Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

You do both dude. And legislate stricter protections for renters (which also happens in Europe); and stricter regulations to prevent that sort of collision from happening. Give the government the right to conscript any property that is vacant for more than x months to house the homeless for eg.

Even if we build a bunch of houses and drive prices down to 80s levels of proportionate cost there are always going to be people who need or prefer to rent.

There are multiple different lines of reform needed to solve the housing crisis; and shifting tenants from a nuisance to be tolerated to a customer that is fundamental to your business model and needs to be wooed to do business with you is an important component of that reform.

Or we don't fight an escalating regulatory war with BTR businesses (whose only motivation is profit, and don't give a single poo poo about people being housed) and just build social housing, yeah? We don't need to include a business making a profit off people having somewhere to loving live.

I'm not saying there should be no rentals, I'm saying that the government should be building and owning the majority of them. I'm also saying that Labor's policy of tax incentives for BTR landlords alone with none of the other reforms you are talking about is a bad policy.

JBP posted:

If you want to public-private it you'd be better off co-funding medium and high density that is only owner occupier with some funding for low income buyers that's better than poo poo like only needing a 5% deposit. I also can't really see us creating legislation that promotes or mandates long term leases which are the key aspect to European rentals afaik

Yeah, if you must go for private/public then this is the way to do it. Why would you choose to include some business as a middleman taking a cut?

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Why would you choose to include some business as a middleman taking a cut?

Because all their mates happen to own businesses that want a cut.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Get 10 percent off your rent when you subscribe to Everyday Rewards+.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Get 10 percent off your rent when you subscribe to Everyday Rewards+.

It would be the other way round. 10% off every shop when you rent at Wesfarmers Towers

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I just wish instead of giving build to rent tax breaks we’d just remove the capital gains and negative gearing tax breaks instead which is why we have so many owner-investors.

Neither will help any renters any time the next five years anyway.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

trunkh posted:

It would be the other way round. 10% off every shop when you rent at Wesfarmers Towers

Get an even bigger discount when you volunteer work hours.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/jun/22/insiders-the-only-abc-current-affairs-show-to-grow-broadcast-audience-as-qa-numbers-collapse

People stopped watching Q+A for some reason.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

hooman posted:

We don't need to include a business making a profit off people having somewhere to loving live.

Neo-liberalism is going to have something to say about that... and neo-liberalism is all we do now.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I stopped watching because it was bad for my health.

BTR just feels like more neoliberal bullshit, and does not address the current issues. The housing crisis isn't being caused by a total lack of housing, it's being caused by a lack of a certain type of housing. No one is BTR low income housing, that's a terrible business model. That's why we need to insist the government take on the role. And the countries we should be looking to for our model of social housing aren't European nations, but countries like Singapore.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

I just wish instead of giving build to rent tax breaks we’d just remove the capital gains and negative gearing tax breaks instead which is why we have so many owner-investors.

Neither will help any renters any time the next five years anyway.

They probably would. Parasitic landlords arent going to hold onto an asset when its costing them money with no hope of that ever changing.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

after hearing so much about how nobody can find early childhood staff due to the pay, i decided to take a look at what early childhood education jobs in my area are actually offering and - holy poo poo, sixteen dollars an hour :psyduck: (up to a maximum of $22 for experienced and qualified staff, which is kind of even worse)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

They probably would. Parasitic landlords arent going to hold onto an asset when its costing them money with no hope of that ever changing.

If they made changes to capital gains tax discount / negative gearing (they won’t, look at the stage 3 cuts lol) they would be grandfathered in, no way would they apply to people who’d made investment decisions for millions of dollars on expectation of the fat capital gain. It would be gradual and take twenty years.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Konomex posted:

I stopped watching because it was bad for my health.

BTR just feels like more neoliberal bullshit, and does not address the current issues. The housing crisis isn't being caused by a total lack of housing, it's being caused by a lack of a certain type of housing. No one is BTR low income housing, that's a terrible business model. That's why we need to insist the government take on the role. And the countries we should be looking to for our model of social housing aren't European nations, but countries like Singapore.

