Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordiceius posted:

100% real honest story time.

I was on the phone with my mother the other night and she said "I feel like my playstation 4 is running a bit slow. I checked the network speeds and it tends to fluctuate a lot. Do you think my games will run faster if I just drill a hole in my wall so I can run a direct internet cable from my PS4 to my router."

She doesn't play online games.

I can’t imagine ever getting a video game related question from my parents. I don’t think they’ve ever even considered picking up a game.

Though my mom did get addicted to Duolingo’s gamification of language courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
FF13 was good

https://youtu.be/SnuCFLorWiQ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

negativeneil posted:

Xenogears Remake is my personal white whale. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

Never say never I say. With all these remasters and remakes of the most obscure games, I could see it. Like wtf live a live got one. Like how tf

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any remotely notable game is likely to get a refresh eventually. We’re a long ways away from the heat death of the universe.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

negativeneil posted:

Xenogears Remake is my personal white whale. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Never say never I say. With all these remasters and remakes of the most obscure games, I could see it. Like wtf live a live got one. Like how tf

I think it's gone from never to possible in just the last few years. I hope for at least, if not a remake, a re-release for modern systems.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

Any remotely notable game is likely to get a refresh eventually. We’re a long ways away from the heat death of the universe.

Except Panzer Dragoon Saga, which nobody will ever touch because of lost source code and literal ghosts of the developers hovering over it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the higher effort SE remasters/remakes of late generally go along with major original staff still being around (SaGa, Live a Live) or someone else trying to make a new push for the series (Mana). in that context anything major for xenogears is unlikely, but it could still get a more minor remaster if SE happens to feel like it one day. at any rate it's more likely than a xenosaga remaster from bamco.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn looks sublime, and the sheer amount of personality in Live A Live just blows me away.

May I interest you in the good word of Octopath Traveler 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

May I interest you in the good word of Octopath Traveler 2

Yeah, I've been looking for a good price on physical. In the last 7 months I've purchased 2 Squeenix remakes digitally that I wish I could put on my shelf.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I get that feeling. I've thought about buying the physical ost for it for similar reasons even though it's rather expensive

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, we live on different planets here. The pixar-ish Nintendo stuff is just cancer to me, along with stuff like Xenoblade, Genshin, and Pokemon. Never touching any of it. I want spritesss!

Tactics Ogre Reborn looks sublime, and the sheer amount of personality in Live A Live just blows me away.

Yeah Tactics Ogre looked good, but is it really HD 2D? I associate the term with the kind of mishmash of sprites and budget 3D environments that feel like a sloppy mishmash of aesthetics. Tactics Ogre’s sprites and background match in style and it’s a good cohesive look. A lot of it is how the isometric camera flattens the 3D assets to match the spritework, I guess.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tactics Ogre has a disgusting smoothing filter that you can’t turn off thus I refuse to buy it

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

hatty posted:

Tactics Ogre has a disgusting smoothing filter that you can’t turn off thus I refuse to buy it

Oh… yeah I do actually hate that. I guess the intention is to mimic CRT blurring but it doesn’t look like that at all. Raw pixels look better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Except Panzer Dragoon Saga, which nobody will ever touch because of lost source code and literal ghosts of the developers hovering over it.

I've been playing Saga this week. :3: That game will have to be remade from the ground up. No one is going to take this on, it would be too much and I don't think the combat system would go over well with modern gamers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rinkles posted:

I can’t imagine ever getting a video game related question from my parents. I don’t think they’ve ever even considered picking up a game.

Though my mom did get addicted to Duolingo’s gamification of language courses.

When I was a teenager back in the early 2000s, my mother would often be fascinated by games. She'd want to try some and would end up buying some lovely movie tie-in game like a Shrek game or some poo poo.

Around 2010, I gave her my old 360 and got her playing the Lego games. Eventually, I was able to get her to try even more advanced games. Her most advanced games are Fable 2 & 3, Darksiders, Kingdoms of Amalur, Skyrim, and The Witcher 3. She can only really play on the easiest difficulty (and even then she's often really really bad at them). I think she's put well north of 400 hours into Witcher 3, playing through twice and 100%ing the map each time. Games like Stardew Valley and My Time at Portia she has also played multiple times. Basically, I was able to shape her into having gaming be her hobby. At this point, she mostly just does cozy games but I plan on surprising her with a PS5 later this year and FF16.

That being said - technology is still baffling to her. I was trying to come up with reasons why she might think plugging her PS4 directly into her router would make it run faster. She lives in a fairly rural area and has poo poo internet to begin with. She watches a lot of streaming shows and has connection issues in the past. I assume she thinks there's an element of the game that is streaming? idk.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

negativeneil posted:

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant are my white whales, but Super Mario RPG is a good consolation prize.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah Tactics Ogre looked good, but is it really HD 2D? I associate the term with the kind of mishmash of sprites and budget 3D environments that feel like a sloppy mishmash of aesthetics. Tactics Ogre’s sprites and background match in style and it’s a good cohesive look. A lot of it is how the isometric camera flattens the 3D assets to match the spritework, I guess.

Oh, yeah I don't think TO is HD2D, I just mean it's great remaster work. I also have zero issue with 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds, it feels hella natural to me and quite representative of the second half of the 90s.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I am playing a PS5 game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Performance mode in fF16 seems much better than the demo

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I've been playing Saga this week. :3: That game will have to be remade from the ground up. No one is going to take this on, it would be too much and I don't think the combat system would go over well with modern gamers.

You might be right about its combat and modern games, but drat did I love that combat.

Adding the strategic layer of moving around the enemies was perfect. drat I love that game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

r u guys playin it?

e: is it good

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They definitely missed out on FF14, the GOAT final fantasy of the last decade

13-3 is better, real talk.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I started it!

