Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This Fox Broadcast of the Belmont Stakes feels... Rough? Like really rough. It technically feels awkward as hell, the tone is super weird and I'm honestly wondering if some people aren't just TV drunk but drunk rear end drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/yankees/status/1668018868034363394?s=46

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

J33uk posted:

This Fox Broadcast of the Belmont Stakes feels... Rough? Like really rough. It technically feels awkward as hell, the tone is super weird and I'm honestly wondering if some people aren't just TV drunk but drunk rear end drunk.

What the gently caress is this sound mixing

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1667671300687671296?s=46

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It reminded me of when FOX had the US Open golf tournament. Just terribly unprepared. The broadcast team was professionals who knew nothing about horse racing and a couple horse racing people who looked scared to death to be in front of a camera. The on-track lady was clearly just some news woman delivering every bit of information like it was a local robbery or something. Almost anything you could deem as "event specific knowledge" seemed like it was being read from a prompter. The only person who seemed comfortable AND knowledgeable was Chris "Bear" Fallica.

It was atrociously bad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

It reminded me of when FOX had the US Open golf tournament. Just terribly unprepared. The broadcast team was professionals who knew nothing about horse racing and a couple horse racing people who looked scared to death to be in front of a camera. The on-track lady was clearly just some news woman delivering every bit of information like it was a local robbery or something. Almost anything you could deem as "event specific knowledge" seemed like it was being read from a prompter. The only person who seemed comfortable AND knowledgeable was Chris "Bear" Fallica.

It was atrociously bad.

https://deadspin.com/fox-u-s-open-broadcast-features-two-dudes-talkin-about-1826869637

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We are not even 24 hours past the Nuggets winning the NBA championship and ESPN is still making GBS threads on them

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1668642444404207617?s=46

The facial expressions from JJ are pretty great though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure for Chris Russo, the NBA folded in 1990

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
ESPN probably wants the league to be the same size as it was in 1960

Boston
Philly
Syracuse (Change to Miami)
NYC
St. Louis (Change to San Francisco)
LA
Detroit
Cincinnati (Change to Chicago)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s kind of a running joke on the LeBatard Show for them to cover Mad Dog’s appearances on First Take because it’s always some version of ‘player x today couldn’t hold Bill Russell’s jock strap’

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Island Nation posted:

ESPN probably wants the league to be the same size as it was in 1960

Boston
Philly
Syracuse (Change to Miami)
NYC
St. Louis (Change to San Francisco)
LA
Detroit
Cincinnati (Change to Chicago)

No need to move Syracuse to Miami. We still have the same arena the Nationals played in. Banners and everything still hanging from the rafters.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

If ESPN had their way there'd be a team for every state in New England so they wouldn't have to travel ever again to cover sports

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The American Dream posted:

No need to move Syracuse to Miami. We still have the same arena the Nationals played in. Banners and everything still hanging from the rafters.

Plus it's convenient for all their on air talent who went to Cuse.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The only way Syracuse is getting a professional team in any league is if a hydrogen bomb turned it into a smoldering crater and someone felt guilty about it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Forrest on Fire posted:

If ESPN had their way there'd be a team for every state in New England so they wouldn't have to travel ever again to cover sports

The Hartford Whalers

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Island Nation posted:

The only way Syracuse is getting a professional team in any league is if a hydrogen bomb turned it into a smoldering crater and someone felt guilty about it.

I think it is the other way 'round.

Syracuse is one of the largest surviving population centers for the Restored United States of America 45 years after A-Day when society finally stabilizes enough.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

AsInHowe posted:

The Hartford Whalers

I'm convinced Disney would've bought the Whalers had they not owned the Mighty Ducks at the time. Rowland trying to woo the Patriots instead of keeping the NHL in Hartford is a error that Connecticut won't be able to repair.

Sash! posted:

I think it is the other way 'round.

Syracuse is one of the largest surviving population centers for the Restored United States of America 45 years after A-Day when society finally stabilizes enough.

*Looks up reference* The Postman? If the best we have is a school that gave Bob Costas a diploma, we are undeniably screwed.

Also, Field of Dreams is a awful movie.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 18, 2023

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
where the gently caress is Syracuse?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

43° 2′ 49″ N, 76° 8′ 40″ W

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sicily

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Orangemen is off the chart racist imo

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bip Roberts posted:

Orangemen is off the chart racist imo

Lol. It's a fascist, genocidaire moniker.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Island Nation posted:

*Looks up reference* The Postman? If the best we have is a school that gave Bob Costas a diploma, we are undeniably screwed.

