Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I suspect a lot of Planescape's hype is from people playing Torment and assuming from the experience the setting is as strong as the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Tonight, mercifully, she’s going right to a meeting with Justine Bern instead – Archbishop of NYC, a 5th generational Lasombra and serial diablerist, and Varney’s domitor. For a relieving change, we meet a woman with a description who isn’t the hottest lady ever:

Um, excuse me book, I just said Francisco Polonia was the Archbishop of NYC and had been thus since 1761. :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Loomer posted:

I suspect a lot of Planescape's hype is from people playing Torment and assuming from the experience the setting is as strong as the game.

I think... there are a couple of grounds for it.

Firstly, yeah, Torment was strong.

Secondly, a lot of the feel in the core books is carried by DiTerlizzi's art.

Thirdly, the promise of Planescape was that it would be a setting where less things were solved by stabbing people and taking their wallet. Where you could do more with planning and creativity(power of belief and all that) and where you were forced to because a lot of the locals hanging around were Balors just out for a pint or whatever, so the average adventurer party managing to mug them was less plausible. I think that's what a lot of us wanted, that offer of something new.

Also having read through a third of Faction War so far I hate it already and I do not predict that it will change. I wish I drank because this loving .PDF makes me want to get so drunk I lose the ability to parse written words.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ominous Jazz posted:

That is a really consequence free module.

As far as I can tell, they're all consequence free - at least for anyone outside the immediate PC group. That's the "best" part of this setting. Why would you as a player want to adventure in Planescape? To me the answer would be, "I want to go where reality itself is shaped into... reality. Where the Big Decisions and Real Battles are made and fought." And in truth, you get the opposite of that. In the big-rear end super-campaign modules The Temple of Elemental Evil, Scourge of the Slavelords and Queen of the Spiders there are multiple points where the modules address the question of "What if the PCs gently caress up and survive while the villains win?" In Planescape the answer to that question is basically: "Not much."

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It’s kind of like superhero stories where the only narrative is that the protagonists are freelance cops that defeat the villain of the week to maintain the status quo. Except here the villain’s blue space laser can’t actually threaten the status quo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Worse than that it feels more like how 2 superheroes meet and the world's dumbest fight starts over a simple issue they could have straightened out with two sentences exchanged, after that absolutely nothing is learned by anyone anywhere AND the reader realizes that once more the comics publisher made him their bitch.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Ah, a crossover event.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I thought this thread was about reviews, and not just copy/pasting the content of books.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

I thought this thread was about reviews, and not just copy/pasting the content of books.

Do you have a specific example you want to point at or are you just yelling into the void?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
From learning about Planescape here, what amazes me is that D&D, the literal grab-bag of every possible mythology and fantasy setting with all the opportunities that provides, first found it necessary to go "no, that's not enough, we need something MORE" - and then when they got it then went "no, still not enough, we need EVEN MORE!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Do you have a specific example you want to point at or are you just yelling into the void?

Aw. I'll reset the sign.

'It has been [0] Days Since Somebody Complained The Thread Was Copy/Pasting From Books.'

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Dawgstar posted:

Aw. I'll reset the sign.

'It has been [0] Days Since Somebody Complained The Thread Was Copy/Pasting From Books.'

Copypasting's fine for quotes if you want to capture verbatim, but I don't get the point if you're not adding opinions or doing some sort of analysis. If that's what someone wants they can just go buy the book themselves.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And boy howdy do I have opinions.
So many that the first draft ended up at 9000 words and I have to cut it up in chunks as not to make peoples eyes glaze over. :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of botched cyberpunk games, I'm not happy with any of the cyberpunk stuff I've seen in the OSR/indie D&D space. Dancing with Bullets Under a Neon Sun is the best of the lot, but drat near all of them feel like someone's unfinished house rules.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've seen a couple of "5e as Cyberpunk" books, none of which has instilled me with all that much conference.
Did stumble upon Crescendo of Violence a while back. But it's not a cyberpunk game, as it calls itself "Neon-Noir" instead to differentiate itself from the usual cyberpunk clichés.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
One of the major problems Planescape had, aside from "many of the factions are not actually worth taking seriously and the writers haven't realized this", is that in a lot of ways it's a setting about impressive, wondrous, cosmic things... but absolutely nobody in the setting is impressed by them. It's kind of critically awe-starved.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

And boy howdy do I have opinions.
So many that the first draft ended up at 9000 words and I have to cut it up in chunks as not to make peoples eyes glaze over. :v:

If you're not spewing out hundreds of thousands of words are you even trying?

