Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Kids both came home from preschool with fevers, no other symptoms so far but clearly feeling mildly achy and sick. Finally got them to sleep by 8:30 or 9 pm, seemed like they'd get the sleep they need since they didn't have coughs waking them up. Nope, up at 2:30 and 3 and then at 4:30 the older one decided she was just going to start singing in bed, so I took her down to the guest bed in the basement and set myself up on the couch down there. She finally went to sleep at 5:30, just in time for the younger one to come down and tell me he was awake for good. Who needs sleep anyway, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Trying to find a good daycare for a two year old that has slots open, isn't $1000 a week and is decent is very hard

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

poo poo, my son got a hold of the hose with the spray attachment, now I've gotta this poo poo back from him

Welp, going in!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks to whoever recommended storybots, it's really great

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I keep meaning to check that out

Today's circular discussion with the 6yo: does dark make things cold?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

EEG was normal, brain is normal, just a weird kid doing weird things to scare grandma.

Glad to put that to bed, maybe wish we could have done so without driving to Miami and spending hundreds of dollars.

He was a real champ during the test - let them glue and tape 26 leads to him and wrap his head. When we called it a mummy hat he got really excited.

“I’m a mummy?”
“I’m a ghost!”

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What board games and card games so your kids like playing? I have a 5 year old daughter that I wanted to get the Disney princess uno and pretty pretty princess, regardless of whatever the box recommended ages are, and I'm hoping I'm not jumping into something that'll be to hard or frustrating for her.

I guess I'm also wondering how you handled competition and losing. I'm not planning anything like purposefully crushing her as a lesson or anything, but man she hates competing and losing. And to date over only done coop games with her.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

PageMaster posted:

What board games and card games so your kids like playing? I have a 5 year old daughter that I wanted to get the Disney princess uno and pretty pretty princess, regardless of whatever the box recommended ages are, and I'm hoping I'm not jumping into something that'll be to hard or frustrating for her.

I guess I'm also wondering how you handled competition and losing. I'm not planning anything like purposefully crushing her as a lesson or anything, but man she hates competing and losing. And to date over only done coop games with her.

Candy land is a very easy first board game. Although my 5 year old cheats like loving crazy whenever they don't get a good card, or land on a "bad" spot. I must have the worst luck ever losing 30+ candy land games in a row.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My kid (4 years old) really likes this one about planting and harvesting fields: https://familypastimes.com/en-us/products/harvest-time. It's very simple, just roll a die and match a color, but it's been fun to see her brain developing to handle the rules: first ignoring the die to pick vegetables at random, then setting the die to the color she wanted, then rolling and eagerly accepting an unknown outcome.

All of this company's games are delightfully low-fi fully cooperative endeavors. We also have one about a cat chasing critters but it's a little much for her just yet.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 22, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My son is almost 4 and he really likes Ravensburger World of Disney Eye Found It Board Game.

It is Co-Op, everyone tries to reach the finish before Maleficent powers up which occurs incrementally as the spinner lands on the Maleficent numbers. so it may not help with the Win vs. Lose, except maybe it frames it more as “us against bad luck” versus “us against each other, I win, you lose”

As for how to address losing in general, beats me. We are trying to just teach him it’s about having fun because there are no real stakes in the games we play, but he still keys in on wanting to win most of the time.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think our daughter was replaced with a doppelganger. Last night, she pointed it out was bed time by looking at the clock and telling us it was time. We've told her what the time for bed looks like on the clock. She voluntarily goes up to her room to get ready for bed. After my wife reads her a book, we hear her talking and it turns out she's putting away her laundry, hanging it up and folding it. I asked my wife if she had put drugs in my water because I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My kid has apparently now invented her own "curse word"

Whenever she drops something or something goes wrong she says "Oh, nurse!"

No idea why she settled on that but it's hilarious

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Nurse" as a curse? Could be worse.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My kid is saying "suck!" because she heard me carpet-f-bomb in the car after another driver almost run us off the freeway.

If that's the worst outcome of that situation, I'll take it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just ordered a shitload of marbles from ebay, because I watched a Twilight Zone episode where the guy gets nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, and it made me nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, so we're gonna see if my 6 year old niece has even the slightest interest or if <long ramble about kids these days and phones>

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

PageMaster posted:

I just looked in our game closet, and here are the ones the kids (5 & 7) play the most: Dragon's Breath; Race to the Treasure; Zingo; Count Your Chickens; Hedbanz; King of Tokyo (they don't understand the strategy, but it's easy to learn the basics); Trouble (with modified rules because that game sucks); The Shivers (this is like a beginner D&D game that focuses on storytelling).

