Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hatty posted:

Soulsborne is a bad term

been saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Much like how Bloodstained rebranded metroidvania to IGAvania, we should call them Miyazakibornes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Miyakiros

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I forgot to mention that the first game actually has a level called 'Stop Gang: "Dark Soul"' so they are canonically linked and it's the protaganists fault for not stopping that gang from making the first Dark Souls game and naming it after themelves.

In this video essay I will...

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

I forgot to mention that the first game actually has a level called 'Stop Gang: "Dark Soul"' so they are canonically linked and it's the protaganists fault for not stopping that gang from making the first Dark Souls game and naming it after themelves.

In this video essay I will...

Dark Souls was a Corelike

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

likewise, fps should be quakensteins

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

likewise, fps should be quakensteins

Or Doomlikes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All video games are Tennis For Two Clones

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
From needs to go back to making business office software. I’ve been waiting 30 years! Armored Core fans only had to wait 10!

I never played it since it was on the 360, but how was Chromehounds and how did it play in comparison to AC?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfendooms.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pulcinella posted:

From needs to go back to making business office software. I’ve been waiting 30 years! Armored Core fans only had to wait 10!

I never played it since it was on the 360, but how was Chromehounds and how did it play in comparison to AC?
On the "Looks like anime, moves like Battletech" side of things. So far as my dim fever dreams of Mars rovers with piledriver spikes calling in the grid squares for artillery quad mechs goes. But also a joy of trying to figure out how many guns I could attach to more guns.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Pulcinella posted:

Chromehounds was much, much, much slower. Think gameplay that's actually somewhat similar to World of Tanks and World of Warships; overall pretty slow mechs with a focus on large battlefields and sniping.
The cool thing about Chromehounds was just how freeform mech-creation was, and the PvP was really well done.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pulcinella posted:

It was godlike. It was specifically designed to be more "Western" so slower and heavier with virtually no flying and as a squad based multiplayer game set within a persistent war between 3 factions. Fighting over maps would win points for your faction and shift the frontlines onto new maps towards the capitals and boss maps would periodically unlock where you'd fight massive faction specific super-weapons.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 22, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mdct posted:

Chromehounds was much, much, much slower. Think gameplay that's actually somewhat similar to World of Tanks and World of Warships; overall pretty slow mechs with a focus on large battlefields and sniping.
The cool thing about Chromehounds was just how freeform mech-creation was, and the PvP was really well done.

The best part of Chromehounds came when you unlocked all the hexagonal extension parts and you just made a walking palm tree of machine guns.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The best part of Chromehounds came when you unlocked all the hexagonal extension parts and you just made a walking palm tree of machine guns.

Scout wheel legs + grenade launchers were the real Aces of that game!

Unless you were the middle east faction, in which case you just use hovercraft legs

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

One of the things i liked about the early ac games was that the speed, health and lock on system put it in a space somewhere faster than mechwarrior but slower than quake, and it was a good balance. The speed and hard lock in 6 is actually making me think more dbz than souls, and I'm ok with that. It looks fun as hell.

I'm also a bit sad that phrosphor spent so long using rockets and a tiny lockbox sniper fcs while not boosting much, instead of cruising around in a quad blasting everything with the rapid back mounted plasma cannons.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

kliras posted:

you can apparently just read the game informer piece on ac6 on their website

i'm not going to quite the whole thing, but the souls allegations will never not be funny

the game informer reporters sighed as they drew their soulslike comparison

The game informer notes the trash enemies are trash, thats the point, you are the one in a giant Fuckoff robot, the whole point of the trash is to chip away at your resources which you want to conserve for your epic boss fights

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The lead up to this game is just going to get more and more insufferable, isn't it?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The lead up to this game is just going to get more and more insufferable, isn't it?

Yes, but the GAME is going to be utterly fantastic from what I see so far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

Yes, but the GAME is going to be utterly fantastic from what I see so far.

:rock:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

It's hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They gotta get a demo out there, man. People gotta be able to play it.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i tried to play AC 4A last night and was in pure bliss til the emulator locked up completely. i hope ac vi crushes so hard that bandai namco forces from software’s hand into remastering some of these games. they must be liberated

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

AtomikKrab posted:

The game informer notes the trash enemies are trash, thats the point, you are the one in a giant Fuckoff robot, the whole point of the trash is to chip away at your resources which you want to conserve for your epic boss fights

I can kind of see where the issue lies; since the missions in this game are going to be (at least most of them) significantly longer than most missions in AC have been previously, it becomes difficult to sort of keep noteworthy encounters in note. In previous AC games, individual missions were memorable due to their setup and what they ask you to do in them because they're overall pretty bitesize, where here you have pockets of trash stretched across a long level instead. The small fights won't matter as much because they don't constitute the whole mission.

Of course, this is all throwing away the fact that the level design itself is definitely going to be more interesting, and boss fights have been a relative rarity in the AC games to begin with, unless you count fighting other ACs (and in 4A and VD, arms forts,) boss fights. Fights that generally only last like 20 seconds to 3 minutes, still. Basically, I think what they're missing is that while yeah, you're losing out on that feel, you're gaining in others, and it's a net positive I bet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s gonna be funny when this game releases and it’s in fact a souls like

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestheHammer posted:

We'd definitely all be owned then

Async multiplayer in AC missions would be weird though

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Desperately trying to overboost my way to my pile of credits where I died so I can buy the Patches squat emote for my mech (I'm using quad legs that make it look extra silly)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

mdct posted:

Fights that generally only last like 20 seconds

Anjou:

Me:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's going to be another Stop Gang "Dark Soul" in this one just to gently caress with people

E: Stop Gang "Elden Ring"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

seek Pale Jets and transcend the mech

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Investigate mysterious message: "Try finger but hole"

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

There's going to be another Stop Gang "Dark Soul" in this one just to gently caress with people

E: Stop Gang "Elden Ring"

Stop Gang "Older Loop"

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

So ready to tank tread all over the place with the most missiles you can possibly cram onto a mech

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jeremor posted:

So ready to tank tread all over the place with the most missiles you can possibly cram onto a mech

Exactly like in Dark Souls.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Going to be fat rolling(on my treads) all over the place

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jeremor posted:

LMAO

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ROLLIN SOUL

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dark Rolls

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'm real glad FROM managed to keep this under wraps until basically the last minute by modern viddygame standards. No time for the hype train to jack people's hopes and expectations up too far

Jeremor posted:

PHAT
LEGS
MORE
DAKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester