Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

happyhippy posted:

Why didn't they just drain the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sBFkfcB8WA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Plankton eating the billionaires is the best outcome

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They open the hatch and its empty

They open the hatch and its just a dog at the controls

They open the hatch and its full of old timey survivors from the titanic

They open the hatch and (add your own)

Finding a debris field ruins my pick but I was hoping for the sub staying intact and they open the hatch to discover they all died of co2 poisoning but no one can explain why theyre in Edwardian dress or how they have relics from the Titanic on board completely untouched by time or the sea.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Lots of shocking twists in this thread but finding out Fountains of Wayne had more than that one song is a biggie.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Grey Cat posted:

Deep Sea Challenger was 10million (very different kind of submersible though), Gabes was 37million. Wasn't oceangate trying to make a FLEET for 18million? :lol:

Why not just have 1 non emulsifying sub?

Edit: I just think the Gabe sub is cool now.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Wasn't this morning supposed to be the absolute longest possible survival time, assuming absolute minimum oxygen consumption?

News sites keep posting "Less than 24 hours of O2 left".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheMightyBoops posted:

I looked up the Gabe Newell and James Cameron subs and they looked a lot safer, maybe they should have made something like that. The Gabe one did like 26 deep sea dives in a year to the Mariana Trench.

Gabe Newell was extremely disappointed, he bought the sub thinking he was diving to the Marinara Trench.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Imagine the last thing one of them did was piss in a water bottle

Christ

You're lying on the floor trying to not mentally collapse, its humid and stinks like poo poo, the CEO has been screaming non stop, and then a warm liquid begins soaking into one side of your shirt.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I know these people were billionaires and all but I still have enough humanity in me to hope they died before they suffered through hearing the phrase crisscross apple sauce

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Plankton eating the billionaires is the best outcome

Nature is healing

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

Deep Sea Challenger was 10million (very different kind of submersible though), Gabes was 37million. Wasn't oceangate trying to make a FLEET for 18million? :lol:

hell, 16 if camping plus has a sale

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JerikTelorian posted:

Wasn't this morning supposed to be the absolute longest possible survival time, assuming absolute minimum oxygen consumption?

Technically 0 is less than 24...

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Lots of shocking twists in this thread but finding out Fountains of Wayne had more than that one song is a biggie.

I'll take bands I forgot existed for $500

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

mikemil828 posted:

Gabe's sub also cost $37 million to make, something tells me this sub cost considerably less...

it cost $25,000 to be exact

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't understand this guy's point exactly, but I am intrigued that there is pings of giant sharks or something the government is hiding from us:tinfoil:

Yeah I dont understand this or the other video? How are the sharks pinged? What are they implying is causing the ping at the titanic? Are they saying these specific sharks are going to check it out for some reason? What does this have to do with megaladons??

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who knows, it's dumb poo poo from TikTok

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hagfish only live as deep as 600m

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

JerikTelorian posted:

News sites and bots are displacing time by regurgitating the same article.

It's pretty mulch over.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can we turn the OP into a gallery for everything posted? There's so much gold in here, very old school GBS energy.

Bless you goons.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Extra Large Marge posted:

Who knows, it's dumb poo poo from TikTok

He's just saying what all of you simpletons wish you could understand. It's really quite simple once you breakdown the science that I won't bother sharing with normies.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All this talk about deep sea submersibles has me jazzed to make my own.

Maybe I'll stop by Lowe's on my way home...

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

jadebullet posted:

Haha, holy poo poo. Just when I thought things had gotten as ridiculous as they were going to get, someone used AI to write fanfiction about the final moments on the sub.

https://twitter.com/dennly109/status/1671681684893229058?t=BjsbbWkAMhXq0ec8iou3lg&s=19

I really miss back before Elon started forcing bluechecks on people. Back when it was a opt-in system when you saw :eightbux: at the top of a tweet you knew that you were about to see one of the dumbest takes to ever exist on Earth. Now you gotta actually read the text to know if the posters a moron.

And in this case the answer is yes. This guy's a moron.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheKing0f_Pop/status/1671842017683308544

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wee posted:

Heres an image from the 2012 expedition and you can see what looks like a crab, possibly a squat lobster

Theres shoes in the image if that possibly confronting to anyone.

Those are my shoes.

Give them back.

You are a crab.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FilthyImp posted:

Im not a student of the natural sciences, aside from galvanics. But iirc folks in the thread said that the pressure from water rushing in would do crazy poo poo like compress and superheat the air while turning it to plasma. The dudes would get carbonized, crushed, then misted?

I just want the inevitable low-budget horror film about this to have a guy making GBS threads by the viewport to be looking at a small crack form when suddenly a pin-hole sized spout cuts through his eye then spreads and cuts him with a blade of firewater.

Maybe he can say "oh poo poo" or quip "is it supposed to do that" before Titan2c assplodes.
Refer to one of the funniest books about marine salvage ops for what just 40 feet of extra depth do to a body. It's called "the squeeze."
https://archive.org/details/MarineSalvageTheUnforgivingBusinessJoeGores/page/n48/mode/1up

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Rad-daddio posted:

All this talk about deep sea submersibles has me jazzed to make my own.

Maybe I'll stop by Lowe's on my way home...

I would bet money you could build a BETTER submersible, using items in a Single Lowes Store, for less than what was spent here, if you just put an Unlimited amount aside to pay well trained and educated engineers on the case.

Edit: ah, well... wasn't thinking of the tech you'd need.... maybe would need to pick a Lowes that was next to a best buy, and alot for picking from the best buy too.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Rorobb posted:

Yeah I dont understand this or the other video? How are the sharks pinged? What are they implying is causing the ping at the titanic? Are they saying these specific sharks are going to check it out for some reason? What does this have to do with megaladons??

The shark app tracks sharks that have been caught and tagged and rereleased. Pings are periodically sent when the tags are at surface levels where they can receive a satellite signal. I'm not sure if tiktokers think that sharks just randomly send out pings naturally or what.

My theory: Sharks periodically go down really deep to mate apparently. Therefore, the sub was mistaken for a sexy lady shark and got sharkfucked so hard that it imploded, in my expert opinion

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Googling carbon fiber submarine and getting zero results in 2017 and saying humna humna humna until youve fired 3 knowledgeable engineers and the harbor freight torque wrench clicks the final time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The shark app tracks sharks that have been caught and tagged and rereleased. Pings are periodically sent when the tags are at surface levels where they can receive a satellite signal. I'm not sure if tiktokers think that sharks just randomly send out pings naturally or what.

My theory: Sharks periodically go down really deep to mate apparently. Therefore, the sub was mistaken for a sexy lady shark and got sharkfucked so hard that it imploded, in my expert opinion

They do send out pings, actually. When they get close to the surface. These things have battery powered gps

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Bananana posted:

I would bet money you could build a BETTER submersible, using items in a Single Lowes Store, for less than what was spent here, if you just put an Unlimited amount aside to pay well trained and educated engineers on the case.

Edit: ah, well... wasn't thinking of the tech you'd need.... maybe would need to pick a Lowes that was next to a best buy, and alot for picking from the best buy too.

my sub will use a bluetooth soundbar and a sim racing wheel. Way safer

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Rad-daddio posted:

my sub will use a bluetooth soundbar and a sim racing wheel. Way safer

how much for me to get a ticket?

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

So, looking like the goo crew was right all along?

edit: poo poo, already posted a few pages ago. This thread moves too fast for my small monkey brain

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TheMightyBoops posted:

I looked up the Gabe Newell and James Cameron subs and they looked a lot safer, maybe they should have made something like that. The Gabe one did like 26 deep sea dives in a year to the Mariana Trench.

The company that made those is also marketing a submersible that they call the Titanic Explorer because it can supposedly do that. No apparent public price, unless you count a rando unsourced Daily Mail headline. But presumably it costs less than the one owned by Gabe Newell that's rated for ten thousand feet below the deepest point that exists in the ocean.

Just look at the thing and consider that the billionaires chose the deathtube.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Or take an awkward duce just feet away from other people and separated by only a curtain to the sound of Celine Dion.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

how much for me to get a ticket?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Better be the song for their funerals.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

The thing is that Cameron wanted to do it because he actually wanted to explore; he genuinely wanted to contribute to science and human endeavor. As a result the sub he made was meant to be good and successful. The motivation was to do it right because it is a thing worth doing.

OceanGate wants to make money which means they want their vehicle to be as cheap as possible to keep costs down. The motivation is to do it fast and do it cheap. If he didn't think he would make a profit, he wouldn't have tried at all.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Glad it was a quick death

Snagged on the wreckage for a while would have been such a good movie though

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Soooo, is OceanGate out of business then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Tarkus posted:

Soooo, is OceanGate out of business then?

My co-ceo will go on