Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wemgo posted:

I dont play diablo for the campaign (its okay if you do) but i do appreciate the fact the campaign isnt offensively bad like d3’s.

I prefer Diablo 3s story. It had far more memorable moments. The fart boss, the huge dead dudes spiked to walls as you go down to the spider chick, the spinning skeletal king, the dude in the barrel, the kid who was Mephisto. The huge hell war.

And it had, you know, loving Diablo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Jaytan posted:

This criticism is valid, but I think it points more to an issue with the hoarding mentality that harvesting legendaries encourages. It’s hard for me to imagine them putting the toothpaste back in the tube on this one so I think the best choice is to just expand the codex with every aspect you’ve seen, and let players keep spares there. For me the most pain when I was hoarding aspects was it was really hard to even identify what I already had.

Having an in game reference for all aspects available, as well as a repository for the ones you’ve collected would be a big qol improvement.

Agreed, Division 2’s recalibration library is one of the best instances of this I’ve seen. It keeps you farming gear and materials till you get perfect rolls of everything in the library and makes experimenting with gear fairly painless.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the character i play most of the time is a twisting blades rogue but i'm completely off meta and still crushing. i've read hundreds of pages of this thread and i think what people should do is stop talking about diablo 4 and instead play diablo 4. if lilith was real i would stick out my tongue and go like balalalala on her butthole until she screamed.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

On aspects: do they have a set item power? Like if I find an aspect that rolled near max at level 40 or so and extract it, will it stay at its level 40 numbers or will it match the level of the item it's eventually imprinted on?

Other people have already answered this but another thing to note is that aspect values sometimes get a bonus for being put in a certain gear slot. This will be listed on the aspect itself once you've extracted it. For example, a lot of aspects have their values straight up doubled if you put them on a 2H weapon, or increased by 50% on a ring or amulet. I think this only applies to extracted aspects and not codex aspects, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also i use all kinds of hosed up lovely aspects all the time

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there a good place to find builds? Thankfully the internet loving sucks now and it's all clickbait scam poo poo all the way down on google.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Asproigerosis posted:

Is there a good place to find builds? Thankfully the internet loving sucks now and it's all clickbait scam poo poo all the way down on google.

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

the character i play most of the time is a twisting blades rogue but i'm completely off meta and still crushing. i've read hundreds of pages of this thread and i think what people should do is stop talking about diablo 4 and instead play diablo 4. if lilith was real i would stick out my tongue and go like balalalala on her butthole until she screamed.

What makes a build non meta if it's using the main damage skill 90% of players are using? If I swap a passive point am I no longer meta? Swap one skill? I am a deathtrap rogue that uses flurry instead but I feel like I'm basically meta.

Oh boy, meta no longer sounds like a real word in my head. Semantic satiation achieved.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Using a skill isn't a build. hth

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

note that apparently maxroll's druid guy really sucks and you shouldn't pay attention to anything he has to say. that's what I've heard, anyway.
edit: talking about Teo, since I see they have builds up by more than just him in the druid section

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

American McGay posted:

Using a skill isn't a build. hth

No it does not. It actually doesn't explain anything at all.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I'd had a pretty flawless experience with this game on PS5 since launch (poor people launch, not the four day early one) but recently it's frozen on me the times in the last two days. I'm scared of doing anything with my HC character at the moment for fear of losing them to a bug

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Vulpes posted:

Don't extract, just stick the legendary in your stash - it takes up a slot either way but you save the extract cost if you end up finding a better roll before you use it.

Yeah that's a fair point. I think it's neater to just have the aspect instead of the clutter of various gear items, but that's down to preference. I almost only extract near perfect rolls anyway, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

No it does not. It actually doesn't explain anything at all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How does the Terrence Malick film Tree of Life relate to Diablo 4?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Baps posted:

note that apparently maxroll's druid guy really sucks and you shouldn't pay attention to anything he has to say. that's what I've heard, anyway.
edit: talking about Teo, since I see they have builds up by more than just him in the druid section

I tried maxroll's Shred build and it was pretty bad, but most importantly, super insanely boring.

Lightning, baby! Make your friends not be able to see poo poo!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What's gonna happen when my seasonal character with a full stash turns eternal and has to share the full stash I already have

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Finished the game.

I liked it.

Liked the game kept it's tone from start to end.

I'd love to see Diablo go deeper into horror in the future.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

flashman posted:

What's gonna happen when my seasonal character with a full stash turns eternal and has to share the full stash I already have

In D3 they mail you your stuff and you have 30 days to navigate the sorting nightmare before it auto-deletes. Realistically you roll for the next season and don't care and it rots. Double realistically there's good odds they forgot to put that system in D4.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

Yeah this is exactly why I'm scorched earth on my stash. The only thing I'm hoarding is good rolls for my current build, otherwise it's all irrelevant once the seasons start.

Loot is ephemeral give in and salvage

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

No way Jose I change my build up a bunch of times already

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I looked at the twisting blades build for endgame since that’s the core skill I’m using, went “gee this looks really stupid” and closed out.

