Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

Incidentally, about Ryoshu's new EGO - she's a Spider Bud from LobCorp.

Which really seems to confirm she had a kid, like her literary inspiration.

tbf who gets what EGO seems to be mostly arbitrary outside of story-related stuff like Rime Shank and Legerdemain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yinlock posted:

tbf who gets what EGO seems to be mostly arbitrary outside of story-related stuff like Rime Shank and Legerdemain

Not really. For most characters we don't know because we haven't fully seen their stories, but you can generally see how an EGOs motif applies to a character. Except maybe Lifetime Stew.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Not really. For most characters we don't know because we haven't fully seen their stories, but you can generally see how an EGOs motif applies to a character. Except maybe Lifetime Stew.

Gregor's EGO selection is entirely "would it be cool to make an arm out of this"

Faust also gets Telepole for some reason. And 4th Match Flame seems to have been handed out randomly

as an aside if you want to see the least-effort EGO animation in the entire game check out Rodion's match flame. HE my rear end

e: this isn't a complaint mind you, just saying that you can't really tell anything definite about a character from what EGO they have

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

Gregor's EGO selection is entirely "would it be cool to make an arm out of this"

Gregor is actually the worst character to make this argument with because his two additional EGO are all about his inability to control the hunger and parasitism inherent in his mutant arm. Also how much he hates it but cannot get rid of it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Gregor is actually the worst character to make this argument with because his two additional EGO are all about his inability to control the hunger and parasitism inherent in his mutant arm. Also how much he hates it but cannot get rid of it.

In those cases the specific EGO matters less than the arm itself, which is the point because the his murder bug arm colors everything he does and he can't escape it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yinlock posted:

In those cases the specific EGO matters less than the arm itself, which is the point because the his murder bug arm colors everything he does and he can't escape it.

The EGO both come from Abnormalities that present something helpful and good hiding something destructive, hungering and monstrous.

Which is the whole bit of Gregor willingly joining the G Corp experiments thinking they'd do something good for him, only to instead leave him traumatised and a monster. Also the bit about him being the poster boy for G Corp and tricking others into joining only for them to be even worse mutated.

Gregor absolutely is able to resonate with the Golden Apple and the Faelantern might be an aberration of the Fairy Festival or Meat Lantern Abnormalities.

Also the story has been pretty clear that you have to somehow resonate with the abnormality to use its EGO even with the mirror stuff.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 21, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

gently caress i was gonna edit the post with an example but got distracted. anyways:

Like for example, if we take 4th Match Flame, which is an EGO for Yi Sang, Ryoshu and Rodion. Scorched Girl is an abno that represents wishing for a better future, only for your hopes and dreams to be blown up, maybe by yourself.

-For Yi Sang, it probably represents how his hopes and dreams of his youth were burned due to the creation of the mirror.

-For Rodion, it clearly matches with how she killed the tax collector to help her people only for them to be killed.

-And for Ryoshu... no idea, cause we don't know her full deal yet! That's the point. But we can make assumptions. Ishmael clearly has Pink Shoes and Ardor Blossom Moth for a reason (both being related to obsession that binds you/burns you to death).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fair enough, you guys make some good points and I was just being kinda stubborn about it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yinlock posted:

Fair enough, you guys make some good points and I was just being kinda stubborn about it

To be fair, telling specific things about a character based on the EGO isn't really easy, it's more the other way around. You can use knowledge of the character to work out how a given EGO resonates with them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I mean, yes, they just handed Fourth Match Flame to everyone who's depressed* and the Faust Telepole connection is loose**, but it's not like it's completely arbitrary. Even if they were making decisions purely based on vibes, they've been largely successful at making those vibes fit and you can mine some good takes on these characters from them.

*Yi Sang? Depressed, we had a whole chapter about it. Rodion? Depressed and self-medicating with a gambling addiction. Ryoshu? You've seen the art for Forest for the Flames, no one who isn't processing grief badly lays down like that.

**Overall, Telepole's vibes in general are that the user has a mystique from a distance, but when you look closer they're suffering and being arbitrarily jerked around by some kind of higher force out of their control. Don's controlled by heroic delusions, Heathcliff has searing anger issues, etc. But "what is Faust's deal?" seems like one of the long-term mysteries that Limbus is going to take its time unraveling, so right now all we can do is make allusions to the play and go "uh... lightning could be knowledge, which Faust seems to value above all else???".

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean, yes, they just handed Fourth Match Flame to everyone who's depressed* and the Faust Telepole connection is loose**, but it's not like it's completely arbitrary. Even if they were making decisions purely based on vibes, they've been largely successful at making those vibes fit and you can mine some good takes on these characters from them.

