Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I organized a team event and dinner this week for a team of ~18 people. We spent a very solid amount of money and had some very nice alcohol. I’m sure many of you would hate me - the event was go karting and the winner got a dumb hat they had to wear to the restaurant (also a gift certificate). And today I’m taking the day to do a charity golf event with work. It’s been a good week.

Even assuming the $ and other benefits are there, I don’t think the consulting model or similar high pressure environments work unless you celebrate as hard as you are expected to work. Not all the time, always with the ability to cut out, not having fun be solely dependant on alcohol, etc… but it makes such a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jordan7hm posted:

I organized a team event and dinner this week for a team of ~18 people. We spent a very solid amount of money and had some very nice alcohol. I’m sure many of you would hate me - the event was go karting and the winner got a dumb hat they had to wear to the restaurant (also a gift certificate). And today I’m taking the day to do a charity golf event with work. It’s been a good week.

Even assuming the $ and other benefits are there, I don’t think the consulting model or similar high pressure environments work unless you celebrate as hard as you are expected to work. Not all the time, always with the ability to cut out, not having fun be solely dependant on alcohol, etc… but it makes such a difference.

This is a good way to put it, agreed. If I lead a team or manage an event that size, I’ll at least try to make the folks feel comfortable even if they are not an extroverted-go-kart-company-event kind of person, because I understand not everybody loves that, but you’re gonna have a tough time if you can’t let loose a little bit.

Sounds like you did good for your team.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Listening to a podcast with Martha Stewart being interviewed and am fascinated by her psychotic views on work:

- remote work is bad, need f2f for collaboration (and subtext where she doesn't believe home workers are actually working)
- however you need to be working 24/7 and an example is cited where she couldn't reach an employee on a Sunday (they were in the bath) and stated "I cannot work with anyone like that" (and presumably fired them)
-claims to work 18 hour days

Just pure psycho poo poo

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Convicted criminal Martha Stewart wouldn't be getting a corporate job in the real world.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's not like there's hundreds of hours of video evidence of Martha Stewart working in her own kitchen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Her answer re child care was literally have kids look after their siblings

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

knox_harrington posted:

I have seven more interviews scheduled for this position. loving eight total! As hiring managers we are told not to go over 4. Total bullshit.

Holy poo poo. Are they all remote at least?

When you said you had 8 I assumed you meant you had 8 candidates for a few you were filling. 8 interviews is nuts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CarForumPoster posted:

Holy poo poo. Are they all remote at least?

When you said you had 8 I assumed you meant you had 8 candidates for a few you were filling. 8 interviews is nuts.

I think knox is applying to an internal job so I bet a lot of them are in person

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

priznat posted:

Her answer re child care was literally have kids look after their siblings

:lol: ironic since she only has one kid, wonder how Alexis is doing & if she still keeps in touch with Boomer Dearest

At least Martha being parentified growing up makes sense for a lot of her wack-rear end brain problems

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

priznat posted:

Listening to a podcast with Martha Stewart being interviewed and am fascinated by her psychotic views on work:

- remote work is bad, need f2f for collaboration (and subtext where she doesn't believe home workers are actually working)
- however you need to be working 24/7 and an example is cited where she couldn't reach an employee on a Sunday (they were in the bath) and stated "I cannot work with anyone like that" (and presumably fired them)
-claims to work 18 hour days

Just pure psycho poo poo

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Well I hate this. I’m going to try to get my old job back.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I got phoned up (well, they tried but I disabled VoIP because I was fed up with people calling me so actually they tried and failed and we switched to video) by a senior team head in the US to say how much she liked working with me and how sad she was I was going, but it sounded like a great thing to go to and to get in touch when I'm in NY.

That was nice :)

Meanwhile, rumours of ~10% cuts over here and I got asked if we could "split or delay" a spend of 50k which is a pathetic amount for a corp of this size.

