Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Billionaire: Titanic is in our sights. Stop driving at it!
CEO: I can't, Sir. I'm Woke!
Crab (watching from Titanic): He's woke! He wont do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Is there a good reason they didn’t put this thing on a tether?

Yeah. Basically the currents would cause the 4km of cable to swing the little sub at the end around like a carnival ride and kill everyone on board long before they reached the titanic.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Alan Smithee posted:

FST

Flyover standard time

That's central.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ars Arcanum posted:

I wonder what happened; I guess “totally imploded near the bottom,” and “got stuck on Titanic itself and suffocated,” and “made it to surface but suffocated because no one found them” are mostly out.

The most likely outcome of it just imploding on the way down seems to have come to pass. It explains everything except whatever that banging noise those acoustic bouys picked up was.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Further Reading posted:

Yeah. Basically the currents would cause the 4km of cable to swing the little sub at the end around like a carnival ride and kill everyone on board long before they reached the titanic.

That's basically the same outcome but more recoverable.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ThinkTank posted:

The most likely outcome of it just imploding on the way down seems to have come to pass. It explains everything except whatever that banging noise those acoustic bouys picked up was.

ghosts

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ars Arcanum posted:

But what if the debris field is from the ROV that they said got destroyed looking for it?

That's the real tragedy of this whole saga.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Maybe they got out, and are now on the Titanic trying to jury rig it working again.
Bound to be a 100 year old air pocket there.
Going to see the Titanic surface soon.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I just came

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Heres an image from the 2012 expedition and you can see what looks like a crab, possibly a squat lobster

Theres shoes in the image if that possibly confronting to anyone.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

im praying that if the implosion news is true there was at least a few seconds where the CEO, and preferrably the whole crew, knew that they were about to die. hopefully that acoustic system came thru

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

:yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw: :yeeclaw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

People kept saying an implosion would be picked up by acoustic buoys. Did they overestimate the noise level or sensitivity of the equipment?

Nobody's made a carbon fiber sub before, so maybe carbon fiber subs make a different sound when they implode.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Maybe they got out, and are now on the Titanic trying to jury rig it working again.
Bound to be a 100 year old air pocket there.
Going to see the Titanic surface soon.

ok clive cussler it's not the 70s anymore

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Is there a good reason they didn’t put this thing on a tether?

Given the depths the submersible was intended to go to, you would need 4 km of tether. Carting that around would already be a massive pain and having that much cable thrashing around in ocean currents probably causes other potential problems.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Harbor Freight

So a Pittsburgh? Can’t say we saw many of those

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

One of the few failsafes was a device on the exterior of the sub that makes a banging noise every 30 minutes.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

:cheers:

At this point best case for the crew is they were killed instantly. I wonder if we will ever get an idea of what happened.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm gonna go with it was like ending of The Mist and they figured out a way to somehow implode it instead of being stuck minutes before the Coast Guard found them

Either way it involved mist I suppose

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Wee posted:

Heres an image from the 2012 expedition and you can see what looks like a crab, possibly a squat lobster

Theres shoes in the image if that possibly confronting to anyone.

they should've just made the sub out of crab shells.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why didn't they just drain the ocean.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
does anyone have a recording of the CEO speaking?

I'll be a little disappointed if he doesn't have the voice and mannerisms of Cave Johnson.

"We're not banging rocks together here"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
have they considered a remote submersible that would not obliterate them?

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Could the sheer amount of methane from the farting and making GBS threads form a protective bubble and bring them gently back to the surface?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

Given the depths the submersible was intended to go to, you would need 4 km of tether. Carting that around would already be a massive pain and having that much cable thrashing around in ocean currents probably causes other potential problems.

If it snapped and ricocheted back could it cut a large boat in half?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ThinkTank posted:

Crabs trying to attract more billionaires.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Conference is 2.5hrs from this post if that helps anyone.

Did you post in GMT?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

One of the ships they're sending over, the Horizon Arctic, has a FADOSS system which can lift 270 ton objects as far as 8km

You're right, but it's possible.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 22, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

they could make a big glass tube that's like 4 miles long and get a few cranes on boats, drop it in the ocean right next to the titanic, seal it up at the bottom with strong adhesives etc. and have a little ocean elevator. but we dont know how to engineer anymore

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
If I eat crab sometime in the near future that had itself fed on billionaire submersiblesauce, through the transitive property does that mean I am literally eating the rich?

Just want to do my part. :crabcourse:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

they experienced mooshing

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

angerbeet posted:

There’s still hope, the debris field they found could just be the Titanic.

lmao

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Acoustic buoys wouldn't pick it up if it imploded before they placed them, unless there's one there for research purposes, I guess.

Some expert or something was saying that it was equally as likely that the tapping or knocking was from rescue vehicles as it was from the submersible itself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That DICK! posted:

im praying that if the implosion news is true there was at least a few seconds where the CEO, and preferrably the whole crew, knew that they were about to die. hopefully that acoustic system came thru

If it was an implosion, then they got Byford Dolphin'd, which means that sub went from a sub full of billionaires with aspirations to this

In about as much time as it takes you to blink.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Eric Cantonese posted:

What if they made some kind of tether that didn’t do that that’s really light made out of carbon fiber or something

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Droogie posted:

Acoustic buoys wouldn't pick it up if it imploded before they placed them, unless there's one there for research purposes, I guess.

Some expert or something was saying that it was equally as likely that the tapping or knocking was from rescue vehicles as it was from the submersible itself.

Probably not helped by the fact that there was a shitload of boats there at the time (and probably still is, I've not checked)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7247199236368960811

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cthulu Carl posted:

If it was an implosion, then they got Byford Dolphin'd, which means that sub went from a sub full of billionaires with aspirations to this

In about as much time as it takes you to blink.
There's plenty of things that could go crinkle crack in a several second lead up to the imminent combustion for someone to say ruh roh.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That DICK! posted:

If it imploded they died before they even knew it was happening

People are wildly underestimating how loving gnarly water under pressure is and how little it cares about displacing something as fragile as oxygen and human flesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
how do the ultra deep diving remote control subs communicate with the surface?