Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

phosdex posted:

Can you get a Blackwing or corvette without adm though? Alex just put out a vid with 3 special edition GR toyotas that you won't be able to get. At least with an m2 or m3, those are available with minimal markups from what I understand, certainly a waitlist.

It looks like Corvettes aren't easy to find in inventory, but I found one not too far from me without adm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

phosdex posted:

Can you get a Blackwing or corvette without adm though? Alex just put out a vid with 3 special edition GR toyotas that you won't be able to get. At least with an m2 or m3, those are available with minimal markups from what I understand, certainly a waitlist.

Im pretty sure your going to need to travel but yes.
Ive seen posts on forums of dealerships selling them without ADM. The main part is if its custom order, your going to be waiting a while.

Insane on those pics posted of the ADM sheets for those ITS. As just mentioned, you can get a Manual M3 or loaded up M2 for those prices.
The grill of the M3 looks a weird in pics but its not as bad in person. I cannot fathom having $75K of spending money, and picking the ITS over an Isle of Man Green M3 with a stick.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The c7 Corvette is really growing on me now that I see c8s on the road and how ugly they are in real life. A MT c7 seems like a good buy and hold currently.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I still think the C7 is the sweet spot corvette.
It made a ton of improvement that I wanted from both my C5 and C6.
I'm just waiting for them to go down in price more.
Or for GM to speed up making C8s so that old racist boomers who never drive their C7s in the first place can be able to upgrade and sell me their old one with 3000 miles on it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

phosdex posted:

In my area the CT4-V Blackwing currently is selling for 2K off MSRP due to an incentive from Cadillac, before negotiations. I would imagine I could get about 5K total off sticker pretty easily for one priced in the 60's, and maybe a little more for one optioned up into the 70's. 1 of my local dealers has 10 on the lot right now, including one of the special limited edition Watkins Glen IMSA models in Electric Blue. No one wants to pay 87K for a special edition CT4-V blackwing though.

The San Antonio and Austin Acura dealers have Integra Type-S's listed on their website for MSRP. No idea if they will sell them at MSRP or not. Every market is different though, I'm sure a dealer in Southern California can command ADM on one.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
One of my local dealers told me they're selling ITS at MSRP, no markups. However, they are stuffing them with all the OE dealer-installed geegaws and doodads.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEmI1cp-KBg

Don't think anyone's surprised that Nissan's doing this, but always nice to get confirmation. New bumper style is much improved over the regular one.
Curious what the power figures will be.

I have not seen a single new Z on the roads near me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was a stop-sale due to transmission issues (and now they're having paint issues with a new sustainability-focused paint or something according to The Drive). I've seen some on AutoTempest with at least $10K markups though. Sport trims at Performance trim prices, Performance trims at :lmao: prices

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

I have not seen a single new Z on the roads near me.

They've only sold around 750 int he US up to the end of March

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-ceo-admits-it-was-a-mistake-to-abandon-butto-1850557609

quote:

Volkswagen CEO Admits It Was A Mistake To Abandon Buttons And Other Physical Controls

Thomas Schäfer just threw Herbert Diess under the bus.

The current Volkswagen GTI may be a better performance car than its predecessor, but for a lot of people that doesn’t really matter. They won’t even consider the new GTI (or any number of other new Volkswagens) because it almost entirely lacks physical controls. Want to change the climate control at night? Well, good luck doing it quickly because that now requires you to use slide controls that aren’t even backlit. As frustrating as that may be, the good news is, Volkswagen seems to have at least partly learned the error of its ways.

Speaking with Autocar, Volkswagen CEO Thomas Schäfer said the new Tiguan gets a few more physical controls than some of the other vehicles in the lineup because customers really don’t like haptic inputs. He then went so far as to say that his predecessor Herbert Diess’s decision to go that route “definitely did a lot of damage” to the brand.