In terms of handling competition / sore losership, it's something they need to learn over time. Continued repetition that you don't always win; not letting them win on purpose; and showing grace when you lose yourself.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just ordered a shitload of marbles from ebay, because I watched a Twilight Zone episode where the guy gets nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, and it made me nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, so we're gonna see if my 6 year old niece has even the slightest interest or if <long ramble about kids these days and phones>

Thursday, August 25, 1955
[https://www.newspapers.com/article/democrat-and-chronicle-marbles/125033374/]

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hadlock posted:

That super sucks, sorry

Thanks. We were able to get a spot on lockdown ASAP after spending time exchanging emails and phone calls the other day so at the least the kids will stay in the same system.

One of her older teachers will be at the new spot, too, which is nice but it will be interesting to see how the adjustment goes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me a year ago: oh boy I can't wait until she can climb in and out on her own :dance:

Me, waiting while she spends 5 whole minutes inspecting discarded Cheerios on the floor of the car as she screams NO I DO IT I CAN DO IT MYSELF slowly removing herself from the car : I wish she'd just let me take her out :psyduck:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

hallo spacedog posted:

My kid has apparently now invented her own "curse word"

Whenever she drops something or something goes wrong she says "Oh, nurse!"

No idea why she settled on that but it's hilarious

Could she have heard someone using "nerts" as a fill-in for nuts or gently caress, because I've done that. Didn't Tina Fey do that in 30 Rock a lot?

Also, yesterday we went to our first indoor park (like those ones Blippi always goes to) and it was awesome. Then today after he suggested we go again I had to explain to him why we can't really do that every day like how we ride the bike and carriage to the park by our house, since one thing is free and the other costs over $20.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

davebo posted:

Could she have heard someone using "nerts" as a fill-in for nuts or gently caress, because I've done that. Didn't Tina Fey do that in 30 Rock a lot?

Also, yesterday we went to our first indoor park (like those ones Blippi always goes to) and it was awesome. Then today after he suggested we go again I had to explain to him why we can't really do that every day like how we ride the bike and carriage to the park by our house, since one thing is free and the other costs over $20.

All the kids in our playgroup have been walking around saying what sounds like oh poo poo for the past ever. Finally got to the bottom of it today and turns out they're just copying "sheets, oh, sheets" from the bluey housework episode

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

PageMaster posted:

Hoot Hoot Owl, My First Castle Panic, Outfoxed, and Dinosaur Escape are co-ops we've enjoyed a lot with our kids (5 & 8). My 5 year old likes Uno, so probably not horrible. Generally card games they have few problems with. They play a few purpose made Slap Jack and Old Maid things and will play Trash (which they learned from school friends) with standard cards.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

davebo posted:

I definitely thought for a bit she was saying "Oh Nuts" but as her pronunciation has gotten better the past few weeks it's more clear she's saying nurse. I would be kind of surprised cause we don't watch any adult TV while she's around right now.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Because of my carelessness, my 2.5 year old cherubic angel son says “godfuckingdammit,” all one word of course. I’m trying to discourage this by not reacting at all when he says it, but it’s not working so far :(

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Mine has started saying "oh, snippets" because of Gabby's Dollhouse.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I sometimes say “Jesus!” when something surprising happens. Now my kids say it and I’m trying to convince them I said “cheez-its” but they aren’t buying what I’m selling.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mostly redirected the 5yo from what the gently caress to what the what. There was some kids show that used what the what a week or so later, so that helped. It also made it boring and no longer copying Dad. Haven't heard it in a while.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kids are at the grandparents for a few days and I miss them even though they are also evil goblin-like creatures

I love em

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think Elmo says what the what

Kiddo's teacher taught him what the hedgehog and if I never hear that again it'll be too soon.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I've heard lil bee throwing a "duck cake!" out in frustrated moments. Thanks Bluey!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

bee posted:

I've heard lil bee throwing a "duck cake!" out in frustrated moments. Thanks Bluey!

