Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’m really torn between playing smrpg on snes (whether that’s switch online or my actual snes) or waiting for the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

otter posted:

I’m really torn between playing smrpg on snes (whether that’s switch online or my actual snes) or waiting for the new version.

The new version how is this even a question?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why not both

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Time. I’ll probably only make one pass through the game. I rarely complete a game more than once. Notable exceptions are Zelda 1, Ys the Vanished Omens, super Mario World, and FE:PoR.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The new version how is this even a question?

Waiting until it comes out mostly.
I don’t think I’m going to play totk until next year. I was planning on doing Mother 3 next but am enticed by smrpg.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, you're not really playing the original these days anyway. Mario RPG is one of those games that made heavy deliberate use of CRT side-effects in its graphics to create soft glows and shadows and gradients and things as well as the illusion of more detail, to the point where I wonder if they had special rendering algorithms designed to exploit it when they rendered their sprites.

The character ones are pretty well known:

But there's a lot of other more subtle things. Like look at how all the hills on this screen have a smattering of dark pixels around the top edges: on raw pixels it's not enough to create a solid border so it just serves to make the aliasing worse, but on a CRT what it did was create a soft dark glow behind the hill that enhanced the contrast without needing a full border. But because that smearing effect is gone now it just looks really jaggy and not-good in a way the original didn't.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 22, 2023

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
the CRT ones look way worse, OP

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You can use CRT filters these days, although the really good ones are apparently somehow really intensive to run.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

the CRT ones look way worse, OP

Okay! :) Everyone has their own preferences.

Bug Squash posted:

You can use CRT filters these days, although the really good ones are apparently somehow really intensive to run.

Yeah, some are pretty good, although sometimes it can be hard to sort out ones that actually replicate the effects that were exploited from the ones that add some scanlines and blur for nostalgia.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Jet Jaguar posted:

Only played Pikmin so far and the biggest adjustment has been having to hold down L in order to move your swarm of Pikmin around. Also I'd forgotten much more vicious everything in the world is when you can't drop a bunch of purples on their head.

What does the right stick do otherwise? Move the camera?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MikeJF posted:

To be honest, you're not really playing the original these days anyway. Mario RPG is one of those games that made heavy deliberate use of CRT side-effects in its graphics to create soft glows and shadows and gradients and things as well as the illusion of more detail, to the point where I wonder if they had special rendering algorithms designed to exploit it when they rendered their sprites.

The character ones are pretty well known:

But there's a lot of other more subtle things. Like look at how all the hills on this screen have a smattering of dark pixels around the top edges: on raw pixels it's not enough to create a solid border so it just serves to make the aliasing worse, but on a CRT what it did was create a soft dark glow behind the hill that enhanced the contrast without needing a full border. But because that smearing effect is gone now it just looks really jaggy and not-good in a way the original didn't.

The ones on the left are the good ones right?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've always loved the earnestness of CRT weirds

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Anyway speaking of weirds, I had a dream I was playing TotK last night except I controlled Link's hand abilities with a VR style controller with haptic feedback.

I used autohand to grab a bokoblin and then hold its head underwater while it struggled until it drowned to death. I could feel it fighting against me and then when it died its body was heavier from the water it had forcibly ingested. I felt incredibly sad for the bokoblin and then woke up slightly traumatised and now I don't think I'm gonna kill any bokoblins for a while

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
they come back every blood moon don't worry about it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
maybe worry about the dream

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beat the Mole town in SMRPG. Making good progress I think.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
MikeJF is absolutely right. It's fine if you prefer clean sprites but Mario RPG is right up there with Donkey Kong Country as an obvious example of scanlines intentionally being used to create a sense of depth.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

MikeJF is absolutely right. It's fine if you prefer clean sprites but Mario RPG is right up there with Donkey Kong Country as an obvious example of scanlines intentionally being used to create a sense of depth.

"You're not really playing the original these days anyway" is an incredibly strong statement that isn't really backed up by the evidence. Like yeah obviously the games were designed around the constraints of the technology at the time but that doesn't render them unplayable now and also doesn't account for the differences in comfort and enjoyment between sat on your bedroom floor nose against a tiny CRT screen vs playing on fuckoff huge LCDs or OLEDs now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, I'm certainly no 'all games from that era must be played on CRT' purist, many or even most games didn't use those effects and I'd prefer to play clean and sharp. But some did deliberately not just design around the side-effects, but exploit them, and sometimes the exploit tricks can end up making the sharp version look a bit worse than it otherwise might. It's not exactly a major effect but it is there.

(Really you tended to see more use of the CRT effects on the Genesis, as a consequence of being much more limited in the number of colours it could show, as well a lack of colour mixing or transparent capabilities)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 22, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

An Actual Princess posted:

smrpg is a trivially easy rpg. give peach the lazy shell: boom you're invincible. enjoy.