I say this as someone whose review docs are at times nearly as long as the god drat books the review is discussing :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

If you're not spewing out hundreds of thousands of words are you even trying?

I say this as someone whose review docs are at times nearly as long as the god drat books the review is discussing :v:

Oh sure, but I don't think posting a 24 page document would go off very well. :v:
At least I'm not dropping the full list of all 300+ guns and weapons, that I save for a blog post.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

One of the major problems Planescape had, aside from "many of the factions are not actually worth taking seriously and the writers haven't realized this", is that in a lot of ways it's a setting about impressive, wondrous, cosmic things... but absolutely nobody in the setting is impressed by them. It's kind of critically awe-starved.

The impression I got from the advertising and lead-up was that Planescape was going to be "Clive Barker's AD&D." The actual thing is... very much not that.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh sure, but I don't think posting a 24 page document would go off very well. :v:
At least I'm not dropping the full list of all 300+ guns and weapons, that I save for a blog post.

Yeah that's generally why I try to avoid including stats in my reviews and really only include the excessively long lists of stuff in corebooks because it's *usually* relevant to the review and not....well the 9(10?) pages of guns and military equipment that White Wolf insisted I needed to have in the players guide.

And as I'm getting closer to the end of the write up for Sabbat ST guide, I've swung more towards enjoying it than the previous "Meh" feeling I had. Still think the Sabbat as playable characters sucks along with other gripes but man, 1e really knows how to hit the right "So stupid I love it" beats and there are plenty of those in this book.

Are inbred ghoul dynasties loving stupid as hell? Yes, yes they. Do I love it? god help me I do

Also Cenobite powers! There are god drat Cenobite powers it's so loving dumb I love it :allears:

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that's generally why I try to avoid including stats in my reviews and really only include the excessively long lists of stuff in corebooks because it's *usually* relevant to the review and not....well the 9(10?) pages of guns and military equipment that White Wolf insisted I needed to have in the players guide.

On no, that would be all of the weapon descriptions. The stats are all collated in a handful of tables later on. I haven't done all of them yet, but almost done translating all of them. Because I could I suppose.
But I have plenty to say about some of the highlights from that either way.
Even if there is a pointless stat entry as well.
I'm not going to bother showing it, but one entry in it is for muzzle velocity.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Planescape: Faction War

Intro

My good friends.

My fellow posters.

Nerds and goons everywhere.

Faction War... loving sucks. See, I had always avoided it, pretended it didn't exist, because I actually liked most of the factions in concept and heard that it just deleted or rewrote most of them for no apparent reason, and this seemed to be why most people hated it, too. I've never heard anyone talk about it in terms of whether it was a good module. But now I can say with certainty: it absolutely is not. It seems to thrive on pointless complications that serve no purpose, most of which the players will never learn but which the GM can be very smug about knowing. And, you know what? At the very end of this BIG SUPER EPIC ADVENTURE? The players didn't loving matter. Nothing they did changed everything. It could only end one way.

There's also a lot of poo poo that happens before the players even get started on the adventure, a lot of which the players are meant to discover during it but which I'm going to lay out here since it's clunky as poo poo to make sense of otherwise.

