Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

I just wish the cool pedal powered ones weren’t so expensive :(

i've got a paddle kayak currently (wilderness systems tarpon x) that i take out all the time. make sure you think about safety stuff - whistle, flag so stupid people see you easier, pfd - as well as anchoring. the main thing you fight trying to fish out of a kayak is current and having options to be able to stop easily (anchor and trolley system with an anchor wizard, stakeout pole) will let you use it a lot more often.

also a lot of kayak dealers have test days, take out the ones you're interested in and try standing in them, see how it feels to reach storage, that kind of stuff. now that i've done this a fair amount i have a much better idea of what i'd hunt for next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Crab season in Bremerton got announced. Sunday Monday starting in July.
Sigh, gonna be burning a lot of sick time.

Do you ever soak your pots overnight? I did it once at Redondo and was pretty paranoid about them getting pulled or stolen, but both were pretty full when I picked them up the next day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Siamang posted:

Do you ever soak your pots overnight? I did it once at Redondo and was pretty paranoid about them getting pulled or stolen, but both were pretty full when I picked them up the next day.

I have and don’t find it does any better than a 1-2 hour soak first thing in the morning. In fact a good tide change with bury it in seaweed.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Alright, stupid newb question, I got my ultralight rod set up and threw some 2lb line on a small lightweight spinning reel. I spooled it up the same as I did my other rod which I don’t have issues with, but this one when I hook my lure onto a guide for storing the rod, the line won’t keep taught, and in fact the reel will spin out under the initial tension of the lure hooked to the guide and the line goes completely slack and tangles. Is this reel poo poo or am I doing something dumb? I’ve tried cranking the drag all the way up and it still does it.

Thanks, I’ll definitely keep all that in mind!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
What do you think fish taste like?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

T-Square posted:

Alright, stupid newb question, I got my ultralight rod set up and threw some 2lb line on a small lightweight spinning reel. I spooled it up the same as I did my other rod which I don’t have issues with, but this one when I hook my lure onto a guide for storing the rod, the line won’t keep taught, and in fact the reel will spin out under the initial tension of the lure hooked to the guide and the line goes completely slack and tangles. Is this reel poo poo or am I doing something dumb? I’ve tried cranking the drag all the way up and it still does it.

Thanks, I’ll definitely keep all that in mind!

Sounds like the anti reverse is turned off, check for a little lever at the back of the reel.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

joem83 posted:

Sounds like the anti reverse is turned off, check for a little lever at the back of the reel.

And if not that then you might have spooled it backwards

T-Square
May 14, 2009

joem83 posted:

Welp that solves what my other question of what that little switch does :doh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

What do you think fish taste like?

Depends on the water they get pulled out of.
Some even taste like chicken!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Do any taste like penguin?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Desert Bus posted:

Do any taste like penguin?

more like updogg

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Ghostnuke posted:

more like updogg

The ones that taste like updogg have a lot of ligma to them too

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

more like updogg

What's updogg?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Desert Bus posted:

What's updogg?

Not much dogg what's up with you???

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

What's updogg?

NOT MUCH HOMIE!

Also, I've yet to get my license this year, fishing motivation has been at an all time low since all of my tackle stuff (sans rods and reels because these people were amateurs) got stolen.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

went out on the kayak this morning and caught a couple of bass

every time i go out on the kayak i can see/hear bass aggressively feeding in cover too heavy for me to get at with my spinning rod or mh baitcaster - thick kissimmee grass, cattails, and lily pads. i've been considering getting a heavy action baitcaster setup so i could flip into this cover for years and after i saw a bunch of fish doing this today i think i'm going to bite.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I am the bowfin king of Virginia Beach

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
eyyyyy nice
Lake Smith?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Southern Cassowary posted:

went out on the kayak this morning and caught a couple of bass

every time i go out on the kayak i can see/hear bass aggressively feeding in cover too heavy for me to get at with my spinning rod or mh baitcaster - thick kissimmee grass, cattails, and lily pads. i've been considering getting a heavy action baitcaster setup so i could flip into this cover for years and after i saw a bunch of fish doing this today i think i'm going to bite.

