Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was going to transform it into ship mode and never bothered. Now that I have zero room maybe I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wish there was a color between black and dark bley. Like 'light black,' or something. For big black builds you don't get as much depth to the build.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't know who else needs to hear this but Wicked Brick is having a 15% off storewide sale from Thursday to Friday

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I want to get display cases for all of the Disney minifigs for my wife…. Wonder if they have a 100th anniversary series one yet

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

deoju posted:

I wish there was a color between black and dark bley. Like 'light black,' or something. For big black builds you don't get as much depth to the build.

Similarly, very light grey could stand to make a comeback.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I ordered the Ninjago City Markets last weekend, and look what now arrived!

Whoops

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well that didn't take them long

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tenebrais posted:

So I ordered the Ninjago City Markets last weekend, and look what now arrived!

Whoops

Just contact customer service. They will send the right item and odds are high you'll get to keep the wrong one, too. Profit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Just contact customer service. They will send the right item and odds are high you'll get to keep the wrong one, too. Profit.

Law (in the US at least) states they can't require you to return misdelivered items. They won't even bring it up or threaten to blacklist because it's not worth the bad press.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
easiest 500 dollars of your life

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I wish LEGO would screw up some of my purchases. :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the newest form of gambling: ordering expensive lego sets in hopes for getting sent the wrong one so you can get more free lego

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Similarly, very light grey could stand to make a comeback.
I have been told by a reliable source that the LEGO Star Wars team tries every year to get a new shade of gray made and they're told "no" every time because the end user experience, especially when it comes to instructions, is terrible. Very light gray was deliberately killed for this reason.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Speaking of instructions, why are custom MOC instructions better than the one's that lego put out? just the parts highlighted/outlined in red in MOC instructions make things so much easier.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Lego's greys had always been bley, and they introduced the old grey now, would we call it grellow?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

I have been told by a reliable source that the LEGO Star Wars team tries every year to get a new shade of gray made and they're told "no" every time because the end user experience, especially when it comes to instructions, is terrible. Very light gray was deliberately killed for this reason.

They need to delete some shades of blue too then.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Phy posted:

If Lego's greys had always been bley, and they introduced the old grey now, would we call it grellow?

I'm fine with "piss grey"

xzzy posted:

They need to delete some shades of blue too then.
You're not WRONG necessarily, but

I like them. :(

but yeah Medium Blue and Light Royal Blue totally don't both need to exist lol

also bring back sand red

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

Innovative idea for Lego: actually make the manual colors match the piece colors when both are freshly opened

Everyone who built starry night knows what I'm talking about

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Sand green is rightfully enjoying some prominence currently, wouldn’t mind seeing more sand purple though. Sand blue is my personal favourite of the sand family, which should be expanded.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had an idea that would up the piece count of big sets but would be handy.

Bag 1, step 1, is one of each color used in the set, in different small parts to make it obvious which is which. And then if there was confusion later, you could compare. Why did I think this?

Because Ninjago City Markets is a mess. I kept thinking of this bit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOxEwCuEgQ

Why? Because there are lots of smart and clever building techniques spread throughout the build. On the other hand, there is also a lot of annoyances, more so than most sets, and they detract from the experience. There are other sets that have cool techniques but aren't annoying at all. I've mentioned before how often things are connected by one stud. Ultimately, most things are secure, but not all. And many of those could have been secure with a bit more thought.

My last experience with the set was playing with the toilet. The first time it worked, the second time the...turd...got stuck somewhere. And the set doesn't come with a plunger. But the real problem is it is incredibly difficult to get the turds in the toilet. It's a cool mechanism but is inaccessible. There are other parts of the set with removable walls, which would have been perfect here. But nope. Your best bet is to remove the ceiling and drop the stud and hope it doesn't bounce out.

Others have mentioned that it seems like a lot of empty space. That didn't bother me. But for 6000 pieces, I think it may have less rooms/shops than other NC sets. Unless I miscounted, the number is 11.

Anyway, it may seem like I hated the set. This is not the case. I just feel it needed more time in the oven. IMO, it is almost a great set but misses the mark in a number of areas. I quite enjoyed my time building it when I wasn't getting annoyed or wondering why certain decisions were made.

And don't get me started on the manual. Yeesh. Bad colors in that thing. Sometimes the colors were so far off from the pieces. At least in those cases there was only one piece that it could be. Oh wait, there was a section with bad colors in the manual and similar color pieces. But there were other same color pieces that were unique to the step that made it doable.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Others have mentioned that it seems like a lot of empty space. That didn't bother me. But for 6000 pieces, I think it may have less rooms/shops than other NC sets. Unless I miscounted, the number is 11.
70620 Ninjago City, with 4,867 pieces, had 9 shops and internal spaces, plus the construction site that wasn't really accessible and the rooftop sushi bar.
Lower level:
1. Fish market
2. Robot charging room
3. Tea room
4. Lower apartment
Mid level:
5. Seafood restaurant
6. Comics store
7. Department store
Top level:
8. Lloyd's apartment
9. Bathroom

