Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm pretty sure the bolting is required just to hold the gaskets in place with enough pressure.
E: They're likely metal gaskets
EE: :69snypa:

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
our store wasted no time today

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Good night thread. I'll see you all in the morning after the air runs out.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all you really need if you're gonna bolt people in is an independently powered backup locator beacon of some kind in case the primary communication method fails and you still manage to surface. like a radio beacon with its own battery, isolated from all other electronics.

radio won't help locate them underwater, but realistically if a vehicle like this gets stuck and can't surface or has a fire, they're boned no matter what.

e: also, it's possible they do/did have something like this, we just don't know

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 22, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ComfyPants posted:

Oh poo poo

Oh poo poo I haven’t launched VS in a while hell yeah

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

I'm so basic I have Nick Cutter's The Deep in my shopping cart since yesterday

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Axel Serenity posted:

Should have added “In the Heart of the Sea” although those guys had oxygen it’s a similar vibe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

all you really need if you're gonna bolt people in is an independently powered backup locator beacon of some kind in case the primary communication method fails and you still manage to surface. like a radio beacon with its own battery, isolated from all other electronics.

radio won't help locate them underwater, but realistically if a vehicle like this gets stuck and can't surface, they're boned no matter what.

Honestly it's all on them for skimping on the standard emergency equipment (oh texting will be enough) WTF??? Getting stuck is obviously always the risk even in a proper submersible, anything can go wrong. That's why they're usually remote these days.

I forget which crew does it but they do livestreams of deep submersible stuff, absolutely fun to watch as they poke around at fish in the deep.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Axel Serenity posted:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the 🐐, my favorite novel as a kid.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

:lmao:
:five:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a curious quirk of this situation that the O2 timer is such a hard deadline. Like, there can't be any speculation about how they maybe made it to the surface because it doesn't matter. They're bolted in from the outside and can't egress without help.

Is that a common thing for submarines?

No, the whole "stick people in an enclose space without ventilation that can only be opened from the outside" thing was identified as an engineering problem over 50 years ago in the Apollo 1 program when during testing a fire broke out in the capsule and even with the issue being immediately reported to command and workers outside immediately coming over to unseal the hatch, the entire crew died of heat and smoke inhalation. Real submarines not made by corner-cutting dipshits will usually have something like explosive bolts or other ways for the crew to egress without external support. They'll also usually have some manner of external ventilation and/or emergency masks the crew can put on to receive a positive oxygen flow if they cannot get rid of smoke/toxins/etc.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Submersibles for that depth, yes.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe we shouldn't be sending squishy humans that deep underwater.

Crazy, I know.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

v. good picks, good range
hell yeah for
Endurance
Moby-Dick
The Terror
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

Innovation and the Future of Crewed Submersibles
OceanGate was founded to expand access to shallow and deep water environments through the next generation of crewed submersible solutions. Over the past four years, OceanGate’s engineering and research team has spent considerable time and financial resources on the design, development and construction of submersible assets for client use in subsea programs. We currently operate a fleet of the five-person submersibles: Antipodes, Cyclops 1 and Titan, each equipped with unique features to help our clients achieve their mission objectives.

In addition to our crewed submersible assets, OceanGate’s engineering team has developed a patented launch and recovery platform, which increases mission flexibility by providing a standalone option for deployment when ship time is limited. The platform program utilizes our engineering expertise to expand our solutions for a variety of budgets and sea states.

With safe, low impact to the environment, quality and cost-efficient solutions, our goal is to deliver crewed submersible programs that allow our clients to make better connections and informed decisions related to their deep water missions.

Benefits of Our Crewed Submersibles:
Reduced cost of deployment and increased mission flexibility, each submersible can be containerized and shipped anywhere in the world by land, sea or air.
Zero tether management issues.
Ability to work off any ship of opportunity.
Eyes on site: OceanGate’s crewed submersible solutions permit real-time modifications to test profiles, onsite visual reconnaissance and dynamic multi stakeholder assessments.
Flexible configuration to allow add on technology and equipment specific for each client engagement
Deployed as a single source solution or in tandem with AUVs, ROVs and other underwater vehicles and data collection programs

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Lol grim
https://twitter.com/TitanicSub?t=QNsTU8iGuGxjQWkAM4FulQ&s=09

https://twitter.com/TitanicSub/status/1671752373629485062?t=jDP2cvaNf3pbGEzUQ0LbYQ&s=19

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Jawnxwick/status/1671752928934211587

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Still the old time estimate from yesterday
Needs to be updated, they aren't accepting PM's smh.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
They killed the captain which gained them 4 hrs cmon

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well once I sleep this kill mersible will basically be halfway old news.

Sad stuff.

Anyway I need to immortalize this thread in my rap sheet to remember it and have a giggle later.

CUNTMERSIBLE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I still say that this might resemble Heavens Gate more than the other -gates.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The submarine tried to get as far away from pride month as possible decided to stay until July 1st

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

EngineerJoe posted:

My memorial

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's already well into night, there won't be any useful searching of the surface going on now.

the last hope was spotting them on the surface before sundown today and it didn't happen. they're hosed (and probably have been dead since sunday anyway).

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I think my post history has memorialized it enough for myself. May the posts get lost in the annals of the interwebs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Spinz posted:

They killed the captain which gained them 4 hrs cmon

The captain hit his head falling on that controller, repeatedly, all by himself. :colbert:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Axel Serenity posted:

Hell yeah, Endurance! I got in trouble once for reading this book instead of paying attention during a class I didn't like in high school. What an incredible story.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

The captain hit his head falling on that controller, repeatedly, all by himself. :colbert:

I think they'd be in the clear anyway, the special maritime jurisdiction only counts for crimes committed on the high seas, not under the high seas.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think they'd be in the clear anyway, the special maritime jurisdiction only counts for crimes committed on the high seas, not under the high seas.

One weird trick to circumvent maritime law. SEA PATROL HATES IT!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Titanic really is going to be the underwater version of Everest, isn't it? The death rate up there doesn't stop them. If anything, more people will want to build their own subs with Amazon and Home Depot parts and prove that "well, just because these dudes died a horrible death doesn't mean I will!"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Neeksy posted:

I'm starting to feel like reality has just turned into Umineko, but at the bottom of the sea.

Hi I just wanted to say I appreciate this reference

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

The fact that this is what humanity has decided to join forces on, pumping out some of the best content we've seen in ages is both heartening and depressing all at once.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thank you, Grey Cat.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
genuine question; if this thing undergoes total implosion, and carbon fiber tends to just shatter, what's the likelihood of any poo poo actually showing up at the surfce in anything other than random bits of scraps?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

lol

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Samovar posted:

Thank you, Grey Cat.

Shitposting of the people, BY the people, FOR the people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So do we mark them down as new passengers on the Titanic or

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is this going to end like that one episode of Evangelion where Shinji gets trapped inside an angel, and then Unit 01 rips its way out all covered in blood?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Captain Gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Szechwan posted:

The fact that this is what humanity has decided to join forces on, pumping out some of the best content we've seen in ages is both heartening and depressing all at once.

There's really something about this all that encapsulates the times we're living in.