“We had frustrated customers who shouldn’t be frustrated. So we’ve spent a lot of time now – working through really systematically – on what all the functions are that a customer usually touches when using a vehicle,” Schäfer told Autocar. “We rank them. What are the most important ones? Which ones need to go on buttons? Which one needs to go on the screen? First level, second level, third level? And where do you intuitively reach when you want to switch on the light?”

Once that’s done, he told Autocar there’s still more work to do, saying, “Should it be a button? Should it be a switch? And then you can work on the aesthetics of it. When you do buttons, it’s better to do few buttons, but really nice buttons - like an aeroplane: what are the haptics of it? We worked through this with a massive team. It took us quite a bit of time. It was an Excel spreadsheet as big as a room, but you have to do that.”

He then promised that the upcoming Volkswagen ID.2 would really show off the results of this new approach — one that also focuses on making sure controls are intuitively placed so customers are less likely to have to break out the owner’s manual to figure out how to change something. We’ll have to see how far they go, though, because after all, buttons and switches are significantly more expensive than touchscreens.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

A lot of it is probably also just a very very bad implementation of moving the buttons functions onto the screen. There are companies that have moved a lot of the buttons onto their infotainment screens without nearly the backlash. VW just did the absolute worst job of it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Always weird to me that VW group doesn’t seem to share ideas internally. Porsche and Audi do a good job mixing buttons and screens. Obviously you can’t just copy paste due to cost issues, but I would have thought there would be adapting synergies. There was probably a group that was really pushing for these awful touch screen “button” things and bulldozed everyone with “savings” and now here there are.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kill me now posted:

A lot of it is probably also just a very very bad implementation of moving the buttons functions onto the screen. There are companies that have moved a lot of the buttons onto their infotainment screens without nearly the backlash. VW just did the absolute worst job of it.

There is a ton of backlash against touch controls and it absolutely will be looked back on a 'yeah they tried to save manufacturing costs and it ended up sucking really bad'

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KakerMix posted:

There is a ton of backlash against touch controls and it absolutely will be looked back on a 'yeah they tried to save manufacturing costs and it ended up sucking really bad'

The Model Y was the best selling car in the world in Q1 and has no buttons. People here complain but the larger car buying public mostly doesn’t give a poo poo except when the implementation is notably horrible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Model Y was the best selling car in the world in Q1 and has no buttons. People here complain but the larger car buying public mostly doesn’t give a poo poo except when the implementation is notably horrible.

Yeah and the Chevy Citation was a big seller too which is why I said "looked back on"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KakerMix posted:

Yeah and the Chevy Citation was a big seller too which is why I said "looked back on"

I don’t think it’s really analogous to malaise era cars and I don’t think the trend is going to reverse. It’s more like the death of the manual where enthusiasts bemoan how much worse everything is now and the other 99% of the car buying public world does not give a poo poo.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Tesla has a lot of other strengths (availability, charging network, value for money, efficiency) and also the best possible implementation of all touchscreen.

I don't think other manufacturers (especially VW) can get away with the same thing because they don't have any of those other advantages and generally such at software.

E. It may be a dumb detail but I think the parking sensor thing is going to be what sinks Telsa. It's the first really visble example of just how fallible Tesla's approach to things is.

dissss fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 22, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the general public makes car buying decisions based on touchscreen controls either way, but I also don't know anyone who especially loves them. The most positive reaction I've ever gotten to my complaining on FB or Discord is, "I don't know why you are so intense about this. My car has a touch screen and it was fine when I got used to it."

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've basically converted mostly to Toyota because they're the only ones sticking to physical buttons and it has more to do with their lack of pushing the envelope when it comes to innovation than it does anything conscious design choice, I'm sure.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Its 100% this. People like technology as long as it isn't a complete dogshit implementation of it. The average buyer sees a bigger screen or sleeker interior and gets excited. The same way that most people get excited to get a new phone or tablet. Tech is fun and exciting for the average person until proven otherwise buy something that is super inconvenient.

