Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

crudely drawn cock

The guy who sang You Were Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Meister on sparkling form today

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

I apologise for interrupting goondolences with a crudely drawn cock. RIP to your dad OP, he sounds like a good chap

cockdolences

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Albinator posted:

I hope the thread will not mind me marking the passing of noted lefty historian - and also my dad - Willie Thompson. He wrote a book or two that some might be interested in (NB, if you see Google calling him a Northern Irish Unionist politician, that was some other fucker).

Condolences, sorry his name got mixed up with a gobshite of a politician from over here.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

In general I like John Harris, he's one of the few Grauniad journos who doesn't just wait on talking points from the Labour right.

He's a oval office, OP.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

And in contrast he interviews the Green candidate who is knowledgeable, personable, and exudes a reasonable amount of confidence in his ability - he knows he's cycling uphill but cares enough to try.

In general I like John Harris, he's one of the few Grauniad journos who doesn't just wait on talking points from the Labour right.

That's right, he spent all of the Corbyn years going to every corner of the country to find a new racist to say Corbyn wasn't racist enough.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's right, he spent all of the Corbyn years going to every corner of the country to find a new racist to say Corbyn wasn't racist enough.

Is it his fault that Britain is full of racists?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Interest rates up 0.5%, to 5%. The BoE is getting really panicky now about inflation.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Finally Starmer is getting to grips with the real issues

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/06/21/keir-starmer-children-self-identifying-as-cats/

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Every time I think the public discourse can't get any stupider, something comes along to prove me wrong.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yes that's it Starmer. Put down your flag on issues that are about completely made up stories.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith showing he’s prepared to get up and boogie to any tune the media decides to toot. Pathetic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Every time I think the public discourse can't get any stupider, something comes along to prove me wrong.

Christman's Law - also applicable to UK

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/822504053057929218?t=u3PjnlZcp1_RmyV8boPL2g&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

He's a oval office, OP.

Aye, he thinks Britpop was a cultural high point for Britain, rather a deeply superficial "cultural moment" that was made up by the desperate music press that he worked for. Deeply sus. No wonder he's a loving melt when his nostalgia is for a time where Tony Blair took office & hadn't had enough time to confirm he was just Thatcher with a smile & a posh education. And I say that as someone who quite enjoys a lot of the Britpop bands to some degree or another, but there's still something quite conservative about it in how backwards looking it was. Like the musical howls of a nation desperately grasping with the realisation that "poo poo, it's all downhill from here, & has been downhill from decades", so looking back at a time when the descent wasn't quite so rapid.

And my god was there a lot of landfill indie attached to the scene & what came out of it. And stuff like Coldplay that merely should have been landfill indie.

Mega Comrade posted:

Is it his fault that Britain is full of racists?

It's his fault for giving them a voice, & magically never finding anyone who isn't racist. And as someone who lives in the imperial periphery, yes, they exist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

According to the beeb, the overconfident head of the company from the video is on board the sub:

https://youtu.be/Lqb_4zcI708

If they get out alive, I really feel like he will learn absolutely nothing. With the oxygen running out I am pretty sure they have all tried to choke each other out to preserve the remaing supply for themselves.

80% they ate someone by now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Alas if you are trying to get the opinion of every day voters in the UK, avoiding racist opinions is impossible.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1671776584410202113?t=YNJqGddj3GYSTDIk-co8hA&s=19
Please god two men enter, nobody leaves.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

I heard that shite on some daytime TV program a few days ago. Lol that keef is getting his talking points from there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At what point do we start actually treating these psychogenic "panics" as legit mental illness?

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1671848957004193793?t=QD2sO4RpfhgE814kFoS--g&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That kid is definitely getting the nickname Rimmer tho

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
surely this interest rate rise is the one that’ll solve inflation

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Why can't we identify as Attack Helicopters, like in the good old days? :colbert:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Let kids be kids brigade setting up the imagination gestapo to ensure that kids remain kids only. no you aren't going to be a dionosaur when you grow up you stupid loving child >:^[

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Facebook auntie rear end discourse for a Facebook auntie rear end country.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1671850534460858368?s=46&t=J-qAkVQ91RIQ09zcyMCwgA
None of this could possibly be a group of kids taking the piss out of their gullible dumb-as-poo poo reactionary teachers, of course.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

Let kids be kids brigade setting up the imagination gestapo to ensure that kids remain kids only. no you aren't going to be a dionosaur when you grow up you stupid loving child >:^[

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Payndz posted:

None of this could possibly be a group of kids taking the piss out of their gullible dumb-as-poo poo reactionary teachers, of course.

