHAN HAGUE/The Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MrMojok posted:

A “hyperbaricly oxygenated saline solution”

it's not saline at all, it's perfluorohexane, a hydrocarbon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know nothing at all about it. I think that was what one of the SEALs told Hippy it was, in the film.

Right before he put Hippy’s rat in it.

I’m sure it was just Hollywood gibberish.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

If I got this kind of headline approved I'd just knock off early for the day and go out for beers.

https://lufkindailynews.com/news/community/spare-relationship-causes-awkward-split/article_fb8f6ae4-0fbc-11ee-8ecf-ff57d9685d28.html

That dude was waiting for this moment in life. He has peaked.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Arrath posted:

That’s the plot of Resident Evil Gaiden.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I know nothing at all about it. I think that was what one of the SEALs told Hippy it was, in the film.

Right before he put Hippy’s rat in it.

I’m sure it was just Hollywood gibberish.

No that fluid is real. They actually submerged the rat in the legit fluid, Ed Harris just had a layer in the helmet that could fill up to look like the helmet was filling. The problem with it is due to the higher density of the fluid, it doesn't allow for adequate carbon dioxide exchange. Oxygen will be provided, but not enough CO2 will be removed.

Ultimately while it's cool in theory for super deep diving, stuff like the middle ear would still be an air pocket. It's also theorized that a human being can only sustain 100 atmospheres (~990m of depth) of pressure before we stop working. The pressure causes our cell walls to become so hard they stop working. Seeing as how we've never put someone in a chamber that pressurized, who knows. The "deepest" chamber dive was to 701m (~71.1 atmospheres), they had to cut the breathing gas with hydrogen so it wouldn't be too dense to breathe, and napkin math tells me they had to lean out the oxygen to approximately 2% to avoid oxygen toxicity.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's about to be a WHAT? GIRL CHUD FIIIIIGHT!

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1671632378790379525?t=Wpe7rNdZkNJk4i20fQMfLg&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just found out the wife of the groversub's owner gelatinous cube is a descendant of two passengers who died on the Titanic back in 1912.

It's time for The Onion to bring back the "Report: Make It Stop" headline, because I just don't even know any more.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Jack Hanna has Alzheimers, that sucks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just found out the wife of the groversub's owner gelatinous cube is a descendant of two passengers who died on the Titanic back in 1912.

It's time for The Onion to bring back the "Report: Make It Stop" headline, because I just don't even know any more.

Incredible.

Changing my theory to "insanely elaborate suicide".

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Been meaning to post this.

Here in Ohio, last month enough signatures were collected to put a constitutional amendment to legalize abortion on the November ballot. I was cautiously optimistic of it passing.

In response, the Republican controlled state assembly called for an August special election (so most people don't bother voting, because it's loving August) on a constitutional amendment requiring constitutional amendments to pass with 60% of the vote instead of the current majority.

Which is curious because in April the Republican controlled state assembly passed, and the governor signed, a law banning most August special elections because of the low voter turnout and how expensive they are.

So the State Supreme Court was sued and they decided 4-3 that the state constitution grants the legislature power to call elections and that overrides their own law limiting the election.

Just the worst loving people.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
A local Korean restaurant posted this earlier:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1671663225824485377

Kevin McCarthy having to have 15 votes to be confirmed as Speaker and his cute fist-bump celebration afterward only to result in "The house will be in order..." in disappointed dad voice is just :discourse:.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Our country is run by children. Film at 11.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1671679029072543745

livvy rizzed up baby gronk

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1671663225824485377

Kevin McCarthy having to have 15 votes to be confirmed as Speaker and his cute fist-bump celebration afterward only to result in "The house will be in order..." in disappointed dad voice is just :discourse:.

What are they chanting?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What are they chanting?

"Shame!"

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The dumb thing about that censure of Adam Schiff because of Russia and ???? is that it basically guarantees him Feinstein's Senate seat. He should be thanking the gently caress out of the Republicans for censuring him because the California Senate race is all going to be about the primary.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

In non sub news, I can't stop laughing at this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/marjorie-taylor-greene-lauren-boebert-little-bitch-house-floor-meltdown-1234775911/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Our country is run by children. Film at 11.

not remotely fair to children

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
children tend to act better

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yes, eat each other's faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Some of that Small Government Party in action:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/texas-gov-greg-abbott-ends-water-breaks-for-construction-workers-amid-heat-wave