Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's one version that people never talk about appearing in this movie series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzh7kMcuDYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm only slightly familiar with Spider-Man beyond some of the live action movies. And the rest is just picking up random unsourced information from randos on the internet.

With how much tug of war there is or was with Peter Parker growing up or not, is that a constant with the other ones like, Spider-Gwen and 2099, cosmic spider, ghost rider etc?

I really want the next movie to end with Peni, Noir, and Spider-Ham finding Miles' sketches of them with super critical commentary of his work 'why are robots so complicated?!' 'how do I draw in monochrome' 'he's like a cartoon but it all looks wrong when I try to draw him from another angle.' Either that or they crash the Spider verse into the uncleverse, the universe where they die and all the Uncle Ben figure becomes Spider-Man.

Also it feels like the solution to The Spot is anyone with an actual power or poison like Miles and Miguel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

With how much tug of war there is or was with Peter Parker growing up or not, is that a constant with the other ones like, Spider-Gwen and 2099, cosmic spider, ghost rider etc?

In the long run the other characters might have that issue but traditionally it has just been Peter Parker.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not as much an issue because the writers are more aware of the continual stasis comics exist in. Back in the day they weren't thinking Spiderman would still be around decades later so they felt comfortable letting him graduate High-school and go to college or get married then suddenly they realize their relatable young hero is no longer young or supposedly relatable. So they go through a period of trying to roll back the clock and get old Pete back, ultimate universe one more day etc.

Writers are writing with that awareness now, and the other Spidermen tend to be less consistent in having stories written about them and with less history so they don't run into a lot of those problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If there is one merciful blessing about the MCU it is that by necessity they have to shuffle actors out in favor of new folks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's great they can cannabalize the careers of young stars as well as the directors.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
But where is the Spider-man that makes you gay?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's Miguel

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

In the long run the other characters might have that issue but traditionally it has just been Peter Parker.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not as much an issue because the writers are more aware of the continual stasis comics exist in. Back in the day they weren't thinking Spiderman would still be around decades later so they felt comfortable letting him graduate High-school and go to college or get married then suddenly they realize their relatable young hero is no longer young or supposedly relatable. So they go through a period of trying to roll back the clock and get old Pete back, ultimate universe one more day etc.

Writers are writing with that awareness now, and the other Spidermen tend to be less consistent in having stories written about them and with less history so they don't run into a lot of those problems.

As I was asking I was like 'Oh gently caress, are any of these characters even still around?' For some reason I know about the clone Spider-Man, Silk, Spiderwoman, scarlet spider I think?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Silk usually gets a 5 issue mini-series every few years. In terms of screen development, last I heard she was supposed to get show on Amazon?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mycot posted:

But where is the Spider-man that makes you gay?

His name is Hobie. :colbert:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
There is no one size fits all when it comes to gayification. That is why there are so many Spider-Mans. Every one makes some people gay.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

As I was asking I was like 'Oh gently caress, are any of these characters even still around?' For some reason I know about the clone Spider-Man, Silk, Spiderwoman, scarlet spider I think?

Which clone?

There's about 4 or 5 of them now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Azubah posted:

Which clone?

They should bring in the Identity Crisis guises too Ricochet and Prodigy and, uh, the other two lol

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
"In every other universe, Gwen Stacy falls for Spider-Man. And in every other universe, it doesn't... end well."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDMg06hw97U&t=169s

This line was such a gut punch, especially the way her voice strains at the end. Perfect delivery. It's also very cool, on a meta level, to see Gwen finally get clued in to what most audience members knew throughout ITSV.

Beyond that, though, it's an incredible line because of what it implies. We now know that her escape to the Spider Society came with the following revelations:
- "Fate" is a real thing, in the form of canon events (at least according to Miguel, her savior).
- According to canon, Gwen Stacy is usually a supporting character to Spider-Man.
- According to canon, Gwen Stacy falls in love with Spider-Man.
- According to canon, Gwen Stacy's love of Spider-Man gets her killed.
- Miles Morales, the man she might very well love, is a threat to the universe by virtue of his very existence.

In the prologue, Gwen is already agonizing over the strain of being Spider-Woman, being her father's "nemesis", and being separated from Miles and her other Spider kin. She feels sad and isolated. Now, on top of that, she also has to process all these revelations. Even among an entire city of Spider People, she is an aberration. A Gwen Stacy who not only survived, but is the main character. She probably shouldn't be Spider-Woman. If she gets close to Miles, canon likely dictates that she should die for it. And even if she decides to risk it and survives, she might well indirectly destroy the entire multiverse.

Frankly, upon thinking about all of that, it's kind of shocking that she reached out to Miles at all in this movie. That's some next-level teenage angst.

...So yeah, I've been thinking about that line a lot, and then I had an awful idea.

Is Gwen going to die in the next movie?

Not as a helpless love interest, but as a heroic sacrifice to save Miles and/or his dad?

I think the signs are definitely there. She received a complete arc in this movie, and tied up her only "loose end" we are aware of in her universe; reconciling with her father. It would ironically check off a canon event for Miles (loss of a romantic interest), even as Miles thwarts the canon event of the captain's death. And it would add an extra layer of foreshadowing to the quote I began this post with.

