Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

theironjef posted:

Shame, "We have nothing new to announce and we're pushing everything we already announced back by a bunch because management won't pay the writers" would have been a huge event draw.

sounds like the writers’ strike is only part of the reason for the delays and that they’re also just generally reevaluating the writing/production of a lot of projects given some of the cooler reception to the MCU of late, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

But they're going to announce the Fantastic 4, right?

Probably at D23.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I expect Kraven to go full Morb with all the promotional stuff pushing the villain angle but the movie itself to have him be unambiguously right/the good guy.

I mean, the trailer seemed to show that his dad is an rear end in a top hat poacher and maybe part of the Russian Mafia, and he's going after poachers and his dad. I don't think we need to wait and see if he's going to be a hero.

I wish superhero movies didn't feel the need to fit a certain formula all the time. Imagine if there was a movie about a villain, and it was just unapologetically "Yeah, this guy's a piece of poo poo that does horrible things." Like, Marvel puts out a Bullseye movie, and instead of him being the sympathetic "anti-hero" that ends up fighting a worse version of himself, it's just 2 hours of Bullseye: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Barry Convex posted:

sounds like the writers’ strike is only part of the reason for the delays and that they’re also just generally reevaluating the writing/production of a lot of projects given some of the cooler reception to the MCU of late, tbh

Nah, they still pack halls if they want to, it's a little writer's strike and a LOT the threat of a potential SAG-AFTRA strike, because if that hits there's no way Charlie Cox will smile and wave and promise that this is an all-new Daredevil. Honestly that strike is gonna probably stop most of the big movie and TV folks from announcing for hall H.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I mean, the trailer seemed to show that his dad is an rear end in a top hat poacher and maybe part of the Russian Mafia, and he's going after poachers and his dad. I don't think we need to wait and see if he's going to be a hero.

I wish superhero movies didn't feel the need to fit a certain formula all the time. Imagine if there was a movie about a villain, and it was just unapologetically "Yeah, this guy's a piece of poo poo that does horrible things." Like, Marvel puts out a Bullseye movie, and instead of him being the sympathetic "anti-hero" that ends up fighting a worse version of himself, it's just 2 hours of Bullseye: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Lol a comic version of A Portrait of a Serial Killer

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jamesman posted:

Has something like this been done successfully before? The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Hannibal from 2001, and even then, that movie sucked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Has something like this been done successfully before? The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Hannibal from 2001, and even then, that movie sucked.

Nightcrawler has Jake Gyllenhaal as an absolutely terrible person who learns nothing from the events of the story and ends the film being more successful than he's ever been before.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I Care A Lot almost does but thankfully karma prevails and she gets her comeuppance in the final scene. I loving hated that film's protagonist more than a host of strictly viler characters with 10+ times the body count, that was some of the most banally evil poo poo going.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
the problem is that the average person wants to feel good and watch movies that make them feel good so you get movie adaptations of things that swerve bad guys into having a heart of gold and/or fighting a worse evil

i mean they took Wanted and made a mass murdering rapist sociopath a good guy fighting The System

Todd Phillips Joker basically fits, but from what i remember there's a lot of attempted sympathy built by blaming Arthur's descent on society failing him

but yeah you get outside of comic book movies and there's loads of movies about Bad People Doing Bad Things Without Repentence

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
What was the marvel series about c lister doing stuff? I think the Shocker was in it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
avengers

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Wave Jose posted:

What was the marvel series about c lister doing stuff? I think the Shocker was in it.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Super with Rainn Wilson?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

It also doesn't count because of Oldman, and Liotta to a lesser degree.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Variety is reporting that WB's slate of DC movies this year cost the studio between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion in official budget and marketing costs.

Because the studio only gets a portion of the ticket sales, Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 both have to gross over $1 billion for the studio to not take a huge bath on all of its DC properties this year.

They were expecting the Flash to be grossing around $120 million domestic on opening week and it instead grossed around $55 million.

Shazam 2 apparently lost the studio nearly $150 million.

quote:

‘The Flash’ Box Office ‘Disaster’ Exposes DC’s $1.1 Billion Problem for Warner Bros.

In the climax of “The Flash,” Barry Allen (Ezra Miller) watches helplessly as his timeline-hopping escapades cause several other superhero universes to careen into each other and become obliterated in the process. Ironically, Warner Bros. is facing almost an identical dilemma — and the stakes could be nearly as existential.

“The Flash” is the second of four mega-budgeted DC adaptations the studio is set to release this year, starting with “Shazam! Fury of the Gods” in March, and followed by “Blue Beetle” and “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” in August and December. Yet these movies were conceived and greenlit by an executive team that all have departed the studio; in their place, new DC Studios chiefs James Gunn and Peter Safran have announced they will reboot the DC franchise in 2025, starting with Gunn’s “Superman: Legacy.”

