Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Grey Cat posted:

how much for me to get a ticket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Lots of shocking twists in this thread but finding out Fountains of Wayne had more than that one song is a biggie.

Adam Schlesinger was an american treasure

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Soooo, is OceanGate out of business then?

The BBC interviewed the co-founder of Oceangate and his opinion was "minor set back let's keep going."

quote:

Söhnlein, who left OceanGate 10 years ago, said he would not have acted differently in the circumstances.

He said: “If anything, I think we need to go back and learn from what’s happening, find out what’s happened, take those lessons and carry them forward.”

Personally I would have chosen not to implode by paying customers, but I guess that's why I'm not an innovator.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Spinz posted:

Glad it was a quick death

Snagged on the wreckage for a while would have been such a good movie though

Yeah from an aspect of human suffering suffocating to death in pitch black with a group of strangers huffing eachother's poo poo fumes for 2 days seems relatively undesirable compared to being instantly gibbed

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eviltastic posted:

The company that made those is also marketing a submersible that they call the Titanic Explorer because it can supposedly do that. No apparent public price, unless you count a rando unsourced Daily Mail headline. But presumably it costs less than the one owned by Gabe Newell that's rated for ten thousand feet below the deepest point that exists in the ocean.

Just look at the thing and consider that the billionaires chose the deathtube.

This tracks. The wealthiest people I know are also the cheapest.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This could be a great game show idea for Netflix. Have a bunch of teams assemble a sub using only from items purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. The teams that make it all the way down to the Titanic win 2 million dollars and a t shirt

They could even have a competition within the teams to determine who has to be in the sub for the dive.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Calling it, the sub was fine until it barely bumped the seabed, this force was enough to push over the edge and completely shatter the hull.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

DickParasite posted:

This tracks. The wealthiest people I know are also the cheapest.

Many a millionaire became so, by relatively speaking, not spending money or paying people.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Calling it, the sub was fine until it barely bumped the seabed, this force was enough to push over the edge and completely shatter the hull.

Orca rammed it and caused it to implode

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

Edit: I just think the Gabe sub is cool now.

It is cool as heck. Just this big beefy rectangle cause who the gently caress cares about hydrodynamics when you're derping around with thrusters a billion feet underwater?

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
How long was the death-tube supposed to take to reach the ocean floor? Iirc the entire expedition was ten hours but I can't recall reading how long the descent took.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Government Handjob posted:

How long was the death-tube supposed to take to reach the ocean floor? Iirc the entire expedition was ten hours but I can't recall reading how long the descent took.

Like 4 hours

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

*extremely Lisa and Bart Simpson voice*

are they dead yet

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Finding a debris field ruins my pick but I was hoping for the sub staying intact and they open the hatch to discover they all died of co2 poisoning but no one can explain why theyre in Edwardian dress or how they have relics from the Titanic on board completely untouched by time or the sea.

Hatch opens and shock! It was The iceberg all along

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Hatch opens and shock! It was The iceberg all along

Off the top rope!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

https://i.imgur.com/T2d3EaJ.mp4

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
BBC reporting that the rear part of the sub was found along with something else

E: landing frame and rear cover

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Skippy McPants posted:

It is cool as heck. Just this big beefy rectangle cause who the gently caress cares about hydrodynamics when you're derping around with thrusters a billion feet underwater?

It's a crab?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grey Cat posted:

Even better it probably bumped the Titanic.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

playstation controller: 1
copy of atlas shrugged: 1
oxygen: none

can someone good at submarines please help me my crew is dying

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So it was the not rated for depth window, or the tiny bolts and gaskets holding the "door" on.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its wild thinking about being a billionaire and how on the surface you had enough money to buy small countries and build gundams and have sex with 2 chicks at the same time, but for 90 hours until you die you just gotta sit in the fart vapors thinking about how all that money holds no value at the bank of davy jones. this didnt happen, they instantly imploded into nickelodean gak, but its fun to think about

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I heard that the Gabensub is steam-powered

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

That DICK! posted:

its wild thinking about being a billionaire and how on the surface you had enough money to buy small countries and build gundams and have sex with 2 chicks at the same time, but for 90 hours until you die you just gotta sit in the fart vapors thinking about how all that money holds no value at the bank of davy jones. this didnt happen, they instantly imploded into nickelodean gak, but its fun to think about

It's so funny that they have the entire world and are still so miserable that they seek out objectively terrible experiences like stuffing themselves into steel coffins and getting dumped into the ocean.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The BBC interviewed the co-founder of Oceangate and his opinion was "minor set back let's keep going."

Personally I would have chosen not to implode by paying customers, but I guess that's why I'm not an innovator.

The next one will have a screen door

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/LiftedVoices/status/1671651963748925440?t=6Mfjro4MMYn1oPYMQxzSjA&s=19

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

playstation controller: 1
copy of atlas shrugged: 1
oxygen: none

can someone good at submarines please help me my crew is dying

if it was a playstation controller they would be home safe.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Seth Pecksniff posted:

E: landing frame and rear cover

FWIW BBC has updated this post to include that this is second hand information coming from "the President of the Explorers Club", i.e., Richard Garriott de Cayeux.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
They shut playstation home down, though

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

if it was a playstation controller they would be home safe.

that way the ceo wouldnt be able to play any games

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

FWIW BBC has updated this post to include that this is second hand information coming from "the President of the Explorers Club", i.e., Richard Garriott de Cayeux.

Uh, I think we can trust the creator of Ultima

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Celebrate crab times c'mon

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

deeply discounted

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Skippy McPants posted:

note that the square is not the actual pressure vessel where people sit, its just the shape of the frame / housing.
their wiki has a photo of the actual titanium vessel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Limiting_Factor#/media/File:View_on_Limiting_Factor%C2%B4s_titanium_sphere_and_the_robotic_arm.jpg

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

[crabs pile onto each other until they T2 style morph into Amelia Earhart] come with me if you want to live

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's been a fun day or two.

Lets try to convince the next billionaire to go volcano huffing or something.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

That DICK! posted:

[crabs pile onto each other until they T2 style morph into Amelia Earhart] come with me if you want to live

and off they went to Bermuda

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Klyith posted:

But again, who knows what a carbon fiber sub sounds like if it implodes.

The U.S. sailor adding the mp3 to the database: we do now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

eviltastic posted:

The company that made those is also marketing a submersible that they call the Titanic Explorer because it can supposedly do that. No apparent public price, unless you count a rando unsourced Daily Mail headline. But presumably it costs less than the one owned by Gabe Newell that's rated for ten thousand feet below the deepest point that exists in the ocean.

Just look at the thing and consider that the billionaires chose the deathtube.

are those gull wing doors? so more points of failure

also this looks like a gun. is that just a gun that ocean / sea gods play with at a certain depth/at the surface?