Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

at old job I used LE certs for adfs and wrote a bunch of powershell to renew and install them, was a fun project at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tokin opposition posted:

A user had me print something out for her because she doesn't want to install the printers on her laptop.

:eng99:

Smart user. Knows to avoid printers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cyks posted:

You can also get a free dev tenant with like 25 E5 licenses to play around with

WHERE?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/dev-program

Don't worry about the renewal stuff; I've touched my dev tenant like twice and it's been renewed three times already.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

navyjack posted:

Lol. Yet.

Edit: no for real IE is cool I don’t know what JaegerX and Clam Down are talking about. No weird fetishes at all.

This poor bastard is already dead. Why do you think he needs 5 wifi access points in his house? He's got wifi cameras everywhere in his house of torture like that Chicago fair dude.

You got abducted by that saw guy navyjack.

e: we've had every other kind of mod but a serial killer right? IE fulfill your destiny

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 22, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

whom amongst us doesn't have 5 wifi access points in their house???

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have zero

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

because I'm moving and have them all packed up and am in a hell twilight where I have to tether for everything for a week

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i have one that my ISP gave me

the only thing that connects wirelessly is my phone and the loving-around laptop

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I currently have 41 online wifi clients on my network.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I currently have 41 online wifi victims on my network realizing that 911 isn't working

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have the Verizon wifi mesh things with the 5ghz backhaul, and it works quite well. 3 stations, get at least 500mbps speedtest anywhere in the house

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yelled at my CIO yesterday over the phone because he tried to badger me about telling someone that there’s a delay on new SharePoint sites because we don’t have a SharePoint person (I didn’t tell them it’s also because I’m not getting paid SharePoint money). They submitted a ticket with one sentence that said “need a SharePoint site for $team.” Zero effort.

Naturally, the person already has a SharePoint site, didn’t answer any of the clearly numbered questions I had (all two of them) and thought a SharePoint library was a SharePoint site.

I don’t blame the user, SharePoint sucks. I do blame our CEO that she whined to and the CIO that did no investigation and asked no questions prior to being super aggressive.

I need to find something else and don’t even know where to begin. I’d posted in the job thread and have been applying to mid tier RPA jobs but it’s been slow going. It’s really starting to wear me down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a TP Link mesh thing using the wired backhaul because it's my home and I don't care about it that much.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Today at work, a remote user broke their laptop by leaving a pen on the keyboard and then closing the lid. A common occurrence. I sent them a new laptop last week and told them to contact me once they had it in hand so I could transfer their licenses for some software they use with clients in the field. They did that yesterday. I included a return label and told them to ship the broken laptop back to us whenever they got the chance. "Will do!" they said as I ended the call.

This morning I logged in to find out that they decided to bring their old laptop with the busted screen for reasons unknown to their client presentation this morning, and called my coworker freaking out when they realized the broken laptop wouldn't work for them. When he asked them why they brought the busted one with them when we just sent them a new one. They said they thought they could still use it and just use the new one once the old one completely stopped working. :negative:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Google Wifi is fine except that Verizon's wireless cable boxes only connect to their own poo poo

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

I currently have 41 online wifi clients on my network.

Last thanksgiving I had my extended family over for the weekend. It was fourteen people in our (noisy, crowded) house and with the sudden uptick in phones, watches, tablets adding onto our existing phones, watches, tablets, laptops, TVs, peloton and goddamn mattresses I ran out of ip addresses. I ended up creating a guest network and dumping all the non-laptop devices there. I could hear my stupid ASUS access points groaning under the strain.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

I have a TP Link mesh thing using the wired backhaul because it's my home and I don't care about it that much.

Linksys for me, thanks old job for the $700 home office stipend! Got that and a nice adjustable chair to go with my sit/stand desk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Last thanksgiving I had my extended family over for the weekend. It was fourteen people in our (noisy, crowded) house and with the sudden uptick in phones, watches, tablets adding onto our existing phones, watches, tablets, laptops, TVs, peloton and goddamn mattresses I ran out of ip addresses. I ended up creating a guest network and dumping all the non-laptop devices there. I could hear my stupid ASUS access points groaning under the strain.

