Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Which I guess makes sense, I went on the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride as a kid and spent the whole time convinced we were gonna die and that thing never actually submerged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
If you do subs, you'll go to hell before you die... Please.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

You know what else is awful, deciding that in a last-ditch effort to survive you have to do something horrendous like drink piss, kill and/or eat another passenger, break your limbs or Aaron Ralston an appendage-- and then instead of a harrowing ordeal you can recount on speaking tours, you never get rescued and are just a corpse that spent their last hours eating poop

:lmao: gently caress, I didn't see it until you quoted it. I was trying to figure out how to do something similar :golfclap:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

subs over dubs debate getting a little out of hand

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

gonna get a sub for dinner, to honor the fallen

by the way, mods, can we call this Groversub instead of Groversubmersible? sounds better to my ear, anyway.

i guess Groversubmersible is kinda funny too in how unwieldy it is

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pookah posted:

It worked a total of three times - a 75% safety rate is good, yeah?

I forget if I read it here or where, but someone said carbon fiber is only rated to go under that much pressure for no more than 3 times before its vulnerable to failure.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

quote:

The passengers may have “run into some bad luck,”

Yeah no loving poo poo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pookah posted:

There are at this point, dozens of absolute WTF design choices that even a total ignoramus like me can spot, but why the HELL IS IT WHITE?
Paint it day-glo orange like a liferaft and you might actually have a chance, and it costs basically nothing extra .

Most research DSVs seem to be white? Probably helps with visibility during normal operation and recovery? Since like normally you have a team of divers helping secure the thing (to some crane cables in a professional operation, to their half-baked launch and recovery platform for Groversub). Orange and red don't show up well under water.

OTOH a real DSV has like half a dozen other helpful safety mechanisms.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm just saying that if they can get a detailed 3D sonar image of approximately where the submersible is/was, then they'd really be able to tell, generally, what happened, and whether or not they even need to bother rushing to try and get it.

Though I guess after tomorrow at 7am, it won't matter at all.

To get high-detail side-scan sonar pictures that would show something as small as Groversub, it doesn't have really long range. So to look at the deep sea floor you have to have a robo-sub that is way down, attached by cables to a boat. And you have to motor slowly back and forth in long lines to build up the picture.

tl;dr everyone would be long dead long before imaging sonar could find them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I forget if I read it here or where, but someone said carbon fiber is only rated to go under that much pressure for no more than 3 times before its vulnerable to failure.
Apparently the CEO was willing to take that bet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The sub was made of cabrón fiber.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bad Purchase posted:

gonna get a sub for dinner, to honor the fallen

by the way, mods, can we call this Groversub instead of Groversubmersible? sounds better to my ear, anyway.

i guess Groversubmersible is kinda funny too in how unwieldy it is

Because it's a submersible, which is different from a sub(marine). A submersible needs an exterior support vehicle in order to survive and/or resurface. Another brilliant design element from the company.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I got to hang out out in a hyperbaric chamber for a few minutes for work today, which is approximately 1.5 times as big as the sub and it was exceptionally awful, even knowing I could get out at any second.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
2-for-1 day at my local Subway. Probably unrelated but it made me laugh.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CSM posted:

And a lot of piss in the piss jug.

way of the ocean, bubs

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Platystemon posted:

The sub was made of cabrón fiber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWd1a5U3vE

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hazo posted:

Because it's a submersible, which is different from a sub(marine). A submersible needs an exterior support vehicle in order to survive and/or resurface. Another brilliant design element from the company.

sub is also a prefix of the word submersible and could be used as such in a variety of portmanteaus, hth

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Bad Purchase posted:

sub is also a prefix of the word submersible and could be used as such in a variety of portmanteaus, hth

like -sandwich? I 'm onboard!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Plan R posted:

My fave meme ever needs an update

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Plan R posted:

Subway's crispy chicken isn't amazing, but you'll feel that extra crunch for a lot less than $250K

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Is there a handy checklist of all the poo poo that they did wrong with this vessel/trip? Having to explain why I'm not grieving for the dying/dead billionaires/idiots is getting exhausting

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

pig labeled 3 posted:

Subway's crispy chicken isn't amazing, but you'll feel that extra crunch for a lot less than $250K

:drat:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Bad Purchase posted:

yea like submersible sandwich

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently the CEO was willing to take that bet

Someone posted a clip of the CEO saying something like "We broke all the rules. They said there was a rule against using a carbon fibre hull, well we broke that rule."

So yes he literally did take that bet.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'm still laughing at sticking the shitter and piss bottle in the same place as the only window.

Wanna look out of the only window? Huff it up, baby.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Black Sunshine posted:

Is there a handy checklist of all the poo poo that they did wrong with this vessel/trip? Having to explain why I'm not grieving for the dying/dead billionaires/idiots is getting exhausting

"Billionaires dying" is really all the explanation you need.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

yea like submersible sandwich

we are of like mind op

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Further Reading posted:

Someone posted a clip of the CEO saying something like "We broke all the rules. They said there was a rule against using a carbon fibre hull, well we broke that rule."

