Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
making a build in an arpg is about picking a skill and/or archetype you want to play, and seeing how far you can push it. when it hits a final wall you cant pass the character is done and you play a new one. every skill and item in the game doesnt have to be powerful enough to clear the very hardest content in the game. thats boring as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Jubilant casual crowd loudly proclaiming theyre having the best time ever, despite what the obnoxious hardcore arpg crowd is complaining about, outraged they'll be forced to have the best time ever all over again

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the good ranged rogue, I hate this twistblade poo poo

Rapid fire and penetrating shot both work great. I think penetrating shot is better at deleting entire screens, and rapid fire is better on bosses.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mikojan posted:

Jubilant casual crowd loudly proclaiming theyre having the best time ever, despite what the obnoxious hardcore arpg crowd is complaining about, outraged they'll be forced to have the best time ever all over again

Devotion to your ideal character is a valid sticking point, as funny as it is that this genre norm is shocking the zoomer idiot casuals I'm imagining. Also even the people in love with the game don't want to redo renown!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m waiting to see what the seasonal gimmick, if any, will be before choosing what class to play.

Man I hope they have a fun gimmick and it isn’t just more story content.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Haha if that article is accurate and Blizzard is adding season-only questlines every 3 months, that disappear 3 months later, that really is some dumb poo poo. I could see why folks would be upset.

I'd rather not make a new character in order to experience more of the Diablo story.

Maybe I'm misreading it, too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's been Diablo since like 2007 and has been a part of D4 since they first mentioned seasons.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mustached Demon posted:

That's been Diablo since like 2007 and has been a part of D4 since they first mentioned seasons.

Other ARPGs with seasons do similar things. You have to start over in Path of Exile, and do the storyline again (unless something has changed in the couple of years since I last played).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

smoobles posted:

Haha if that article is accurate and Blizzard is adding season-only questlines every 3 months, that disappear 3 months later, that really is some dumb poo poo. I could see why folks would be upset.

I'd rather not make a new character in order to experience more of the Diablo story.

Maybe I'm misreading it, too.

Questlines, new items, and certain other things will carry over into "The Eternal Realm" (non-seasonal content) when a season is complete, but the season mechanics, season journeys, and the seasonal battlepass all have to be completed during a season and won't ever pass into "The Eternal Realm."

The said they won't carry the mechanics over because they are intended to be big game-changing things and having 30 of them simultaneously in the main game would make it incoherent. The season journey and free battle pass not carrying over is pretty obvious. The premium battlepass not carrying over is to give you a reason to buy and play it.

The new items and story quest lines will all end up on the non-seasonal tiers later.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't remember D3 adding more story content, but that's my own ignorance lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Questlines, new items, and certain other things will carry over into "The Eternal Realm" (non-seasonal content) when a season is complete, but the season mechanics, season journeys, and the seasonal battlepass all have to be completed during a season and won't ever pass into "The Eternal Realm."

The said they won't carry the mechanics over because they are intended to be big game-changing things and having 30 of them simultaneously in the main game would make it incoherent. The season journey and free battle pass not carrying over is pretty obvious. The premium battlepass not carrying over is to give you a reason to buy and play it.

The new items and story quest lines will all end up on the non-seasonal tiers later.

This makes complete sense, I was mostly just concerned about the story quest lines because I'm a filthy casual who just wants to do quests and kill skeletons with my sword

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smoobles posted:

They added 3 or 4 new zones/bosses and questlines about Kanai's cube and Zulton Kulle.

It was several years after release, though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
D3 didn't add more story content, they did add planned expac zones that they shaved the edges off to make into generic bounty content.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

don't expect too much from the first season though, i would be pleasantly surprised if it was anything substantial

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Barrage and Penetrating shot are the "meta" endgame ranged rogue builds, but I have no idea how they are for leveling/if you don't have the required legendary powers.

Penetrating shot is/has been great for leveling once you get your Shadow/Poison imbuements going.

The 'required aspects' are pretty much all in the codex. You want Trickshot Offensive Aspect (adds arrows that go perpendicular to your main Penetrating shot) and Rapid Offensive Aspect (increases Basic skill attack speed, you generally want to attack 3x between each Penetrating shot to max out the Combo skill bonus) as the main things that make your build go. Both aren't that bad from the codex versions either and will still do their job. Aspect of Might (Basic attacks add DR for a short time) is a good source of defense, as is Aspect of Disobedience (extra Armor any time you deal any kind of damage, up to a 50% bonus). Edgemaster's adds some good damage since most of your most powerful shots are at full Energy. I like the Arrow Storm aspect as well, for another source of damage and it's a fun visual effect.

Accelerating Aspect (Critical Strikes with Core skills increase attack speed) is not codex and very good too, but I've found like 5 of them so I don't think it's rare.

Penetrating Shot feels amazing as a build once it gets going. You just explode huge packs of monsters with Shadow-Imbued shots - the sound of this is just ecstatic. Poison-Imbued does great at melting bosses/elites. You have access to Unstoppable on demand in Shadow Step. Between your skills, passives, and some aspects, you generally have a pretty high movement speed too. The main source of friction in the build is running out of steam if you use your imbued shots unwisely or too quickly spam Penetrating shot. The most annoying mobs you face are ones with only a few monsters that are spread out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm glad I have FFXVI to play for a while so can recover from D4 burnout before the first season starts. I should really finish the renown grind on the last two areas though.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Can you acquire uniques by spending obols?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Yes. Edit: legendaries, not uniques can come from obols. I am dumb

wemgo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 22, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’ve not seen anywhere confirm that they can, and anecdotally haven’t seen one in spending ~40K so far

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

f#a# posted:

Can you acquire uniques by spending obols?