I gave her that plus the Safety Ring you find in the Sunken Ship. Oddly, I had the official strategy guide and that thing never mentioned the Safety Ring at all. It makes Peach immune to like half the attacks in the dang game.

But the first time I played the game I had never played an RPG before and didn't realize that healer = good and just rolled through the entire game with the bro squad of Mario, Bowser and Geno. I at least used items!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Len posted:

The ones on the left are the good ones right?
Actually, you're supposed to look at the ones that make you think you're developing cataracts and nod solemnly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clearly this was more of a minority opinion than I thought; never mind, then.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 22, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if they had special rendering algorithms designed to exploit it when they rendered their sprites.

They probably just designed them on CRTs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

and then he fucks around with the canon storyline

And also the boss fight ends after you take off 1/3rd of his hp

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really like how they animated Mario's legs while running using smear frames and such. However my one complaint is I don't like that they gave him the Sonic side mouth. That works with Sonic's design, it does not work on Mario

I mean I'm gonna be playing as Peach anyway but still

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

MikeJF posted:

I really appreciated your posts, Mike. I liked the comparison shots and your insight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

99% of people playing on a CRT in 1996 were looking at blurred poo poo going through a composite or RF cable on a 17 inch TV

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The CRT ones look better, you can absolutely see what they were going for.

Anyway, I'm not paying £50 for a trivial 10-hour game. If they've added stuff that's one thing, otherwise that's a steep discount purchase

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
EDIT: I was in a terrible mood due to IRL stuff and felt like people were jumping on someone for making a good post, so I made a bad post. Instantly felt weird. Whoops!

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 23, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

l lik ethem both. i wish i still had a crt for guitar hero :(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

MikeJF posted:

No don't feel you have to shut up, I wasn't trying to silence you, it's always interesting getting different perspectives on stuff like this. Clearly there's enough people that give a poo poo about this for Nintendo to include CRT filters on their classic consoles and the fact the main market for getting rid of bulky old CRTs is retro gamers.

Again, it's fine if you prefer the sharp clean look. It's also fine if you prefer scanlines. This is a very controversial opinion worthy of a classic SA dogpile.

Opening with 'it's not the same game' because of subjective interpretations on the differences in how the graphics are displayed was a strong gambit.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would argue that saying "playing a game today that now looks very different because it was based around utilising the drawbacks of old TVs so you're not really getting the same experience" isn't all that controversial

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I would argue that saying "playing a game today that now looks very different because it was based around utilising the drawbacks of old TVs so you're not really getting the same experience" isn't all that controversial

the last however many posts would suggest otherwise

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I would argue this conversation sucks poo poo!!!!

Started playing FF1 pixel remaster. Good stuff, only briefly dabbled before. Guessing there's no particular ways I can screw myself? Opted for monk, thief, black mage, white mage

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Can we all at least agree that the default "CRT filter" option on most emulators that's just harsh scanlines and maybe a bilinear filter always looks like absolute garbage

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raylax posted:

Can we all at least agree that the default "CRT filter" option on most emulators that's just harsh scanlines and maybe a bilinear filter always looks like absolute garbage

I’ve never seen a good one except maybe on SIGNALIS

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I turn on the dirtiest CRT filter possible whenever games offer it. Sega Ages Phantasy Star has a particularly good effect, down to a slight degree of chromatic aberration.

Kale
May 14, 2010

otter posted:

I didn’t beat Mario 1 until like 2020. I’m 43. I went through Mario world, Mario 3, but Mario 1 had eluded me. I think after came out 1 seemed bizarrely overly simplistic despite having a decent challenge to it.
Some day I’ll finish Zelda 2. Not likely anytime soon.

For me its the super all time inertia heavy way that Mario moves in the first game. Very hard to recover from slight mistakes even. If it had even Mario 3s movement it'd be much more manageable. Its hard cause its old and one of the very first sidescrolling platformers with nothing to use as a reference or improve from feedback.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve never seen a good one except maybe on SIGNALIS

We had an asteroids deluxe cabinet at work one time and the main board poo poo it self so many times that the boss was tired of getting it shipped off. I sold him on one more attempt and i pulled the guts out, put in a led monitor and a raspi running retropie, wired the controls to the raspi, and then spent twice as long loving with the emulator's filters to make it look like the old tube.

I did eventually get it to the point that people would not notice, and sometimes wouldn't even believe me until I opened the front and pointed at the stuff I put in it.

We even sold it to a guy, after pulling the back off and showing him that he's getting no usable original hardware and he was like "Eh, it looks real and I just want to play it on a standup"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MikeJF is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CRT ftw, but I'm pretty sure they're extinct now