Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Acelerion posted:

I used to design/qualify equipment for 3000m operation and the kind of dramatic hull failure you think about is pretty rare. Its far more likely that O-rings or other seals and feedthroughs were wrong sized / fatigued / or snagged a lip and cut during installation. These kinds of failures can start as small leaks that quickly become a 5000psi pressure washer blast and may actually just slowly fill the tube with freezing water. What Im saying is that its very likely these people knew they hosed up.

Now that's the end I want for the billionaires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mycomancy posted:

loving billionaires always win, even in death.

unsurprising, americans see themselves as temporarily existent submariners

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lmao he took a bunch of private lessons and then did okay in one single novice level BJJ competition and now he says stuff like this.

Honestly it’s almost humanizing, thinking you are a badass after you win a couple white belt BJJ matches is pretty normal but most people lose that pretty quick after some losses.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the article is insane but I support billionaire on billionaire violence

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/21/23769263/mark-zuckerberg-elon-musk-fight-cage-match-worldstar

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

venue: titanic wreck

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I hope Zuck goes Uwe Boll on Elongs rear end

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lol when did we privatize Army hotels?

https://twitter.com/silent_affairs/status/1671332306739695617?t=VOnTQHs6TZjhEWvOHbO6-g&s=19

https://twitter.com/Brett_327/status/1671554344184090625?t=xw93AtW208-wPBuGfdf_1g&s=19

https://twitter.com/YoJeff7/status/1671705652496932865?t=aZfAf2J4WfAg_6YvkeYGLw&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“That may involve spending more than BAH and getting rid of pets.”

lol why can’t we retain anyone?!

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

pnumoman posted:

Now that's the end I want for the billionaires

Innovating means not following industry standards so yah, RIP to our pancake brothers in christ

Also lmao, didn't know this dude was still around doing poo poo: https://kotaku.com/titanic-titan-submarine-missing-search-ultima-garriott-1850561777

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in a safe neighborhood hahah

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

extremely cool that even signing your life away to the imperial war machine can't guarantee basic needs like shelter

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quiggy posted:

extremely cool that even signing your life away to the imperial war machine can't guarantee basic needs like shelter

ah but have u considered euthanizing your pets???

Adulting has been authorized, private :fsmug:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

quiggy posted:

the only lesson american imperialists learned from wwii was never to allow business to be subordinated to the military. that works on one level, by impoverishing the troops, and it works on another insofar as it explains the elite hatred of fdr, the new deal, and kennedy, all of which they believe were imposed on business by the war.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Thoguh posted:

lmao he took a bunch of private lessons and then did okay in one single novice level BJJ competition and now he says stuff like this.

Honestly it’s almost humanizing, thinking you are a badass after you win a couple white belt BJJ matches is pretty normal but most people lose that pretty quick after some losses.

he could absolutely beat up musk though

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Acelerion posted:

I used to design/qualify equipment for 3000m operation and the kind of dramatic hull failure you think about is pretty rare. Its far more likely that O-rings or other seals and feedthroughs were wrong sized / fatigued / or snagged a lip and cut during installation. These kinds of failures can start as small leaks that quickly become a 5000psi pressure washer blast and may actually just slowly fill the tube with freezing water. What Im saying is that its very likely these people knew they hosed up.

hell yeah gonna think about this everytime I feel depressed

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

euphronius posted:

in a safe neighborhood hahah

Base poverty is something else dude

I have family in the service and the unsafe neighborhoods on army bases are some of the worst places in the United States

It's usually just nimby bullshit anywhere else but not living in a lovely area actually matters in this context. Living in a bad neighborhood means getting your house broken into three or four times a year. It's a real pain.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

“That may involve spending more than BAH and getting rid of pets.”

lol why can’t we retain anyone?!

Pay for the privilege of being shot at.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Centrist Committee posted:

the only lesson american imperialists learned from wwii was never to allow business to be subordinated to the military. that works on one level, by impoverishing the troops, and it works on another insofar as it explains the elite hatred of fdr, the new deal, and kennedy, all of which they believe were imposed on business by the war.

I’ve mostly posted about it in the Ukraine and WW3 threads but this is destroying western militaries.

The hope was privatization, digitalization and automation would allow them to maintain the same military capacity while shrinking the state - reversing the trend of all of human history - and they got a false sense of security from colonial policing unipolarity after 1991, but now there is panic.

I was just at a conference for the book “The end of military heroism?” which is about how “there is no such thing as society” may still enable men to kill for a paycheque, but not die for their country. Western soldier is so fragile that it will likely collapse in a peer conflict. See: all of the western volunteers in Ukraine noping out at their first artillery barrage. A problem identified in the mid 80’s, by the way.

