Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i wish hillary was in this primary shes such a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fall of civilizations went on youtube and the production values are surprisingly good, it actually makes me want to watch instead of keeping it a podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbdVhVSat8

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i say swears online posted:

fall of civilizations went on youtube and the production values are surprisingly good, it actually makes me want to watch instead of keeping it a podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbdVhVSat8

While I'm sure this is true, the idea of watching a four-hour FoC is stretching the concept of time itself. It's one thing when it's audio and I can just do my job and listen to a well-told four hour narrative, but I can't imagine a lifestyle that frees up a sixth of a day to really get into detail about the Assyrians. Still, I really love the podcast.

Somewhat appropriate to the covid talk, yesterday I binged an 8 episode podcast about the AIDS epidemic from Audible (Fiasco, dunno what season, each is about a single topic). While I lived through and remember most of what was talked about, the idea behind it was to see what parallels could be drawn between AIDS and covid in terms of response. It didn't do a great job of focusing on that, relying far more on just a retelling of events but one thing that was obvious was that the public's response to pandemics are always more or less the same with a significant portion of the population refusing to believe, another portion chalking it up to divine retribution, and institutions generally failing to live up to their duties. Hearing the details of that era really put the covid discourse into context to the extent that really from the Black Death onward this is just how these things go. Anyway I'd strongly recommend the season if for some reason you aren't aware of exactly how everything went down then, it's well made, well sourced, and a quick and compelling listen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think my favorite thing i ever saw on pbs as a kid was a four-hour history of islam. this brings me back. also two monitors helps

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Guys lands for me on the chill side of chill/boring and honestly a big appeal of Bryan's stuff is how every guest always seems to enjoy themselves which makes it more fun to listen to, even if after doing shows for years he still fucks up constantly god bless him

anybody got a kingsdex alternative? unfairly the easiest way to freely acquire content seems to be temporarily hosed

Whoolighams has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Jun 22, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Whoolighams posted:

Guys lands for me on the chill side of chill/boring and honestly a big appeal of Bryan's stuff is how every guest always seems to enjoy themselves which makes it more fun to listen to, even if after doing shows for years he still fucks up constantly god bless him

anybody got a kingsdex alternative? unfairly the easiest way to feely acquire content seems to be temporarily hosed

Bryan rules.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

just collections of similar episodes, like 90s VHS tapes of all the simpsons christmas episodes. dunno why they're monetizing it, especially for ten bucks per collection

what. this sounds insanely stupid

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol they didnt even finish the poppy series @_@

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Was Well Theres You're Problem really all news?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The thing about covid is they they were right. I mean, a lot of the most “extreme” covid positions are right, and covid is a crisis of capitalism that showed clearly how captured our states are, how the media will push narratives, how business can override health policies, how basic safety NPIs would be discarded, how a vaccine only policy doesn’t work etc.

At the heart of all of this is capitalism. Two weeks probably could have stopped the spread, if the state had any will or capacity, and if capitalism could be suborned to human life or even the national interest.

The problem is that after 50 years of anti communism and 30 of liberal triumphalism, nobody was able to present that in a way people could absorb.

they weren't right, many countries that were very-much capitalist (taiwan, new zealand, australia) did a good job controlling covid early on until the vaccine was viable, and made the correct risk assessment that covid as it stands now no longer represents the health risk it did in 2020 thanks in large part to the vaccine's incredible development

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
:wrong:

most of australia did well in the beginning due to our isolation but then got sick of it and did it half-arsed NPIs or got hosed over by other cities that did it half-arsed and then just gave up when it was too hard. emergency medical services were stretched to the breaking point and tonnes of people died.

at very few points was any politician able to do anything against business interests (like luxury brand shops being regarded as essential services during lockdowns)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crepeface posted:

:wrong:

most of australia did well in the beginning due to our isolation but then got sick of it and did it half-arsed NPIs or got hosed over by other cities that did it half-arsed and then just gave up when it was too hard. emergency medical services were stretched to the breaking point and tonnes of people died.

at very few points was any politician able to do anything against business interests (like luxury brand shops being regarded as essential services during lockdowns)

those people wouldn't have died if the terminally online left stopped posting antivax tweets, as mentioned by shipon earlier

Shipon posted:

didn't help that most of the terminally online left told people that the vaccines really didn't work and we had to keep staying inside

bedpan has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Jun 22, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the lady that they interviewed in the first bonus hell on earth ep and whose podcast matt guested on here:

crepeface posted:

matt talks about the 30 years war pod with other history nerds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBfGfiiC0E

did another podcast about robin hood

quote:

We had on medieval history experts 'We’re Not So Different', to discuss Robin Hood (2010). A movie whose politics were so bad it killed the 2000s sword-and-sandal genre. This movie asks, what if Robin didn’t steal from the Rich but instead attempted to pass meaningful neoliberal reform?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziICjJPfhyo

app links here: https://linktr.ee/remembershuffle

haven't listened yet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

bedpan posted:

those people wouldn't have died if the terminally online left stopped posting antivax tweets, as mentioned by shipon earlier

the terminally online left has no power to affect anything and also: lol, did that actually happen?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

crepeface posted:

the terminally online left has no power to affect anything and also: lol, did that actually happen?

it most certainly did not happen

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

vaccination rates had more to do with income level than fuckin tweets

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

crepeface posted:

the terminally online left had been banking posting energy from millions of tweets and then spent it all in one single moment

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

bedpan posted:

the terminally online left had been banking posting energy from millions of tweets and then spent it all in one single moment

i thought that's how they got donald trump elected

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020
The weird thing about that Joan of Arc tweet felix mentioned isn't the content (you can find any insane thought on social media), but that that dude was asking the internet. Don't catholics have priests to ask questions like that?

EDIT: Not even just priests, could be a religious family member, or another member of your churches membership. Like isn't part of religion the irl community aspect?

AloePieceOfShit has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Jun 22, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Whoolighams posted:

anybody got a kingsdex alternative? unfairly the easiest way to freely acquire content seems to be temporarily hosed

thank god it isn't just me.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

the lady that they interviewed in the first bonus hell on earth ep and whose podcast matt guested on here:

did another podcast about robin hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziICjJPfhyo

app links here: https://linktr.ee/remembershuffle

haven't listened yet

I forget where I posted about her, specifically, but she’s almost a caricature of an annoying American liberal academic living in self-imposed exile (because of George Bush) and that gets in the way of her being a fairly good medievalist

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AloePieceOfShit posted:

The weird thing about that Joan of Arc tweet felix mentioned isn't the content (you can find any insane thought on social media), but that that dude was asking the internet. Don't catholics have priests to ask questions like that?

EDIT: Not even just priests, could be a religious family member, or another member of your churches membership. Like isn't part of religion the irl community aspect?

If you're an insane catholicism poster, the internet is your religious community

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you can be allowed to have wonky political views as a treat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
why would they trust a catholic priest, WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE A CHILD MOLESTER, instead of @DeusVult1488?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AloePieceOfShit posted:

Its the internet so they probably are just making it up

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

I forget where I posted about her, specifically, but she’s almost a caricature of an annoying American liberal academic living in self-imposed exile (because of George Bush) and that gets in the way of her being a fairly good medievalist

what do you mean?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

On the latest Maintenance Phase the woman referred to 30 pounds as "a small amount of weight" to lose

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

On the latest Maintenance Phase the woman referred to 30 pounds as "a small amount of weight" to lose

It's an interesting podcast when they're dunking on junk science and bad diet books, but every few episodes they say something that really makes you double-take

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
well i mean if you weighed like 600 pounds it's pretty small

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

what do you mean?

She’s just very extra and when she’s, lol doing public history, if that’s what podcasts are, seems focused on relating thing a bit too much through the lens of American culture war.

Probably just a style thing, but the long aside about the Magna Carta, for me, is shadowboxing with a belief Republicans pretend to hold rather than something the podcast audience or even most people, are actually invested in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
does anyone still listen to Trillbillies or has everyone given up after bernie lost and tanya left?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

does anyone still listen to Trillbillies or has everyone given up after bernie lost and tanya left?

i still listen every once in a while when i have nothing else. it’s okay

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

i listen to every episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

well i mean if you weighed like 600 pounds it's pretty small

That was the gist of their argument. Lot of diet books written by people who went from like 150 to 120 when most obese people need to lose like 80 lbs and go from 250 to 170. Or not do that because one of the weird things Aubrey says is that the doctor does not need to weigh a person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

That was the gist of their argument. Lot of diet books written by people who went from like 150 to 120 when most obese people need to lose like 80 lbs and go from 250 to 170. Or not do that because one of the weird things Aubrey says is that the doctor does not need to weigh a person.

Even if you do weigh 250 pounds, 30 pounds is still like 1/8th of your overall mass. It's not a small amount of weight. You will be aware of the loss and it will have an effect on your life, going from 250 to 220. You have to be fat fat before 30 pounds isn't a significant amount of weight to lose.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

is "healthy at any size" still a thing? i haven't paid much attention to that discourse for a while

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Xaris posted:

i keep up with it. they got pretty angry again after the floods last year. aaron still says deadass a lot

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

is "healthy at any size" still a thing? i haven't paid much attention to that discourse for a while

More than ever, especially now that a lot of the HAAS advocates are employed by the 3 companies that make all the food

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I don't know. I don't want to mischaracterize her as one of those people because I'm not sure she is, but she drops stuff that seems HAAS adjacent occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Space Camp fuckup posted:

More than ever, especially now that a lot of the HAAS advocates are employed by the 3 companies that make all the food

well that's something