Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

has america lost the war yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What am I missing? this was mildly funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

evilweasel posted:

It keeps the anti-air stuff away from the front lines.

Their entire plan seems to be to stall till NATO runs out of money or Trump gets elected, neither of which are likely to happen.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Their entire plan seems to be to stall till NATO runs out of money or Trump gets elected, neither of which are likely to happen.

Also just recently USA, UK, France and Germany were ironing out a deal among themselves to ensure that support would continue for the foreseeable future.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What am I missing? this was mildly funny.

Drive-by cspam, probably thread-banned or something

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Drive-by cspam, probably thread-banned or something

They've made a bunch of pro-Ukraine (or at least anti-Russia) posts itt, I think it's safe to assume it was a sarcastic commentary on Russian propaganda, a prominent topic in the past couple days.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1671662244893958144
Chris_O made a new thread concerning increasing numbers of desertions from the VDV.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

They've made a bunch of pro-Ukraine (or at least anti-Russia) posts itt, I think it's safe to assume it was a sarcastic commentary on Russian propaganda, a prominent topic in the past couple days.

Yeah, it's a comment on Russia considering the UAF entirely puppetmastered by the West and EU/America.

It might well be tongue-in-cheek satire about Russian copium, but Poe's Law sometimes meets Icarus distance, where the satire is taken as that which it satirizes.

A Poe's Icarus, if you will.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The moderation in gbs getting a wee bit silly.

I just caught a 6er for calling someone a fool, because that wasn't polite.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lammasu posted:

Keep in mind any Canadian politician who says that Ukraine doesn't need funding is committing political suicide. This is why even our hard right people are supporting Ukraine in the war.

(For context, there are millions of Ukrainian-Canadians and our pop is only 40 mil, so pissing off a large part of our voters is real dumb)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

At least it wasn’t 6 figgies

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Well that was a foolish thing to do.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

well, did you ask yourself "Am I making a post that is funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

zone posted:

Chris_O made a new thread concerning increasing numbers of desertions from the VDV.

Am I the only one who automatically goes to V:v:V whenever the VDV comes up?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine is crossing the Dniper as we speak. I will speak about this in the last paragraph, but I believe that this is key as establishing a beachhead or two on the other side of the river are important.

They are going for the Molochnyi Lyman. Which is melitpol.
Now as of today and last night it would appear that Ukraine is on a tactical pause. I assume this is from a surprising level of casualties and slow going of the offensive. Or it's to allow more forces to move up to the front.

Now what I'm interested to know more about is the fact that Ukraine has been destroying artillery systems for the past couple weeks but are also saying they're casualties are high. I mean those casualties have to be from something and I'm not sure that it's all infantry on infantry combat just yet because they haven't hit the Russians most fortified line in the area.

Now this could still be in the probing and response timing phase of an overall offensive but I am unsure that is the case. It seems like there's a bit of a stump that needs to be dislodged differently than Kharkiv or Kherson were.

Now if this is only a small part of the units dedicated to the offensive I can see why it's slow to progress. Ukraine may be playing it safe.

From looking at deep state maps they have done a solid push along the entire front of 10KM which is low compared to Kherson and Kharkiv at this time. But that was a far more momentum push than this. It's the last defense for Russia. They have nothing else worth while other than the lines Ukraine will be assaulting.

Now, for the most part the kherson side is hardly protected versus the Tokmak front. And dedicating 6 battalions to a river crossing, while daring could cause a back handed encirclement of melitpol which would dissolve the defensive ramparts that Ukraine has to walk through.

Now people have called the zapo line imagine not line and of course what do you do versus imagine a line? You avoid it.

It seemed crazy to attempt a river crossing of kherson but now that the reservoir is completely empty it is far easier to do so. Especially in the numbers that Ukraine could field. It would be the least expected thing and Russia definitely couldn't do it so they don't imagine anyone else could do it.

Now with a river crossing in mind if they can do it they will literally put melitpol in an untenable situation. And also my theory about a month ago discussing this counterattack would be that they were trying to stop Russian forces from evacuating to crimea. And this would do both in one fell swoop. As everyone who is south of the Ukrainian river crossing would go into Crimea but everyone north of it would be trapped on the donetsk side of the world and thus unable to redeploy to Crimea if the tempo is high enough to start placing anti-air as well as anti-ship missiles on the coastline.

We will have to see as the story progresses in this part of the line.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

You can't be happy about some Russian child murderers death but there's a thread for jerking off about some people dying in a sub but it's ok because one of them lived in the UAE.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Polidoro posted:

You can't be happy about some Russian child murderers death but there's a thread for jerking off about some people dying in a sub but it's ok because one of them lived in the UAE.

Just looking at the lepers colony should tell you all you need to know about what’s considered acceptable behavior on these forums at large.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Now people have called the zapo line imagine not line and of course what do you do versus imagine a line? You avoid it.

quote:

imagine not line

quote:

imagine a line

gigolo please youre killing me smalls

(its Maginot )

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 22, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

ukraine was already on the far side of the dnipro

Thank you but they are moving regular troops into hornostaivka.

Bit more than normal

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thank you but they are moving regular troops into hornostaivka.

Bit more than normal

The Dnipro being flooded right now makes the value of a river crossing pretty low in the short to medium term though. It would be useful as a natural barrier but not for conducting offensive operations. I don't think youre wrong about much else in the post but river crossings are already difficult under ideal conditions, I can't imagine a scenario where western kit gets used to do an unnecessary river crossing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

of many stupid things on rossiya-1, the Russia having freedom of movement bit has broken me

freedom of movement is why you managed to send physical mail halfway around the world to my wife and nephew for conscription-dodging and foreign agent, aka existing as a russian while outside Motherland, criminal charges right

right

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

The Dnipro being flooded right now makes the value of a river crossing pretty low in the short to medium term though. It would be useful as a natural barrier but not for conducting offensive operations. I don't think youre wrong about much else in the post but river crossings are already difficult under ideal conditions, I can't imagine a scenario where western kit gets used to do an unnecessary river crossing

You know I tend to agree with you completely but I wonder if we would be arguing that Operation overlord would never happen because of the level of difficulty associated with such a an invasion. I'm not comparing that to this in any strategic sense but I do see an invasion through a river as one of the things that everyone is doubting would ever happen. So it's something that could happen because it's just so surprising

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 22, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

They briefly managed to get him banned for "doxxing" the boy-genius who leaked US military secrets on discord, though that ban was later reversed.

IIRC it was even more stupid than that, they were clearly uncomfortable with him but couldn't really ban him for what he posted, so a mod or admin went through his post history a bit and they banned him for some old post "promoting his company" (by posting a bellingcat article which was relevant to the thread) but because it was technically self promotion it was technically against the rules. It was very very sad.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1671739307655135232?s=20

I lust for bridge death. :getin:

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

spankmeister posted:

IIRC it was even more stupid than that, they were clearly uncomfortable with him but couldn't really ban him for what he posted, so a mod or admin went through his post history a bit and they banned him for some old post "promoting his company" (by posting a bellingcat article which was relevant to the thread) but because it was technically self promotion it was technically against the rules. It was very very sad.

it’s because the admins of the something awful forums are dipshits who listen to bad faith tankie posters in SAD because they are themselves tankie dipshits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unfortunate news for Ukraine - As much of 30 percent of Kyiv’s arsenal is under repair at any given time — a high rate, defense experts said, for a military that needs every weapon it can get for its developing counteroffensive. Furthermore, the government in Kyiv has grown weary of being told that it has enough Western weapons, when some arrive in poor or unusable condition, relegated from combat to be cannibalized for parts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/world/europe/ukraine-weapons-howitzers-contracts.html

New York Times
In Rush to Arm Ukraine, Weapons Are Bought but Not Delivered, or Too Broken to Use

By Justin Scheck and Lara Jakes
Reporting from Kyiv, Ukraine, and Rome
June 19, 2023

Ukraine has paid contractors hundreds of millions of dollars for weapons that have not been delivered, and some of the much-publicized arms donated by its allies have been so decrepit that they were deemed fit only to be cannibalized for spare parts.

Ukrainian government documents show that as of the end of last year, Kyiv had paid arms suppliers more than $800 million since the Russian invasion in February 2022 for contracts that went completely or partly unfulfilled.

Two people involved in Ukraine’s arms purchasing said that some of the missing weapons had eventually been delivered, and that in other cases brokers had refunded the money. But as of early this spring, hundreds of millions of dollars had been paid — including to state-owned companies — for arms never materialized, one of these people said.

“We did have cases where we paid money and we didn’t receive,” Volodymyr Havrylov, a deputy defense minister working on arms procurement, said in a recent interview. He said the government this year had begun analyzing its past purchases and excluding problematic contractors.

Many of the transfers from Western allies have involved modern weapons like American air defense systems that have proven highly effective against Russian drones and missiles. But in other cases allies have provided stockpiled equipment that, at best, needed extensive overhauls.