Like 1000 years ago or so, an evil wizard does a spell in Sigil that's meant to kill the Lady of Pain and make Sigil his. The Lady shows up and goes "lmao, no." and turns him into a gem that can still be used to cast the spell(rather than just shredding him or throwing him into a maze). In more recent times, Rowan Darkwood, Factol of the Fated, finds out about this spell and that the Wizard Gem is needed to finish it. He prepares a bunch of cartoonishly villainous poo poo to throw Sigil into chaos, so he can then sneak in and do it, and when his agents find the Wizard Gem on Pandemonium, he puts his plans into effect. His most important actions, that directly affect the story:

Sowing General Chaos: He makes sure to snitch and back-chat every single faction so they're ready to go to war at a moment's notice. Some of them, like the Bleakers, Signers and Ciphers, don't really care, about the Doomguard in particular are extremely ready for a scrap.

The Whole Alisohn Nilesia Deal: So, the leader of the Mercykillers is insane, she's also 19. Rowan swoozes up to her and, with close to a hundred years of experience(he's biologically immortal due to magic) sweet talks her and convinces her she's the only one for him and they'll live happily ever after. She nods and smiles and agrees that if he marries her, she'll give him control of the Mercykillers to conquer Sigil with. He marries her, then promptly teleports her to the Abyss as a slave for the fiends. At the same time, he convinces Alisohn's second in command, a paladin, that it's time for the Mercykillers to be nicer, to release a bunch of the unjustly imprisoned. Said paladin agrees, and Rowan makes sure that as many violent offenders with strong faction sympathies are let out as possible, so they'll cause more poo poo.

Villainous Gloating: He records his whole plan and himself gloating about how cool he is on a magic gem and leaves it in the Sensate HQ, the Civic Festhall, so that once he rules everything people can be forced to watch it and tell him how rad he is.

Getting Mazed, lmao: The moment Rowan has done this, he gets mazed to gently caress, without the gem he needs. He has a Wish prepared for this, to escape with, but it teleports him 500 years into the past, where the Bleakers find him and lock him up for being insane, and he spends the next 500 years locked up in the Gatehouse rambling and crying and trying to count the days until the Wizard Gem is in Sigil so he can try to conquer everything.

In fact, the Lady, sensing that some bullshit is about to be up, mazes most of the Factols just on principle because they're a bunch of trouble-starting shitheads. The mazed are: Terrance of the Athar, Ambar of the Godsmen, Sruce of the Bleakers, Pentar of the Doomguard, Skall of the Dustmen, Rowan of the Fated, Bria of the Indeps, several core cells of the Anarchists, Darius of the Signers, Montgomery of the Sensates.

This leaves Rhys of the Ciphers free(she got some bad vibes and yeeted herself out of town early), Karan of the Xaositects, Sarin of the Harmonium and Hashkar of the Guvners.

Predictably, Mazed people don't leave behind a "soz, was mazed"-note, and several of the factions now missing their Factols are even more up in arms, convinced that they've been kidnapped or assassinated. Though a few, like the Bleakers, just shrug, or like the Signers, are convinced that their Factol has ascended into another reality because of how cool they were.

So at this point, the players get to interact with the story.

Chapter 1

With all the poo poo that's been happening, Sigil is a bit on edge. The players get to watch some bar fights and stuff, and then get invited to a mission that I know would have most players I know noping right the gently caress out: the Xaositects want their help. These kender-adjacent, fishmalk-acting fuckheads. They're worried that Karan is gonna disappear next, so they've decided to send out a bunch of fake Karans to distract everyone. The players get a Fake Karan that is in fact the Real Karan pretending to be a Fake Karan, a sort of double bluff. They get to run through the streets with them, protecting them from generic bullshit and putting up with them, when the Harmonium roll up to arrest Real Fake Karan for being a nuisance, which they must succeed at... because while in custody, the Lady mazes Karan. Oh and then an Anarchist with a Doomguard weapon assassinates Sarin and a violent offender released by the Mercykillers under Rowan's guidance before he got mazed stabs Hashkar, leaving literally every faction beheaded(though I suppose Rhys could be sending her buddies letters from Elysium).