3 days until I leave, incredible timing!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Isn't this usually because whoever speaking has lots of money invested in commercial real estate

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Isn't this usually because whoever speaking has lots of money invested in commercial real estate

Probably part of it but a lot is just not trusting the serfs to be productive if they're not being glowered at by someone in a corner office

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Harder to micromanage, which I'd exactly what she is projecting.

Remote work has positives and negatives for sure but if your a certain type of over bearing person it's going to make you crazy

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lockback posted:

Harder to micromanage, which I'd exactly what she is projecting.

Remote work has positives and negatives for sure but if your a certain type of over bearing person it's going to make you crazy

Martha Stewart an overbearing micromanager? I know this is the internet but you can't just say *anything* you like.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"It takes a village" says a middle manager running a team meeting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Call me out more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

And every village needs its idiot

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Was chatting with an acquaintance who is high up at a major finance corp

:agesilaus:(him)
:stare:(me)

:agesilaus: none of my team want to work in the office anymore

:stare: well, the world has changed since the pandemic, people value their own time but work from home means you get a wider talent pool to draw o

:agesilaus: and they are all going to end up with bad backs sitting on dining chairs

:stare: surely your company can buy them proper home working set ups

:agesilaus: of course we can, but we won't, we want them back in the office

:stare: but they will just leave for a different employer then

:agesilaus: good, we can off shore their jobs to India anyway, the quality is just as good and it's a tenth of the price

:stare: ....

:agesilaus: and immigrants are having too many kids

(Scene)

Condensed slightly, but almost word for word, just absolute corporate brain discovered in the wild like I never have before.

FFS I hope your team do just sit at home jacking it and playing computer games like you clearly think they do, what a loving terrible manager

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's exactly what executives everywhere are thinking and doing, though. A person in Indonesia can work remotely for $3/hr so why would I pay a person in the U.S. to work remotely for $30/hr?

It took me a long time to absorb what's going on here. The executive sociopath world revolves around status games with each other. That is literally all they live for and think about moment to moment. Money and the ostentatious display thereof is of course the biggest determiner of status. Empire building is the second biggest. It's massively important to the C-suite sociopath that he have the biggest office possible, on the highest floor possible, of the tallest building possible, in the most glamorous city possible. That's what's really going on here: he needs people's asses in seats in the office, by the thousands, to justify the astronomical expense of his throne room.

And if he can't get that, if he can't get status-game currency in the form of his empire and throne room, then yes--he'll seek it via money instead, by offshoring and automating everything possible.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 23, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The central tenet of the Bullshit Jobs thesis.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

FFS I hope your team do just sit at home jacking it and playing computer games

why would you not be doing this?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CancerCakes posted:

:agesilaus: good, we can off shore their jobs to India anyway, the quality is just as good and it's a tenth of the price

"Huh, weird that you haven't just done that yet. Anyway, thanks for telling me to start looking for a new job."

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
How childish do you have to be to think people are still sitting in dining chairs after three loving years? I bought one after 4 days of working at home in 2019.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

My chair at home is better than my chair at work because I bought a Herman miller triflex years ago (tip: if you can get it from a place that lets you customise you can remove some stuff and save a bunch of money)

The seat has holes in it to let the farts out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My chair at home is better than my chair at work because I bought a Herman miller triflex years ago (tip: if you can get it from a place that lets you customise you can remove some stuff and save a bunch of money)

The seat has holes in it to let the farts out.

Same but an aeron

Work has these cheap shits that keep breaking and were purchased more for their color scheme than anything else. My rear end hurts so much by the end of the day. it's a good thing we're still hybrid because we no longer have enough chairs for everyone since a solid 1/3 are broken.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

How childish do you have to be to think people are still sitting in dining chairs after three loving years? I bought one after 4 days of working at home in 2019.