As much of 30 percent of Kyiv’s arsenal is under repair at any given time — a high rate, defense experts said, for a military that needs every weapon it can get for its developing counteroffensive.

A recent delivery of 33 self-propelled howitzers donated by the Italian government provides a case in point. Videos showed smoke billowing from the engine of one, and engine coolant leaking from another.

Italy’s Defense Ministry said in a statement that the vehicles had been decommissioned years ago but that Ukraine had asked for them anyway, “to be overhauled and put into operation, given the urgent need for means to face the Russian aggression.”

Ukrainian government documents show that its Defense Ministry paid $19.8 million to an American arms dealer, the Tampa-based Ultra Defense Corporation, to have the 33 howitzers repaired. In January, 13 of those howitzers were shipped to Ukraine but arrived “not suitable for combat missions,” according to one of the documents.

Officials in Kyiv accused the American company of failing to finish a job that was supposed to be completed by late December. “The American company, offering its services, had no prior intention to fulfill its obligations,” Ukraine’s defense procurement director, Volodymyr Pikuzo, wrote in a Feb. 3 letter to the Pentagon’s inspector general.

Matthew Herring, the company’s chief executive, strongly denied the accusation. “Every single one of them worked when we delivered them,” he wrote in a text message this month, saying that the Ukrainians had not properly maintained the howitzers after they were handed over. That included the one with a coolant leak, which he said had “magically appeared after delivery in Ukraine.”

Ukrainian officials have mostly refrained from complaining about broken equipment, so as not to embarrass their benefactors. “There were issues of quality to some of the howitzers, but we have to keep in mind that it was a gift,” Mr. Havrylov said.

But the government in Kyiv has grown weary, another senior Ukrainian official said, of being told that it has enough Western weapons, when some arrive in poor or unusable condition, relegated from combat to be cannibalized for parts.

The documents obtained by The New York Times, generated by a government audit this year, showed that some of the most valuable sets of undelivered contracts are between the Defense Ministry and state-owned Ukrainian arms companies that function as independent brokers. In recent months, the ministry has sued at least two of those state firms over unfulfilled contracts, and Ukraine recently announced overhauls aimed at making those companies more efficient.

There have been problems with Western-donated equipment as well, which contributed to some of its being delivered so belatedly or unpredictably as to complicate planning for Ukraine’s counteroffensive.

A Pentagon inspector general’s report released in late May illustrates some of the problems.

Last summer, an American Army unit was ordered to ship 29 Humvees to Ukraine from a depot at Camp Arifjan, a base in Kuwait. Although the unit’s leaders had previously said that all but one of the Humvees were “fully mission capable,” an initial inspection after the orders were received revealed that 26 of them were too broken for combat, according to the Pentagon report.

By late August, contractors had repaired transmissions, dead batteries, fluid leaks, broken lights, door latches and seatbelts on the Humvees, and reported that all 29 were ready for Ukraine. The work was verified by the Army unit in Kuwait.

But when the Humvees reached a staging base in Poland, officials found that the tires on 25 of them were rotten. It took nearly a month to find enough replacement tires, which “delayed the shipment of other equipment to Ukraine and required significant labor and time,” the Pentagon report found.

The same Army unit in Kuwait was also supposed to send six M777 howitzers to Ukraine just weeks after the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion. As it turned out, however, the howitzers “required extensive maintenance” before they could be shipped, because they had gone without regular service checks for 19 months, the Pentagon report found.

At least one was in such bad shape that it “would have killed somebody” trying to use it, inspectors concluded in March 2022.

Three months later, the howitzers had been repaired and shipped to the staging center in Poland. But officials there still concluded that all six “had faults that made them non-mission capable,” the Pentagon audit found. They were repaired in Poland before being sent to Ukraine.

Some weapons systems are either so scarce or so vulnerable to breaking down that Ukraine has welcomed at least some of the faulty Western equipment as a source of parts.

In January, Britain’s defense secretary, Ben Wallace, announced the planned transfer of self-propelled AS-90 howitzers to Ukraine, including some in “varying states of readiness.” Twelve required Ukraine “to either refurbish or exploit for spares,” the British Defense Ministry said in a statement in March.

The senior Ukrainian official confirmed that they were needed to supply spare parts for others.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Get hosed. This, coupled with the other logistics hits recently, should really put the squeeze on their ammo supplies.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To be honest 30% sounds pretty good compared to the state of some of European militaries. I do hope more actually working modern equipment is sent instead of 60 year old crap anyway though.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

zone posted:

Always reads a bit like the "increasingly isolated" tweets about trump from times back.