That’s left Warners in one of the worst rock-and-a-hard-place conundrums in memory: Its 2023 slate of DC films are now orphans in a moribund cinematic universe, but the studio still needs audiences to see them on a blockbuster scale.

“It’s a perhaps unavoidable but terrible case of timing,” says a source at a rival studio. “Audiences don’t feel like they have to invest two hours of their life because it’s not going to matter going forward.”

Indeed, things have not been going well. The production budgets and likely marketing spends for these four films will cost between $1.1 billion and $1.2 billion in total, according to experts outside the studio. But “Shazam! 2” has already bombed, earning a feeble $133 million globally. And “The Flash” just opened to a mere $55 million in the U.S. and Canada, grossing $135.7 million worldwide as of June 19 — well under expectations, and nowhere near what a film of this caliber and cost needs to approach breaking even.

“The movie should be opening at $120 million domestic,” says an industry veteran who’s worked on many major campaigns. “This is an unmitigated disaster.” (A spokesperson for Warner Bros. declined to comment.)

The “Flash” rollout also faced unprecedented difficulties caused by its star. Save for an appearance at a photos-only premiere event this month, Miller has been totally out of the public eye since August, when they apologized to “everyone that I have alarmed and upset with my past behavior” — including multiple allegations of misconduct, abuse and assault — citing “complex mental health issues” as the reason. Pulling a Christopher Plummer and replacing Miller was a financial nonstarter for Warners. The actor, who plays two versions of Barry, is in practically every scene of the film, and often the only person on-screen. (The studio did have fair warning; Miller was caught on video in April 2020 choking a woman in Iceland, months before “The Flash” went into production.)

To compensate for the absence of its problematic lead, Warners spent heavily on TV spots during the NBA Finals, and director Andy Muschietti did multiple interviews unreservedly praising Miller. In January, Gunn called the film “one of the best superhero movies I’ve ever seen”; Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav didn’t bother qualifying, hyping “The Flash” as “the best superhero movie” outright at CinemaCon in April.

“When they called it ‘the greatest superhero movie’ — if it’s not correct, you’re setting yourself up to fail,” says an executive at a different rival studio. “In this environment, it’s better to underpromise and overdeliver.”

Perhaps most ominous for Warners, however, is the possibility that audiences are becoming blasé about cinematic universes altogether. There have been at least 55 movies based on comic books in the past 10 years alone, most of them part of interconnected mega-franchises that depend on fans flocking to them no matter which superhero is in the title. Not only does “The Flash” reference events and characters in everything from “Justice League” to “Aquaman,” but it relies heavily on the climax of 2013’s “Man of Steel” for its own final act. Similarly, Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” drew from several past films and the “Loki” TV series; moviegoers shrugged.

“When you have a film set in a multiverse, it’s asking the audience to recall past films instead of shutting off their brain and enjoying what’s in front of them,” says Exhibitor Relations analyst Jeff Bock. He notes that “The Flash’s” domestic opening weekend is on par with debuts for other titles that have been part of the wider DC universe, like “Black Adam” ($67 million) and “Aquaman” ($68 million). Whereas “Joker” and “The Batman” — stand-alone films with zero connection to anything else — opened to $96 million and $134 million, respectively.

“Batman is so strong on its own, it doesn’t really need to be tied down with these other characters,” Bock says. But that is exactly what Gunn and Safran are planning; Muschietti is set to direct “Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” one of 10 interconnected film and TV DC titles planned through roughly 2027, including Gunn’s “Superman.”

Moving forward, Warners and DC must walk a painfully narrow path. Gunn said recently that the titular character of “Blue Beetle” is “the first DCU character,” which could save the film from feeling like a lame duck but also ties it to a cinematic universe that audiences have yet to embrace. Meanwhile, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” will conclude the old DC universe for good, but whether it can approach the $1.1 billion global take of 2018’s “Aquaman” without a cinematic future is unclear.