I had a nice chair for a few years but once my wife came back from mat leave she took it and I just grabbed a wooden dining chair. Which I am still using. I will eventually get around to buying a nicer chair but tbh it’s never bothered me. Keeps me upright and encourages me to stand up and move around every so often.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My office has extremely nice chairs that they bought in bulk a few months before COVID hit. Now they're mostly in storage or sold off so people don't steal them to sell/take home.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Magnetic North posted:

There are some people that just refuse to invest in themselves and have lovely WFH setups.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I have actually spent the day working from a dining chair despite having a proper setup and nice chair because there's underfloor heating downstairs and oh my god is it nice.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I routinely remind management that my WFH setup (office with a door, window, sit/stand desk, excellent chair) is leagues better than what they are providing in the office.

Doesn't matter. The RTO Requirers are likely somebody I have never met and never will meet. The best I can do is keep acquiring scraps of knowledge about what The Metrics consider a "full day" in the office and adhering to that as thinly as possible and spending the rest of the time WFH.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
At home I have a desk next to the window, a keyboard I built to specs I like, and next to my real desk is a treadmill with a standing desk. gently caress going back to the office!!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Zarin posted:

The best I can do is keep acquiring scraps of knowledge about what The Metrics consider a "full day" in the office and adhering to that as thinly as possible and spending the rest of the time WFH.

I'm a full-time remote employee because I live in a different state, but I travel to the home office quarterly for no particular reason other than my boss asks me to, and I like an all expenses business trip to rack up miles with. When I'm in the home office, it's funny to see all the people doing just what you said - rolling in at 10 and bouncing at 2 three days a week because that's what leadership counts as being in the office for their metrics.

They recently started free breakfast Wednesdays to try to get people in earlier, but I don't think it's doing much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was travelling to HQ for a bit for lab work and the office was incredibly dead. It is by far the nicest office I've ever worked in with all sorts of snack and beverage options and yet people just value their time not having to commute more, weirdly!

Personally I like going in to offices to do work but I 100% get it why others don't want to and even though I would usually go in having the flexibility to not have to every day is huge even for me.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm a full-time remote employee because I live in a different state, but I travel to the home office quarterly for no particular reason other than my boss asks me to, and I like an all expenses business trip to rack up miles with. When I'm in the home office, it's funny to see all the people doing just what you said - rolling in at 10 and bouncing at 2 three days a week because that's what leadership counts as being in the office for their metrics.

They recently started free breakfast Wednesdays to try to get people in earlier, but I don't think it's doing much.

I read that first and free Wendy’s breakfast and no wonder their plan isn’t working.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Zarin posted:

I routinely remind management that my WFH setup (office with a door, window, sit/stand desk, excellent chair) is leagues better than what they are providing in the office.

Doesn't matter. The RTO Requirers are likely somebody I have never met and never will meet. The best I can do is keep acquiring scraps of knowledge about what The Metrics consider a "full day" in the office and adhering to that as thinly as possible and spending the rest of the time WFH.

Looking at flipper zeros wondering if they're the key to my team and I having one person scan us all in to make the metrics happy. We could even expense it as a property management cost.

I don't know that they're smart enough to cross reference it with network data. Maybe ...

Hmmm..

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My hunch is our RTO push will really kick in when the office renovations are done. Higher ups don’t like seeing their shiny new toys going unappreciated.

Thus far the only benefit of going in for meetings has been the hot goss or venting conversations you don’t want to have on official company channels.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I still don’t understand the logic that pushed so many companies to renovate their offices after the initial lockdowns.

Meanwhile my government office hasn’t seen a paintbrush since the 90’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

My hunch is our RTO push will really kick in when the office renovations are done. Higher ups don’t like seeing their shiny new toys going unappreciated.

Thus far the only benefit of going in for meetings has been the hot goss or venting conversations you don’t want to have on official company channels.

Yeah my new place has a brand new office so I think they want to get good use of it. 3 days a week is fine with me though

Old place was so desperate for cash they'd keep subletting floors to the extent that some days it was impossible to actually get a desk if you were coming in because there weren't enough left