Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zeluth posted:

Say no to techno. :slick:

One of my most abrasive (and probably baseless, admittedly) music opinions is that Techno, like Detroit Techno-rear end Techno, is Bad Music, and anyone who enjoys it is either on too much speed, or they don't actually like electronic music and their enjoyment is performative.

It's just so impossibly boring. I realize that it's an incredibly wide and varied genre and there are definitely exceptional tunes that I enjoy (usually ones that make use of rhythmic syncopation) but I cannot understand why people enjoy being pummelled by quarter note kicks soaked in reverb and the VERY occasional lowpassed synth stab.

It's also the only genre I've danced to that seems to be rife with DJs who have no respect for musical phrasing. As I grew up playing drums, that kind of stuff is my bread & butter, and hearing DJs not only trainwreck left and right but introduce new songs off-measure (off by an odd number of bars or even BEATS), just drives me crazy. I feel like Techno DJs are mostly just in it for the ego stroking and don't care to hone their craft, but maybe I've just seen some lovely Techno DJs.

I don't really go public with this take too often - let people enjoy what they like and that - but privately, for the life of me I cannot see what interests so many people in the genre. Give me actual rhythms, and respect the loving formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

One of my most abrasive (and probably baseless, admittedly) music opinions is that Techno, like Detroit Techno-rear end Techno, is Bad Music, and anyone who enjoys it is either on too much speed, or they don't actually like electronic music and their enjoyment is performative.

It's just so impossibly boring. I realize that it's an incredibly wide and varied genre and there are definitely exceptional tunes that I enjoy (usually ones that make use of rhythmic syncopation) but I cannot understand why people enjoy being pummelled by quarter note kicks soaked in reverb and the VERY occasional lowpassed synth stab.

It's also the only genre I've danced to that seems to be rife with DJs who have no respect for musical phrasing. As I grew up playing drums, that kind of stuff is my bread & butter, and hearing DJs not only trainwreck left and right but introduce new songs off-measure (off by an odd number of bars or even BEATS), just drives me crazy. I feel like Techno DJs are mostly just in it for the ego stroking and don't care to hone their craft, but maybe I've just seen some lovely Techno DJs.

I don't really go public with this take too often - let people enjoy what they like and that - but privately, for the life of me I cannot see what interests so many people in the genre. Give me actual rhythms, and respect the loving formula.

Nah, a lot of the early techno was pretty bad. It was fun though and that was the allure of it. A huge amount of stuff released from the late 80's to early 90's would be unlistenable if it were introduced today. That same goes for a lot of Drum and Bass, repetitive schlock but I still like a fair amount of it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was being facetious. There is a time on oneself's life to experience one form of techno or another. Grooving with it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Having said that, if I ever come into a bunch of money again the first thing I'm buying is an Erica Synths Techno System. That's (hopefully) the closest I'll ever get to modular; something else that I do not understand or care for much but the System looks and sounds like I could make some dope Dub with it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm8cDP6ddCg

Dubstep

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

I smoked weed with Kill The Noise. Cool dude.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't really go public with this take too often

One time too often at least

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Windows 98 posted:

I smoked weed with Kill The Noise. Cool dude.

Yeah he seems that way. There are a couple of real gems in the scene, so odd for how bro-ey the music and scene normally are, guys like KTN, Getter and Excision sure do dress like Dubstep DJs but they're actually incredibly talented and introspective and just... Real.

I smoked a cigarette with two of the guys from Noisia. I've had beers with Dub Phizix, one of the guys from Loadstar, Bladerunner (after opening for him) and Rene Lavice. I was gonna ask MC Det to get a photo as I opened for him and Brockie on my birthday, but he was a total diva so I didn't approach him.

This is a big tangent but it was on my mind today as another banal encounter with a famous musician: I almost stepped on Kardinal Offishall's shoes at a Sister Nancy concert.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
https://soundcloud.com/prettysweet2/miss-you-remix
the less seriously i take this drop the more i like it

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

idk if anyone knows who they are since it seems they stopped making music together four or five years ago but i smoked weed with the dudes from Savoy a couple times. they gave us free merch things too, i wish i knew where that shirt was

anyway heres a different track i like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoy3rJZS2I

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Mister Speaker posted:

Having said that, if I ever come into a bunch of money again the first thing I'm buying is an Erica Synths Techno System. That's (hopefully) the closest I'll ever get to modular; something else that I do not understand or care for much but the System looks and sounds like I could make some dope Dub with it.