Ultimately, the most important factor remains quality. “There can be audience fatigue when it comes to the obligation of having to watch 20 movies to understand a new one,” says one exec. “But it doesn’t matter when the movie is good.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the-flash-box-office-dc-blue-beetle-aquaman-1235650170/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
it's been obvious since well before the writers' strike that this movie had little to no chance of actually happening, but if Sony wants to use that as an excuse to save face, then sure I guess

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1671598109095530496

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, there are plenty of stories out there, where you're just following around, at best, people that are neither good nor bad, or people that don't really have the moral high ground over their adversaries. It's a lot harder to find examples of that when you're looking at mainstream blockbuster movies, as opposed to something more niche. But that's why I think it would be interesting if someone would actually do it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

it's been obvious since well before the writers' strike that this movie had little to no chance of actually happening, but if Sony wants to use that as an excuse to save face, then sure I guess

Wait, were they just gonna have Mercedes Mone and Bad Bunny work a 20 minute wrestling match for the third act? Cuz that would've been pretty fun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clearly WBD put the wrong film in the vault and should have just shoved The Flash in there

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm wondering if Aquaman actually sees the light of day. You've got the Amber Heard thing, the fact that absolutely no one cares about it and the rest audiences all hated it , and then these high profile bombs with the other ones.
The first one made a billion so that might help, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they vault it. Blue Beetle looks ok, but it's not going to make a billion dollars

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The idea that theyd bury Aquaman over Amber Heard after steadfastly pushing forward with Miller and Flash would be… well I guess it would be entirely predictable of society, Hollywood, and fans. But it would be something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

The idea that theyd bury Aquaman over Amber Heard after steadfastly pushing forward with Miller and Flash would be… well I guess it would be entirely predictable of society, Hollywood, and fans. But it would be something.

Apparently she's barely in it, like pretty much just a cameo.

And the screenings have been super negative on the movie saying it's not good at all

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's been a year since that trial, do that many people still give a poo poo about it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Amber Heard thing might have been an issue if the movie had come out when it was supposed to but now it is so far gone that the only people who care at this point were never going to be happy with her.

Although this discussion does remind me of how WB put out that DC movie trailer in theaters talking about how all these movies were coming that year and then like a week later announced that everything was delayed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's been a year since that trial, do that many people still give a poo poo about it?

Johnny Depp fans and other MRA types do.

You probably would not be surprised at the overlap with DC film fans there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Some people care a lot about Heard. For reasons.

It would just be something if she was the line drawn or that fans wanted drawn after Miller. Or even like Levi or Leto or probably half a dozen other gross people I’m forgetting.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Everyone freaking out about Depp at Cannes suggests that "Heard is the villain" isn't a narrative that's stuck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Barry Convex posted:

Aphrodite posted:

Bad Bunny is the biggest star in the world, they’re not going to let that one slip away.
Aphrodite for God's sake, quick, express faith in the Fantastic Beasts franchise! Use your powers for good!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't cancel it, read the article!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't cancel it, read the article!

It was put in the same status as The Amazing Spider-Man 3.

I think we are more likely to see The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (0.00001% chance) than we are the Bad Bunny Spider-Man movie (0.0000000000000001% chance). But, maybe Bunny will beat the odds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TASM3 may have sucked but it's always going to be the most intriguing what if because we're never getting that story again. The opportunity to do a post-Gwen death movie is now gone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It was just gonna be Andrew Garfield moping a bunch.

Also No Way Home exists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No Way Home exists as what? The vengeful or brutal Spider-Man only happens for the end of the end fight. I feel like TASM3 would have been very different tone-wise to anything we've gotten so far. Then again they also undercut it at the end of 2 anyway so who knows what they were hoping to achieve with the next one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Exists as a depiction of post-Gwen death Andrew Garfield Spiderman.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lobok posted:

No Way Home exists as what? The vengeful or brutal Spider-Man only happens for the end of the end fight. I feel like TASM3 would have been very different tone-wise to anything we've gotten so far. Then again they also undercut it at the end of 2 anyway so who knows what they were hoping to achieve with the next one.

in no way home amazing spiderman explains where he was at after losing gwen

you get to see that character on the other side of all the mopey sad-mad stuff

i mean i guess if youre just desperate to see Spiderman But Angry This Time, sure, you may feel like youre missing out

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

in no way home amazing spiderman explains where he was at after losing gwen

you get to see that character on the other side of all the mopey sad-mad stuff

i mean i guess if youre just desperate to see Spiderman But Angry This Time, sure, you may feel like youre missing out

Also, Maguire's Spider-Man 3 exists.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Also, Maguire's Spider-Man 3 exists.

that was Spiderman But Dancey

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm angry that No Way Home didn't show the deal with ASM's parents. Oh wait..no I'm not.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

Aphrodite for God's sake, quick, express faith in the Fantastic Beasts franchise! Use your powers for good!

Honestly Fantastic Beasts seems just as dead.

wikipedia posted:

In November 2022, Variety reported that Warner Bros. Discovery had no Wizarding World films in active development and was not in "active discussions" with Rowling regarding the future of the franchise, leaving the future of the Fantastic Beasts series in limbo.

Movies that nobody wanted to see and nobody wanted to make, how cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1671967652548612096?s=20