Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Shageletic posted:

too late for me, otoh who cares that's absolutely who would you expect

I had assumed Talos was going to die but now I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

It definitely feels like civil war in particular, and to a lesser extent captain falcon & winter soldier

eh... there's some of that DNA, to be sure, but I don't recall either of those coming off like they were trying so hard to feel tonally distinct from other Marvel Studios projects, certainly not Civil War. in some ways it reminds me of the Marvel Netflix shows, which were definitely trying very hard not to feel like anything Feige had his hand in (often to their detriment), but those series kept any ties or references to the broader MCU to a bare minimum, whereas this one revolves around existing MCU characters and explicitly spins out of specific plot points from Captain Marvel. it's a weird balancing act here, is what it is, and I'm curious to see whether subsequent episodes manage to pull it off better than the first did

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Barry Convex posted:

eh... there's some of that DNA, to be sure, but I don't recall either of those coming off like they were trying so hard to feel tonally distinct from other Marvel Studios projects

I mean to me SI did not feel like it was trying to be tonally distinct from anything at all

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not really excited to watch this series and people saying how slow it is just makes me wanna wait until more episodes are out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Falcon and winter soldier was much earlier in the TV cycle. It had two leads that could plausibly do action. It had some exciting stuff early on (the opening action sequence, Sam’s family drama, Bucky’s list). And it had plausible stakes: what will the legacy of captain America be, what will these flag smashers do? How does the world deal with inequality following the snap? Carly was really the only new character.

In this one, we have a Maria Hill who we haven’t seen do much of anything (although she is really interesting in the comics), a skrull from six movies ago, and another pair of dour people.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Might wanna fix that ASAP so other people don't get it spoiled. :(

poo poo!!!!

I'm really sorry for anyone who was spoiled. I should have double checked my tags.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Soonmot posted:

poo poo!!!!

I'm really sorry for anyone who was spoiled. I should have double checked my tags.

I made that mistake once, now I triple check them. I felt so bad!

Also: lotta haters in here. dayum.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode wasn't terrible or anything like that but it also wasn't like riveting television. It felt very mid.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I made that mistake once, now I triple check them. I felt so bad!

Also: lotta haters in here. dayum.

I mean, I'm not gonna blame anyone for not liking it, I eat this poo poo up and I thought it was pretty mid.

Edit: I am 100% NOT comparing this to Andor, but I should go back and watch the first episode of Andor and see what about hooked me so quickly, because I remember that being a bit slow too, but I was immediately hooked. With this episode, I'm just happy to have more Marvel content and with hopefully SAG joining the WGA in striking, it's gonna be some time before we get anymore.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 22, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Soonmot posted:

I mean, I'm not gonna blame anyone for not liking it, I eat this poo poo up and I thought it was pretty mid.

Edit: I am 100% NOT comparing this to Andor, but I should go back and watch the first episode of Andor and see what about hooked me so quickly, because I remember that being a bit slow too, but I was immediately hooked. With this episode, I'm just happy to have more Marvel content and with hopefully SAG joining the WGA in striking, it's gonna be some time before we get anymore.

I've said it a hundred times, but I like liking things. My job can be pretty stressful (spent the day talking about how to respond when a kid kills themselves) so even a mid show with things I like is a fun escape. It does harsh my mellow sometimes when it seems to be all negativity. Oh well, that's a me problem. I should probably just stay completely off the internet but so it goes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I thought it was pretty solid and a decent opener. If it maintains that opening pace for all 6 episodes, then it could be a problem. But, I generally thought it was a good pace for an intro episode. Mendelson, Jackson, and Colman all gave stellar performances.

Keeping the plot extremely close to the vest and not revealing anything is interesting, but also frustrating. Going to have to wait a week or two before we get a feel for what direction it is heading. It really is, for better or worse, a very different feeling MCU entry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Soonmot posted:

Edit: I am 100% NOT comparing this to Andor, but I should go back and watch the first episode of Andor and see what about hooked me so quickly, because I remember that being a bit slow too, but I was immediately hooked.

Scenes like Brasso establishing an alibi for Cassian, Hyne dressing down Syril or even just the opening scene with Cassian and the rent-a-cops are far better than anything in Secret Invasion (though the scene with Colman and Jackson ain't half bad).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked the first episode, but I am a simple man.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Keeping the plot extremely close to the vest and not revealing anything is interesting, but also frustrating. Going to have to wait a week or two before we get a feel for what direction it is heading. It really is, for better or worse, a very different feeling MCU entry.

