Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ty for the rear end slap papi

e: top of page zero regrets 420 goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Things are so bad in the United States that the mere act of education and agitation is revolutionary activity. Just the basic brass tacks of building a movement has to be done first before anything illegal even needs to be considered.

America is only 5% if the worlds population and they’re completely a captured audience. the revolution will not be starting in America nor will it be led by Americans. the best thing Americans can do today to help the future revolution is constant sabotage of the American systems to weaken it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im gonna vote for the harm reduction candidate (donald trump)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

jesus i always thought the same as you

potato and oil probably make up 95% of it though

Don't worry Ukraine is (was) the 5th largest potato source in the world too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

good news for ukraine, they're winning

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Don't worry Ukraine is (was) the 5th largest potato source in the world too.

i wonder if the US has ever imported a single potato

quote:

In March 2023 United States' Potatoes exports accounted up to $25M and imports accounted up to $57.1M, resulting in a negative trade balance of $32.1M.

man what the gently caress

must be canada

edit nice

quote:

In December 2022 Canada's Potatoes exports accounted up to C$62.6M and imports accounted up to C$5.18M, resulting in a positive trade balance of C$57.4M.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not to derail with grain and potato chat (though kind of relevant as a serious food security issue) but a Pringle is about 42 percent potato and so unhealthy I would call them negative food value.

Nevertheless a good example of a common food product I expect to be heavily price impacted due to material scarcity as time goes on.

Whoever wins gets to eat.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the poutine will be the death of canada

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i love hugging and kissing poutin

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vomik posted:

America is only 5% if the worlds population and they’re completely a captured audience. the revolution will not be starting in America nor will it be led by Americans. the best thing Americans can do today to help the future revolution is constant sabotage of the American systems to weaken it

This is true and also seems to be the statement that gets the soft-left angriest, like the idea that the west doesn't have the most potential for a workers government & will at best be a footnote is obscene

Look even though we've accomplished absolutely nothing, are severely divided, have spent decades denouncing every other international movement when the democrats want us to, and are completely infiltrated, doesn't mean a freaking chinaman is gonna beat us to true communism!!!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the french trying to freedom fries 'poutine' was pretty funny

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Posting from four pages back, but it seems like even if we agree that there is no path to anti-imperialism via the ballot box, Americans as a whole still bear responsibility for not doing the needful when it comes to enacting political change outside of it.

As someone from the third world, it doesn't particularly bother me WHY you think your country can't stop killing my people, only that you still haven't stopped doing so.

Largely for the same reason you haven't overthrown American imperialism yourself. They got a poo poo ton of guns and no moral compunctions against shooting me if I become a nuisance. Im not sure to what extent you kept up with the 2020 protests in America, but an attempt was made to change the system through protest and some direct action, and the cops were gleeful about enacting violence in response. The American ruling class is astoundingly good at repressing its own citizens through a mix of culture war, propaganda, co-opting, illusion of choice, and good old fashioned violence.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Not to derail with grain and potato chat (though kind of relevant as a serious food security issue) but a Pringle is about 42 percent potato and so unhealthy I would call them negative food value.

Nevertheless a good example of a common food product I expect to be heavily price impacted due to material scarcity as time goes on.

Whoever wins gets to eat.

grainwaves have a 4 star health rating

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Largely for the same reason you haven't overthrown American imperialism yourself. They got a poo poo ton of guns and no moral compunctions against shooting me if I become a nuisance. Im not sure to what extent you kept up with the 2020 protests in America, but an attempt was made to change the system through protest and some direct action, and the cops were gleeful about enacting violence in response. The American ruling class is astoundingly good at repressing its own citizens through a mix of culture war, propaganda, co-opting, illusion of choice, and good old fashioned violence.

youtubers are the vanguard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcgZkiqZB0

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CODChimera posted:

sun chips are loving disgusting

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I thought pringles were like potato particle board, are they actually wheat??

They could try voting for not Hitler!!!

Pringles are the result of a *years* long project to engineer the perfect potato based chip. First they came up with the perfect shape for a chip, the hyperbolic paraboloid, that maximized strength and stackability, and then spent several more years trying to make a potato based fried dough that could be shaped into the paraboloid not taste like poo poo. Legally they are not allowed to be called a potato chip in the US outside of the specific phrase "potato chips made from dried potatoes".

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

not trying to speak for gradenko here, but last I checked the philippines have had an armed communist insurgency going on for five decades.

america cried and went back to applebees as soon as the state started to exert the slightest amount of violence.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

They give me runny shits, but I'll eat them unlike pringles

Nix Panicus posted:

Pringles are the result of a *years* long project to engineer the perfect potato based chip. First they came up with the perfect shape for a chip, the hyperbolic paraboloid, that maximized strength and stackability, and then spent several more years trying to make a potato based fried dough that could be shaped into the paraboloid not taste like poo poo. Legally they are not allowed to be called a potato chip in the US outside of the specific phrase "potato chips made from dried potatoes".

Horrifying

Comrade Koba posted:

not trying to speak for gradenko here, but last I checked the philippines have had an armed communist insurgency going on for five decades.

america cried and went back to applebees as soon as the state started to exert the slightest amount of violence.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Philippines government's ability to assassinate the gently caress out of you and discredit your entire movement is a tiny, pathetic shadow of the multispectrum strength the US can bring to bear on the same problem

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

It wasnt just the violence. It was also the two party political system completely sucking the energy out of the room and redirecting it towards electoralism. The democrats not only won the election with a babbling candidate who struggles to string two coherent sentences together, they also took control of both chambers of Congress in the face of aggressive voter suppression. They proceeded to give the cops more money, blame protestors for being violent, and reinforced the stranglehold of the ruling class. People accepted this because they have been trained, over decades, to expect nothing better.

I think the main difference here is that the ruling class of the Philippines sucks poo poo at maintaining control.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Russian food is imperialist, anyway.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Philippines government's ability to assassinate the gently caress out of you and discredit your entire movement is a tiny, pathetic shadow of the multispectrum strength the US can bring to bear on the same problem

Yeah, worth noting that all that Jakarta Method or Maidan coup poo poo is not reserved solely for maintaining imperial hegemony abroad. All of those tools are used at home with far greater reach and impact

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Russian food is imperialist, anyway.

again with the reaction that is so massively out of step with the supposed threat: Putin is going to "plunder and obliterate" Ukraine. Time to rename borsch.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm not sure "minorities are just cowards who don't want to stop their own oppression by the state bad enough" is a winning take, but keep on conflating american stereotypes I guess

it's deeply stupid to present state control as starting and stopping at violence when the thing that keeps violence as a reserve tactic in the US is the deeply embedded systemic rifts that aren't just being accidentally used to subvert social unrest like the 2020 protests

The337th has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Jun 22, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's ominously titled as a "long read", which implies the author goes on at interminable length about their ambiguous feelings for Borsch, and how Putin's ruined it for them.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

woe is you, the tragic american leftist

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

yellowcar posted:

woe is you, the tragic american leftist

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's ominously titled as a "long read", which implies the author goes on at interminable length about their ambiguous feelings for Borsch, and how Putin's ruined it for them.

skimmed through it a bit and had some laughs. best one was seeing the name of the author: Anya von Bremzen

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yellowcar posted:

american leftist

yeah there's another thing that's about as meaningless to try and identify as some imaginary american uprising to save the world from itself

the american left is so ideologically poisoned, compromised, and captured that it took one look at the invasion this thread is about and yelled out a patriotic Slava Ukraine!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The337th posted:

yeah there's another thing that's about as meaningless to try and identify as some imaginary american uprising to save the world from itself

i wouldn't put that responsibility on anyone tbh

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also i would never decry any of you as "doomers" or "nihilists" for being unable to anything because you can't do poo poo

that'd be unfair

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
did the war end or something, what is going on

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

US imperialism is such a uniquely evil and powerful force in the world that we must reconcile its role and greater blame in an imperialist action by the Russian state, and the concerns of the US once again potentially achieving its domineering aims in global oppression of entire regions

but also, why doesn't someone just casually overthrow it domestically already, how deeply rooted could it possibly be?

e: maybe the americans just hadn't heard such a thing was possible yet, someone should tell them to put down the cheeseburger and do something

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i give the jan 6 people a 'B-' for effort

and also it made me laugh

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Jan. 6 was a good example of how completely unthreatening to power one of the major political bases is

just let them have a casual playdate in the hallowed halls of power, so long as they don't touch the forbidden door

the other major political base exists solely to scold, corral, and redirect any movement that actually would be nominally threatening, as shown in 2020

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The USA has one of the most brutal and biased 'justice' systems and imprisons more of its population than any other nation on the planet. The poor have no safety net and are entirely at the mercy of their employers, and our society is trained to despise their existence. Our political systems are a sham with no real possibility of change. Our state surveillance apparatus is omnipresent and civil rights leaders who arent already captured by the state have a shocking tendency to commit suicide with bound hands in burning cars. Internet leftism is basically the only thing thats tolerated. Freedom is posting on a message board. Actual political organizing gets infiltrated by the cops or reported to your employer.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, it finally happened. a derail to surpass mlp

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fits my needs posted:

did the war end or something, what is going on

When it gets too quiet we play the left's favorite game: circular firing squad. Today, we're discussing how US imperialism only applies abroad, and it should be easy for American leftists to overthrow the government and stop all the bad things from happening because we're flush with power and wealth harvested from the imperial periphery, which as you're well aware gets evenly distributed to all Americans, especially the leftists.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Last Castle is the most revolutionary movie ever made

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

When it gets too quiet we play the left's favorite game: circular firing squad. Today, we're discussing how US imperialism only applies abroad, and it should be easy for American leftists to overthrow the government and stop all the bad things from happening because we're flush with power and wealth harvested from the imperial periphery, which as you're well aware gets evenly distributed to all Americans, especially the leftists.

lmao it all started as just a matter-of-fact "all americans are culpable in the imperial project whether they consciously want to or not" statement which is true.

the fact that it turned into this loving wounded animal "abloo bloo bloo im just smol bean uwu" act for some reason is beyond me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bedpan posted:

again with the reaction that is so massively out of step with the supposed threat: Putin is going to "plunder and obliterate" Ukraine. Time to rename borsch.

Well, do you think they should just leave borsch named after the land of GENOCIDERS?!