I think understanding offensive/defensive mechanics and how to maximize your output is how you play better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang, I have a friend staying with me for a few weeks. Can you couch coop this on PC? Articles I'm reading say "probably not" but they're all old and seem kind of non-definitive :\

edit: hey I'm 39 in 2023

credburn fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 22, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
How do shadow corpse explosion necros do end-game? I’m using what might be an off-brand setup with level 1 blight as my main attack with CE, tendrils, and army of dead ult. Reapers & bone golem for corpses & ice mages for essence gen. Golem taunt + tendrils + stun/slow passives for CC, and I got a legendary with an essence that turns blight into a fast CC aoe pull. I’m absolutely obliterating basic wt3 to finish up quests and such, but does it hold up for later stuff?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Doomykins posted:

If you find an aspect it will extract at that power. I.e. 10-40 and you find a 37, you'll extract a 37.

If you pull it from the book on a 10-40 you'll always get the 10. Finding items has greater value, the codex guarantees you have access to it if your build wants it to function.

this is true for most of them. there are some, specifically at least the one where you get a barrier when you fight an elite, that snakes with character level. so if you extract a max roll one at 45 and gives you a 1K barrier, in 5-10 levels, the min roll from the codex will be like 1500 and drops can roll up to like 2 K. i hope finding that info, and being able to tell which ones are drop only more easily, can be added somehow

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I have a friend staying with me for a few weeks. Can you couch coop this on PC? Articles I'm reading say "probably not" but they're all old and seem kind of non-definitive :\

edit: hey I'm 39 in 2023

Couch co-op is for consoles only.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

credburn posted:

Definitively no, couch co op is currently console only. If you want to play with your friend on PC they have to bring their laptop like it's 2000 and you're having a LAN party.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I really wish there was a way to make blizzard games launch from their desktop icons instead of taking you to the launcher, even if the launcher is already open

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm in some mines on some storytelling bullshit and I can't survive against what that storyline character ressurects...do I just need to level up or am I some Barb underpowered bs? I'm level 16.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Put it on World Tier 1 for awhile

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Gatts posted:

I'm in some mines on some storytelling bullshit and I can't survive against what that storyline character ressurects...do I just need to level up or am I some Barb underpowered bs? I'm level 16.

I just went through the story as a barb and had 0 issues but I was A) on wt1 and B) using the standard levelling guide on icy veins. Also C) got the most important legendary aspect on an amulet that I then never replaced.

Edit: Unrelated but I am having a lot more fun on my barb than I did on rogue and necro. Necro a little too easy, rogue a bit too much power locked into imbued piercing shot which I whiffed so many times because controller aiming sucks. Barb is just right.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 22, 2023

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Failboattootoot posted:

I just went through the story as a barb and had 0 issues but I was A) on wt1 and B) using the standard levelling guide on icy veins. Also C) got the most important legendary aspect on an amulet that I then never replaced.

I'm on WT 2 and have no legendary and I have a couple rares and gently caress I guess I have to level up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I should clarify that it was the most important legendary for hota (the one that makes it's aoe a lot bigger). What level are you? Legendaries didn't really start showing up for me until about level 30, although I did get a couple that seem story guaranteed beforehand.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gatts posted:

You might have goofy skill setups or be missing a mechanic or something, the first time I had an issue with anything was at the end of act 3 wt2 and a little leveling to polish up my build fixed it. Also everything carries through to the next wt including quest progress and such so just do it on wt1 if you can’t get the build to work well early on

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Black Griffon posted:

Extract high-roll aspects you might want to use later (but don't extract just for the sake of it), salvage old stuff. No reason to save things that deprecate in power.

Thanks!

How do I extract aspects?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Noam Chomsky posted:

Thanks!

How do I extract aspects?

Extraction guy with the triangly shape in major cities

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I looked at the twisting blades build for endgame since that’s the core skill I’m using, went “gee this looks really stupid” and closed out.

I think understanding offensive/defensive mechanics and how to maximize your output is how you play better.

Neither maxroll nor icyveins put much effort in the Necro build guides I looked at. They’re very simplistic and don’t actually have any real analysis or discussion. I’ve seen better build discussion in forum posts. With all the fuss about how they needed super early access to put this stuff together I was expecting better.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 22, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Gatts posted:

I'm on WT 2 and have no legendary and I have a couple rares and gently caress I guess I have to level up.

Monsters scale with your level but you will get ahead of the curve with access to ultimates, key passives, and more points to get more synergy with your other skill passives.

If your weapons are really old like -5 levels then more green number will make a big difference too. If all else fails hit WT1 and do some side quests/exploration for renown, level 2 in each reason buffs your potion cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

hello internet posted:

I really wish there was a way to make blizzard games launch from their desktop icons instead of taking you to the launcher, even if the launcher is already open

Adding the command line argument --exec="launch Fen" to the desktop icon shortcut should launch the game from the icon if BNet is already open.

This also works in similar contexts like adding the shortcut to Steam to launch as a non-Steam game if you want to do that for some reason.