Ha, I forgot that's what they called the post-apocalyptic America in that movie.

Or you could take The Expanse as your model and Syracuse is huge because it is is 400 feet above sea level, protected by the Berkshires, and have the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario as freshwater sources making it one of the places the North East Corridor fled to.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I've only finished Leviathan Wakes, stopped Caliban's War halfway thru and never watched the TV series so that makes less sense.

The point is the NBA media are only interested in teams in a city that they want to go to. They don't want Sacramento, Salt Lake City or Milwaukee if they can help it. The same with most players. Any city that is considered sexy are in and all others are out and most are the latter. I would say professionally tourism is the main metric but the actual reason is actually one's libido.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/1671518982946320386

ted leonsis did buy the channel last year, and this reflects that

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1671586511215632388?s=46

how dead is espn radio

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m thinking Disney is trimming the fat at ESPN looking to sell it or spin it off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I’m thinking Disney is trimming the fat at ESPN looking to sell it or spin it off.
That may be the case, but as far as I know it should still be earning enough money because live sports are a big business.

It sure seems like they are going to get rid of ESPN Radio almost entirely. My assumption is that they hired McAfee for the video stuff he does and not the audio.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Nasty stuff

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1671649176852078592?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really don't know how so many people listen to that kind of stuff all the time

It's always some inane debate, every day, until the end of time

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

I can't believe that anything of value is being lost here.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The one thing I can say about this show is the commercials I hear during Lakers games are a lot less offensive than when they were Cowherd commercials. I never listened though.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That may be the case, but as far as I know it should still be earning enough money because live sports are a big business.
Last I saw (end of 2021), ESPN had just lost 8m subscribers worth of carriage fees as cordcutting continued. Assuming the rumored $7.65/subscriber/month figure is true, that loss is a hair under $750m a year.

That's hard as hell to offset.

Fakeedit: looks like 2022 numbers had them down an additional 2m subscribers, another $183m/yr. That's nearly a billion in annual revenue over the last two years. Knew it was bad but, poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't know how so many people listen to that kind of stuff all the time

It's always some inane debate, every day, until the end of time

The only sports "analysis" I listen to is the half heard parts of half time during football games or hockey intermissions, and portions of that are obscured by important tasks like going to the bathroom, getting snacks, playing with a cat, talking to other people, etc. I find this improves my life greatly.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its stupid and I dunno who wants to listen to it but I've had dumb sports debates with my friends and its fun so if I could get paid big money to do it on TV every day you better believe I'm taking notes like my life depends on it in that class

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AA has a neat little read about how Max Kellerman keeps winding up as the odd man out at ESPN.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's weird that this article doesn't seem to realize that being a replacement level inning eater on a format that already exists to plaster between real content is really damning.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

It's weird that this article doesn't seem to realize that being a replacement level inning eater on a format that already exists to plaster between real content is really damning.

If your job was to write about the filler content would you openly acknowledge the meaninglessness of the role

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bip Roberts posted:

Live sports are the engine that drives places like ESPN and FS1 but the inning eating as you say is actually the real content in a lot of ways. There’s a lot of empty time that must be filled with takes

I actually have always had a soft spot for Kellerman. He was the guy on ATH that got me hooked watching. I am a freak and like boxing and he’s a boxing guy.

I think it’s funny how espn is min/maxing when it comes to cost reduction.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Kellerman and Kenny on ESPN Radio NYC was one of my favorite radio shows of all time and by far the best ESPN Radio show I ever heard. Worst was obviously the Mike Tirico Show, just insanely
boring. They eventually brought Michelle Tafoya on to try and save it but she could only help so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

soggybagel posted:

Live sports are the engine that drives places like ESPN and FS1 but the inning eating as you say is actually the real content in a lot of ways. There’s a lot of empty time that must be filled with takes

I actually have always had a soft spot for Kellerman. He was the guy on ATH that got me hooked watching. I am a freak and like boxing and he’s a boxing guy.

I think it’s funny how espn is min/maxing when it comes to cost reduction.

The problem ESPN has now, I believe, is that they are trying to serve two masters - the cable/satellite industry and the direct-to-consumer business. Them pumping up ESPN+ has led to the atrophying of original programming on linear television. On any given weekday, it seems 18 hours of ESPN2 is what ESPN was airing an hour earlier.