70657 Ninjago City Docks, with 3,553 pieces, had 7 shops and internal spaces, plus a cave to park the boat and an inaccessible rotisserie vendor.
Lower level:
1. Mason's shop
2. Fruit stall
Mid level:
3. Map room
4. Apartment
5. Dojo
Upper level:
6. Tea shop
7. Arcade

71741 Ninjago City Gardens, with 5,685 pieces, had 11 shops and internal spaces, plus an outdoor pagoda on the 16x32 expansion (that did not have an interior).
Lower level:
1. Pawn shop
2. Restaurant
3. Tea room
4. Ninjago fan apartment
Mid level:
5. Ice cream parlor
6. Noodle shop
7. Museum
8. Artist's apartment
Upper level:
9. Rooftop pagoda
10. Ninja hangout
11. Ninja control room

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to see if your experience lines up with mine when you build the set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I built my BD-2 last week, I used the lego app on my ipad. It was a lot better than the paper manual. I only had one issue that wasn't due to my own negligence. *cough* having to disassemble the body because I put the technic liftarm for the neck in upside down *cough* *cough* I got to this step and you can see that there is a white 1x1 plate that needs to be placed. But where is it? Then I remembered it's a 3D model and rotated it and the plate was entirely obscured by the default view of the step.

Overall I really liked using the app though. It made the building experience a lot better than accidentally skipping steps or missing pieces when doing the paper manual.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is color reproduction better? I'd think an online manual should be pretty close to exact for the color matching, assuming your screen is calibrated properly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The colors seemed fine to me. Though I don't think this set has any colors that are confusing, they are all pretty different. And it's on an ipad, so I would hope it's color accurate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
colors are better if your screen brightness is turned up

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neat. I like the semi-3D art sets

Veotax
May 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Law (in the US at least) states they can't require you to return misdelivered items. They won't even bring it up or threaten to blacklist because it's not worth the bad press.

When this happens, we generally ask nicely if you could return the set, but don't push it, since it's our mistake (and against the law to demand it back in some countries, like you say).

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

RatHat posted:

Do this with the ring girl coming out of the TV

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

RatHat posted:

Needs more definition on his cheeks

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Lego done my boy wrong here, they've given him a gat dang Hank Hill rear end. The only tiles are his cheeks :gonk:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
wait for the moc where they give him a gigantic dumper

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Carbohydrates posted:

its always impressive how difficult a time they have of making the instructions accurate to the real life colors

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah a pair 6x6 quarter round plates in the right spot would really sell that rear end better.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Yeah a pair 6x6 quarter round plates in the right spot would really sell that rear end better.

6x6 plates? Buddy, I need to see 45 degree slopes on that dumptruck before I'm shelling out for that set.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

the holy poopacy posted:

6x6 plates? Buddy, I need to see 45 degree slopes on that dumptruck before I'm shelling out for that set.

My don’t want none unless ‘s got hun.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

There's gotta be 2 layers of plates at least, but anything more than 4 is over doing it. That rear end has got to be defined, but not the focus of the piece.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Careful spidey, you'll put an eye out with that thing

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Waltzing Along posted:

I had an idea that would up the piece count of big sets but would be handy.

Bag 1, step 1, is one of each color used in the set, in different small parts to make it obvious which is which. And then if there was confusion later, you could compare. Why did I think this?

Because Ninjago City Markets is a mess. I kept thinking of this bit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOxEwCuEgQ

Why? Because there are lots of smart and clever building techniques spread throughout the build. On the other hand, there is also a lot of annoyances, more so than most sets, and they detract from the experience. There are other sets that have cool techniques but aren't annoying at all. I've mentioned before how often things are connected by one stud. Ultimately, most things are secure, but not all. And many of those could have been secure with a bit more thought.

My last experience with the set was playing with the toilet. The first time it worked, the second time the...turd...got stuck somewhere. And the set doesn't come with a plunger. But the real problem is it is incredibly difficult to get the turds in the toilet. It's a cool mechanism but is inaccessible. There are other parts of the set with removable walls, which would have been perfect here. But nope. Your best bet is to remove the ceiling and drop the stud and hope it doesn't bounce out.

Anyway, it may seem like I hated the set. This is not the case. I just feel it needed more time in the oven. IMO, it is almost a great set but misses the mark in a number of areas. I quite enjoyed my time building it when I wasn't getting annoyed or wondering why certain decisions were made.

And don't get me started on the manual. Yeesh. Bad colors in that thing. Sometimes the colors were so far off from the pieces. At least in those cases there was only one piece that it could be. Oh wait, there was a section with bad colors in the manual and similar color pieces. But there were other same color pieces that were unique to the step that made it doable.

Late, but Harvey is probably my favorite movie ever. Great taste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ki8MEI9WE

All that gold...

Definitely looks better than the original. But it's not all that different.