Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
The last five days have really demonstrated that the vast, vast majority of the world really doesn't have any clue about The Ocean.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was trying to explain to people at lunch that even if they were alive and banging on the side of the tube, there are only a handful of things that can even get to them at the moment and none of them could pick up the entire sub. They didn’t use standard hatches so there’s no chance of connecting to them to save them.

People were shocked that our military submarines can only go a fraction of the depth to the titanic.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Mr. Nice! posted:

People were shocked that our military submarines can regularly go to a fraction of the depth to the titanic, but can go to the Titanic's depth at least once in a sub's lifetime.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I assume the submersible was supposed to surface by using ballast? So assuming there is a ballast issue, what was the redundant method they have? Or was redundancy in that impractical?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I assume the submersible was supposed to surface by using ballast? So assuming there is a ballast issue, what was the redundant method they have? Or was redundancy in that impractical?

The inventor/CEO/pilot was quoted as saying safety was a waste of money, so search your heart for the answer to that question.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Maybe if they were caught on wreckage and there was an available salvage ROV that could cut the vessel free, then it could be done and the sub would surface on its own regardless of the condition of the crew of the sub, but yeah, the people in the people tank are either gelatinous cubes under high pressure or will be mummified in their own piss and poo poo as air runs out and the CO2 scrubber saturates. The cables holding the ballast to the vessel were supposed to degrade/fail after X amount of hours of exposure to salt water, so the ballast should have released by now, they're either stuck or crunched, dead either way.

If the vessel hasn't been breached then you could feasibly cut the vessel free even after the crew is deceased and it will surface, but honestly I'd leave them down there as a further monument to man's hubris.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 22, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

With a submersible of this size would it be possible to have it attached via a tether to the support ship above? And the tether attached to a winch or the submersible having some sort of climbing mechanism?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This is allegedly their ballast system, so I'll answer with "lol, lmao" this thing was designed by loving morons.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Their ballast was a bunch of iron pipe they found abandoned at some construction site, and the system was engaged by having everyone onboard sit on one side so they would list enough to roll the pipes off their hooks. These were not redundancy people

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

US Berder Patrol posted:

Their ballast was a bunch of iron pipe they found abandoned at some construction site, and the system was engaged by having everyone onboard sit on one side so they would list enough to roll the pipes off their hooks. These were not redundancy people

They claimed to have 7 redundant systems for ballast (5 in the people tank and 2 on either side of the sub)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

This is allegedly their ballast system, so I'll answer with "lol, lmao" this thing was designed by loving morons.

My initial response is, "You are joking right?", but I know you are not and that is quite sad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just to clarify, there are standards and stuff for deep Submergence vehicles, covering things like testing and redundancy, the CEO of the company that made this pile of poo poo deliberately disregarded those standards, even after the organization that writes them sent him a letter telling him that was a bad idea.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

They claimed to have 7 redundant systems for ballast (5 in the people tank and 2 on either side of the sub)

yeah, 7 ballast systems: 3 pipes and 4 sandbags

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Literal nation-states still occasionally lose submarines going to a fraction of the depth of the titanic, but I'm sure everything will be fine if we adopt a YOLO approach to design and testing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

With a submersible of this size would it be possible to have it attached via a tether to the support ship above? And the tether attached to a winch or the submersible having some sort of climbing mechanism?

This is how deep submersible work is typically done, with the exception of 1) people who are actual engineering experts dedicated to safety and the experience and judgement to build a non-tethered submersible and 2) people who are too stupid to know they aren't in group 1.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

The last five days have really demonstrated that the vast, vast majority of the world really doesn't have any clue about The Ocean.

There is one thing that The Ocean is all about. And that is giving absolutely zero fucks for anyone who goes near it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

As we all knew, they dead.
The one "good" thing about implosion is that it's reportedly complete faster than the human nervous system can register anything, the implosion itself moves way faster than a nervous impulse. (meaning the brainbox is physically destroyed before any signals about the situation can reach it).
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1672000874279997441?s=20

Also, rare case where my avi is relevant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Flyinglemur posted:

Listening to the LeBatard show today and they had a former sub captain on for two segments, because they've been obsessed with the story.

Was a good interview, and at the end Dan asked him what he and other submariners are saying about this behind closed doors.

"Yeah they're dead." Everyone's reaction was pretty funny

Here's the whole interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K531SrFDGTg

Do you have a rough timestamp? I can't find that bit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
28:08, be ready to laugh!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

28:08, be ready to laugh!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Sorry, I thought their reaction was funny because they had all been very positive about the chance of survival and even up to this point of the interview the captain was talking about the chance of them being alive.

My apologies.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Flyinglemur posted:

Sorry, I thought their reaction was funny because they had all been very positive about the chance of survival and even up to this point of the interview the captain was talking about the chance of them being alive.

My apologies.

I found them hilarious tbqh because he was like “yeah they’re dead” and they were like holy poo poo he was deadass

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

TheWeedNumber posted:

I found them hilarious tbqh because he was like “yeah they’re dead” and they were like holy poo poo he was deadass

I just wasn't sure if I thought it was funny because I watch/listen to them everyday or because I was a little high or both.

I maybe shouldn't post on extra strength gummy days :(

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's kind of an extra strength gummy sort of story, tbh.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

That has got to be the most Naval Submariner delivery of any line, ever.

It's said with less emotion and more weight of reality than "water is wet."