It feels like it would've been better had they put the first two episodes out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Scenes like Brasso establishing an alibi for Cassian, Hyne dressing down Syril or even just the opening scene with Cassian and the rent-a-cops are far better than anything in Secret Invasion (though the scene with Colman and Jackson ain't half bad).
There is a lot to learn by looking at why Andor is so good, and I think a lot of it is just simple stuff well written and well acted. The realistic level of intensity that Cassian and Syril bring to getting away with murder / finding a murderer is enough to propel the episode, and the actions (especially why Hyne doesn't want to follow the crime) are so realistic it sets it apart from the rest of Star Wars.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I do love that Andor is now the barometer on how to write good genre. It works.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Over in the TVIV thread it was pointed out that there was no tension in Secret Wars and that was the missing ingredient, that was what I couldn't articulate. A spy show needs tension and there just wasn't any. Andor was filled with tension, which is why I was hooked right away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The stakes are already pretty disappointing.

There's apparently no invasion? It's just the Flagsmashers but they can shapeshift. I feel like if there was going to be any 'important people have been replaced with skrulls' they probably would have put that in the premiere.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Also helped that Andor dropped its first three episodes all at once, so they had time to build that tension over a longer runway, and then had double the amount of episodes that Secret Invasion will have, to fully pay all that off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

There's apparently no invasion? It's just the Flagsmashers but they can shapeshift. I feel like if there was going to be any 'important people have been replaced with skrulls' they probably would have put that in the premiere.

There definitely is an actual invasion.

You can see it from a mile away if you watch the opening title sequence and the first trailer.

Two different actors play two different Presidents, the White House is in the opening credits, the bombs and war are all a diversion to some larger plan.

It is basically telegraphing with a giant blinking red light that the President is going to get killed (probably with Fury being blamed/framed) and the new President will be a Skrull.

There will have been major characters/people in governments around the world revealed to have been Skrulls waiting for to make their move once the Skrulls are all in positions of leadership.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Over in the TVIV thread it was pointed out that there was no tension in Secret Wars and that was the missing ingredient, that was what I couldn't articulate. A spy show needs tension and there just wasn't any. Andor was filled with tension, which is why I was hooked right away.

I think the problem is the tension that anyone can be a Skrull doesn't really work when you only have two main characters and one of them is already a Skrull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

muscles like this! posted:

I think the problem is the tension that anyone can be a Skrull doesn't really work when you only have two main characters and one of them is already a Skrull.

Is the MCU like the comics where the government is the same as real life? If so they could do stuff like, Fury is convinced Senator Sinema is a Skrull but it turns out she's just like that and it's actually Senator Coons who's the Skrull, and Fury and Sinema have to team up to take him down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gripweed posted:

Is the MCU like the comics where the government is the same as real life? If so they could do stuff like, Fury is convinced Senator Sinema is a Skrull but it turns out she's just like that and it's actually Senator Coons who's the Skrull, and Fury and Sinema have to team up to take him down.

No. Obama was canonically defeated during his re-election campaign in 2012 by President Ellis after he ran on a campaign of global security following the battle of New York.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No. Obama was canonically defeated during his re-election campaign in 2012 by President Ellis after he ran on a campaign of global security following the battle of New York.

This is hilarious given that Obama appeared in a Spider-Man comic after his initial election, iirc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

His best appearance was in Newspaper Spider-Man where he calls the TSA to let Spider-Man on a plane without ID

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

His best appearance was in Newspaper Spider-Man where he calls the TSA to let Spider-Man on a plane without ID

Deus ex barackobama

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Fridgeing Maria HIll was loving gross.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

How many Presidents Ellis are there? I know there was Calvin Ellis, the DC Superman/President of Earth-Something

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

StumblyWumbly posted:

How many Presidents Ellis are there? I know there was Calvin Ellis, the DC Superman/President of Earth-Something

According to Google, the following have a President Ellis:

- The MCU.
- The Marvel Comics.
- DC Comics.
- Tom Clancy books.
- The video game "Tom Clancy's: The Division 2"
- California Baptist University - rated one of the best Baptist Universities in the country for 20 years in a row - located in Riverside, California.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just popping in to say I finished American Born Chinese and watch it. Just watch it. Its excellent. On Disney+, 8 eps, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Kwan give great performances as does everyone else (Kwan's is especially poignant after his stellar turn in Everything, Everywhere All At Once, which if you missed you should ALSO see) and the fight choreography is done by the same guys who did Shang Chi and is much better than a tv show would lead you to expect.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 23, 2023

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Oracle posted:

Just popping in to say I finished American Born Chinese and watch it. Just watch it. Its excellent. On Netflix, 8 eps, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Kwan give great performances as does everyone else (Kwan's is especially poignant after his stellar turn in Everything, Everywhere All At Once, which if you missed you should ALSO see) and the fight choreography is done by the same guys who did Shang Chi and is much better than a tv show would lead you to expect.