They'd have all picked up IPv6 addresses here :smuggo:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Today at work, a remote user broke their laptop by leaving a pen on the keyboard and then closing the lid. A common occurrence. I sent them a new laptop last week and told them to contact me once they had it in hand so I could transfer their licenses for some software they use with clients in the field. They did that yesterday. I included a return label and told them to ship the broken laptop back to us whenever they got the chance. "Will do!" they said as I ended the call.

This morning I logged in to find out that they decided to bring their old laptop with the busted screen for reasons unknown to their client presentation this morning, and called my coworker freaking out when they realized the broken laptop wouldn't work for them. When he asked them why they brought the busted one with them when we just sent them a new one. They said they thought they could still use it and just use the new one once the old one completely stopped working. :negative:

Oh, hi, Ralph. Do you work with me? Because your users sound as clueless as ours.
Like, I sent you a *brand new* laptop 6 months ago. Why are you still using your now 4-year-old laptop?

Best part is when the old laptop finally sits itself permanently, and they can't use the used-to-be-new laptop either because it fell off of the domain 3 months ago.

edit: That's when we get the call and find out they never migrated to the new one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Agrikk posted:

goddamn mattresses

Uh what? lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The user that demanded IT print something out for her is leaving end of next week. It's probably not our fault but I choose to believe this is karma for all the times she was a pain in the rear end to IT.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

mattfl posted:

Uh what? lol

You don't have a smart bed frame?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mattfl posted:

Uh what? lol

Gotta monitor your sleep quality remotely, clearly

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wish I were poe compatible ngl

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure he was joking, but after seeing a wifi grill I don't know what to believe anymore.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

I'm sure he was joking, but after seeing a wifi grill I don't know what to believe anymore.

I'm not, my bed has bluetooth and an ip to adjust it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Gotta monitor your sleep quality remotely, clearly

Adjusts mattress firmness quality and temperature thorough-out the night through real-time learning and monitoring of your sleep habits

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can get these sorts of things as well

https://www.withings.com/uk/en/sleep-analyzer

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I use wifi for my gaming pc.

I am a twisted psychopath also, how did you know that?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
My current company is starting to seem shadier and shadier now that I’m in a new role and getting new information. I think layoffs are coming for sure

I referred a friend of mine to a client that I’d rather work for and spent two years building one of the most kickass cloud platform teams from 0 to a billion. I really want the job but I’m very contractually barred from taking it. Sometimes being a consultant blows

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How long do you have to not work at your current place for before you can go to the client?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
18 months, and before anyone says non competes aren’t enforceable it’s a non solicit which is plenty enforceable and our clients usually have MSAs that bar them as well. It’s a huge public company that also won’t pay any sort of fee for me to be released which would be somewhere in the half million dollar range

You can always say gently caress it and dare the consulting company to bring legal action but neither myself nor the client want to burn that bridge

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Diqnol posted:

I use wifi for my gaming pc.

I am a twisted psychopath also, how did you know that?

To work in IT is to swear yourself to a life of solitude and machines. To play games online with friends would forsake this creed

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
We sent most of the staff home early today after receiving a mass shooting threat.

I’ve voiced my concern before that we don’t have any access control on our building and they publish our address and suite number for anyone to look up. There might be a need to look into alerting software in the future as right now the communication method was “message managers on teams to lock the doors.”

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My cats' litterbox is connected to wifi. I get push notifications when the shitter's full!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

I have a wifi grill and it's amazing. Also a separate wifi temp probe for when I want to get fancy.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Our SleepNumber bed is online and I love it. I also have a WiFi temp gauge for my BBQs and it's fantastic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wifi temp gauge sounds super useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I just eyeball my meat like my father and my fathers father