Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Glistening Jones posted:

That looks like poo poo

I kinda liked it :ohdear: As an intro to a Invasion of the Body Snatchers Imposters type show where nobody can trust anybody and the world is just wrong, it kinda owns. But I watched the first half of the first episode,it doesn't reach those lofty heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they feed the Raised by Wolves intro into it to get that garbage?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently it's data set was made bespoke avoiding any copyright issues.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah before I saw the show or that ig post I thought it was gonna be a thing where every episode has a changing opening credits where it becomes less and less hosed up and non ai but lmao. It looks like poo poo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That ai crap looks like a Tubi ufo documentary or maybe a bottom of the barrel cash-in on Night Of The Living Dead

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Grendels Dad posted:

I kinda liked it :ohdear: As an intro to a Invasion of the Body Snatchers Imposters type show where nobody can trust anybody and the world is just wrong, it kinda owns. But I watched the first half of the first episode,it doesn't reach those lofty heights.
I like it too, looks good!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
No one would care about the intro if the actual show was any good.

Alas, it stinks. Like, real bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Intro be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-fQLLL_vM

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

I kinda liked it :ohdear: As an intro to a Invasion of the Body Snatchers Imposters type show where nobody can trust anybody and the world is just wrong, it kinda owns.

I kinda like it too, but I suspect the novelty of it works only once. The tech will probably be refined, but I hope this hype won't last. I'm imagining creative jobs being marginalized even further as the entertainment sector just repeatedly chews up and vomits out derivatives of the same work ad infinitum.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Secret Invasion opening looks like every other AI thing, just a bunch of ugly, vague, swirly dogshit that’s not designed to look good, it’s only designed to put artists out of their jobs.

ynohtna posted:

No one would care about the intro if the actual show was any good.

Alas, it stinks. Like, real bad.

Nah, people would still care because AI is a hot button issue in the entertainment industry right now. Protections against using AI in any writing is partially why the WGA is on strike right now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
AI is just going to become another artist's tool or, when sufficiently advanced, a budget-cutting measure.

Doing it for real will still have prestige and be the preferred approach. Historically, all the artists thought that the camera was going to kill them but it turns out it did not.

There's also ways to ethically use the technology (alas, they did not go that route to start).

I think that intro is a mixed bag. Some of it looks pretty good. Some of it just flat out looks like a bad gen that I would toss in the delete pile. Bad AI has a very particular "look" and it's all over that intro.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Imagine being hired to produce art that you then feed into a machine which will replace you once it has been fed enough. What a distopian world we unfortunately exist in.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah before I saw the show or that ig post I thought it was gonna be a thing where every episode has a changing opening credits where it becomes less and less hosed up and non ai but lmao. It looks like poo poo

That would actually be a cool concept

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
New paradox of the stone: Can an AI unfuck a picture that AI has created.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Imagine being hired to produce art that you then feed into a machine which will replace you once it has been fed enough. What a distopian world we unfortunately exist in.

You're describing what happened in the last century, but with industrialization. When it happened to people in the past it's called "progress", unfortunately.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Grendels Dad posted:

Given that AI art is now being corrupted by the huge influx of... AI art, I'm gonna say that it can only gently caress it more. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a human face that looks uncannily like a boot -- forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel it's likely to be like CGI in the 90s; outside the people who actually put in the effort to do it well, it's already synonymous with zero-effort garbage aimed at audiences with no taste, and while it can pass for those who don't care it can't hold up to any actual competition. But minus the cases where it can actually be done well.

And that's the best case scenario. It really seems like the AI bros have immediately shat where they eat, now every source that AIs could be trained on is flooded with AI art so it literally can't improve, and for the expense of employing artists to make a new dataset for what they want to do they might as well just have the artists actually make the thing. Otherwise it's basically just a screen saver gimmick.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 22, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Speaking of CGI, I've been thinking a lot about how CGI right now looks worse than it does 10 or 20 years ago, and it's used for more and more things. Remember that scene from Black Widow where they harnessed an army of 3090s and underpaid render artists to create the unreal and magical environment of a room with a table in it?

The scary thing about AI is that it doesn't have to be anywhere near as good as human-created art, it just has reach a minimum level of acceptable that the money the company loses by putting out trash is offset by the money the company saves on not hiring actual artists. And capital is more than willing to set piles of money on fire to make that happen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

AI is greenlightninging things now

quote:

Warner Bros. Signs Deal for AI-Driven Film Management System (Exclusive)

Resistance is futile. Warner Bros. has become the latest studio to publicly embrace artificial intelligence.

The movie division has signed a deal with Cinelytic to use the latter’s AI-driven project management system that was launched last year.

Under the new deal, Warners will leverage the system’s comprehensive data and predictive analytics to guide decision-making at the greenlight stage. The integrated online platform can assess the value of a star in any territory and how much a film is expected to make in theaters and on other ancillary streams.

“The system can calculate in seconds what used to take days to assess by a human when it comes to general film package evaluation or a star’s worth,” says Queisser.

Adds Tonis Kiis, senior vp distribution: “We make tough decisions every day that affect what — and how — we produce and deliver films to theaters around the world, and the more precise our data is, the better we will be able to engage our audiences.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-signs-deal-ai-driven-film-management-system-1268036/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This truly is the dumbest loving timeline

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
NFTs just happened.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Owns

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

NFTs just happened.

NFTs are a completely worthless technology that never has and never will have value. AI might be production ready a few years down the road (I think its first use case will be SFX and not image generation from scratch), but its absolutely not the case now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just so you guys know, there's a ton of firms right now that are repackaging bog-standard analytics as "AI-driven strategies", lot of hucksterism and snake oil going on right now.

As somebody who actually understands LLMs and diffusion-based image creation, the things that AI can do are being massively oversold right now to generate headlines and get business. It's possible we'll get there but we are so very very very far away, on the order of decades IMO.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

NFTs are a completely worthless technology that never has and never will have value. AI might be production ready a few years down the road (I think its first use case will be SFX and not image generation from scratch), but its absolutely not the case now.

It has already happened, they used Deepfaking for Mando Season 2 and Book of Boba.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rochallor posted:

Speaking of CGI, I've been thinking a lot about how CGI right now looks worse than it does 10 or 20 years ago, and it's used for more and more things. Remember that scene from Black Widow where they harnessed an army of 3090s and underpaid render artists to create the unreal and magical environment of a room with a table in it?

The scary thing about AI is that it doesn't have to be anywhere near as good as human-created art, it just has reach a minimum level of acceptable that the money the company loses by putting out trash is offset by the money the company saves on not hiring actual artists. And capital is more than willing to set piles of money on fire to make that happen.

Yeah I don't fear ai becoming too good, I fear a 30% quality for 90% savings outcome

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Exciting thing about copyright in the USA is that you can only copyright human created works. AI generated stuff cannot be copyrighted. I suspect that no one had explained that to the guy who came up with the "let's get AI to do our title sequence!" idea

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

Buddy, they won't even let me unfuck the AI

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

and Book of Boba.

The fact that this title was wasted on Star Wars and not a Book of Eli spin-off starring a ladle launching tapioca twirling Taiwanese auntie is a crime

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

AI is just going to become another artist's tool or, when sufficiently advanced, a budget-cutting measure.

Doing it for real will still have prestige and be the preferred approach. Historically, all the artists thought that the camera was going to kill them but it turns out it did not.

There's also ways to ethically use the technology (alas, they did not go that route to start).

I think that intro is a mixed bag. Some of it looks pretty good. Some of it just flat out looks like a bad gen that I would toss in the delete pile. Bad AI has a very particular "look" and it's all over that intro.

I agree, it looks like a rough draft. None of the aliens look like Skrulls, just generalized aliens. You can tell what is supposed to be a credited actor, but the AI renders make them unrecognizable. You can see where they could have used this as inspiration and had human animators do that opening so they can keep that protean look and vibe but make it a helluva lot more polished. But someone looked at this and signed off on it.

It's the video equivalent of Iron Maiden's "Dance Of Death" Poser Art album cover.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The thing is that if you feed too much into it, it starts pulling already produced AI art and starts accepting the various flaws like hands with too many fingers or mouths with too many teeth, until the only thing it starts spitting out is Cronenbergian monsters made of all hands and teeth.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This is no joke the plot of space jam 2 which means we need someone to slam dunk an ai avatar into an nft (which is also, yes, how Cheadle 's character is defeated)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This on the same day they announced that they are trying to sell half of their classic film catalog for $500 million

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WB is gonna be hiring Awesome-O to make film pitches pretty soon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

WB is gonna be hiring Awesome-O to make film pitches pretty soon

The jokes about Adam Sandler aren't as potent now that Netflix can poo poo out a whole rainbow of terrible scripts

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It'll go after the first couple of $200m bombs because a fancy database can't account for Tall Poppy Syndrome or a lead actor being outed as a creep, and the high-level executives realise they can't blame any ablative junior execs below them for the failure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course it's loving WB

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ugh

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz/status/1672283801756549124?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What's super awesome is other companies have started taking cues from WBD because Disney and Paramount have done the cancel and pull move for content.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
:filez: is not only fun and free, it's also necessary to access a huge amount of cultural history. Any money going towards one of the various failing streaming services would be better spent on a seedbox or one of those VPNs hosted by a libertarian micronation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

What's super awesome is other companies have started taking cues from WBD because Disney and Paramount have done the cancel and pull move for content.
I was just reading an article about Paramount and it sounds like they are pretty hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

This on the same day they announced that they are trying to sell half of their classic film catalog for $500 million

Their movie soundtrack catalogue, not the movies themselves.