Australia is probably one of the Western countries closest to Singapore's absolute and unapologetic strictness on immigrants and expats (vast majority of expats not allowed to being in their children for instance, even for a visit). Housing stock there is built by those expats for the already there residents and is a key reason why Singapore is relatively cheap for residents. A house costs hundreds of thousands to build (not including land prices) in Australia, it costs a fraction of that in Singapore and who is allowed to live in/buy that dwelling is VERY tightly controlled (hint, it's not the poor or vulnerable).

TL DR, Singapore is cheap housing because it absolutely price controls the gently caress out of labor costs like a boss as well as not letting filthy foreigners buy a lot of it once it is built.

They are also awesome at mandating designing for density in a way that mitigates it. Higher density than Manhattan yet feels like Perth most of the time (things like the ground floor must be a public throughfare, the top greened up, etc.

Agreed that BTR for lower cost housing by itself is not going to achieve much. Need zoning regs to support that so Nedlands gets some medium density blocks too, not just Kalamunda bro and South of the river.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

a strange fowl posted:

after hearing so much about how nobody can find early childhood staff due to the pay, i decided to take a look at what early childhood education jobs in my area are actually offering and - holy poo poo, sixteen dollars an hour :psyduck: (up to a maximum of $22 for experienced and qualified staff, which is kind of even worse)

you want to pay the people looking after our children a liveable wage? what are you? a commie?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

a strange fowl posted:

Assuming you're in Australia (cos auspol) but that's below award and you'd be able to take it to FWA
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment-conditions/awards/awards-summary/ma000120-summary

edit: okay, maybe family day care can gently caress around find out, but if it's corporate childcare they're skimming the new graduate/women migrants pool

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

If they made changes to capital gains tax discount / negative gearing (they won’t, look at the stage 3 cuts lol) they would be grandfathered in, no way would they apply to people who’d made investment decisions for millions of dollars on expectation of the fat capital gain. It would be gradual and take twenty years.

Not arguing on this point, but thats a different scenario than just taking away CGT discount and negative gearing immediately. I agree that boomers would totally pull the ladder up after themselves.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jun/22/australian-politicians-bought-nazi-artefacts-auction-house-director-claims

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Need zoning regs to support that so Nedlands gets some medium density blocks too, not just Kalamunda bro and South of the river.

paging froglet to the thread

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

*cough*dutton*cough*

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

G-Spot Run posted:

Assuming you're in Australia (cos auspol) but that's below award and you'd be able to take it to FWA
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment-conditions/awards/awards-summary/ma000120-summary

edit: okay, maybe family day care can gently caress around find out, but if it's corporate childcare they're skimming the new graduate/women migrants pool
it seemed incredibly low. most of the positions didn't even have the wage listed, which i'm guessing isn't a good sign.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Not arguing on this point, but thats a different scenario than just taking away CGT discount and negative gearing immediately. I agree that boomers would totally pull the ladder up after themselves.

I suppose I just barely agree that taking away the CGT discount with immediate effect would royally gently caress a lot of people and unfortunately include some who might not deserve it. A bit like if we suddenly closed all private and catholic schools which I personally think we should do but probably would be happy to give ‘‘em a few years to wrap up (sans govt money of course).

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Start by strengthening tenant rights like no more no cause evictions so the rental market isnt a constant churn of people being kicked out of rentals and you might start to see some stability.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

a strange fowl posted:

it seemed incredibly low. most of the positions didn't even have the wage listed, which i'm guessing isn't a good sign.

Pretty sure there's a website somewhere that'll tell you what the hidden wage listing is - any goons know the url?

GoldStandardConure posted:

paging froglet to the thread

*Cackle*

Agreed that BTR for lower cost housing by itself is not going to achieve much. Need zoning regs to support that so Nedlands gets some medium density blocks too, not just Kalamunda bro and South of the river.

Iirc, the good loud people of Nedlands are exactly why developers can overrule councils by taking them to the state administrative tribunal.

Not that I think developers running roughshod over locals getting a say on local issues is a good thing or anything! It's a poo poo outcome for everyone since developers can now go to the state tribunal if they don't like what they hear from a local council, yet it's also very hard to feel sorry for the areas where they dug in their heels so hard and so long over stupid stuff the state government legislated a way to cut them out of the process.

froglet fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 22, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Listening to one of my friends go through the ringer because they are a sessional academic really makes me appreciate why the gently caress I punched out of academia. It's a barely governed sector that uses contracts to gently caress with the people who do the bulk of the teaching/research despite and to try and strip workers rights.

