Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I hope zucc and musk high kick each other right in the noggin in perfect unison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm convinced that recruiters are the most useless human beings on the planet and shouldn't exist

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

triple sulk posted:

i'm convinced that recruiters are the most useless human beings on the planet and shouldn't exist

"my job is to find people who can fill our job openings" wow crazy we used to use signs that said HELP WANTED

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Justin Tyme posted:

Wonder if/when they start letting families stay in the barracks. Toddlers stumbling into the room next door as joes are playing beer pong

There are a bunch of books on the early Victorian British Army and why they stopped doing exactly this.

Other people can better explain it, but C-SPAM has made me a believer in the failsons of failsons theory where the ruling class forgets what things are for and why and how they work.

Turning soldiers into responsible, married, men with families and a (upper working?) middle class lifestyle, who lived in new clean barracks or family quarters was the project of states since ~1830. It was a major undertaking and transformed the character of soldiers, the national reputation of armies, and the relationship between soldiers, civilians and the states.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jun 22, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

triple sulk posted:

Yeah holy god they loving suck. Just yesterday a recruiter cancelled a meeeting with me, 5 minutes before it was supposed to happen, because she didn't have anything that would be a good fit, but "we should circle back in July." She was the one that contacted me! On Tuesday. At least that's better than the typical ghosting.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

triple sulk posted:

it's good work, if you can get it

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin

triple sulk posted:

There are no more recruiters, just call centers full of people who don't read your resume before they call you, text you, send you an email, then call you again in the span of 90 seconds.

Edit:
The same thing happens with a different recruiter for the same job several more times that day.

Sometimes it's the same recruiter.

Glistening Jones has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Jun 22, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

the same Austrian army that recruited Slavonian peasants for the Napoleonic wars by having a pretty Roma girl put a shacko on them during a village dance and then dragging them off in shackles knew they had to build accommodations for soldiers’ families but McKinsey and Company doesn’t?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Brimruk posted:

literally rest in piss lmao

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Justin Tyme posted:

Zuck is going to have a really hard reaching Musks head with a kick, but on the other hand Musk will collapse with a cardiac event after minutes of exertion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

What's the highest you think Musk could kick?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

What's the highest you think Musk could kick?

As high as his engineers can lift his palanquin

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

mycomancy posted:

loving billionaires always win, even in death.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/TheMaverickWS/status/1671871914305019904

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

the same Austrian army that recruited Slavonian peasants for the Napoleonic wars by having a pretty Roma girl put a shacko on them during a village dance and then dragging them off in shackles knew they had to build accommodations for soldiers’ families but McKinsey and Company doesn’t?

this is one hotel people were staying at instead of rentals at the BAH rate per month instead of leasing and probably caught the base by surprise. it’s not like it’s impossible to lease at the BAH rate in an okay place.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I realize neoliberal capital only really cares about the police, but immiserating the army seems like playing with fire

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

triple sulk posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"my job is to find people who can fill our job openings" wow crazy we used to use signs that said HELP WANTED

Working through recruiters for even mildly technically challenging work sucks because i cannot have a basic conversation about the work itself. I need to ELI5 to the recruiter how I fit he requirements for the job so that I can hopefully get to a real interview to actually talk about the work. then i find out from the actual hiring manager that the recruiter has no idea what the job entails and i am definitely the wrong candidate.

this comes after retyping my resume for their application process.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Nothus posted:

I realize neoliberal capital only really cares about the police, but immiserating the army seems like playing with fire

if they don’t react to the actual literal raging fires what makes you think they’ll be any more responsive to figurative fires?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

here's the trailer for the upcoming gamestop/wall street bets movie

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1671901376757088256

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I guess ai hype is finally dying down :laffo:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I guess ai hype is finally dying down :laffo:

Hell, wouldn't be surprised if the round mockery that that Secret Invasion thing provoked played a role.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Had my birthday couple of days ago and I got much more emails and texts from corporations and brands wishing me a happy birthday (and shop with us!) than I did from friends and families lol

Loving this atomized late stage capitalism

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

StratGoatCom posted:

Hell, wouldn't be surprised if the round mockery that that Secret Invasion thing provoked played a role.