Aw, biscuits!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Tonight, while in the rocking chair at bedtime, my 2yo speech delayed son clearly said “bed,” then pointed to his crib. I put him in there and covered him with his blanket, and he fell asleep on his own while I sat in the chair. 🥹😭 I wasn’t prepared!
4yo daughter made up for it by taking 1h15m to fall asleep. “I don’t want to die.” “Do grown ups cry?” “After we sleep can we eat rhubarb spread?”

hallo spacedog posted:

I definitely thought for a bit she was saying "Oh Nuts" but as her pronunciation has gotten better the past few weeks it's more clear she's saying nurse. I would be kind of surprised cause we don't watch any adult TV while she's around right now.

Nurses curse more than any other profession so maybe she’s on to something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Goddamn it

Two year old is a nightmare tonight

Why won't this fucker sleep, his sister's been out for hours now

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I thought parenthood would be about raising a baby into an adult. So far it has been a struggle convincing a tired feral human that they should go to sleep.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

To continue on the same topic, how do I convince my 4 month old that 5AM is not the time to wake up? He falls asleep around 8.30PM and has been dropping night time wakeups by his own volition so that now he wakes up for the first time at 5. And wants to stay awake. I'd really, really like him to go back to sleep for an hour at least. We have blackout curtains but they aren't perfect and sunrise is at 3.45AM, which I'm guessing doesn't help.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like 4months is too early to sleep through the night as they'll need food. Maybe worth waking him at some point to put him on the breast? Could try doing a dreamfeed even.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ya he's waking early because he's hungry as hell imo, do as other poster said and try a feed during the night

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
RE: Swearing chat:

I tend to curse creatively... so the first time I caught my oldest, she was saying, "gently caress a roni"

Managed to convince her that I had said "duck a roni," so... saved that one.

We've definitely taken a stance of "ignore it and hope it goes away" for swearing, and usually it works. Because honestly, the only reason I feel to stop it is social pressure. As long as she's not using it in a derogatory manner, I'm not terribly upset about it, but I know she won't get away with that in school/elsewhere so we just try not to react.

So hilarious follow up to this:

DaveSauce posted:

Last night while my daughter was changing in to her pajamas and we noticed that she had no underwear on.

There were no undies in the bathroom. They weren't stuck in her pants. They were just nowhere to be found.

When confronted, she said she didn't know... didn't know where they went, didn't know when she last had them, didn't know if she ever had them. We're not sure if she forgot to put them on in the morning, or if she took them off at some point during the day.

So the case of the missing undies remains unsolved.

Definitely double checked this morning to make sure she at least started the day with them...

Wellllll this morning, my wife went up to check on her while she was getting ready. She takes a famously long time. Anyhow, my wife gets up there and sees that she's got undies on, but her old pair is nowhere to be found. Not in the bathroom, not in the laundry room... just, nowhere.

Wife comes down and explains this to me, and I tell her that yeah, I'm 95% sure I saw her grab a fresh pair of undies while I shuffled her off to the bathroom. So with every day dawns a new mystery...

So soon after my daughter came down for breakfast, my wife checked on her to double check that she had fresh undies on.

She had 2 pairs of underwear on. Guess that explains why we couldn't find the other pair... and since she's been on a bit of a lying streak lately, we have no idea if she did this on purpose or on accident, but she claimed that she wanted 2 pairs on.

just... can't fuckin win. I guess maybe at least on average she has 1 pair of underwear on, so I suppose we can't complain about that!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Doll House Ghost posted:

To continue on the same topic, how do I convince my 4 month old that 5AM is not the time to wake up? He falls asleep around 8.30PM and has been dropping night time wakeups by his own volition so that now he wakes up for the first time at 5. And wants to stay awake. I'd really, really like him to go back to sleep for an hour at least. We have blackout curtains but they aren't perfect and sunrise is at 3.45AM, which I'm guessing doesn't help.

You don't. He's starving. Feed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son is completely out of diapers (even overnight!) but my daughter still has frequent accidents overnights.

At first we just kept her in underwear despite the accidents like we did for daytime potty training, and we’d just change the sheets as needed overnight for a few weeks. However she’s still having accidents overnight and we’re getting really exhausted waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning every day to change sheets. Do you think it’s ok to just put her in pull ups overnight and try underwear again in a few weeks? We don’t want her getting too comfortable in a pull up since she is potty trained during the day. However we just need some friggin sleep.

We’ve tried limiting liquids before bedtime and making sure she pees right before bed, but we find that between like 3 and 4 almost every morning she wets the bed.