Pole cane!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Got a GoPro (just kidding it's a cheap knockoff) that I plan on dropping into some of the areas I go fishing in. I have just always wondered what the hell is down there. If I find anything interesting I'll upload it to YouTube.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Bass opener is this Saturday in my area. I'm pretty well versed in Large mouth fishing (though my luck is usually poo poo anyways) but not so much in small mouth.

Was probably just going to go up the local creek where my boat is docked. Theres supposed to be a bunch of smallies in there.
What sort of poo poo should I use? There is some current, but not tons unless theres been rain.

I was figuring on some tube jigs and maybe some fake rear end crayfish or something, but thats most of what I know. Bottom is fairly rocky, not much weeds.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

eyyyyy nice
Lake Smith?

Right off the causeway in stumpy lake, I'm there with a friend or two twice a week. That one was a gold 1/4oz spoon on the tiny rod.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Bass opener is this Saturday in my area. I'm pretty well versed in Large mouth fishing (though my luck is usually poo poo anyways) but not so much in small mouth.

Was probably just going to go up the local creek where my boat is docked. Theres supposed to be a bunch of smallies in there.
What sort of poo poo should I use? There is some current, but not tons unless theres been rain.

I was figuring on some tube jigs and maybe some fake rear end crayfish or something, but thats most of what I know. Bottom is fairly rocky, not much weeds.

For Smallies that should work. My impression of Smallies is they are basically the same as Largemouth in terms of what works to catch them it's just that they tend to inhabit different environments. They seem to like running water like rivers and creeks more than Largemouth.

Also and this is anecdotal, but I feel like Smallies fight much harder than Largemouth. This is why I love catching them.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Went out looking for crappies the other day, got a nice 13" crappie on a mimic minnow spinner and another 13" on a jig.

Here's an image of one of them:

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

Charliegrs posted:

Also and this is anecdotal, but I feel like Smallies fight much harder than Largemouth. This is why I love catching them.

Agree with all of this. Big largemouth usually flop over, but my PB smallmouth (around 4lbs) just wouldn't give up. I was in a strong river current and nearly flipped because it kept going underneath my kayak.

I like using a shaky head with craws, trick worms, etc. and usually get hit on the fall. Small river fishing though so usually I just keep moving and casting.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

titties posted:

Went out looking for crappies the other day, got a nice 13" crappie on a mimic minnow spinner and another 13" on a jig.

Here's an image of one of them:

NICE

titties
May 10, 2012

Thank you friend, i haven't caught crappie since i was a teenager and they are one of my favorite fish to catch and my favorite freshwater fish to eat so i was excite.

Hopefully next week I'll go out again and haul in some footballs and have a nice battered fish fry.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

titties posted:

Thank you friend, i haven't caught crappie since i was a teenager and they are one of my favorite fish to catch and my favorite freshwater fish to eat so i was excite.

Hopefully next week I'll go out again and haul in some footballs and have a nice battered fish fry.

Beautiful, fun to catch, and delicious is the holy Trifecta of fishing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I may or may not have been presented with the opportunity to go offshore fishing with the tiny rods. I now have 30lb test and a 4000 series reel on them. poo poo is gonna get real come September.

E: I also got handed a rainbow spinning reel and dick spoons off of temu. Look at this poo poo.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 23, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Beautiful, fun to catch, and delicious is the holy Trifecta of fishing.

And dating

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whoever talked about bed fishing being an issue earlier, looks like there is a big scandal going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLcq9zcdr4&t=1043s

We don't have much small mouth down here. Apparantly, bed fishing small mouth, especially sight fishing them, is way easier and they bite way more often. The pro tour fishing event had some widespread issues of the pros catching the same fish multiple times in the same day. Some say anglers went as far to catch the same fish as other anglers. The bags were so big yet there is some talk that some fish were caught up to 6 times in the same day.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I may or may not have been presented with the opportunity to go offshore fishing with the tiny rods. I now have 30lb test and a 4000 series reel on them. poo poo is gonna get real come September.

E: I also got handed a rainbow spinning reel and dick spoons off of temu. Look at this poo poo.

That’s real pretty I want it

Also the dickspoons, are those still around? I think I remember the poster’s website who made them being defunct now when I was reading through the thread

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

T-Square posted:

dickspoons

You can get ‘em on Amazon or ali express

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Right off the causeway in stumpy lake, I'm there with a friend or two twice a week. That one was a gold 1/4oz spoon on the tiny rod.

oh, cool. i used to live around pembroke and tried fishing lake smith a few times, but only ever caught a baby bass. I don't know how people catch stuff from the shore there. Always meant to check out stumpy lake tho

I got a zebco micro 33 combo and a 33 combo for the wife. Took em out for an hour last night, caught nothing yet with em but these rods own

I forgot how much I like spincasters. Kinda wanna get the zebco bullet lol

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

oh, cool. i used to live around pembroke and tried fishing lake smith a few times, but only ever caught a baby bass. I don't know how people catch stuff from the shore there. Always meant to check out stumpy lake tho

I got a zebco micro 33 combo and a 33 combo for the wife. Took em out for an hour last night, caught nothing yet with em but these rods own

I forgot how much I like spincasters. Kinda wanna get the zebco bullet lol

I have the bullet. I love the bullet. Could never get the hang of baitcasters or spinning reels so I bought the best spincaster I could find and never looked back. The omega series is good too

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

honestly feel like baitcasters have gotten a lot easier with the brake systems you find in modern ones

as a kid i sucked at them but i launch my shimano slx with minimal brakes no problem

nieces came over today and hung out on the dock throwing senkos. caught four bass between them and now they're hooked, went home asking their dad to dig rods out of storage.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Here's me w/ a redfish I found in the Galveston, TX marshes. Yes I used a fly rod, and yes that means I'm a better person than u.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Southern Cassowary posted:

honestly feel like baitcasters have gotten a lot easier with the brake systems you find in modern ones

Shimano makes a "Digital Control" option for a lot of their baitcasters. Basically it's a little computer in the reel that is powered by the spinning-action of the spool, and it uses it's calculator powers to automatically set/adjust the braking systems with every cast. (These types of reels have been around since the mid 2000s, but now they're not priced in the $500+ range.)

It's a great (but still expensive) tool for beginners, but you don't need it once you've gotten some practice down.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Jake Gittes posted:

Shimano makes a "Digital Control" option for a lot of their baitcasters. Basically it's a little computer in the reel that is powered by the spinning-action of the spool, and it uses it's calculator powers to automatically set/adjust the braking systems with every cast. (These types of reels have been around since the mid 2000s, but now they're not priced in the $500+ range.)

It's a great (but still expensive) tool for beginners, but you don't need it once you've gotten some practice down.

i've got a regular slx, not the dc one. got it a few years ago after fishing most of my life with spinning tackle. the dc stuff looks cool but they cost like 100 bucks more than the normal reel in their respective models and i cast well enough without it.

to learn how to use it i just watched a couple of youtube videos to set up the spool tightness and brakes and ramped down from high to low brakes as i got the hang of it. i think if you told anyone "hey feather the spool with your thumb a bit" they could cast with 4 of the 6 brakes engaged, then they could turn some of them off as they got the hang of it so they could cast farther. i'm on one brake now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I have an abu garcia promax 2(?) baitcaster that I like a lot. It took some frustrating practice to get the hang of but it's my good reel. maybe I'll spool it with the 6lb I put in the zebco lol
It has 20lb line from pier fishing on it now and runs out a little too easily.

I still love using the micro 33 though. maybe I'll get an ultralight baitcaster.