Consumers absolutely loving hating AI generated products helps a whole lot.

Maybe in another 30 years this technology will be able to come close to producing real human output but it's still so far off in so many subtle and hard to address ways and the ethical concerns are bipartisan and insurmountable

Just isn't that many people who want to put all the artists and writers out of work

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Just walk into the office, grab a broom, and start your own scrums

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

I was just at a conference for the book “The end of military heroism?” which is about how “there is no such thing as society” may still enable men to kill for a paycheque, but not die for their country. Western soldier is so fragile that it will likely collapse in a peer conflict. See: all of the western volunteers in Ukraine noping out at their first artillery barrage. A problem identified in the mid 80’s, by the way.

The problem is the only way neoliberal states know how to identify and solve problems is literally to hire McKinsey and Company so they get ideas like “those ideas were obsolete anyway who cares?” and think soldier motivation can be beep booped away or “reinventing heroics” where soldiers will want to die for a country that offers them nothing because The Market will take the same place in their hearts as God, King, Country.

Frosted Flake posted:

Turning soldiers into responsible, married, men with families and a (upper working?) middle class lifestyle, who lived in new clean barracks or family quarters was the project of states since ~1830. It was a major undertaking and transformed the character of soldiers, the national reputation of armies, and the relationship between soldiers, civilians and the states.

I cannot remember who said it around here, but you're right on the ticket here.

The neoliberal experiment demands that those who enforce said regime to fight as if the social contract of old still exists - whether already dismantled or in the process of destruction.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Just walk into the office, grab a broom, and start your own scrums

millions of people go into work each day and report to something called a "scrum master" and these are supposedly serious jobs that matter. they have played us for absolute fools.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

millions of people go into work each day and report to something called a "scrum master" and these are supposedly serious jobs that matter. they have played us for absolute fools.

I'm taking a project management certification course rn. 50% of it is making process maps that are already automated and the other 50% is bullshit

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is one hotel people were staying at instead of rentals at the BAH rate per month instead of leasing and probably caught the base by surprise. it’s not like it’s impossible to lease at the BAH rate in an okay place.

I wouldn't be surprised if BAH in the PNW is below the going rate for the area given inflation. Isn't BAH capped?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm taking a project management certification course rn. 50% of it is making process maps that are already automated and the other 50% is bullshit

what’s the blocker?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Thoguh posted:

lmao he took a bunch of private lessons and then did okay in one single novice level BJJ competition and now he says stuff like this.

Honestly it’s almost humanizing, thinking you are a badass after you win a couple white belt BJJ matches is pretty normal but most people lose that pretty quick after some losses.

every time I read BJJ my brains translates it to blowjobjob

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

every time I read BJJ my brains translates it to blowjobjob

Brazilian Jutt Jift for me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

Imagine Musk committing to any kind of training regimen. I literally cannot grasp onto the image in my minds eye. It's like trying to conceive of a 4 sided triangle.

We already know that because he’s clearly on TRT and probably taking the same stuff that Hollywood A listers take to get ripped for action roles but he isn’t bothering to put in the work to have that translate in to looking like anything other than a beached whale.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

they collect survey and other data (there are entire federal agencies doing this) and mash it all together. for labor productivity it's total hours worked against total "economic output" in dollars (which can be as simple as GDP, but there are a bunch of secret sauce adjustments and the like also)

Without having any idea how the numbers are built in detail are we sure that we aren't just seeing the Covid funding run out? Mainly the PPP loans I guess, but it certainly would make sense to me that increased income outside the hours worked framework would look like increased productivity iif it's used to buy stuff.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1671911960835764226?t=KXaKxEVGbRV0EF3yEyoZXw&s=19

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
are they sure they didn't just find the titanic again

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

NeonPunk posted:

Had my birthday couple of days ago and I got much more emails and texts from corporations and brands wishing me a happy birthday (and shop with us!) than I did from friends and families lol

Loving this atomized late stage capitalism

you get used to it after awhile

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Looks serious

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

do not scrum. do not scrum.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

do not scrum. do not scrum.
They have a cream for that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Knight posted:

Looks serious

Im so glad I don't have to know what any of this loving poo poo is