The "oooohhh shiny" effect is real

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

Always weird to me that VW group doesn’t seem to share ideas internally. Porsche and Audi do a good job mixing buttons and screens. Obviously you can’t just copy paste due to cost issues, but I would have thought there would be adapting synergies. There was probably a group that was really pushing for these awful touch screen “button” things and bulldozed everyone with “savings” and now here there are.

I imagine that VAG is probably so enormous that it has multiple competing fiefdoms that compete with each other and hate each other.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Audi's haptic touchscreen thing doesn't appeal to me much more than VWs does. Bring back the knobs, you fools.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

https://jalopnik.com/rivian-says-r2-will-be-revealed-next-year-and-cost-abou-1850556968

Man how lucky am I to get to play this game twice? In 1 decade? #Blessed

So my original build for the 1RT was like $75K and years of waiting to get. Then it magically jumped to $93K.
But now, I will have a chance to get in on the ground floor of the R2 which is TOTALLY going to be "About $40K"
Planning this out in my head, Ill do my build, and it will probably actually be $60K. Then I can pause and not do it since delivery wont be 2027. Then a few months into production, they can do the "Inflation and rising cost" speech and put the new price at 75K!
I'll be right back where I started with a lesser truck!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I imagine that VAG is probably so enormous that it has multiple competing fiefdoms that compete with each other and hate each other.

They absolutely do. A good example is that a Chattanooga car will have have specs defined by Germany, engineering done by Mexico, and quality/logistics/etc done in the US. Corporate oversight is a different branch out of Detroit. None of those groups answer to others and corporate acts through the assembly plant which has the least sway. They're just fundamentally incapable of making decisions because of their insane bureaucracy.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

VAG is probably so enormous

sorry.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Throatwarbler posted:

The c7 Corvette is really growing on me now that I see c8s on the road and how ugly they are in real life. A MT c7 seems like a good buy and hold currently.

The c8 is really good looking, tho.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Cars are getting so expensive and hard to come by, long term reliability is creeping up on my list of priorities.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

There’s something about the proportions that’s just off. I don’t even know what it is.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

fknlo posted:

There’s something about the proportions that’s just off. I don’t even know what it is.

The arse is slightly too long, in order to fit all the golf bags in the boot.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The arse is slightly too long, in order to fit all the golf bags in the boot.

Dat golf booty.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MrLogan posted:

Absolute lunacy. Worst looking mid-engine car on the market by a country mile.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Q_res posted:

Absolute lunacy. Worst looking mid-engine car on the market by a country mile.

Still looks better than most sedans and literally every crossover.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

There are angles where the C8 looks great. There are other angles where it looks like poo poo.
Watching one turn around in front of you is a series of emotions. Lust, then Embarrassment.
Front view and diagonal view from front perspective looks good.
Straight side shot looks OK but also kinda weird.
Rear and diagonal shot from rear perspective look loving weird.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2023

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The c8 is truly a land of contrasts,

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't know people didn't like the C8 besides old Corvette dudes. I love the C8, it has a unique look, but also makes you think you're looking at a new Ferrari model or something. This guy that lives a few blocks from me has one, it has not been driven in months I would guess, and I only get a peek when the garage happens to be open.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think the front is Bad, and I do like the side, but the rear is just a blocky, ugly mess IMO.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Outside, the C8 is fine with me. On the inside, that center console buttress with the button strip can get hosed.

KakerMix posted:

I rip on new cars all the time and the C8 is cool as heck, ESPECIALLY the buttress center console.

:(

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 23, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think the interior looks cool, but I've never sat in one :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I rip on new cars all the time and the C8 is cool as heck, ESPECIALLY the buttress center console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Rusty posted:

I didn't know people didn't like the C8 besides old Corvette dudes. I love the C8, it has a unique look, but also makes you think you're looking at a new Ferrari model or something. This guy that lives a few blocks from me has one, it has not been driven in months I would guess, and I only get a peek when the garage happens to be open.

That's my least favorite thing about it. I catch a glimpse in my peripheral vision that makes me think, "exotic?" Then I turn to look and awww, it's just another Corvette.