Chapter 2

Things promptly go right to poo poo with the Harmonium allying with the Sensates and the Good members of the Mercykillers(Sons of Mercy) to evict the Doomguard from the Armory. The Doomguard, meanwhile, hook up with the Anarchists, Indeps, Sodkillers(evil Mercykillers) and Xaositects and start distributing free weapons, even magic ones, to everyone in sight who promises to stab a cop. The players get to choose their side here, and get to play in the defense of or siege of the Armory. It inevitably goes all to hell when it turns out that the Doomguard, stupid motherfuckers that they are, had an entire storage room full of Spheres of Annihilation that they had been jury-rigging to try and make them more destructive. They get loose during the fighting and undermine the entire structure, as well as eating almost half of the Cambion leading the Doomguard in Pentar's absence(Ely Cromlich), though he somehow manages to survive that and teleport away.

It's a technical victory for the forces of Order, and since the destruction of the Armory also deactivates all Doomguard-forged weapons(turns out the core of it could've been destroyed by a single arrow, whoops), everyone who's traded with the Doomguard is now also somewhat neutered. The Chaotic forces in the city retreat to lick their wounds.

Chapter 3

Chapter 3 is a huge red herring where some idiots run around claiming the End is Nigh, the players investigate them and discover nothing except a note going: "there's a WIZARD GEM in town, it's important, this guy has it, someone else has the WIZARD GEM SCROLL" for a later chapter.

Chapter 4

Chapter 4 is uniquely stupid. Hearing that everyone's getting their asses kicked, a bunch of Yugoloths decide to make a move on Sigil. They decide to convince Ely Cromlich to come back with some Tanar'ri buddies, and some other Baatezu to show up as well, just so they can cause some chaos, while the Yugoloths... do nothing. They don't arrive with titanic legions or anything, and if this sort of poo poo would actually work why haven't they done it before? And with bigger numbers? Anyway, the Tanar'ri show up, bringing along a Kaiju to break poo poo, and so do the Baatezu(sans Kaiju), just at the same time as the Chaos forces decide to launch an attack on the Civic Festhall(which seems pretty unsympathetic considering that it's literally just a large lecture center, rather than a military target like the Armory). Most of what they accomplish is murdering a shitload of unarmed civilians while the Chaos remnants go "hoo boy war crimes! woo!" and throw in their lot with the demons rampaging everywhere.

The players get sent in to shut down the Tanar'ri portal since they, unlike everyone else, keep bringing more reinforcements, and after doing so Ely goes "oh boo, it was those mean ol' Yugoloths tricking me. They live under the Lower Ward in their evil temple."

The players are then sent down to that evil temple by themselves to break a magic stick("The Nightmare Shaft," write your own jokes) that they've been using to read the entire city's minds. The Yugoloths fight fiercely if attacked, but the players can literally just bribe the doormen, walk in and snap the magic stick in half while no one's watching, which literally makes the Yugoloths so despondent that they start stabbing each other and then leave.

God it's loving dumb.

Chapter 5

At the start of this chapter the Lady gets so pissed she closes all of Sigil's portals. Everyone is now on a countdown timer for starvation, death from thirst and asphyxiation(Sigil apparently doesn't hover in an atmosphere as such but only gets air from gates from the Elemental Air). This is a very cool idea but doesn't affect anything.

So at this point the players finally act on their clue about the Wizard Gem and the associated magic spell. The guy with the magic spell is hiding out in a deep sewer(a magic deep sewer) and the players can find him and ask what's up. Turns out he's a really sympathetic guy who doesn't want to conquer Sigil, but instead to use the Wizard Gem Spell(that he doesn't know the Wizard Gem is needed for) to hand Sigil over to the Bleakers since they seem to be the only folks that actually care about others and help the downtrodden without any ulterior motives.

The players can either try to help him or stop him, but no matter what they do, it turns out the spell doesn't work because he's missing the Wizard Gem, so whatever bumps they get while fending off bad guys or while trying to mug him, they were pointless. The wizard gives them a magic pen, though.

Spoiler: It's all pointless.

Chapter 6

The players activate the magic pen and get teleported to the in-setting lair of the guy who wrote the Factol's Manifesto. He tells them to find the oldest guy in the Gatehouse to tell them what's up.