*Yi Sang? Depressed, we had a whole chapter about it. Rodion? Depressed and self-medicating with a gambling addiction. Ryoshu? You've seen the art for Forest for the Flames, no one who isn't processing grief badly lays down like that.

**Overall, Telepole's vibes in general are that the user has a mystique from a distance, but when you look closer they're suffering and being arbitrarily jerked around by some kind of higher force out of their control. Don's controlled by heroic delusions, Heathcliff has searing anger issues, etc. But "what is Faust's deal?" seems like one of the long-term mysteries that Limbus is going to take its time unraveling, so right now all we can do is make allusions to the play and go "uh... lightning could be knowledge, which Faust seems to value above all else???".

Faust seem to follow the trope of the intelligent character that MUST discover something/occupy themselve because otherwise they get bored and everyone suffer from it. Maybe controlled by her desire to be all-knowing/keeping the façade of a genius?

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Yinlock posted:

Also possible is that she's just her own Thing and doesn't really fall into either classification

I think she was (relatively) normal starting out but uh millenia spent in a brain tube probably did not help

I'm more referring to being charismatic enough to recruit people like kali (and most of the rest of the team). like even if her morals were still intact there was absolutely something going on there. also the cogito thing like i would not be surprised if she was making cogito while she was alive and walking around somehow

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
being charismatic enough to attract like a dozen people to your cause isn't a sinister super power lol

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I just figured Rodya got FMF because she wanted out of the cold enough to bash someone's head in with an axe. :shrug:

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Ryoshu also has a special thing with FMF: Her resonance with it is such that it operates at a higher level compared to everyone else. She's obviously really got a thing for fire, like Pyrophilia or something.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TeeQueue posted:

I just figured Rodya got FMF because she wanted out of the cold enough to bash someone's head in with an axe. :shrug:

And here I thought the cold never bothered her anyway. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, I'd assume Ryoshu has 4th Match Flame because in the story she's based on her daughter burns to death while she watches

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yinlock posted:

why is he like this

he's ideal

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not to mention Ryoshu is veeery likely to be a former member of the Ring, given the Five Fingers in her EGO art and promo, and her artisty vibe which checks with the original story.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

YES bread posted:

being charismatic enough to attract like a dozen people to your cause isn't a sinister super power lol

hell dongbaek had a whole terrorist organization and her(surface-level) cause was total nonsense

e:

KobunFan posted:

Ryoshu also has a special thing with FMF: Her resonance with it is such that it operates at a higher level compared to everyone else. She's obviously really got a thing for fire, like Pyrophilia or something.

The animation is like 2 seconds but Rodion's is also HE. Yi Sang is the only one stuck with TETH

e2: speaking of EGO theming shoutouts to Yi Sang for sticking to his Sloth guns for the most part, 4th is Wrath but still has a point of Sloth thrown in and Dimension Shredder is Sloth/Gluttony-based despite being a Pride EGO

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 22, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

hell dongbaek had a whole terrorist organization and her(surface-level) cause was total nonsense

past tense because she was murdered by a funny man in a Hawaiian shirt, a cannibal chef, and a man in a rabbit hat

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Something I just noticed is that in the fanfiction community, before the Dante Notes explained their sleeping arrangement, people just figured it out that the sinner slept in the bus or in hotel, so PM just deciding to add a whole pocket dimension similar to the Backroom is pretty hilarious to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, one thing I wanted to point out: It's actually Don, of all people, who notices/guesses that Dongrang's Distorting. Do you think she's seen it happen before to a friend? Maybe she distorted, but Moses saved her, and that's why she idolizes Fixers so much?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Something I just noticed is that in the fanfiction community, before the Dante Notes explained their sleeping arrangement, people just figured it out that the sinner slept in the bus or in hotel, so PM just deciding to add a whole pocket dimension similar to the Backroom is pretty hilarious to me.

But was there only one bed?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Junpei posted:

So, one thing I wanted to point out: It's actually Don, of all people, who notices/guesses that Dongrang's Distorting. Do you think she's seen it happen before to a friend? Maybe she distorted, but Moses saved her, and that's why she idolizes Fixers so much?

don't be silly, without the full library you can't save a distortio-

[funny chicken sideplot]

--

DropTheAnvil posted:

I don't know if Mili is doing a call back to one of their other songs Camelia in the song lyrics you posted above.

This one, I assume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcCu31oi7Q

Gonna have to listen to more but it's a VERY different song but... provisionally is related, I guess? Proto-theory: Mili is, in this song, coming at the camelia flower and its petals from the basically opposite direction from Spicebush.

respect to the instrumental folks on this one

e: and i mean i'll never disrespect an accordionist, every single one is an insane music person and that's worth respecting

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 22, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

e: multiposted

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 22, 2023

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Countzer posted:

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1671057251694682113

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1671060583058374657

K-Corp Excision Staff Hong Lu & Spider Ryoshu EGO. About time we got a K-Corp identity. If it's got charge I imagine with Dimension Shredder Hong Lu is gonna be one difficult identity to kill.