(Ugh, I feel bad for even putting this thought out into the universe)

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 22, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't see Gwen dying in a movie whose central theme is likely to be 'canon is not inescapable'

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't see Gwen dying in a movie whose central theme is likely to be 'canon is not inescapable'
The message wouldn't be "canon is not inescapable". As I envision it, Miguel's worldview would be thoroughly repudiated by the end of the movie. Gwen would not be dying to give Miles a canon event. She would be doing it for her. Partly because she loves Miles, but mostly because saving people is what a Hero does, and she's as worthy of the title of Hero as anyone in the multiverse. She's not the girlfriend who gets killed off to motivate the hero; she's Goddamn Spider-Woman.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

there is no way Gwen is dying in the next movie

if anyone's going to sacrifice themselves, it's Miguel, after he realises he's wrong.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well done, you've come up with the worst way the third film can end.

Anyway Peter Porker is gonna sacrifice himself and come back to life a moment later

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel there's an interesting dynamic where Miguel is most suspicious of 'aberrant' Spider-people, but he is one, and most of his most trusted and respected agents are among the most aberrant from the Peter Parker archetype that's implied to be dominant. With even his favourite being the one that is literally an animate Lego figure, including in scale.

Also I've been trying not to make the joke but funny that Miguel's whole backstory has him literally doing the Rick and Morty thing is escaping into a universe where his family survived and taking up the place of a himself who didn't.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Spider-Noir goes down fighting after realizing Miguel is a Spider-Nazi and has to punch him in the face

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think there is a 100% chance that the writers do a fake-out death for Gwen Stacy, but a 0% chance of them doing it. On a meta level, it'd be insanely bad if either of the two leads die. Gwen dies so that Miles can live? Great, they fridged her for a dude's character growth. Miles dies so that Gwen can live? Great, another Black guy sacrificed for a white lady. The optics would be insanely bad

I do, however, suspect that Hobie is gonna die for Gwen to fulfil her obligatory captain death. He will be real pissed about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think none of the heroes are going to die because it is a fundamentally optimistic movie series.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If there is one lesson to be learned from Amazing Spider-Man 2 it’s “don’t kill Gwen, moron”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ImpAtom posted:

I think none of the heroes are going to die because it is a fundamentally optimistic movie series.

:hmmyes:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Chris Pine Spider-Man begs to differ. :)

DC Murderverse posted:

If there is one lesson to be learned from Amazing Spider-Man 2 it’s “don’t kill Gwen, moron”
I thought that was "Don't cast Paul Giamatti as Rhino".

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 22, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/balisonqs/status/1671654756656492544?t=tF0vR06VeyMpBiKLqBR4HA&s=19

Apparently there seems to be a slightly edited version of the movie out now? Anecdotally, Scarlet Spider's dialoguue when choking out Miles is different too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Beyond the Spiderverse is just Miles and Miles killing all the spidermans, John Wick style.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Azubah posted:

Which clone?

...Ben Reilly I think? I don't read any comics so I don't know about any of the events aside from getting recommendations on YouTube randomly or when something is so reviled that it breaks through like Red Skull reality cube creating Hydra agent Captain America.

Had a brief stint where I was watching Linkara videos but I fell off of that bus eventually.

Also no, they're not killing Gwen next movie. You're not introducing a secondary protagonist and having their story end three movies in, that's so unmarketable. Insomniac hasn't had a chance to make a game about her yet!

I really want someone totally out of left field to come in next movie. Like Tombstone as Spider-Man. Your friendly neighborhood wrecking ball.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 22, 2023

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

This is bringing up old, perma-banned SA weirdos, but I remember when the first movie came out, BravestOfLamps went on some whole conspiracy board ramble about Spider Gods controlling the narrative of the universe and how none of the Peters can escape fate, Miles is dooming himself to destiny, yadda yadda yadda, all for his usual gimmick of insisting Popular Thing Bad Actually.

And I've just been getting a sick amount of pleasure for weeks that 1. Across the Spider-Verse so heavily involves fighting against narrative fate and 2. he's so banned he can't even bounce around claiming he's right.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Frankly I'm surprised they haven't announced a Gwen movie yet. She's one of Sony's most popular characters now and easily their most popular heroine.

Instead we have.. Kraven.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

there's a fundamental mismatch between the movies that have all villains and no spider man and these films which may in fact have too many spider men

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My understanding of the Sony-Disney legal situation is that because the Gwen that people care about is a Spider-Person, Sony doesn't have full rights to her unlike the Spider-man adjacent characters like Kraven and Morbius.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

koolkal posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they haven't announced a Gwen movie yet. She's one of Sony's most popular characters now and easily their most popular heroine.

Doing a Gwen movie (especially a live-action one) before the massively succesful animated movies have reached a narrative end would be stupid. So would be trying to make a live-action Miles movie - just why?

of course trying to do a Sinister Six story the hardest way, by slowly releasing movies about Spider-Man villains that haven't met Spider-Man is also the dumbest idea in movie franchise history (or at the same level as the DARK UNIVERSE)

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 22, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fatherboxx posted:

Doing a Gwen movie (especially a live-action one) before the massively succesful animated movies have reached a narrative end would be stupid. So would be trying to make a live-action Miles movie - just why?

greed

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

koolkal posted:

There's been persistent rumours she's getting her own spinoff.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Also sounds like we're getting Gwen variants in Beyond so if the narrative does swing toward "she's an aberration too" she's gonna be getting back-up.

if we don't get the gwenom suit on screen i riot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
no, riot is a different symbiote

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Pitch in sony media hq:

Live action $wenp$$l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume