Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think they figured out who the impostor was before they all died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pyrotoad posted:

Published a little late I think, but for it to have flooded without a decompression blowout that means this thing failed super close to the surface, right?

Yes. I've seen first hand what flooding looks like from a tiny flaw in a gasket 60 feet down, and how quickly it changes just going to 100 feet.

The guy is full of poo poo.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They all had to share one but not at the same time ‘cause that’s gay.

C'mon dude.

It's only gay if the dicks touch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For 250 grand you could probably design and build a better submarine than the one they used from scratch.

And even if you paid more, well now you have your own submarine and why wouldn't you want something that awesome and cool?

*Checks notes*

Oh, right, Billionaire. Can't spend money because then high score not as high as before.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jfc, does every other laugh on this site have to make me hate myself!?

Worth it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Vengarr posted:

Most places still untouched by man in 2023 are untouched because there is zero loving reason to touch them.

If there was a reason to go there, people would have gone already.

If you are that desperate to get up and personal with the Titanic, there is a literally called Big Piece of it sitting in Las Vegas right now.

You can even touch it if you want to. There’s a sign saying not to but lol.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Partially flooding has the ultimate comedy option of Groversub9000 being tilted vertically and them having room to stand, just all wedged together. Or the four of them taking turns holding up the CEO as he tries to reboot Windows98 to at least get the cd to stop skipping.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ded posted:

Yes. I've seen first hand what flooding looks like from a tiny flaw in a gasket 60 feet down, and how quickly it changes just going to 100 feet.

Personally as an engineer or whateverI think the most likely outcome is that the hull was shredded by the compression and sitting on the floor the size of rocks or smaller. Therefore quite hard to detect. Even if the robotic subs are down there for weeks or months or years. I’m not sure if at least some little bits of wreckage would float to the top or not but even stuff like life preservers might have been totally shredded in about a millisecond. The biggest pieces might be those endcaps and the legs of the thing / other stuff outside of the pressure hull, which were already equalized.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 22, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What do you want to bet that even if the sub experienced explosive decompression and the carbon fiber shell shattered into a million pieces the rusty ballast pipes are somehow still attached

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pyrotoad posted:

Published a little late I think, but for it to have flooded without a decompression blowout that means this thing failed super close to the surface, right?

Sure it's 17 3/8 inch bolts prevented this

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dka29FSZac&t=240s

From the 4 minute mark.

The adhesive they are putting on the end of the tubes doesn't look very soundly applied. I mean, they just put it on by hand, then put the tops (front and back) on. I guess from there they pressure tested it, but that's not real world, and an imperfection won't manifest right away.

My guess is there was a weak spot in the adhesive, and it failed, crushing the entire craft. That's where the communication cut off. Currents probably picked up the debris and carried it away, making it impossible to find.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Pyrotoad posted:

quote:

it sounds like

could be

may have

if

could be

if

could

may have

may take

ded posted:

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

If I had enough crap in butt at a 375 atmosphere implosion would it make a visible diamond after?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bula Vinaka posted:

From the 4 minute mark.

The adhesive they are putting on the end of the tubes doesn't look very soundly applied. I mean, they just put it on by hand, then put the tops (front and back) on. I guess from there they pressure tested it, but that's not real world, and an imperfection won't manifest right away.

My guess is there was a weak spot in the adhesive, and it failed, crushing the entire craft. That's where the communication cut off. Currents probably picked up the debris and carried it away, making it impossible to find.

I'd think that the pressure would actually hold the adhesive together better, not pull it apart. The force is pushing inward, after all.

There's a million and one ways that this could have failed because they constructed it entirely out of red flags. I think every couple of hours for the next few weeks, we'll come up with another possible cause of the accident. Realistically, though, we're not going to know unless the Navy finds debris and starts a forensic investigation.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Lotta people in this thread and on the internet not understanding that the pressure is on the outside of the tube, not the inside

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bula Vinaka posted:

From the 4 minute mark.

Lol this section

https://twitter.com/GoldingBF/status/1671497391705321473

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bumhead posted:

If you are that desperate to get up and personal with the Titanic, there is a literally called Big Piece of it sitting in Las Vegas right now.

You can even touch it if you want to. There’s a sign saying not to but lol.

It’s just an excuse to go somewhere hard to reach for bragging rights.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
If the glue came off the end caps they could get out and swim up to safety

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Vengarr posted:

It’s just an excuse to go somewhere hard to reach for bragging rights.

at least the rich pricks that go to Everest and nearly die can pay a Sherpa to schlep their semi-conscious rear end down the mountain when things go wrong so they can then thank their sponsors afterwards and block any mention of the actual hard working hero that saved their life

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Lol this section

It does suck that 50yo white dudes hold the majority of institutional experience in a lot of engineering fields, and I'm all for changing that, but you still need a few of them around to hand that experience down.

Or you can die at the bottom of the ocean or whatever; it's your company!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wasn't the CEO a 50 yo white guy? But i guess he took off his shirt, which made him still virile and full of youthful vigor

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

idiot u should have posted o2 that way theyd have more oxygen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skippy McPants posted:

It does suck that 50yo white dudes hold the majority of institutional experience in a lot of engineering fields, and I'm all for changing that, but you still need a few of them around to hand that experience down.

Or you can die at the bottom of the ocean or whatever; it's your company!

That's not what they mean, and the actual reason is far stupider; I'd wager they mean they didn't want any old folks standing around their company because it doesn't fit their marketably-hip and cool fast-moving start-up image.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Wasn't the CEO a 50 yo white guy? But i guess he took off his shirt, which made him still virile and full of youthful vigor

Pfft he wishes he was 50.

Also prob not smushed at the bottom of the ocean, but that's a separate issue.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not what they mean, and the actual reason is far stupider; I'd wager they mean they didn't want any old folks standing around their company because it doesn't fit their marketably-hip and cool fast-moving start-up image.

Plus they might get into the pesky business of pointing out the obvious flaws.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Also generally knowing what they are worth and expecting to be compensated accordingly.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

he's inspiring tho

he's inspired me to want us to send more billionaires thousands of metres down to the bottom of the ocean in a rickety tube that could implode at any moment

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

:drat:

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Doesnt want uninspiring 50 year old white guys so he hires uninspiring 22 year old white guys

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

it dont matter posted:

he's inspiring tho

he's inspired me to want us to send more billionaires thousands of metres down to the bottom of the ocean in a rickety tube that could implode at any moment

I'm sure with some proper engineering expertise we can get it to consistently implode at an acceptable depth with billionaires inside.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shania Twain posted:

Doesnt want uninspiring 50 year old white guys so he hires uninspiring 22 year old white guys

Whose wokeness made the seals out of avocados and drag queen books.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I think I've read that because the human body is mostly water, intense water pressure doesn't destroy a human body. You die instantly because your lungs and any gasses in your blood are crushed but it's possible there are perfectly recognizable corpses floating around down there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

This one did not get nearly the love

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Withnail posted:

I think I've read that because the human body is mostly water, intense water pressure doesn't destroy a human body. You die instantly because your lungs and any gasses in your blood are crushed but it's possible there are perfectly recognizable corpses floating around down there.

Recognisable but half the size, like shrinky dinks

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
It's been an honor poo poo posting with everyone about billionaire hubris :patriot:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder what will be found first
1 Atlantis
2 Alien vehicle factory
3 The titan submersible
4 ????

I reckon 2, 4, 1, 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

The Guardian posted:

Ryan Ramsey, a former Royal Navy submarine captain, has described the current situation as “bleak” as the search-and-rescue operation continues for Titan after oxygen is thought to have run out aboard the submersible.

He told the PA news agency:

The outlook is bleak, that’s the only word for it, as this tragic event unfolds and almost the closing stages of where this changes from rescue to a salvage mission.

That doesn’t mean to say that the current ships and forces deployed won’t continue to keep looking.

They won’t stop for many days, I imagine, but the reality is if you base it off oxygen alone, then they’re out of oxygen.

Carbon dioxide is also a critical element to it as well as the cold. It would be a miracle if there were survivors from it.

"If you base it off oxygen alone".