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I found it amusing in the same way as it would be amusing to watch a grown adult learn for the first time that the tooth fairy isn't real. It was so blatantly obvious that they were completely hosed to people that know a little bit about the ocean that it's hard to even conceptualize that there were people out there that thought there was going to be a rescue.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I maintained from the moment that they lost contact if they didn't surface on their own by dropping ballast they were already dead, the only difference was whether they suffocated or became chunky tomato soup. Even had they not imploded they would have suffocated long before a rescue effort could have retrieved the sub, it was all just a matter of how much suffering they'd go through before Poseidon claims them.

I was definitely praying that the knocking noises were not them because that would mean that they were going to suffocate or freeze to death and nobody would save them, at least this way some fish got fed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I think everyone here knew how hosed they were, and what the odds of anyone making out of a submarine accident are.

Even if I don't have much respect for the people that went down on that thing, I'm glad they were in the bow of the Kursk and not the stern so to speak, no one deserves to go out like that.

I'm also glad this incident hasn't brought back the horrible dying on a submarine PTSD dreams I was having about a year ago.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I think everyone here knew how hosed they were, and what the odds of anyone making out of a submarine accident are.

Even if I don't have much respect for the people that went down on that thing, I'm glad they were in the bow of the Kursk and not the stern so to speak, no one deserves to go out like that.

I'm also glad this incident hasn't brought back the horrible dying on a submarine PTSD dreams I was having about a year ago.

If you ever have a bad day, know that I’m willing to create a burner LinkedIn with pictures of that OF model the billionaire’s stepson was thirsting after, just to inmail Cameron and troll the gently caress out of him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
All the stories revolving around the 96 hour air estimate really shocked me because I just assumed they didn’t have enough fuel to run whatever internal heaters that long, and you’re going to die of hypothermia way before you run out of air at that depth.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

TheWeedNumber posted:

If you ever have a bad day, know that I’m willing to create a burner LinkedIn with pictures of that OF model the billionaire’s stepson was thirsting after, just to inmail Cameron and troll the gently caress out of him.

Just because this isn't 2005 SA doesn't mean this isn't a great idea to do and drop onto reddit and crosslink.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

All the stories revolving around the 96 hour air estimate really shocked me because I just assumed they didn’t have enough fuel to run whatever internal heaters that long, and you’re going to die of hypothermia way before you run out of air at that depth.

That is most likely not correct, and for reasons I've outlined before. They wouldn't have been wet, it wouldn't have been below freezing, there would have been no wind chill, and it's a small space with 5 warm bodies in it. They'd likely be miserably cold, but alive when hypoxia or CO2 poisoning took them. The Apollo 13 crew didn't die of Hypothermia, and they endured similar conditions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

That is most likely not correct, and for reasons I've outlined before. They wouldn't have been wet, it wouldn't have been below freezing, there would have been no wind chill, and it's a small space with 5 warm bodies in it. They'd likely be miserably cold, but alive when hypoxia or CO2 poisoning took them. The Apollo 13 crew didn't die of Hypothermia, and they endured similar conditions.

Apollo 13 is not a good comparison. In space it's more difficult to lose heat, since there's nothing around you to absorb it via conduction. When you're surrounded by near-freezing water you can lose heat quite easily, so you'd better have good insulation and heaters or the temperature will equalize to your surroundings a lot more quickly.

E: Yes, it did get cold, but that's because Apollo modules were carefully designed to reflect solar radiation to avoid gaining heat and to radiate excess heat generated by equipment to maintain an equilibrium temperature comfortable for humans. With most of the equipment turned off, it radiated more than it generated.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 23, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Apollo 13 is not a good comparison. In space it's more difficult to lose heat, since there's nothing around you to absorb it via conduction. When you're surrounded by near-freezing water you can lose heat quite easily, so you'd better have good insulation and heaters or the temperature will equalize to your surroundings a lot more quickly.

E: Yes, it did get cold, but that's because Apollo modules were carefully designed to reflect solar radiation to avoid gaining heat and to radiate excess heat generated by equipment to maintain an equilibrium temperature comfortable for humans. With most of the equipment turned off, it radiated more than it generated.

The occupants of the sub would still have been sitting in a pocket of air. Also, carbon fiber can be a pretty good insulator. They weren't freezing to death in the amount of time they theoretically would have had available to them had the structure not instantly and catastrophically failed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They also used Lithium Hydroxide for CO2 absorption and I think chlorate for O2 production, both of which are exothermic reactions that would help keep them warm.

If they weren't toothpaste.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elviscat posted:

They also used Lithium Hydroxide for CO2 absorption and I think chlorate for O2 production, both of which are exothermic reactions that would help keep them warm.

If they weren't toothpaste.

Let's just say they were very, very warm in their last milliseconds.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they had a once in a lifetime experience at the bottom of the ocean. no one living today can say they have done what these 5 brave explorers have done.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A.o.D. posted:

The occupants of the sub would still have been sitting in a pocket of air. Also, carbon fiber can be a pretty good insulator. They weren't freezing to death in the amount of time they theoretically would have had available to them had the structure not instantly and catastrophically failed.

Yeah, I'm not saying they froze, or that they would have would have died from hypothermia before hypoxia if the crush hadn't happened. I'm just saying Apollo 13 isn't a good example why not.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying they froze, or that they would have would have died from hypothermia before hypoxia if the crush hadn't happened. I'm just saying Apollo 13 isn't a good example why not.

Uh, Apollo 13 was a movie. This is real life.

Idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flyinglemur posted:

Uh, Apollo 13 was a movie. This is real life.

Idiot

I want to believe