It's not even that, it's "Winterval" levels of make-it-up-and-say-yes-but-what-if

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure she knows that every time she makes up bullshit, she gets her face in the news and gets invited onto TV shows so just gonna ride that grift train because the consequences don't hurt her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

He's a oval office, OP.

Gonzo McFee posted:

He was absolutely part of the Corbyn deranged side of things but he does do good interviews even if he does always manage to find the worst racists in Britain. But in that podcast for instance he encountered a 60-year old who was rather obviously a Corbynite and didn't treat her with disrespect, which is more than I can say for any other interviewer you'd see these days. He does poo poo on Starmer's Labour too in his final thoughts.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Sanford posted:

It’s what he would have wanted, probably? It’s what I’d want. Deceased goondad genuinely was a really top bloke, if you look him up he had a list of lefty credentials (redentials?) as long as your arm a giant Plymouth pavement knob.

I don't think he would have minded at all, but he would have followed it up with an extemporaneous lecture on ribald humour and graffiti as form of resistance to oppression, with special reference to 1789 and 1917.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they've helped a lot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/DanWei55/status/1671826083023319042?s=20

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

"Conservatives believe in small government and councils being autonomous... except when they do anything we don't like"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

He was absolutely part of the Corbyn deranged side of things but he does do good interviews even if he does always manage to find the worst racists in Britain. But in that podcast for instance he encountered a 60-year old who was rather obviously a Corbynite and didn't treat her with disrespect, which is more than I can say for any other interviewer you'd see these days. He does poo poo on Starmer's Labour too in his final thoughts.

John Harris is the platonic ideal of the columnist who went full scorched earth on any left-wing movement in this country and then immediately shifted to "Labour needs to find its radical voice" once he'd helped guarantee that any actual radical change was now impossible.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1671876091169112064

He's so poo poo at this :allears:

I'm sure billionaire Rishi will be ok, and he'll get through this.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What, actually, constitutes illegal streaming? If you happen to come across a video online that someone else accidentally posted on a website and your computer has a glitch and suddenly you find the video downloading, does that count?
Or does it mean they've found a way of hacking into sky premium? (I only watch Freesat from sky channels).

(Genuine question! I'm really not sure.)

https://twitter.com/CityPolice/status/1671548544011104256?s=20

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What, actually, constitutes illegal streaming? If you happen to come across a video online that someone else accidentally posted on a website and your computer has a glitch and suddenly you find the video downloading, does that count?
Or does it mean they've found a way of hacking into sky premium? (I only watch Freesat from sky channels).

(Genuine question! I'm really not sure.)

https://twitter.com/CityPolice/status/1671548544011104256?s=20

They’ll almost always be re-streaming a sky feed to people with those dodgy little set top boxes that come preloaded with links to said re-streams.

It’s never someone watching the streams, always the people monetising it because that’s where the money to reclaim your allegedly lost revenue is. Same thing with pirating anything, they only ever go after the distributors and that’s when people using things like BitTorrent get caught in the crossfire because you’re technically distributing that while you’re downloading it since that’s how P2P works.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They almost certainly have arrested people who were generating the streams (fpr profit) and not those watching them,

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

John Harris is the platonic ideal of the columnist who went full scorched earth on any left-wing movement in this country and then immediately shifted to "Labour needs to find its radical voice" once he'd helped guarantee that any actual radical change was now impossible.

Yeah, this is true. I still think he can hold a decent interview, and today's was funny. Doesn't mean I support his overall messaging, particularly about a viable Labour left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Goondolences, he sounds like a real top guy.

Unlike the city of London police who are loving cunts