I have to keep asking myself what the gently caress was the NTEU doing in the 90s/00s because the situation is so lovely that there's no way this sprung up overnight. I sound like a broken record but I think a lot of rusted-on academics in perm positions have a lot to answer for. Lotta people asleep at the wheel.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I'm not really sure why exactly in the academia but unions can be funny little profit/status driven things as well. My mum was a union organiser for a hospital in QLD and the members on permanent contracts were quite opposed to helping nurses on casual contracts getting implied permanency. I think there were some extra perks (first pick on roster, leave, etc) associated with being a permanent that they didn't want to share with currently casual (for the last five years, paying union dues the entire time) nurses. Maybe it was the same for academia?

My dad had been in union organising all his life and called in union lawyer mates based in Brisbane (of a different union but knowledgeable) to help my mum fight/cajule her own permanent members to allow the hospital to apply implied permanency. The hospital had already agreed, it was the already permanent members of the local Nurses Union that held it out for much longer.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Start by strengthening tenant rights like no more no cause evictions so the rental market isnt a constant churn of people being kicked out of rentals and you might start to see some stability.

yeah and they they put in some bullshit loophole that still allows it to happen.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Recoome posted:

Listening to one of my friends go through the ringer because they are a sessional academic really makes me appreciate why the gently caress I punched out of academia. It's a barely governed sector that uses contracts to gently caress with the people who do the bulk of the teaching/research despite and to try and strip workers rights.

I have to keep asking myself what the gently caress was the NTEU doing in the 90s/00s because the situation is so lovely that there's no way this sprung up overnight. I sound like a broken record but I think a lot of rusted-on academics in perm positions have a lot to answer for. Lotta people asleep at the wheel.

I'm not really sure why exactly in the academia but unions can be funny little profit/status driven things as well. My mum was a union organiser for a hospital in QLD and the members on permanent contracts were quite opposed to helping nurses on casual contracts getting implied permanency. I think there were some extra perks (first pick on roster, leave, etc) associated with being a permanent that they didn't want to share with currently casual (for the last five years, paying union dues the entire time) nurses. Maybe it was the same for academia?

My dad had been in union organising all his life and called in union lawyer mates based in Brisbane (of a different union but knowledgeable) to help my mum fight/cajule her own permanent members to allow the hospital to apply implied permanency. The hospital had already agreed, it was the already permanent members of the local Nurses Union that held it out for much longer.

When I was a spectator to the SDA way back, what happened was a vicious cycle where the majority of SDA members were permanent, so the SDA focussed on the interests of the permanent staff, so the casuals rarely saw any benefits for them (including that one time I remember voting against something that spectacularly failed the better off overall test for casual staff but benefitted the permanents), so they wouldn't become members, so the SDA focussed on the permanent staff...

The other thing about casual vs permanent is that I reckon the organisations need to be clear about the demarcation point between casual and permanent, because right now it seems organisations use casual workers to pretend their total number of staff is lower than it actually is, which society/fair work/etc are all recognising, but I imagine permanent workers aren't entirely clear on how recognising this benefits them given in a lot of these situations it sounds like the casuals are remaining classes as such and are being paid a higher rate than permanent staff, yet are now also being benefits they previously didn't have and the higher rate is supposed to compensate for. (Not to say that this is a fair or reasonable thing, it's more making it so it's clear what the difference is, because if a member of staff is casual and yet is treated like permanent, they should be getting their contract changed to permanent).

My partner is teaching-focussed member of staff at a university, but as far as I know he doesn't get any perks in relation to leave or rosters and is incredibly snowed under by his workload. He won't even try to get leave during semester unless it's entirely unavoidable, because organising cover etc is such a pain in the neck for him.

Also, I imagine a part of the sessional vs permanent thing at universities is because to qualify as a permanent member of staff for some roles requires them to have completed a degree or qualification of some kind (e.g. Masters, PhD, etc). There's a goon on the auspol discord who's been majorly screwed around by this - they don't have a masters, and have been told the only way to get a pay rise is to get one. They've now left that role and, from what they gather, it's put the university in a bit of a spot because they aren't easy to replace.

