Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Three Olives posted:

He is old enough to be complicit in the evil stuff that his father was doing to pay for the trip.

:hmmno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Given that a Elon is already mad at Snopes for using that tweet to confirm that Starlink was providing them internet, I think that’s wise.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Technology is really hosed because I did think of firing up we must go deeper during this whole thing.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Danaru posted:

I might be thinking of a different submarine murder case (:shepface:) but IIRC a goon helped build that sub and posted about it a few years before it was involved with a murder

Yup

Three Olives posted:

He is old enough to be complicit in the evil stuff that his father was doing to pay for the trip.

:goofy:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Snowy posted:

Has anyone shopped this into a krylon can yet?

Because it looks like a krylon can

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

ok........ starting to understand the appeal to this story lmao

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

ok........ starting to understand the appeal to this story lmao

"reinforced controller"
Yeah we 3d printed some uncomfortable pointy analog stick covers for this wireless logitech and called it a day.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Steve Yun posted:

Running list of red flags:
- Carbon fiber hull
- porthole that was only rated to 1400m
- bolted from the outside
- construction pipe ballast hanging on s hooks
- rock the boat ballast release system
- Logitech controller
- insufficient oxygen scrubbers
- bed pan
- electronics system randomly resetting
- uncomfortable seating arrangement

Anything else?

Hoist by this CEO retard indeed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's not a playstation controller, it's a little brother controller.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure their hearts can go on any longer

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bless you

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hazo posted:

Don't forget that video of him doing some promo piece where the interviewer is like "The people who designed the Titanic thought it was invincible too" and he goes, "Sure, but we're so smart that we're super duper sure OUR submersible is ACTUALLY invincible!"

It’s like poetry it rhymes

naem
May 29, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Koirhor posted:

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Running list of red flags:
- Carbon fiber hull
- porthole that was only rated to 1400m
- bolted from the outside
- construction pipe ballast hanging on s hooks
- rock the boat ballast release system
- Logitech controller
- insufficient oxygen scrubbers
- bed pan
- electronics system randomly resetting
- uncomfortable seating arrangement

Anything else?

Oceangate was sent a letter from industry experts warning about defects and design flaws.

quote:

This letter is sent on behalf of our industry members who have collectively expressed unanimous concern regarding the development of TITAN and the planned Titanic Expedition. Our apprehension is
that the current experimental approach adopted by Oceangate could result in negative outcomes (from minor to catastrophic) that would have serious consequences for everyone in the industry.

quote:

Your marketing material advertises that the TITAN design will meet or exceed the DNV-GL safety standards, yet it does not appear that Oceangate has the intention of following DNV- GL class rules. Your representation is, at minimum, misleading to the public and breaches an industry- wide professional code of conduct we all endeavor to uphold.
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/marine-technology-society-committee-2018-letter-to-ocean-gate/eddb63615a7b3764/full.pdf

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo like this really makes it seem miserable to be a billionaire. I wouldn't even be that cheap for a controller for my actual playstation. what's the point of having all that money if you don't want to spend it, even on things which, if they go wrong, will literally kill you and everyone with you? it's just completely unfathomable to me

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Anyone have the link to the hours of air countdown again? tia

Edit: thanks!

Fake James fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 22, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Fake James posted:

Anyone have the link to the hours of air countdown again? tia

https://countingdownto.com/?c=4833297

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
well time to get ready for bed in my large room full of fresh air, see you all in 8 hours

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Fansy posted:

well time to get ready for bed in my large room full of fresh air, see you all in 8 hours

Make sure to sleep crisscross applesauce

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Is this the new updated time?

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

btw did anything say how long they actually planned on being down there

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is this the new updated time?

Yes that's based on the coastguard estimate saying 7:08am EST.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Raiad posted:

btw did anything say how long they actually planned on being down there

6-8 hour round trip, 30 minutes of which was at the titanic. (I think)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I did some back of the napkin math assuming the sub holds 2.5 meters of air which gave them roughly 6 hours past the life of the scrubbers before they die of hypoxia. I'd say for certain that if another 16 hours elapses before the sub is recovered and uncapped, they're definitely 100% dead of hypoxia, assuming no other scenario occurred like implosion or windows failure leading to instanteous drowning/crushing.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

Make sure to sleep crisscross applesauce

I do this in bed sometimes and my cat will sleep in the space between my legs :3

And I can just unfold my legs whenever I want while watching videos of the 3D scan of the titanic on YouTube

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I did some back of the napkin math assuming the sub holds 2.5 meters of air which gave them roughly 6 hours past the life of the scrubbers before they die of hypoxia. I'd say for certain that if another 16 hours elapses before the sub is recovered and uncapped, they're definitely 100% dead of hypoxia, assuming no other scenario occurred like implosion or windows failure leading to instanteous drowning/crushing.

They'll be long dead by 16hrs. That's way past current air supply estimates.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/EuphoriTori/status/1671671959216635904

Guys, I found out why the submarine broke. It went woke!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I do this in bed sometimes and my cat will sleep in the space between my legs :3

And I can just unfold my legs whenever I want while watching videos of the 3D scan of the titanic on YouTube

My old kitty used to do that, I'd lay with my legs in an O shape and she'd just make a nest. :cry:
But yes do stretch out when needed, enjoy the luxury of land.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

teemolover42069 posted:

poo poo like this really makes it seem miserable to be a billionaire. I wouldn't even be that cheap for a controller for my actual playstation. what's the point of having all that money if you don't want to spend it, even on things which, if they go wrong, will literally kill you and everyone with you? it's just completely unfathomable to me

people of all means do dumb stuff for thrills. the 1/.1% just have better reach.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Further Reading posted:

6-8 hour round trip, 30 minutes of which was at the titanic. (I think)

I don’t care if Leonardo DiCaprio tossed my salad once we got to the wreckage. NOTHING could be worth getting crammed in that loving thing with those loving assholes for 8 hours.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/EuphoriTori/status/1671671959216635904

Guys, I found out why the submarine broke. It went woke!

Why are people like this, there's 3 very clearly white people on board.

naem
May 29, 2011

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

Why are people like this, there's 3 very clearly white people on board.

You expect Jeremy Hambly to be capable of basic pattern recognition skills? What is wrong with you?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Grey Cat posted:

They'll be long dead by 16hrs. That's way past current air supply estimates.

Yeah, that's my wiggle room for being wrong and assuming no absurdities happened like 5 man sub battle royale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

nine-gear crow posted:

You expect Jeremy Hambly to be capable of basic pattern recognition skills? What is wrong with you?

I'm literally colorblind and I can tell there's white people. (also very basic reading comprehension).