Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

cat botherer posted:

Last time I was in a black cab in London, the cabbie explained to me how:
a) The UK has the strongest military in the world.
b) He was planning on taking this Polish girl to Hyde Park with the hopes that he could gently caress her in the bushes.

You're not supposed to actually dial the faketaxi number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Diet Crack posted:

You're not supposed to actually dial the faketaxi number

loving lmao and also, new thread title please mods.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I reckon those shows are all staged, tbh.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is cash cab still on

I’d rather have a go in the cash cab

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pistol_Pete posted:

they wouldn't just lie like that

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Faketaxi guy might well be a real cabbie judging by how he never loving shuts up

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Next you'll be telling me that she isn't really stuck in the tumble dryer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s only really struck me today how utterly hosed it is that multiple countries have sent an absolute fortune in hardware and person-hours to try and find these 5 dipshits who shut themselves in a death trap and sank it to the bottom of the ocean and that’s seen as a perfectly normal and reasonable response instead of just saying “well gently caress those idiots they should have known what they were getting into” like they do about certain other seagoing people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or to look at it from the opposite direction, an excellent demonstration of how much the state can do to help people in an illegal small boat, as long as they're billionaires.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think it speaks to our humanity that we still try to save people no matter how obscenely wealthy they might be

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s only really struck me today how utterly hosed it is that multiple countries have sent an absolute fortune in hardware and person-hours to try and find these 5 dipshits who shut themselves in a death trap and sank it to the bottom of the ocean and that’s seen as a perfectly normal and reasonable response instead of just saying “well gently caress those idiots they should have known what they were getting into” like they do about certain other seagoing people

If they find them, there'll be hell to pay, and they can afford it.

Who am I kidding. The company will go bankrupt and the bazillionaires will get a slap on the wrist, go home, and then eat a nice rump steak.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think it speaks to our humanity that we still try to save people no matter how obscenely wealthy they might be

700 migrants died this week while the greek coast guard knew about it and ignored it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

700 migrants died this week while the greek coast guard knew about it and ignored it.

how importance is calculated in western society:

5 idiots x £1,000,000,000 net worth = tragedy
700 migrants x £0 net worth = statistic

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

:wrong: but also try harder

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CatNeilan/status/1671468292383358976

:allears:

e: bonus tweet

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1671577806969479173

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 22, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I hope the thread will not mind me marking the passing of noted lefty historian - and also my dad - Willie Thompson. He wrote a book or two that some might be interested in (NB, if you see Google calling him a Northern Irish Unionist politician, that was some other fucker).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sorry about your dad, he sounds like a very good egg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Albinator posted:

I hope the thread will not mind me marking the passing of noted lefty historian - and also my dad - Willie Thompson. He wrote a book or two that some might be interested in (NB, if you see Google calling him a Northern Irish Unionist politician, that was some other fucker).

I think many of us would have wished for such a seemingly cool oldfella, sorry for your loss mate, keep up the good work in his name

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Albinator posted:

Sorry for your loss mate, he seems like a real cool and good guy.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yes. Definitely a sausage

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

i hate it when i get a hot dog and the bun is way too short. this artist understands the pressures of modern life

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Albinator posted:

Your dad sounds rad, sorry for your loss.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Elliot Ball, expert Sausage Identifier

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

WorkSexPower looks interesting, I'll give it a bash]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Albinator posted:

Sorry for your loss :smith:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

Genius

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Albinator posted:

My condolences.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Albinator posted:

My condolences.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Such is the duality of this thread that someone posts about their father's passing and the replies are a mix of condolences and a pothole knob.

Albinator posted:

My condolences and seems he really was a good'un.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Tesseraction posted:

Such is the duality of this thread that someone posts about their father's passing and the replies are a mix of condolences and a pothole knob.

It’s what he would have wanted, probably? It’s what I’d want. Deceased goondad genuinely was a really top bloke, if you look him up he had a list of lefty credentials (redentials?) as long as your arm a giant Plymouth pavement knob.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This interview with the Lib Dem candidate in Somerton and Frome is incredible

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2023/jun/22/fromes-byelection-battle-head-or-heart-politics-weekly-uk

Go from about 15 minutes in to hear the total collapse under very normal questions.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

This interview with the Lib Dem candidate in Somerton and Frome is incredible

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/audio/2023/jun/22/fromes-byelection-battle-head-or-heart-politics-weekly-uk

Go from about 15 minutes in to hear the total collapse under very normal questions.

I didn't skip because I wanted the context of the people of Frome (the care worker my own age certainly struck a chord) but I just got to the 16 minute mark and I've already had him ask a simple question

Interviewer: "What about mortgages, the day to day cost of living?"
LibDem: (to her press officer) "oh I don't know about that"
Interviewer: "But the housing situation in Frome, and Somerset more widely?"
LibDem: (cavernous silence)

Gonna need a coffee for the rest of this lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The questions at around 14:30 made me think it was going to turn a bit hostile but no the lib dem candidate just kinda stops working.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And in contrast he interviews the Green candidate who is knowledgeable, personable, and exudes a reasonable amount of confidence in his ability - he knows he's cycling uphill but cares enough to try.

In general I like John Harris, he's one of the few Grauniad journos who doesn't just wait on talking points from the Labour right.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

The questions at around 14:30 made me think it was going to turn a bit hostile but no the lib dem candidate just kinda stops working.
"I was promised a cushy job with my own office, I didn't realise I would have to actually think about or know things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

My condolences and seems he really was a good'un.

I apologise for interrupting goondolences with a crudely drawn cock. RIP to your dad OP, he sounds like a good chap