The problem is the only way neoliberal states know how to identify and solve problems is literally to hire McKinsey and Company so they get ideas like “those ideas were obsolete anyway who cares?” and think soldier motivation can be beep booped away or “reinventing heroics” where soldiers will want to die for a country that offers them nothing because The Market will take the same place in their hearts as God, King, Country.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Jun 22, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

The timer thing is very grotesque

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

commodus' wrestling coach strangled him in the bath ftw.

was just reading about this last night, what a weird coincidence

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Gorson posted:

Would love to read more of your thoughts on this and any other stories you might have about the industry.

:same:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
these guys would have probably fared better going several miles up

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Thoguh posted:

it's pretty great that two of the richest people on earth are as emotionally mature as a teenager

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

corona familiar posted:

submarine occupants bearish! sell!

lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nothus posted:

I hope Zuck goes Uwe Boll on Elongs rear end

Musk is probably such a natural bitch that zuck having even a novice understanding of BJJ could take him down. that's my hope

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Very much looking forward to seeing musk lowtax posting after he gets his rear end completely rocked in the cage

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
:qq: it was supposed to be a publicity stunt

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the sub thing was going to turn out to be a publicity stunt where the lovely sub owner was bankrupt and would send them down to hide for a few days and pop back up at the last minute with a harrowing tale/movie deal and celebrity status for the occupants but i guess they did die, RIP

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve mostly posted about it in the Ukraine and WW3 threads but this is destroying western militaries.

The hope was privatization, digitalization and automation would allow them to maintain the same military capacity while shrinking the state - reversing the trend of all of human history - and they got a false sense of security from colonial policing unipolarity after 1991, but now there is panic.

I was just at a conference for the book “The end of military heroism?” which is about how “there is no such thing as society” may still enable men to kill for a paycheque, but not die for their country. Western soldier is so fragile that it will likely collapse in a peer conflict. See: all of the western volunteers in Ukraine noping out at their first artillery barrage. A problem identified in the mid 80’s, by the way.

The problem is the only way neoliberal states know how to identify and solve problems is literally to hire McKinsey and Company so they get ideas like “those ideas were obsolete anyway who cares?” and think soldier motivation can be beep booped away or “reinventing heroics” where soldiers will want to die for a country that offers them nothing because The Market will take the same place in their hearts as God, King, Country.

an empire hoist by its own contradictions, sad! I enjoy your view from inside the beast. has the ukraine thread slowed down enough to follow passively? it was too much for me to keep
up with

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Risutora posted:

he could absolutely beat up musk though

so could anyone posting in this thread

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Good

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lol that you can be totally stable as a married E5 somewhere but get orders to be stationed in the PNW and your family gets forced to drain their savings account until you're broke and get kicked out of your hotel penniless because you're still on the waitlist for on-base housing. Oh yeah, better not have pets- get rid of your dog that you've had for 8 years

Wonder if/when they start letting families stay in the barracks. Toddlers stumbling into the room next door as joes are playing beer pong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Comparison elsewhere is the US is full on Qing Dynasty levels of diffusion of responsibility with useless puppet rulers oligarchs with actual power having no conception of material conditions and no ability to deal with them, and probably end up killing themselves the moment the barbarians are at the gates

Thoguh posted:

Honestly that'd probably be enough to beat Musk

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly that'd probably be enough to beat Musk

Imagine Musk committing to any kind of training regimen. I literally cannot grasp onto the image in my minds eye. It's like trying to conceive of a 4 sided triangle.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he literally doesn't have the attention span to stop tweeting for 15 minutes, how the gently caress is he gonna train for anything

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he's like gonna put the mma gloves on one time, do 5 minutes, then take them off to use his phone and never put them on ever again

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I thought the sub thing was going to turn out to be a publicity stunt where the lovely sub owner was bankrupt and would send them down to hide for a few days and pop back up at the last minute with a harrowing tale/movie deal and celebrity status for the occupants but i guess they did die, RIP

My thoughts and prayers go out to the billionaire submariners, who likely either died excruciatingly under a tremendous amount of PSI, or after constantly making GBS threads and pissing themselves as the cold water leaked into their pitch black coffin.

In either case, I'd like to extend my thanks to the orcas.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

Imagine Musk committing to any kind of training regimen. I literally cannot grasp onto the image in my minds eye. It's like trying to conceive of a 4 sided triangle.

What, a pyramid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SKULL.GIF posted:

What, a pyramid?

A pyramid is not a triangle. A man who trains is not a Musk.

Also, pyramids have 5 sides. You're thinking of a tetrahedron, which is also not a triangle, even if its constituent sides are.