The players do so, because they have no other clues and no agency, and it turns out to be Ancient Rowan, who's calling himself Gifad. Some Anarchists let out some of the more insane people in the Gatehouse and they cause a bit of trouble, but eventually the party leaves with "Gifad" in tow. He stops to pick up his gear from his quarters in the Hall of Records, and then they go to fight an evil spell-eating Tiefling who has the Wizard Gem. They beat her up and steal her stuff, and lead Gifad to where the Wizard Gem Spell needs to be cast(it's engraved on the streets of Sigil themselves). He crushes the gem to release its power and goes "HA HA HA I AM NOW GOING TO RULE THE WORLD."

And then the Lady shows up and ULTRA MAZES him so hard he gets sent a thousand years back in time and goes insane and becomes the wizard who challenged her in the first place and got turned into the Wizard Gem.

She does finger guns at the PC's and winks at them and goes "lmao the power is yours now, WHATCHA GONNA DO DORKS" and swoozes out.

The players can now end the Faction War with the more-or-less Wish powers of the Wizard Gem Spell. They could also do something else but actually it's just a test and the Faction War ends anyway, the Lady is going to nullify whatever spell they cast if it's not what she wants, and I guess she could have done this poo poo all along and it's loving stupid.

Epilogue

The Lady evicts all of the factions after calling them morons, everyone realizes they didn't actually need them, the people of Sigil discover a sudden communal spirit and decide to help the Dabus make the city function. Everyone who wasn't an rear end in a top hat(Bleakers, Dustmen, etc.) and were actually helping others and providing a useful service to others in the city, hang around and keep doing it but without faction symbols. The Ciphers also establish a representative democracy in the city.

Also there's a new faction now called the Mind's Eye that's in-setting so annoying that everyone hates them and all merchants overcharge them to make them gently caress off.

Sadly, this isn't the end of Planescape modules as I need to go through one more, Dead Gods. I might do Tales From The Infinite Staircase, but it's a module collection like Well of Worlds and that was just insanely bad. So if it's so bad that it makes me depressed I'm skipping it.

The lesson of the day is don't ever pay for a module or adventure path.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

I was tempted to F&F Children of Night, a big collection of NPCs in Revised but A) I didn't think I could do it justice and B) it would be a lot of talking about stats which I thought would get boring.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So long as you give a quick summary of what's wrong with each character so people can skip the StatsChat there's absolutely no problem.
:justpost:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I was tempted to F&F Children of Night, a big collection of NPCs in Revised but A) I didn't think I could do it justice and B) it would be a lot of talking about stats which I thought would get boring.

If it's just listing stats it's not very interesting, but analyses like "the text says that Keyboard Kim is the greatest hacker in all of Arkansas, but by RAW she couldn't even boot up her PC successfully more than 25% of the time..." have the potential for being entertaining or interesting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I haven't read this thread in literal years - I've tried to catch up occasionally but there's just too much. So - are there any good recent FATALs to look at?

But also :allears: at an adventure module where the main character of the setting solves everything for you. Never change, RPG modules, never change.

e: Does anyone remember a Japanese fantasy rpg that was really cozy and featured little dragons? I'm digging through the website but man, I cannot remember its title.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 22, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I have moderately fond memories of Dead Gods, but also it's obviously been rather a while since I've so much as glanced at it. It does a lot of jaunting around the planes to some interesting places, to my recollection, but I would not be remotely surprised if it's aged like milk. It's got its own share of "follow the metaplot, suckers."

It's a Monte Cook thing, and if I recall draws together some stuff he and Bruce Cordell wrote across their contributions to Planescape.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

disposablewords posted:

It's a Monte Cook thing, and if I recall draws together some stuff he and Bruce Cordell wrote across their contributions to Planescape.

Oh, yeah, Monte Cook is one of the two credited designers for Faction War. loving Monte Cook.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read this thread in literal years - I've tried to catch up occasionally but there's just too much. So - are there any good recent FATALs to look at?

Any particular things you're looking for? Good games? Comically bad games? Just plain weird games?