No.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone have any concrete info on what the sacred/ancestral shimmer on the gambling options actually mean? They seem to rotate on a schedule(?) but I’m not sure if they actually mean anything. Pretty sure you can gamble any tier of item at any time. But then why have the visual indicator, and why have it rotate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

American McGay posted:

Anyone have any concrete info on what the sacred/ancestral shimmer on the gambling options actually mean? They seem to rotate on a schedule(?) but I’m not sure if they actually mean anything. Pretty sure you can gamble any tier of item at any time. But then why have the visual indicator, and why have it rotate.

Pretty sure that is the "cap" for that current gamble slot.

If it is ancestral, then you can gamble normal, sacred, or ancestral items from it.

If it is normal, then you can only gamble normal items from it.

If it is sacred, then you can gamble normal or sacred items from it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pretty sure that is the "cap" for that current gamble slot.

If it is ancestral, then you can gamble normal, sacred, or ancestral items from it.

If it is normal, then you can only gamble normal items from it.

If it is sacred, then you can gamble normal or sacred items from it.

It is not, I've gotten ancestral from the sacred slot.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Stux posted:

feels like everything is easily end game viable, just not everything can clear all nightmare dungeons. dont see the issue.

You've got a weird definition of "endgame" or "viable" then. A very generous definition would be a spec that can clear NM tier 50 at level 100 with perfect gear, which would still be a fraction of the difficulty of a tier 100 NM dungeon. I was replying to a poster who was hardstuck with a thorns build against enemies that either do not attack or heal to full with every attack. Seems like a clear example of a spec that is not viable due to trap design decisions.

There's plenty of player abilities and uniques that have a poor fundamental design. Rupture is a great example. All it does is speed up existing damage that would have ticked over the next 5 seconds. Consuming DoTs isn't s new concept, but working off of short 5-second bleeds and with no multiplier means the ability doesn't actually contribute to damage in any meaningful way. And the ability has its own Unique sword which is similarly worthless.

Ultimately I think it's sufficient that an S-tier build be around one order of magnitude better than D-tier. As it stands, it's two or three orders of magnitude better. Buffs and redesigns would be very welcome.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WarpedLichen posted:

It is not, I've gotten ancestral from the sacred slot.

Weird. Maybe it is a weight? Otherwise, I have no idea why they even have rotating categories like that.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

American McGay posted:

Apparently it's, 'if this gambles as a legendary it WILL be at least sacred/ancestral'? More of a floor than a ceiling, but only for legendaries.

Also, laffo, Howl from Below dropped twice in the same dungeon, second pair strictly better, most OTT way of adding a new appearance to my collection ever.

Wonder if Harlequin Crest is a unique appearance...

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

smoobles posted:

This makes complete sense, I was mostly just concerned about the story quest lines because I'm a filthy casual who just wants to do quests and kill skeletons with my sword

The story quests they're adding only relate to the new season mechanic, no major story beats will be added through seasons and are only going to be added through expansions

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For Diablo 4 to be truly successful Season 1 needs to knock it out of the park and there’s only one way they can accomplish that.

The return of Zoltun Kulle.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There better be some sort of cube in season 1.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SettingSun posted:

I'm glad I have FFXVI Path of Exile to play for a while so can recover from D4 burnout before the first season starts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The next PoE league doesn't start until August!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

External Organs posted:

Crucible league is pretty dumb but it's been years since I did some PoE and it's still great. I thought the next league was going to be PoE2?

Anyway, hoping D4 does bring a strong season 1 since I bought the fancy version and I think it comes with a free battle pass and whatever other dumb horse armor poo poo

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

External Organs posted:

It cannot come soon enough. This endgame is so drat dull in its current form.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Syrinxx posted:

Crucible league is pretty dumb but it's been years since I did some PoE and it's still great. I thought the next league was going to be PoE2?

I was hoping for this but they've been tweeting recently about how not to get your hopes up I guess. t:mad:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For Diablo 4 to be truly successful Season 1 needs to knock it out of the park and there’s only one way they can accomplish that.

The return of Zoltun Kulle.

inspecting your character sheet: You were never very imaginative...

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so to clarify something, do higher tier nightmare sigils drop from the tier 1 dungeons or am I supposed to be on WT4 before I can go any higher than tier one? I've done a few now and haven't seen a higher tier sigil drop and crafting is still locked at the occultist

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I think I've gotten a level 2 or 3 sigil on WT3, but climbing the ranks definitely seems like a feature that is meant to be gated behind WT4. Which stinks for leveling from 60-70.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so to clarify something, do higher tier nightmare sigils drop from the tier 1 dungeons or am I supposed to be on WT4 before I can go any higher than tier one? I've done a few now and haven't seen a higher tier sigil drop and crafting is still locked at the occultist

You gotta keep doing them. I had t1s drop in wt3 for a long time then for no reason I can think of I suddenly got drops of higher levels. If you have a high level friend take you through a higher level nm you're all but guaranteed to get one as a drop also.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A cube, rune words, charms, and a helper buddy I can equip are all things I demand in Season 1.

And a functional horse that doesn't warp and get stuck on pebbles.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

CBD Corndog posted:

The story quests they're adding only relate to the new season mechanic, no major story beats will be added through seasons and are only going to be added through expansions

If this is how season 1 goes I see a lot of people dropping off and not looking back, especially if you have to waste time regrinding renown every season. They hopefully knock it out of the park because I don't know that the modern player base is going to be on board.

If eternal renown/quest/map progress was used for seasons I'd have no issue, I like the level and loot treadmill but chasing down way points and getting max renown again just to be at a baseline of class competency is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i just really want a random dungeon delve with actual procgen stuff more than the kinda lame mostly set dungeons, i miss procgen content. the dungeons dont really scratch any sort of itch for me in here esp. in nightmare sigils since theres so few in it