If you go with the Techno System you will be in with modular not close to it as it is a modular system. Well done on the addiction.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Wrageowrapper posted:

If you go with the Techno System you will be in with modular not close to it as it is a modular system. Well done on the addiction.

I know it's patchable, but aren't the 'standard' parameters like note and velocity hardwired under the hood? I would call that semi-modular, but it's splitting hairs.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Most new American dubstep is either screechy and annoying or wook music combining dungeon sounding synths and old bass nectar sounds

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Peak dubstep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHZXQy1oi18

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I just saw Moritz Hofbauer perform a live techno set and it was musically engaging and sounded phenomenal.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Dubplate Fire posted:

Dubstep is really lovely op

watch this video, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQHQhNq5Tek

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Uk dubstep like Burial or Sepalcure are fuckin dope.

A10
Mar 6, 2018

blackdown absolutely nailed where dubstep went wrong tbh - "for a while, dubstep has been entering into a drum & bass harder-than-thou style contest" - it completely stopped being about beats, bass and vibes and quickly became about who could produce the "sickest" sounding drop. groove was forgotten about, tunes that made the girls in the club dance was forgotten about and most club nights featuring dubstep in london became a fest of (mostly guys) losers in bucket hats and guys taking their tops off to mosh. at a dubstep event. sad.

but i place the blame internally as well. some of the most famous producers of the london sound moved on, which of course is just progression but they left the scene with a lot of 1-hit-wonder producers who have disappeared entirely after failing to follow up with anything of decent substance. i wonder what path this genre would have taken if loefah's harddrive never crashed and released the dubs he had? what if digital mystikz carried on releasing tunes? what about d1? headhunter? cyrus? skream? what if youngsta never started to delve into the "dungeon" sound? what if 16bit (now moody good and jaswan) continued as a duo?

like loefah said in an interview a while back, it can't be 2005 forever but i feel the scene prematurely ended because the OGs of the genre packed their poo poo up because they didn't want their sound associated with what the wider majority knew as "dubstep"

and that's also part of the issue. one person thinks *this* is dubstep, another person says *this* is dubstep. listen to both of them and the tracks could sound completely different - one sounds like a robot orgy, the other has an occasional synth stab, drums and rolling bassline. so when those people show their friends what "dubstep" is to them, that person will probably think EVERY tune sounds like what's been shown to them... and if they don't like it, they won't explore what's on offer

murican producers in 2008: take a genre, hype it up 10000000x to something that doesn't sound like the genre anymore, claim it is, then argue until everyone says it is. failing that, call it <insertname>step

A10 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 9, 2024

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i think dubstep is going to come back, but only as a subgenre of christian pop music that's relegated to waaay deep in the FM band

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The big difference between people who say Skrillex and Bassnectar is dubstep people who say Burial is dubstep is one half is from the US and discovered "EE DEE EM" mostly through festivals in 2010.

The other half is from the UK, and pretty online.

As someone who listened to a ton of house and techno in the late 90s and onward it was pretty annoying to finally see (electronic) music go mainstream in the way it did. Thankfully in Detroit there were still really great venues where you could dance that werent totally overrun by guys in Affliction t-shirts.

For a few years 1/4 stages at Movement Festival was taken up by bass music and people "waiting for the drop".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i liked that video and i especially like the idea that the whole metal nerd invasion thing (pendulum were also originally a metal act, mind you) was because of that period in history where a lot of teenagers were listening to music on their lovely computer speakers. i can believe it because i listened to music on lovely laptop speakers when i was in first year of college in the 2000s. the closer the muisic is to white noise the better it sounds

i didn’t go to the nights or even was aware of their existence- listened to godspeed you black emperor depressedly in my room in the mid 2000s partly because i was a depressed nerd, partly because due to not living in london bristol or manchester, the night clubs loving sucked. come to think of it though the best music i went to see around that time was post rock stuff. sitting on the floor in a basement bar in newcastle, good times

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 14, 2024