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Does anyone remember a Japanese fantasy rpg that was really cozy and featured little dragons? I'm digging through the website but man, I cannot remember its title.

Do you remember anything else? It rings a faint bell.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ryuutama maybe?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, Monte Cook is one of the two credited designers for Faction War. loving Monte Cook.

Any particular things you're looking for? Good games? Comically bad games? Just plain weird games?

Do you remember anything else? It rings a faint bell.

Comically bad and/or weird, usually!

Also AHA I found it, Golden Sky Stories. I should see if I can't translate this into a solo rpg, it's got the cutest lil setting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cooked Auto posted:

Ryuutama maybe?
This definitely sounds like Ryuutama, yeah.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It was also Ryuutama and I was fusing it and Golden Sky stories into one RPG in my head. Thank you!!!!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Comically bad and/or weird, usually!

I think that I may hold the prize for most bad reviews, so I'm going to self-promote a bit:

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/hc-svnt-dracones/ , Eclipse Phase as made by Libertarian furries.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/kult-divinity-lost/ , imagine if they rebooted Kult and decided to add hints on how to vividly describe sexual abuse and also a demon made from heroin poop.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/dragonlance/ , you want bad modules? Dragonlance is nothing BUT bad modules.

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/kromore/ , bad RPG's are the funniest when they try to be super ambitious. Kromore does its damndest to be super ambitious.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

I think that I may hold the prize for most bad reviews, so I'm going to self-promote a bit:

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/hc-svnt-dracones/ , Eclipse Phase as made by Libertarian furries.

Isn't that already Eclipse Phase?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Everyone posted:

Isn't that already Eclipse Phase?

No, Eclipse Phase is sci-fi as written by Anarchists who're convinced that Facebook likes will replace money in the space future.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Apparently HCSD got a second edition. Although I think it might've been covered at some point, unless I'm misremembering.
Or maybe it was a third edition for all I know. :v:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

No, Eclipse Phase is sci-fi as written by Anarchists who're convinced that Facebook likes will replace money in the space future.

That actually reminds me of the two book Daemon/Freedom series by Daniel Suarez.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hic Svnt Dracones is "someone wrote an rpg because they thought Malatora didn't go far enough"

it also includes this absolutely amazing sequence of sentences.

quote:

The solution was a deceptively simple program developed by a 17 year old ferret on a bet, and subsequently cycled through the web until it appeared under the nose of MarsCo execs, who hailed it as the monetary equivalent to a miracle. It took the form of a stand-alone system of micro-investments that bought and sold in tiny amounts, constantly. A miniature stock broker that could plot long-term growth goals in a much smaller scale, making them profitable in the short term. By linking this system to the micro-transaction section of one’s bank account, it could offset the constant drain caused by everyday living. Issuing one of these programs to every Vector at birth ensured it had a lifetime to grow, making its comparatively small profit margin substantially larger, while at the same time fueling exchange. The constant and consistent exchange lent stability to the value of the Credit, which was in turn linked to the number of people using the system. In effect, the program turned the population of the Sol system into a physical base for the value of currency, one that would (barring an extinction event) continue to grow at a steady, predictable rate. The program was dubbed “the Ledger,” and became the closest post-humanity Sol had ever come to social security. Everyone got one, and it stayed and grew with them throughout their life.

Some 17 year old kid solved fiat currency on a bet.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

A 17 year old ferret is like twice as old they get to on average, so it’s already pretty special. What’s a little miraculous computer program when you’re already 160 years old?

I’m also pretty confident the author doesn’t understand stock trading very well.

Bouquet fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Fivemarks posted:

Well, if its an issue for people I can spend more time rambling on odd tangents about the structure of the Cosa Nostra, which vampires do and do not exist, and drawing bloodline charts, but that'll bloat the read-through to be as long as the trilogy itself.

Bouquet posted:

A 17 year old ferret is like twice as old they get to on average, so it’s already pretty special. What’s a little miraculous computer program when you’re already 160 years old?

I’m also pretty confident the author doesn’t understand stock trading very well.

My impression from HVSD is that the author doesn't understand anything very well, honestly.