However, for every time that situation occurs I imagine there's going to be permanent members of staff who will feel like their position is being devalued by allowing the hiring of people lacking the same qualifications, because otherwise what is the incentive to get a PhD, masters, etc, if you can get the role without them? (Not saying that this is an entirely fair or reasonable complaint)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of it comes down to business boomer brain where they don't ever want to hire any new staff at all with remotely the same security and benefits that their generation took for granted. There's no end of excuses and goalpost-moving to justify this, and they'll often outright let their business fail rather than actually pay people enough. A lot of captured and/or boomer brained unions are probably about the same; just this unspoken, unthinking dedication to completely pulling up the ladder and blocking any further advancement.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of it comes down to business boomer brain where they don't ever want to hire any new staff at all with remotely the same security and benefits that their generation took for granted. There's no end of excuses and goalpost-moving to justify this, and they'll often outright let their business fail rather than actually pay people enough. A lot of captured and/or boomer brained unions are probably about the same; just this unspoken, unthinking dedication to completely pulling up the ladder and blocking any further advancement.

Eh, saying businesses like to keep staff on an unsecure footing is not a new concept or remotely uniquely boomer thought (brand new permeant members fresh out of school will absolutely gently caress over casuals as quick as some old duck will).

I think part of it is that casuals are seen as the flexible people to be used when you want to do something, not just the business manager that needs flexibility in at least some of the workforce so that unexpected leave/workload etc can be covered but also by permanent workers that see casuals as someone to do the less convenient, lovely tasks that they think is beneath permanent staff.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/FinancialReview/status/1672049021957939200

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Oh no, they'll pack up and take their houses with them will they AFR? Is that what will happen when they "quit"?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Article draws a really long bow, we are of course talking about the pinnacle of luxury holiday houses.

quote:

Ben Kingsley, chair of the Property Investors Council of Australia, adds: “Investors are wondering whether a holiday property in the bush or beach remains part of the great Australian Dream. Is the juice worth all the squeezing?”

lmao

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Love how he throws in "in the bush" there. Got to try to create the mental image of some fibro surfer's shack in the middle of nowhere, not the four-bedroom house a 90-minute drive from Flinders Street.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Into my veins please.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

:sickos:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Recoome posted:

Article draws a really long bow, we are of course talking about the pinnacle of luxury holiday houses.

lmao

Ben Kingsley really does pop up in the weirdest roles

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
How the gently caress does a luxury holiday home remain part of the Australia dream when owning a bloody house, or renting a flat, doesn't remain part of the dream? How detached from the situation is this journo?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's probably more useful to think of it as a cycle of abuse. The employers of yesteryear were not very nice to their staff in general. So the bosses of today return the behaviour.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

You could probably read about it in the book!

https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/6856902

But in all seriousness, when I went to my first National Council meeting in 2015, casualisation was already the gravest concern on the agenda. At one point during the 3 day meeting, the then (and inaugural) General Secretary asked anyone on the floor under 35 to stand up. I think I was one of 3 or 4.

I can't speak to what went on before then, but it's probably safe to say that casuals being underrepresented as both members and counsellors, as well as the latent tendency of older, securely employed white people to act in their own interests lead to the sort of echo chamber Froglet and others have described. Whether the union actually had the power to mitigate the problem before it hit critical mass is questionable, but there is every possibility that more could have been done.

Over the next couple of years some major structural changes were implemented, including the introduction of a casual representative at each branch, a new fee structure for casuals, and the development of a national committee for casual members.

Today, casuals make up a sizable voting bloc on the council itself, and make up an increasingly larger percentage of the membership. All new enterprise agreements must contain strong anti casualisation measures, and the national leadership have been putting in serious work lobbying Chalmers and cross bench senators to close loopholes in the current NES conversion mechanic that allows Universities to deny conversion to seasonal academics.

The casual bloc have many former stupol activists and punch well above their weight, and there is zero tolerance for any policy that unreasonably disadvantages casual employees from the current national leadership.

Whether it will be enough to turn the tide is unknown. There are certain runaway conditions in play that would require a kind of radical government policy intervention that the ALP are clearly not interested in making in any area, least of all higher ed. It's going to be a rough ride either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cartoon posted:

It's probably more useful to think of it as a cycle of abuse. The employers of yesteryear were not very nice to their staff in general. So the bosses of today return the behaviour.

The idea that the employees of yesteryear became the bosses of today should be treated with automatic suspicion.