I really hope the russian army will collapse further but they seem to be able to still function sufficiently for stalling ukranian progress.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1671747987327045632?s=20

Have to say, I was expecting more extensive damage when he wrote the bridge was "blown up". :saddowns:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

beer_war posted:

Have to say, I was expecting more extensive damage when he wrote the bridge was "blown up". :saddowns:

you'd be surprised how little of a bridge you need to physically damage to make it completely unsafe and unusable for military vehicles, which tend to be heavier than civilian traffic from being armored. in this bridge's case, its ability to hold load of a convoy of trucks each weighing (let's use KAMAZ trucks as an example, they're common enough) 12 tons, with each truck holding up to just under 10 tons of cargo each, may be severely compromised by a strike like that. Wanna risk your supply convoy tumbling into the black sea and losing the bridge entirely? Or do you want to shut it down for traffic while you repair it, and possibly eat more attacks on the bridge? Each outcome has the same effect of harming your frontline troops and reducing the supply throughput to your forward positions and reduces your effectiveness in defense. However, you now also have a Dilemma, which is separate from a Problem. A Problem has a solution which removes the issue. A Dilemma means that no matter what you do to solve it, you now have additional problem(s) you wouldn't have had to deal with before. It puts you into a situation of being basically hosed no matter what you do, so the choice becomes how hosed you want to be and in which way you're most prepared to handle it. It's never a good thing. And Zaluzhnyy will be looking to create as many of these dilemmas as possible leading up to and during the counteroffensive.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 22, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
it's nice from Russian media they're providing such detailed bomb damage assessment to Ukrainian side, video of damaged part, both bridges were struck

https://twitter.com/MalcontentmentT/status/1671764741025587201

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Esplanade posted:

Am I the only one who automatically goes to V:v:V whenever the VDV comes up?

V:shrug:V

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

I had a friend who grew up as one of eight siblings in Pennsylvania coal country. He described a game they invented called, "swing brick", a variation on dodgeball. Tie a brick to the rope swing out back, then take turns running back and forth in front of the tree while each child in turn swung a brick at your head.

After one day playing this game, they all ended up with an egg on their forehead and one very angry Momma. Dad came home and was tasked with punishing the children. Figuring they'd learned their lesson, Dad lined them up against the bannister and clapped his hands very hard behind each child, coaching them to cry out in surprise with each clap.

I hope this anecdote goes some way towards explaining the situation we find ourselves in now.

yeah, this absolutely tracks with coal country.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

beer_war posted:

My dad would fix this with some beams and drywall.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

bratwurst massage posted:

I dunno how my dad would fix it but I know beyond a storm shadow of a doubt that it would somehow become my fault that it broke in the first place

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bratwurst massage posted:

So in other words he's grossly overqualified to be a Russian military engineer

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1671790854812450817
Suck it up, Sally. You can always set up a caravan of mobiks to transport your things a few at a time in cars or on bikes.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great news for Ukraine - Russia has lost 222,650 troops, 4,013 tanks, 7,783 armored fighting vehicles, 6,678 vehicles and fuel tanks, 3,941 artillery systems, 617 multiple launch rocket systems, 376 air defense systems, 314 airplanes, 307 helicopters, 3,438 drones, and 18 boats in Ukraine since the beginning of its full-scale invasion.

https://kyivindependent.com/general-staff-russia-has-lost-208-910-troops-in-ukraine-6/

General Staff: Russia has lost 222,650 troops in Ukraine
by The Kyiv Independent news desk
June 22, 2023 9:29 AM

The General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces reported on June 22 that Russia has lost 222,650 troops in Ukraine since the beginning of its full-scale invasion, with an estimated 650 casualties on June 21.

According to the report, Russia has also lost 4,013 tanks, 7,783 armored fighting vehicles, 6,678 vehicles and fuel tanks, 3,941 artillery systems, 617 multiple launch rocket systems, 376 air defense systems, 314 airplanes, 307 helicopters, 3,438 drones, and 18 boats.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fizzy posted:

https://kyivindependent.com/general-staff-russia-has-lost-208-910-troops-in-ukraine-6/
The General Staff of Ukraine's Armed Forces reported on June 22 that Russia has lost 222,650 troops in Ukraine since the beginning of its full-scale invasion, with an estimated 650 casualties on June 21.

Fuckin hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And before someone jumps in screaming "propaganda" that estimate of 222650 is not only dead, it also includes missing, major injuries, and captured.