Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Crabs at the Titanic when they say billionaires are coming for dinner

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
they're deep enough that human beings don't even really know everything that lives down there. they coulda seen something no one has ever seen and taken it to their graves.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so, rescue aside. (Lol)
How long, REALISTICALLY, would it be fair to assume it will take to locate.... anything related to the sub. Be it intact, or just pieces?

Any time from soon to never.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pretty sure it’s in the Bible that crabs can go wherever the gently caress they want

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

they're deep enough that human beings don't even really know everything that lives down there. they coulda seen something no one has ever seen and taken it to their graves.

IÄ! IÄ!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Pretty sure it’s in the Bible that crabs can go wherever the gently caress they want

And on the eighth day god created crab and said, "go to the highest peaks of land or the lowest depths of sea, you are my chosen, and one day all will be like you."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fansy posted:

If it weren't for all the unnecessary safety regulation, they'd have been saved by now.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/titan-submersible-rescue-delay-explorers-club

Good news, underwater billionaires, Lord British is coming to recove your bodies!

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Grey Cat posted:

And on the eighth day god created crab and said, "go to the highest peaks of land or the lowest depths of sea, you are my chosen, and one day all will be like you."

Ah, the three bean crab evolution theory. I mean, it makes sense.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i mean, apparently the crab form is so perfect, it's evolved independently multiple times, such that it has a term. Carcinisation is when something evolves into a crab. they've covalently evolved scores of times, things keep becoming them. it makes them super hard to put together an evolutionary 'tree' because there's no one thing crabs have evolved from, poo poo keeps becoming crabs. biologists are trying to figure out what about the crab form is so perfect that it keeps just showing up in nature over and over.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
https://twitter.com/Michael_Yon/status/1671634769933729792

Always with the blue check scum.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The gently caress is he even trying to say.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Random Stranger posted:

Good news, underwater billionaires, Lord British is coming to recove your bodies!

Update: tragically, Lord British’s sub was destroyed by an explosive arrow

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Coast Guard saying they found a debris field:

https://twitter.com/USCGNortheast/status/1671907901542211584

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

How long, REALISTICALLY, would it be fair to assume it will take to locate.... anything related to the sub. Be it intact, or just pieces?

It took a bit over a year to find a 200+ foot long military sub that held 40+ people (ARA San Juan). It was made from steel and 3k feet under. Debris were strewn for 86,000 sq ft.

Titan is the size of a smart car, 12k feet under, and made of a carbon fiber which shatters.

My guess is never.

edit: lol guess I'm wrong

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

apparently its a floating Logitech controller

:(

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsG5tIBUk6Y

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I spent 10 seconds googling deepest crab and briefly skimmed that video and didn't see any crabs so I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The guy wasn't some wokey. He probably wanted the project to seem hip and cool and he wanted to be able to take the lead. Hiring inexperienced people would allow him to cut corners and bully the others into doing what he wants whereas a bunch of dudes in their 50's who are good engineers wouldn't allow it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Please be the sub just so I can spite everyone saying it'd never happen.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Welp

https://twitter.com/uscgnortheast/status/1671907901542211584

beaten, CNN had just mentioned it this second. I want an image of that gamepad on the ocean floor.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

AndyElusive posted:

The gently caress is he even trying to say.

Chudspeak is a bit like smurf language,
you just substitute random nouns, adjectives and verbs
with libs and woke. The faithful will understand.

chum, then

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

smoobles posted:

also the more I think about it, there's no way they were at the ocean floor. If they didn't implode, it would've been a power or comms failure, and they would have dropped the ballast (which can be done with or without power)

they either died instantly, or at the surface, I think.

should've installed a GPS beacon ya dinguses

The ballast is dropped by either rocking the sub (lmao) or pressing a mechanical button. The ballast is supposed to deteriorated after 24 hours and raise the ship, but it obviously hasn't, so they probably died once the ship stopped sending telecommunication, or shortly before.

My guess is that 7" thick 80lb acrylic window finally popped an hour to hour and a half in (it's supposed to have a visual crackle effect when it is about to fail, for whatever good that does), which sounds like it happened about maybe 1800m down based on people saying it was halfway down when they lost contact, when the window was rated for 1300m. Mfg often reduce the rating to cover their asses so that's probably when the viewport popped.

Fun thing, at that depth, the pressure is equivalent to 250 atmospheres. Historically, on an oil rig when this happened, the pressure inside was 9 atmospheres, and they were on the surface. They didn't seal the diving bell correctly on the Byford Dolphin and the guy nearest the door became literally gristle as he got forcefully ejected, his organs spewing everywhere. The three other crewmen boiled from the inside and one person got smashed by the ejected diving bell, and another got seriously hurt by the bell. This was in 1983.

My guess, is the glass popped and they either drowned and it fell vertically into the mud somewhere rather quickly, making the object even smaller to find on sonar, or, the pressure caused the bodies to eject out of the viewport like a unkinked hose, spewing gore and causing the ship to travel a distance away from the titanic in the opposite direction of the viewport, making it harder to find because it's a larger surface area to search. I think the ship probably would be intact in either situation.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Too bad those billionaires on the sub couldn't just pull it up by their bootstraps

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Chudspeak is a bit like wokelanguage,
you just substitute random rainbows, libs and the agenda
with evil and fascist. The faithful will understand.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

who needs non-destructive testing because I’m Robert stock-*WHOMPF*

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

So? The Titanic is surrounded by debris!

This is like that old joke about a small airplane crashing into a cemetery, and while the death toll is yet unknown, they have found at least 500 bodies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shoulda brought a broom onto the sub To show how hard working they all were

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
https://twitter.com/Michael_Yon/status/1671647516448763908?s=20

They probably just died to vaccine complications down there not sure why no one has considered this yet

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

He looks like both Mitchell brothers somehow.

"OI GET OUT MY SUB"

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

William Bear posted:

So? The Titanic is surrounded by debris!

This is like that old joke about a small airplane crashing into a cemetery, and while the death toll is yet unknown, they have found at least 500 bodies.

lol it still makes me laugh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Bananana posted:

Until we have some idea what happened no assumption is possible, but if I was betting I'd put money that they'll never be found. Basically the only scenarios I see that result in them being found are:

1. Their untested ballast fail-safes worked correctly and they are floating on the surface right now.

2. The maximum stupid irony death where they made it to the Titanic wreck and got stuck on something. The next dive to the titanic discovers them wedged into the grand staircase or whatever.

Anything else -- failed catastrophically or sunk intact -- means the remains are somewhere in the Titanic debris field and probably will never be found (or even seriously searched for). Looking for a small sub in a field of wreck junk would be hard.

edit: lmao possibly wrong before I finished writing the post

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Victory Lap posted:

https://twitter.com/Michael_Yon/status/1671647516448763908?s=20

They probably just died to vaccine complications down there not sure why no one has considered this yet

A giant syringe filled with the vaccine pierced the carbon hull

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

The Bananana posted:

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Any time from soon to never.

The answer was soon.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Conference Countdown Timer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm pretty sure Roger Moore threw this guy off a roof in The Spy Who Loved Me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Bananana posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/missing-submarine-titan-oceangate-expeditions-latest-debris-field/

quote:

The U.S. Coast Guard said Thursday a remote operated vehicle (ROV) discovered a "debris field" near the Titanic wreckage site where a submersible went missing.

It is not clear if the debris field is connected to the missing submersible, but the Coast Guard said "experts within the unified command are evaluating the information."

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

A chum field was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its the drat chum truck!