O, sir, to wilful men,
The injuries that they themselves procure
Must be their schoolmasters.

Not a day going by in 2023 that the above hasn't floated to mind. The age of finding out.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 21, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
How many layers of irony is this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/21/us/wendy-stockton-rush-titanic-missing-submersible.html

June 21, 2023, 5:56 p.m. ET

Anushka Patil

The submersible pilot’s spouse is descended from a famous couple who died on the Titanic.

Wendy Rush, the wife of Stockton Rush, the OceanGate chief executive who was piloting the submersible that disappeared Sunday during a dive to the Titanic wreckage, is a descendant of two first-class passengers who died when the ocean liner sank in 1912, archival records show.

Ms. Rush is a great-great-granddaughter of the retailing magnate Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida, two of the wealthiest people aboard the Titanic for its first voyage. Mr. Straus, born in 1845, was a co-owner of Macy’s department store.

Ms. Rush, born Wendy Hollings Weil, married Stockton Rush in 1986, according to a New York Times wedding announcement. Her LinkedIn page says that she has participated in three OceanGate expeditions to the Titanic wreckage in the last two years; that she serves as the company’s communications director; and that she is a longtime board member of the company’s charitable foundation.

Ms. Rush could not immediately be reached for comment for this item.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I went to Subway for lunch and had their new sub sandwich, the (Turkey) Titan. No idea if the bread was made of carbon fiber, though

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Further Reading posted:

Don't forget that video of him doing some promo piece where the interviewer is like "The people who designed the Titanic thought it was invincible too" and he goes, "Sure, but we're so smart that we're super duper sure OUR submersible is ACTUALLY invincible!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boat Stuck posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/21/us/wendy-stockton-rush-titanic-missing-submersible.html

Anushka Patil

The submersible pilot’s spouse is descended from a famous couple who died on the Titanic.

Wendy Rush, the wife of Stockton Rush, the OceanGate chief executive who was piloting the submersible that disappeared Sunday during a dive to the Titanic wreckage, is a descendant of two first-class passengers who died when the ocean liner sank in 1912, archival records show.

Ms. Rush is a great-great-granddaughter of the retailing magnate Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida, two of the wealthiest people aboard the Titanic for its first voyage. Mr. Straus, born in 1845, was a co-owner of Macy’s department store.

Ms. Rush, born Wendy Hollings Weil, married Stockton Rush in 1986, according to a New York Times wedding announcement. Her LinkedIn page says that she has participated in three OceanGate expeditions to the Titanic wreckage in the last two years; that she serves as the company’s communications director; and that she is a longtime board member of the company’s charitable foundation.

So what you're saying is that it was this man's destiny to get owned

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Boat Stuck posted:

Anushka Patil

The writers are phoning this in at this point

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ShredsYouSay posted:

That Former Passenger posted:

Loibl went on to describe the cramped conditions of the vessel, saying, “There is no seat, you cannot stand, you cannot kneel, you only sit for 10 and a half hours.

Christ, even a completely successful trip sounds like an absolute nightmare.

For their sake, I hope they imploded long ago, and at a low depth because it would Iikely be near-instant. If not, :gonk: from just imagining the hell that they all experienced once they realized they're not coming back. I don't know if I'd rather be trapped there or in space but either way, jfc

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

FlamingLiberal posted:

So what you're saying is that it was this man's destiny to get owned

Jeepers, the boat still got 'em a century later!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Boat Stuck posted:

Anushka Patil

gently caress's sake.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The writers are phoning this in at this point

Lol scripted as hell.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Hazo posted:

I don't think that's really a significant design flaw (there are plenty of others, don't get me wrong)--I think pretty much everything that goes down to that depth is technically a submersible. Even Limiting Factor, which cost $37 million and is regularly brought up in this thread as the way to do it, is technically a submersible.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If it didn't implode and they are stuck on some of the titanics wreckage...

As the hours go by imagine the arguing

The 19 year old, is his father in there too? Does the father kill the owner because his hubris has killed his son?

I dont see why not?

I can see the other men screaming about the oxygen use while the battle rages on

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Christ, even a completely successful trip sounds like an absolute nightmare.

A successful trip costs $250,000 to get into that thing and descend for three hours before the stupid thing stumbles around in the dark for a few more hours with a roughly 25% success rate of actually finding the Titanic and even when they do you only get to spend 30 minutes looking at it, then you enjoy the next three hours surfacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Boat Stuck posted:

Anushka Patil

That’s like some Shining level poo poo.

The malevolent ghosts of the Titanic calling descendants back to the wreckage to die. But making them poo poo in a bucket for three days first.