Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the sex ghost posted:

ff15, much like the sopranos, the wire, and breaking bad, is about guys hanging out and nothing else

*nods* and Moby-Dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1671895482925461509?t=FqTKiDg5WBuPQpITi_73Bg&s=19

has this :sam: ever played a FF before lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
drat... final fantasy story being about magical nonsense... never would have guessed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Fuckyes, can't wait to take Bowser to various diners, drive-ins, and dive in between combats.

Bowser Everywhere would fit RIGHT into a Mario game come to think of it. That's basically Paper Mario TTYD where he shows up specifically at the most unexpected moments with little acknowledgement besides the bewilderment of the protagonists.

Heath posted:

Not sure if killing the cop in your head is meant as like consciously distancing your thought process from normative ideas of socially acceptable or unacceptable thoughts and how you interpret the world or if it's just engaging in extremely vivid fantasies about murdering a police officer

It's more about killing the need to enforce arbitrary and pointless social norms and upholding power structures you don't even benefit from, but that probably helps too. Though I suppose it depends what you're murdering the police officer for.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Social norms and power structures kick rear end!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there was a fun social media bit where people decided to read moby-dick and found out that it was mostly about dudes hanging out on a boat

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*guy playing ff8* what, the tight political thriller about child mercenaries and presidential assassinations is now about flying schools and witches?? Someone should have taken a second pass over this script

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol ff thread ftw

FWIW it wasn't anyone in the thread with that bad take, it was imported from twitter (of course).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FF8 is epic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh i love everything about ff8 except the combat system which was designed by deranged people

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

FWIW it wasn't anyone in the thread with that bad take, it was imported from twitter (of course).

A couple people agreed with it though...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

drat... final fantasy story being about magical nonsense... never would have guessed

if I play through this game and it makes complete sense to me I'm going to mail him anthrax [not actionable, I don't have a hookup for that]

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ff8 is about traveling the world to feed your crippling addiction to a card game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they should have replaced the entire combat and character systems in ff8 with triple triad

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

It's my favourite and squall is cool actually

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mycot posted:

one person had that take

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't particularly care for how ff8 plays but I loved everything else about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pretty much every single FF since IV has been about politics mixed with magical nonsense. It’s why the games are so good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
evil corporations are destroying the planet and making people miserable... and theres this motherfucker with a giant sword going around starting poo poo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the sounds and visuals of FF8 are great. the aesthetic is immaculate. everything else is a little half-baked and required them to haphazardly pull people off several other projects, like Xenogears, to try and get it together iirc

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Normally when people complain about everything turning into "magic nonsense", what they mean is that they thought the characters were interesting so they preferred that the initial conflict was about their motivations and personalities and not "someone touched the magic rocks and now they're bad." Which I think is sympathetic. But I would still play Final Fantasy 16 if I had a PS5.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the sex ghost posted:

It's my favourite and squall is cool actually

That boy is dead

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually II is about politics too isn’t it. I haven’t played it more than a few minutes honestly though I will probably play the pixel remaster at some point

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Actually II is about politics too isn’t it. I haven’t played it more than a few minutes honestly though I will probably play the pixel remaster at some point

its about emperor david bowie conquering the world with the powers of hell itself

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

:hai:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

it's an emperor taking the world, city by city, and you do a bunch of guerilla poo poo until you finally kill him and then he comes back from hell having taken over that too

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
FF6 was honesty almost prescient in the way it dealt with some issues that are still relevant to the modern day, in a way that maybe only MGS 2 has ever rivaled.

Truly, Woolsey was ahead of his time.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
galuf! galuf! galuf is on fire!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they changed it to son of a sandworm in the gba and pr localization smh...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I love when you think games are over but then the world gets nuked or something and it turns out there is a quarter left

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ted woolsey ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FutureFriend posted:

ted woolsey ftw

This. I will never respect the new translations for FF6 and CT. Faux-medieval speech Cyan and Frog forever

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thankfully it's only ancient nerds who even know Woolsey's name enough to complain about him. he did fantastic work with the time and resources they gave him

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Seeing characters act crazy after drinking apple juice actually made me scared to drink it as a kid.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
woolsey had 30 days to localize and translate each game while having to deal with hardware limitations and nintendos censorship policies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't ff7 done in like two weeks or some poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wasn't ff7 done in like two weeks or some poo poo

final fantasy 8 had to be translated using a gameshark to view the script because squaresoft never sent the files to the localization team lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

ff15, much like the sopranos, the wire, and breaking bad, is about guys hanging out and nothing else

its freaking stand by me. the game starts with freaking stand by me. its 4 dudes going to see a dead body but the fat one is jacked