I'm spending ages loving around with my tv settings because it doesn't look good!

It's super washed out. I've got the screen brightness in game on 0 and nothing gets close to black. I can go into my tv settings and set the hmdi black level to low, but you're only supposed to use that if the console is set to limited rgb output, and mine isn't.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

13-3 is better, real talk.

Awww heeeelll naaahhh

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

cubicle gangster posted:

I started it!

I'm spending ages loving around with my tv settings because it doesn't look good!

It's super washed out. I've got the screen brightness in game on 0 and nothing gets close to black. I can go into my tv settings and set the hmdi black level to low, but you're only supposed to use that if the console is set to limited rgb output, and mine isn't.

It looks amazing to me with the default brightness, so I’m not sure what to tell you. Hope you can calibrate it to look better

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I am playing a PS5 game

don't lie in this thread, this is a truth zone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I started it!

new tele time!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

have fun tonight, goons. i look forward to catching up with y'all tomorrow.

thank you for doing your posting duty in this thread. now that the PS5 has a single game the thread will be closing permanently. arigatou gozaimasu

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m late to post this but in Lies of P the problem you’re having with dodge is that the dodge animation actually begins on circle button release, not the initial circle button press. I think they did this because long pressing/holding the dodge button makes you run. So until you know this..dodging feels loving awful, slow, very hard to time. Once you get it though it’s..possibly brilliant? You can actually hold the circle for like 1.5sec and release exactly when you want to dodge to time it to an attack. Otherwise you can press and release circle very quickly and slightly earlier than you think to for a simple dodge. If you like I can delve into this further. A circle press actually has three parts to it: when circle is pressed, when circle is held, and when circle is released. So we can actually perfectly dodge by using a half circle press. We do this by simply holding the first circle press to be used for the second half circle press, because the half circle press only required circle to be held, not actually pressed. So to capture a perfect dodge, we call this 2.5 half circle presses. In conclusion, since that first circle press counts in some contexts but adds no additional circle presses in other contexts, we call that a half circle press. You can therefore see how this is far superior to Bloodborne’s full circle press system. Man, I did not expect this post to become 25 years long when I started writing, but I guess there was just that much to explain.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

I haven't watched Game of Thrones but from what I can tell it's some kind of anime that was inspired by Tactics Ogre??

Sounds fun, I look forward to seeing all of the easter eggs when I'm roleplaying the most recent fantasy based on reality made in japan.

Imagine lord of the rings, but now theres assholes and shagging and incest and swearijg and regional british accents and killing off characters like crack, rite, and that somehow makes it "mature" and "adult" and not "kid poo poo" for harry potter truffledoor babies who cant see themes and storyline throughlines so you get poo poo like people not seeing the ending coming since season 2 and then you have people at work really believe that one character, the ice one is dead in season 5 of a SONG of ice and fire when the fire one already did their not dead bit so you show them that lucas poetry vid but they still cry so you make hardcore bet with them and make 200 quid but they never pay up. Also one storyline happend during a point in recent in recent history that people lached on to as a way to pretend they were actually supportive so when the yelling at you for 7 seasons ending actually haopened their minds melted. It also sucked but thats not the point, the point is ita final fantasy 16 day on the sony playstation five and im gonna toss it off at work and come back home and play final fantasy 16 only on playstation five!!!!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m late to post this but in Lies of P the problem you’re having with dodge is that the dodge animation actually begins on circle button release, not the initial circle button press. I think they did this because long pressing/holding the dodge button makes you run. So until you know this..dodging feels loving awful, slow, very hard to time. Once you get it though it’s..possibly brilliant? You can actually hold the circle for like 1.5sec and release exactly when you want to dodge to time it to an attack. Otherwise you can press and release circle very quickly and slightly earlier than you think to for a simple dodge. If you like I can delve into this further. A circle press actually has three parts to it: when circle is pressed, when circle is held, and when circle is released. So we can actually perfectly dodge by using a half circle press. We do this by simply holding the first circle press to be used for the second half circle press, because the half circle press only required circle to be held, not actually pressed. So to capture a perfect dodge, we call this 2.5 half circle presses. In conclusion, since that first circle press counts in some contexts but adds no additional circle presses in other contexts, we call that a half circle press. You can therefore see how this is far superior to Bloodborne’s full circle press system. Man, I did not expect this post to become 25 years long when I started writing, but I guess there was just that much to explain.

a circle press is a circle press you can’t say it’s only a half

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

nice try

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wild how negative this thread's reaction to Lies of P is vs every other online community I know.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

cubicle gangster posted:

I started it!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-color-settings-for-ff16.733656/

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

I agree

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's been dispatched!!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The thing about game of thrones and ff16 is that it's such an obvious surface level observation that it doesn't even warrant talking about. You're not clever for pointing it out.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

Wild how negative this thread's reaction to Lies of P is vs every other online community I know.

Those bitches dont habe bloodborne. Or final fantasy 16, i would wager

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

lol it's an 85" qn90a I've only had for 6 months.

I found the expert gamma settings buried deep in the menus and got it looking really nice. Had to put some real non standard numbers in though, probably going to make other games look wack but this is all I plan to play until I'm done with it.

E:

Ah!
I actually tried my HDMI black level on limited, but even with that on and brightness in game on the lowest, it felt over dark, with the mids still kind of washed out - like the darkest point was being crushed as well as bringing the lower mids down. Changing the tv gamma for the ps5 has got me a result that looks much nicer.
It's wild they hosed that up a bit, honestly it's wild how many games have poo poo calibration out of the box. My tv has a proper neutral calibration set up and I can't use that setting for games because most of them look poo poo with it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

fridge corn posted:

It's been dispatched!!!!

Its finally happening.....!!