We just finished it last night. It was great.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Oracle posted:

Just popping in to say I finished American Born Chinese and watch it. Just watch it. Its excellent. On Netflix, 8 eps, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Kwan give great performances as does everyone else (Kwan's is especially poignant after his stellar turn in Everything, Everywhere All At Once, which if you missed you should ALSO see) and the fight choreography is done by the same guys who did Shang Chi and is much better than a tv show would lead you to expect.

It’s on Disney+ in the US, at least.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The stakes are already pretty disappointing.

More like a Secret Disturbance imo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like if there was going to be any 'important people have been replaced with skrulls' they probably would have put that in the premiere.

...you're saying that a six-episode series would blow through its biggest plot twists and reveals in its first episode? I'm not saying I'm expecting anything that would have that huge an impact on the broader MCU, but come on now.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 22, 2023

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jagermonster posted:

Fridgeing Maria HIll was loving gross.

I don't think a tertiary supporting spy character finally dying during spycraft after talking about how deadly and dangerous spycraft is counts as that

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't think a tertiary supporting spy character finally dying during spycraft after talking about how deadly and dangerous spycraft is counts as that

But now Fury will take the Skrull terrorists he came down from space to investigate and was pursuing when Hill died in the line of duty seriously.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

OK well now literally all I care about is how that played out. What does global security mean? There's a lot of UN talk in the MCU so does that mean member nations have given the UN more policing power? If so, how has that manifested? Was their a resurgence of militias in the US because of it? I'm assuming Ellis was a Republican, so does that mean the Republican party avoided the Qanon realignment and are still Bush style Republicans? The Democrats love that poo poo too so what are elections even about in this world? Is it just all Kerry v. Bush style arguing over who could do it better? Did Ellis beat Clinton in 2016? Who is president now?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gripweed posted:

OK well now literally all I care about is how that played out. What does global security mean? There's a lot of UN talk in the MCU so does that mean member nations have given the UN more policing power? If so, how has that manifested? Was their a resurgence of militias in the US because of it? I'm assuming Ellis was a Republican, so does that mean the Republican party avoided the Qanon realignment and are still Bush style Republicans? The Democrats love that poo poo too so what are elections even about in this world? Is it just all Kerry v. Bush style arguing over who could do it better? Did Ellis beat Clinton in 2016? Who is president now?

Dermot Mulroney.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

SlimGoodbody posted:

The character’s best scenes were on agents of shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gripweed posted:

OK well now literally all I care about is how that played out. What does global security mean? There's a lot of UN talk in the MCU so does that mean member nations have given the UN more policing power? If so, how has that manifested? Was their a resurgence of militias in the US because of it?

He pumped up SHIELD, initiated the Helicarrier and project Insight programs, started a new group to assess alien threats, and created the "Iron Patriot" program.

Gripweed posted:

I'm assuming Ellis was a Republican, so does that mean the Republican party avoided the Qanon realignment and are still Bush style Republicans? The Democrats love that poo poo too so what are elections even about in this world? Is it just all Kerry v. Bush style arguing over who could do it better? Did Ellis beat Clinton in 2016? Who is president now?

It's never explicitly said what party Ellis belonged to. It seems to imply that he is a Democrat who beat Obama in a primary because he is elected in 2012 and succeeded by Donald Trump in 2016.

Gripweed posted:

Who is president now?

The current President is someone named President Ritson. It's not really clear what happened in U.S. politics during the snap and the 5-year timejump in the MCU.

quote:

Matthew Ellis was elected President of the United States of America, replacing Barack Obama. During his early presidency, he banned biotechnology research that he deemed immoral, frustrating Aldrich Killian as he was trying to develop Extremis.

Ellis was later targeted by the Project Insight as an enemy of HYDRA, but the targeting Helicarriers were successfully destroyed by Captain America and his team. After the dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D., many people began calling for the resignation of Ellis and discussed how he allowed a terrorist organization to become a member of the intelligence community.[5] After the HYDRA attack on the United Nations Headquarters, Ellis stated in an interview that the HYDRA crisis was "blown out of proportion."

Ellis authorized the formation of the Advanced Threat Containment Unit, the replacement for S.H.I.E.L.D., headed by Rosalind Price. The ATCU was instructed to contain potential threats caused by people with superpowers and extraterrestrials.

quote:

Ellis was kidnapped and nearly assassinated by Aldrich Killian, but was rescued by Iron Man and Iron Patriot, allowing Ellis to continue his Presidency. During the HYDRA Uprising, Ellis was targeted again by HYDRA's Project Insight, but was saved by Captain America.Ellis was succeeded by Donald Trump, who continued to oversee Project Patriot.