Glad to see a K Corp. ID at last, as well as another classic E.G.O.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that N Corp. now has more competition for the title of "Worst Wing", now that we've seen a Nest that is so bad the Backstreets seem appealing?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Quackles posted:

But was there only one bed?

BUT THERE WAS ONLY ONE BED!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that N Corp. now has more competition for the title of "Worst Wing", now that we've seen a Nest that is so bad the Backstreets seem appealing?

As a resident, K Corp still seems pretty appealing, tho? There's the risk of the higher up deciding hey this would make a great snuff film if you get in serious poo poo, yeah, but most of the suffering is frontloaded by their singularity?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Marluxia posted:

As a resident, K Corp still seems pretty appealing, tho? There's the risk of the higher up deciding hey this would make a great snuff film if you get in serious poo poo, yeah, but most of the suffering is frontloaded by their singularity?

I'm pretty sure they're referring to T Corp.

Which tracks, T Corp is very invested in being The Worst™ in every PM game :v:

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I would have thought that a Wing would make their Nest relatively more appealing to lure Feathers there. I wonder if the awful conditions in the Nest are related to T Corp's singularity the same way that the the whole deal with minimum damage before ampule dispenser turned out to be yet another way for K corp to milk suffering.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Junpei posted:

Apparently Ishamael and Don are former fixers so she's almost definitely seen some stuff.

Though my own personal guess is that she's actually the oldest of the Sinners and possibly even a former color.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
She's definitely older than she looks. Between the genuine offense she seems to take when mistaken for a child and her both calling Sinclair "young" and talking about her fondness for youth, I don't even think they've made it especially subtle.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Don getting upset at being called a kid actually makes her look more young and immature. shes just a dumbass who talks weird, and if she were a color she wouldnt be getting her poo poo kicked in the same as all the other sinners

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Don being secretly a powerful fixer would be kind at odds with the fact she's based on Quixote, a character whose main trait was being delusional, overestimating his abilities and being constantly beaten up.

She could be older than she appears though.

The only sinner ages we really know are that Gregor is 35 due to some background that was ripped, nd that Sinclair is probably around 20 since you need to be that age to be a fixer and he's the youngest of the bunch.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 22, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Junpei posted:

Considering the time she mentioned how her old allies would beat the poo poo out of her when she was out of control, my guess is that Don herself was on the verge of Distorting at some point, but never fully tipped over to the point of either going full Distortion or getting an actual EGO.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Theantero posted:

I'm pretty sure they're referring to T Corp.

Which tracks, T Corp is very invested in being The Worst™ in every PM game :v:

Yeah, I was referring to T Corp.

gently caress these backwards Pinkertons.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

YES bread posted:

Don getting upset at being called a kid actually makes her look more young and immature. shes just a dumbass who talks weird, and if she were a color she wouldnt be getting her poo poo kicked in the same as all the other sinners

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Don being secretly a powerful fixer would be kind at odds with the fact she's based on Quixote, a character whose main trait was being delusional, overestimating his abilities and being constantly beaten up.

She could be older than she appears though.

The only sinner ages we really know are that Gregor is 35 due to some background that was ripped, nd that Sinclair is probably around 20 since you need to be that age to be a fixer and he's the youngest of the bunch.

It's been said that the process of becoming a sinner has made all of them less than what they were, so it doesn't seem incongruent there.

As for clashing with the Don Quixote source material it doesn't seem that way to me. Don Quixote is a criticism of chivalry, not power. The main delusion of this Don is about fixer's being virtuous which lines up with the original's take on chivalry.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

SITB posted:

I would have thought that a Wing would make their Nest relatively more appealing to lure Feathers there. I wonder if the awful conditions in the Nest are related to T Corp's singularity the same way that the the whole deal with minimum damage before ampule dispenser turned out to be yet another way for K corp to milk suffering.

I was sure this was what the WARP Trains were for, though. And I don't know how making everyone miserable would correlate with time, either.

The only reasons I can think of is that T Corp. is either run by sadistic assholes who get kicks out of making everyone in their Nest miserable for the Evulz, OR that the misery of those in their Nest is part of a deal with ANOTHER Wing whose Singularity is fueled by misery and crushed hopes...
And I swear that if it turns out to be the latter and the Wing they're making a deal with turns out to be N Corp....well...I would say they're BOTH equally as hosed up and in need of being clipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
An interesting thing I noticed about the T Corp soldiers-they're really bad at gaining Charge. Their only one that gains them more than one at a time has a debuff attached to it. The really benefitted from Lob Corp's energy.